Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Seeking Advice for Configuring New 2012 AV PC
[Post New]
I am seeking expert advice for configuring a new home PC for the primary purpose of Editing and Rendering (Encoding) the following AV files:

298GB, 10.75hrs, 22 files of HD-AVI video (recently converted 8mm, 16mm and Super8 film).
81.6GB, 239 files and growing (*.MTS) video from my Sony HDR-CX550V camcorder (AVCHD).
20 Hi-8 video cassettes (40 hours) to be converted to PC digital files (will upscale if applicable).

Please refer to the attached MS Word document for details.
 Filename
Seeking Advice for Configuring 2012 AV PC for CyberLink Forum -- 012412.doc
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
46 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
370 time(s)
James1
Senior Contributor Location: Surrey, B.C., Canada Joined: Jun 10, 2010 16:20 Messages: 1783 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
I had a PC built using the following:
Windows 7 64Bit
Asus (new motherboard with Sandy bridge revision)
Intel i7 2600 3.4Gh processor
GeForce 560T 1MB memory processor
12Gb Ram
1,5 Terabyte Hardrive: and an external 1.5 terabyte usB drive
With this setup I have had no problem with PD10 Ultra.
Video editing is CPU intense and memory hungry for systems.
Jim
p.s I got a small family computer shop to adapt a computer package with the gefroce 560t accelerator rather than the one they offered. Intel i7-2600@3.4Gz Geforce 560ti-1GB Graphic accelerator, windows 7 Premium 12GB memory

Visit GranPapa64's channel for your YouTube experience of the day!
[Post New]
Thank you for your prompt and thoughtful response.

I will pay close attention to the final CPU and Memory configurations based on your recommendations.
Graeme1946 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 15, 2008 17:51 Messages: 46 Offline
[Post New]
Hi . James1. Your computer specks sounds very good and you stated you have no problems editing. Very rare if you have read this forum. The biggest problem is freezing on the timeline and carring through to the finished product.Can you supply your ( Windows experience index)---Start--control--system--then the blue windows experience index line. That gives you how each part performs and the lowest reading is the bottle neck that limits your computer performance. Mine is 5.9 on the primary hard drive and the rest is 7.9 7.9 7.4 7.4. Going to be interesting what your lowest reading is. Graeme
James1
Senior Contributor Location: Surrey, B.C., Canada Joined: Jun 10, 2010 16:20 Messages: 1783 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
Here is the Index:
Processor: 7.7
Memory(ram)7.7
Graphics: 7.8
Gaming graphics: 7.7
primary Harddrive 5.9
Apparently any mechanical hard drive is 5.9 regardless
I am running the latest Nvidia driver 285.??
Jim
p.s sometimes through Firefox my video driver Kernel re-boots firefox browser. And my processor has no tweaks

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 24. 2012 17:32

Intel i7-2600@3.4Gz Geforce 560ti-1GB Graphic accelerator, windows 7 Premium 12GB memory

Visit GranPapa64's channel for your YouTube experience of the day!
Robert2 S
Senior Contributor Location: Australia Joined: Apr 22, 2009 05:57 Messages: 1461 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Your computer specks sounds very good and you stated you have no problems editing. Very rare if you have read this forum.

Come on Graeme, that's a bit unfair. 99% of the people come here because they are having problems, that is what the forum is for. People rarely visit forums to say how great a piece of software is.

For me I have no problems at all with my video editing as my 180 youtube videos show. The main reason being I have a computer powerful enough to edit videos.

So many people come here with underpowered, out of date computers, especially lap tops and moan and complain that PowerDirector is no good, when the problem is their computer.

I am not saying PowerDirector is perfect, no software is. At least it doesn't cost $800-$1,000 like the stuff from Adobe and Sony does. Even those high prices don't protect you from software bugs and problems.

My youtube channel====> http://www.youtube.com/user/relate2?feature=mhsn
garioch7
Senior Contributor Location: Port Hood, Nova Scotia, Canada Joined: Feb 07, 2011 06:45 Messages: 852 Offline
[Post New]
James1: I have two Velociraptor 600 GB drives (10,000 RPM) in RAID0. They are my bottleneck, but my HD score is 6.2, not 5.9, so apparently mechanical hard drives can break through the 5.9 Experience Score barrier.

My new system "eats" video editing. Rendering that formerly took 2 hours plus, is now done in less than 10 minutes. I am delighted with new computer and the great support from the company as well.

Have a great day.

Regards,
-Phil Windows 10 Pro x64
Dell XPS 8930
Intel CoreT i7 (4.6 GHz)
32 GB DDR4-2666 RAM
1 TB PCIe -x4 SSD
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060
PD14 Ultimate x64, 4207
CD4 Ultra and AD6 Ultra
Bleeping Computer Malware Response Instructor