Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
I finally completely resolved the problem I was having, and I know why PD10 output from my old laptop played on my blu-ray player while PD10 output from my new laptop wouldn't.

When producing a video with the old laptop (Windows XP Home SP2 with an AMD Turion processor) PD10 does not automatically select SVRT for rendering purposes. With the new machine (Windows 7 Home Premium with an Intel COREi5 processor) SVRT is automatically selected ... something I had not noticed until very recently. So, I rendered with SVRT turned off and (drum roll, please) the video plays perfectly on my blu-ray player!

Thought I'd pass this along ... and thanks again to everyone who responded to my plea for help.
Thanks to everyone for your support and ideas. The good news is I have resolved the problem. The bad news is that I can't say exactly why I had the problem to begin with.

PD 10 discs created on the old laptop played just fine everywhere ... including the blu-ray player. When they were created on the new laptop they would play everywhere except the blu-ray player. That led me to conclude that the problem was somewhere in the new laptop. I could only think of one action I could take with the laptop, and that was to uninstall PD 10 and then reinstall it. After the reinstallation I put together a quick and dirty project, then burned an ACVHD disc (uisng 720p clips and authoring as in a 720p format). It played on my blu-ray player!

Why was the first install problematic? I have no idea (and right now I'm just happy to be up and running).

Thanks again to all of you.

Jim
Thanks for your help and persistence.

Discs burned on either laptop play on both laptops and both players (dvd and blu-ray). The only thing that won't play is a disc burned on the new laptop when it is inserted into the blu-ray player. Even then, the menu launches and operates as it should. It is the only the video behind the menu that won't play. By the way, the new laptop will play an AVCHD disc burned on that player, not just mpeg-2 SD.

Is that weird or what?
I thought of another test. I don't know if this will help identify the problem, but it may at least eliminate one of two possibilities.

I burned a data dvd+r using jpg files, to see whether my blu-ray player could read a different file format created on my new laptop. No problem! The blu-ray players functions and it should and the photos all display perfectly. This makes me suspect that there is something in the PD video file that is confusing my blu-ray play (and myself as well).

Could a setting be out of whack? What setting might confuse a blu-ray player but not confuse a dvd player?
jerrys,

Both productions run on the old laptop, the new laptop and the old dvd player. The production created on the old PC runs on the blu-ray player, but the production created on the new PC will not run on the blu-ray player. Is an exorcism in order here?
Thanks to all of you for your suggestions. I had already update the firmware in my blu-ray player, and the update didn't work any better than the previous version. I tried several other things to eliminate or at least isolate the problem. I went with no menu, purchased and burned dvd-r media and burned a disc with ImgBurn. No luck.

I did think of another possibility that doesn't involve PD 10, discs or even (I think) my blu-ray player.

I purchased PD in the middle of last week. Then Friday my laptop had a siezure of the hard disc variety. It took a couple of hours to bring it back to life, and it's still on life support. So early Saturday morning I was at the local big box store picking up a new laptop. It's got a Core i5 processor, 6gb of memory, and comes with Windows 7 Home Premium. That's the machine I was using to learn PD. Since my old machine (AMD Turion, 2gb memeory, and Windows XP Home) still works (I haven't shut it down since I can't be sure it will restart), I decided to give it a try. I constructed a very simple project and burned a disc. It worked on my blu-ray player! Next I duplicated that project on my new laptop. It will play on my old (not a blu-ray) player, but it won't play and the blu-ray machine.

So, it seems the problem is either with Windows 7 or the disc drive ... or some combination of the two ... that makes the output unplayable (including mpeg-2 standard def videos)!

Ideas anyone (I haven't got a clue!)?

Thanks for
I took everyone's advice and purchased PD 10 Ultra, and decided to take a few minutes of gargage video and "learn by doing." I am having a problem that isn't making a lot of sense (to me at least).

My first effort was to take 720p clips, generate an AVHCD video and burn it to a regular dvd (not blu-ray). When I put that in my blu-ray player the menu popped up okay, but it wouldn't play. When I hit the play button I got perhaps one second of audio but no video, and the whole thing reverted to the menu again.

Thinking I may have done something wrong in the production process, I took the same project and this time went with mpeg-2 instead of AVHCD. I put that in my blu-ray player and (drum roll, please) got the same problematic result. So I took that disc and put it into an old dvd (not blu-ray) player hooked up to a different set and it works!

The blu-ray player is a Panasonic bd65 and I was burning to dvd+r media. I have other dvd+r discs I created (not using PD) that work in that same blu-ray player, and the literature says the player can handle dvd+r media. The firmware on the player is completely up to date.

I'm hoping one of you will have some idea what's going on. I sure don't have one.

Help!

jmone,

Therein lies problem. I have the trial version for evaluation purposes, and there is no AVCHD support in the trial version. I'm ready to purchase ... as long as I know which version I need.

Thanks again!

Jim
jmone,

Thanks for the help. Do I need Ultra, or will the Deluxe version do the job?

Jim
I want to be able to burn 720p videos to a DVD (not blu-ray) using PD10. I seem to recall reading somewhere that this can be done in a format the is playable only on blu-ray players. Is this true? Does is require Ultra or is PD10 Deluxe up to the task? How do I do it?

Thanks!

Jim
Go to: