Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Laptop Specs
Attacking Mid
Newbie Location: Colorado Joined: Jun 06, 2011 21:03 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
Hello everyone. Been lurking for awhile, and now have a question. I'm shopping for a new laptop for which the most demanding task will be editing 1080/60P video from my Panasonic TM700 camcorder. Hence, I want to spend enough to comfortably run PD9 without going overboard on hardware specs.

From all I've researched, it appears something with a 2630 I-7 processors (quad core, sandy bridge) is about right. It's really the video card choice which confuses me. The Nvidia GTX560 (just replaced the 460) seems like a safe bet, though perhaps it's actually more than I need? I seem to have run across users who have encountered problems with the slightlly older Nvidia cards using Optimus (battery saving - graphics switching) technology. I've also noticed many users with problems using any of the AMD/ATI cards. Perhaps I'm over-analyzing this and the onboard Sandy Bridge graphics would actually be adequate?

I would love to get some feedback regarding these choices.

AM. Videographer of grass and sky.... and a bit of youth soccer when I hold the camera level!
CubbyHouseFilms
Senior Contributor Location: Melbourne, Australia Joined: Jul 14, 2009 04:23 Messages: 2208 Offline
[Post New]
Hi AM

Welcome to the forum

The use of a 'laptop' for High Definition video editing is often 'frowned' upon

However; at the end of my signature are my laptop specs, which have served me well for PD8 and (mostly) for PD9.

Hope this helps

Happing editing

Best Regards

Neil
CubbyHouseFilms

My Youtube Channel
My Vimeo Channel
PD3.5, 5, 6 & 7. Computer: Dell Dimension 5150, Intel Pen. 2.80 GHz, 2GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8600GT 256MB, Windows XP Pro!!
PD8 Ultra v3022. Computer: Dell Studio 1747, Intel, i7 Q740 1.73 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 560v 1GB, Windows 7 Ult. 64
PD10 Ultra v2023. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD12 Ultra v2930. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD13 Ultim v3516. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD16 Live v2101 Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 16GB RAM, ATI Mob.Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
Director Suite 6: PowerDirector 16 Live, PhotoDirector 9, ColorDirector 6, AudioDirector 8

Cameras: Sony(s) HXR-NX5P, HXR-NX70P, NEX-VG10E, a6300 4k, HDR TG5E, GoPro 4 Black, Canon 6D DSLR

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
- PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!

Attacking Mid
[Post New]
Thanks, Neil!

Yes, I'm aware that laptops have not been the preferred hardware for video editing, though my impression is that the newest higher-end sandy bridge quad core laptops should be reasonably capable units for someone like me who is just looking to edit personal family videos.

The Nvidia cards that utilize Optimus technology (e.g., GT540) seem as if they would be adequate GPU's, but some people seem to be reporting problems with PD9. Of course, a desktop version of the same card would not have a problem due to the lack of this Optimus issue (Optimus is mobile-GPU technology which switches off the GPU to save battery life).

Hence, my impression is that these newest laptops should be fine for my needs IF I make sure to get a video card that works properly. I'm just not sure if I need to spend the extra $$ for something like the GTX560, or can I get by fine with something significantly less expensive?

I'm no expert it this stuff, so if someone can point out reasons I'm being naive, I'd love to hear it.

AM.

Videographer of grass and sky.... and a bit of youth soccer when I hold the camera level!
Bubba in TX
Senior Contributor Location: Central Texas Joined: Dec 12, 2009 21:32 Messages: 1332 Offline
[Post New]
The video card (integrated shared memory type) is usually the stumbling block in new Laptops and new desktops....

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jun 07. 2011 17:13

CyberLink PowerDirector 10 Tutorials
PDtoots PowerDirector Tutorials

**NOTICE**
When you are asked to provide a DXDIAG you go the following link and do part "B". Your posted specs are NOT what we are looking for as they tell us nothing. The specs on the box of your computer mean nothing. The DXDIAG shows us how your computer is configured as it runs.

DXDIAG Link
[Post New]
AM;
Edited by Author..as he wasn't paying attention..Forgive me!!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 07. 2011 17:25

BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
My Dv7 gobbles up 1280x720 as a nice appetizer.
A main course of 1440x1080 may cause me to sit back and take a breath (adjust preview quality).
1920? Gimme a Bromo! (stuttery).
Add effects/power tools/fixes, and you'll need to adjust preview quality, wait for things to catch up a bit, or enable "shadow files", or all of the afore mentioned.
That being said, my laptop enables me to do anything I need, and there are better laptops out now.
A good gaming laptop is not necesserily a good video laptop.
Get the right laptop, you CAN edit HD.
My DM1 will also work, but I can't play too many tricks, and I must use shadow files.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 07. 2011 19:45

HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
Pax 123 [Avatar]
Senior Member Location: Miami, Florida Joined: Feb 25, 2010 06:35 Messages: 282 Offline
[Post New]
Hi AM,

My laptop specs are below. It is over a year old now, used on PD8 & 9 with never a hiccup. I gradually came to use it in preference to my desktop. Right now, I am watching the NBA finals with my laptop on my lap, but it could easily be video editing instead. I personally think laptops are the way to go nowadays for video editing. Its not a gamble anymore. You are tuned in on what to look for.

Pax Laptop PC, ASUS
Core i7 Q 720
Win 7, 64-bit
RAM 8GB DDR2
Graphics, NVIDIA GeForce GTS 360M 1GB DDR5
Cranston
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Aug 17, 2007 02:26 Messages: 1667 Offline
[Post New]
Hi AM,

Just 2 more cents worth.

As you can see, you got some very diverse answers here to your question. And that’s because it really all depends on what you are going to be doing in your video editing pursuits.

If you are primarily making slideshows, or just transferring your HD footage from your camera to a couple of timelines in your PD, and more or less just using PD as a transfer device to archive your footage to a DVD, with a trim or two here and there, and a couple of fade transitions between them, and perhaps an opening static title, then a decent laptop should be fine.

But, if you are planning on doing things, like for instance Barry does, where there are multiple tracks in play and layered at any given time. And many effects, and PIP motion, and particles, enhancing the production. And PowerTools’ stabilization, perhaps applied to most sequences, and also some sequences set to play in reverse. And a project where you have 21 tracks active, with an additional 7 audio tracks filled with sound effects and audio beds, then… just as Barry, you may have to do things like lowering your preview resolution, or pre-produce some sequences, or use shadow edit files, and all the rest of the bag of tricks necessary to get by.

Different users and members, attempt and execute very different things with their PD9.
So that’s why one often sees a lot of different perspectives offered, to forum questions that ask... Will this rig be good enough?

Yes, there are common guidelines as to what specs are necessary to make PD purr like a kitten. But I maintain that it “mostly” depends on the type and intensity of editing that you normally do.
So, if some says… No, a laptop won’t cut it. Or, if someone else tells you… Yes, it is the best way to go. It’s only good advice, if the advice you choose to accept, is coming from someone who generally does the same thing that you also generally want to do with your PD9.

A $2300 desktop, may be overkill if you are primarily making 20 minute DVDs of your dog chasing a Frisbee in your back yard.
But, a $900 laptop may fall short, if you also would like to attempt to make the next Star Wars sequel.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 07. 2011 22:30

Click here PDtoots for a collection of PowerDirector Tutorials and Tips
James W
Senior Contributor Location: Lakeland, FL USA Joined: Aug 18, 2008 10:36 Messages: 911 Offline
[Post New]
My laptop is 5 years old and it works just fine with PD9 and I edit 1920x1080i AVCHD. However, I rarely have more than one video track and I don't go overkill on the special effects. What Cranston said is good advice. Q9300 2.5 GHz
4 GB Ram
Nvidia 9800 GT
Pax 123 [Avatar]
Senior Member Location: Miami, Florida Joined: Feb 25, 2010 06:35 Messages: 282 Offline
[Post New]
Hi AM,

I have been out of pocket for a few days and make this post to sort of follow up on my earlier post. I have a quad core desk top in addition to my laptop. There are a few editing chores that I continue to use my desk top for, but on the whole, I use my laptop. It out performs my desktop and the mobility simply makes the whole thing more enjoyable.

Having said that, it should also be said that the desk top will last longer, because it runs cooler; it is easier to replace or change components, or to upgrade and you will tend to have a larger monitor. However, the laptop has one additional plus. I can easily plug it into my LCD, 1080, 40" TV with an HDMI cable and view hd video from a file while making editing decisions or fine tuning a clip. My TV is in a different room than my desktop.

As has been said above, it all depends on what you are looking for and on the care with which you make your decisions. But again, if you want a laptop, you need not be concerned about its capability, so long as you get one with the appropriate capacity. If you do opt for a laptop, I would suggest you make sure it can take at least 8 GB of RAM. Most of them cannot. PD9 works very well with with a 64 bit configuration, so I wouldn't even consider anything other than Windows 7. My desktop is older. It has XP and it works well too.

Pax

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 12. 2011 18:00

Laptop PC, ASUS
Core i7 Q 720
Win 7, 64-bit
RAM 8GB DDR2
Attacking Mid
[Post New]
Thanks for the replies everyone. Pax 123 - I assume your Asus with the Nvidia uses Optimus? If so, do you have any issues with it? It seems some people are having issues with Optimus such that PD9 doesn't always manage to switch on the graphics card. I'm leaning toward going with a Sager 8130 which has the GTX560m and NO Optimus. Battery life will suffer, but I only occasionally run on battery anyway. Sounds as if the Sager will handle anything I can throw at it for now.

AM. Videographer of grass and sky.... and a bit of youth soccer when I hold the camera level!
Pax 123 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Am,

I do not know whether or not my video card uses Optimus. I did not see it in my Dxdiag file and I do not have software by that name. As you can see, my laptop does use Nvidea.

Pax Laptop PC, ASUS
Core i7 Q 720
Win 7, 64-bit
RAM 8GB DDR2