Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
I have to say, as a new user of just over a month, I'm quite pleased with PD10. I'm a relative newbie to video editing, having only used Windows Movie Maker on XP machines previously. After lurking on PD9 and PD10 forums until I upgraded to capable hardware, I was leery about buying PD10 and potentially having lots of problems. On the contrary, I've had only a couple of slight, non-recurring glitches, and I've found the learning curve to be fairly easy and intuitive.

So far, my focus has been on HS soccer videos and putting together a highlight video for my son's college recruiting efforts. I've had to trim dozens of clips down, create titles, add slow-motion, overlay music, and overlay subtitles. I was able to figure it all out without consulting any documentation, and it's really nice having reasonable flexibility in how you want it to appear.

I just wanted to add my $0.02 for anyone who might be as concerned as I was after lurking on this forum. If you have capable hardware, I think you'll find this program fun and effective to use.

Am.
Thanks for the replies everyone. Pax 123 - I assume your Asus with the Nvidia uses Optimus? If so, do you have any issues with it? It seems some people are having issues with Optimus such that PD9 doesn't always manage to switch on the graphics card. I'm leaning toward going with a Sager 8130 which has the GTX560m and NO Optimus. Battery life will suffer, but I only occasionally run on battery anyway. Sounds as if the Sager will handle anything I can throw at it for now.

AM.
Thanks, Neil!

Yes, I'm aware that laptops have not been the preferred hardware for video editing, though my impression is that the newest higher-end sandy bridge quad core laptops should be reasonably capable units for someone like me who is just looking to edit personal family videos.

The Nvidia cards that utilize Optimus technology (e.g., GT540) seem as if they would be adequate GPU's, but some people seem to be reporting problems with PD9. Of course, a desktop version of the same card would not have a problem due to the lack of this Optimus issue (Optimus is mobile-GPU technology which switches off the GPU to save battery life).

Hence, my impression is that these newest laptops should be fine for my needs IF I make sure to get a video card that works properly. I'm just not sure if I need to spend the extra $$ for something like the GTX560, or can I get by fine with something significantly less expensive?

I'm no expert it this stuff, so if someone can point out reasons I'm being naive, I'd love to hear it.

AM.

Hello everyone. Been lurking for awhile, and now have a question. I'm shopping for a new laptop for which the most demanding task will be editing 1080/60P video from my Panasonic TM700 camcorder. Hence, I want to spend enough to comfortably run PD9 without going overboard on hardware specs.

From all I've researched, it appears something with a 2630 I-7 processors (quad core, sandy bridge) is about right. It's really the video card choice which confuses me. The Nvidia GTX560 (just replaced the 460) seems like a safe bet, though perhaps it's actually more than I need? I seem to have run across users who have encountered problems with the slightlly older Nvidia cards using Optimus (battery saving - graphics switching) technology. I've also noticed many users with problems using any of the AMD/ATI cards. Perhaps I'm over-analyzing this and the onboard Sandy Bridge graphics would actually be adequate?

I would love to get some feedback regarding these choices.

AM.
Go to: