Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
@RobertJ/OZ

My post was targeted to the very many PD9 users who are interested in using Divx codec (this thread has been read more than 1800 times). You state that you are not interested in PD9, but for whatever reason, you felt compelled to "explain" me where *I* was wrong!

I personally use most of the time Vegas 9 Pro 64, but from time to time I also, use less expensive applications which I particularly appreciate, like PD9, Womble MPEG Video Wizard DVD and TMPGenc Video Mastering Works. My personal preferences in video eiditing software have nothing to do though, with my posts on this forum. You may be certain that EVERY TIME I post, I know what I'm talking about. As I said, I would have expected something else from someone who's obviously pretty comfortable in the computers world.
AnyDVD will allow you to import your commercial DVD into PD or any other video editing application.
@RobertJ/OZ

I'm surprised that you too, did not understand what I'm talking about! Reading through the forum, you come up as one of the most computer literate active members of this forum. I've pasted below part of my previous post, where I was explaining what were the problems with DivX in PDR9 32 bit, BEFORE update 2930. Summarized, before 2930, the "Codec Settings" button for DivX codec was grayed out and most of the other fields. Also, the frame size was restricted to either 640x480 and 320x240 or 640x360 and 320x180 for 16:9. Now, because the "Codec Settings" button became available with 2930, any frame size can be used, up to 1920x1080 and 1280x720, including custom frame sizes (720x400 for example, or anything you want).

So Robert, you didn't have problems before 2930 with Divx 32, because you were using only the options which Cyberlink allowed you to use. Now, you can do HD avi AND *CUSTOM FRAME SIZES* which were not available before 2930 and are available ONLY when using Divx 32 on a PDR9 32 bit installation. All the other Produce options can use only fixed frame sizes allowed by Cyberlink.

Please read below my previous explanation of what was wrong with DivX 32 bit, before 2930:

"PD9 32 bit has also problems with using the Divx 32 bit codec (Divx didn't release a 64 bit codec yet, although its latest version installs its codec files under "syswow64" instead of "system32"!!!!). When installed on a 64 bit computer (probably on a 32 bit computer as well), Divx shows up under AVI Produce module, the third after "DV" and "Windows AVI". However, when the Settings buttons is used, the "Divx 6.9.2 YV12 Decoder" is listed in the "Compression codec" field instead of "Divx 6.9.2 codec". The fields "Keyframe per" and "Data rate" are grayed out and inaccessible. Grayed out and inaccessible is the "Codec Settings" button as well, which is for calling the Divx codec interface. Under the "Video/Audio Settings" tab, the "Frame(s)", "Video Size" and "Colors" are grayed out and inaccessible also. Although the Divx codec shows up as a separate entry in the AVI Produce module, it can be used only to create 640x480 (640x360), 320x240 (320x180) or 160x120 (160x90) videos, with no control of the video bitrate. "Windows AVI", for unknown reasons, is available only in 4:3 AR. The Divx codec does not appear in the list of 32 bit codecs available for "Windows AVI" producing."
Barry, I don't understand what your comment has to do with the information I've provided in my last post?! My post is about PD9 32 bit which uses, obviously, DivX 32 bit codec. What have the 64 bid PDR9 installations to do with what I was talking about?
I haven't used PowerDirector 9 for a while, but a few days ago when I did, I discovered there is a new update, 2930, for the program. After I've installed the update I was pleased to notice that the "Codec Settings" button for DivX is no longer grayed out, and now fully accessible. Consequently, we can use PowerDirector 9 32 bit to encode to avi container with divx video codec, including HD content up to 1080p. The DivX codec interface is very detailed allowing many tweaks, including frame size, pixel aspect ratio, display aspect ratio, etc...

It seems that Cyberlink do listen to what Dafydd is passing them from the discussions in the forums!!

If they remove the weird limitation of only 24 KHz for MP3 audio sample rate, we will be eventually able to create HD avi files with divx/mp3 video/audio directly in PD9 32, without an extra step of going to avidemux to re-encode the audio from PCM to MP3.
@Dafydd

" Xvid has never been viewable in PD"

There must be some kind of confusion with the affirmation above. PowerDirector, 7, 8 and 9 (which I've used) never had any problems to open multimedia files where the video stream was encoded with a codec of the MPEG-4 Part 2 (MPEG-4 ASP) family. Xvid is the open source version of the DivX codec, which was originally a hack of Microsoft MPEG-4 Part 2 codec. When DivX re-wrote their code from scratch and decided to go commercial, the Xvid project was born and development of this excellent and VERY stable codec continues today in the open source public domain. Actually, more than 60% of the AVI files in existence, are encoded with the Xvid codec. PowerDirector uses its INTERNAL decoders to open files with video streams in the MPEG-4 Part 2 family, including those with Xvid video.

The EXTERNAL 32 bit version of the Xvid codec, can be used by the 32 bit version of PD9, for ENCODING. If the codec is installed on the 32 or 64 bit Windows machine, it shows up in the list of available video compressors, but not as a separate AVI produce option, like DivX, but under the video compressors available for "Windows AVI". Unlike for Divx, the access to Xvid codec interface is not blocked by Cyberlink and all the options for configuring the codec are available.

Unfortunately, Cyberlink decided to restrict encoding in "Windows AVI" to only 4:3 aspect ratio AND to block HD output by hardcoding only three available frame sizes, 320x240, 640x480 and 1024x768, all SD. DivX is even more restricted for frame size, 640x480 being the maximum size it can use in 4:3 AR, but unlike "Windows AVI", can also use 16:9 aspect ratio at a maximum of 640x360.

I want to stress here that AVI container DOES NOT have any problems with the 16:9 aspect ratio or any other aspect ratio. PowerDirector is the ONLY video editor I know which forces the 4:3 aspect ratio as the sole option for encoding to "Windows AVI" (Vfw or Video for Windows). Also, all MPEG-4 Part 2 video compressors are VERY stable and very processor friendly, requiring a lot less CPU power for encoding than say MPEG-4 Part 10 (AVC) or Microsoft VC-1.

Another unexplainable restriction forced by Cyberlink, related to the AVI container, is with the MP3 audio codec. MP3 is one of the oldest, the most stable and with the least video/audio synchronization problems. However, Cyberlink restricts the sample rate for MP3 audio encoding to only 24 KHz, which was probably acceptable in mid and late 90's, but can not be seriously considered for audio encoding these days.

I must add that I really love PowerDirector. At a price under $100 it is so reach in cool and some unique features, that it REALLY stands out among the NLEs for consumers. That's why I find infuriating when human decisions, unrelated to programming, complexity, stability or usability concerns, cripple an important part of the video editing process, i.e. encoding to the widely used AVI container.
@BarryTheCrab

"As for Divx 64, I wrote to them just a few weeks ago, and they had no plans to create a 64 bit codec for use with a 64 bit NLE system, so in this case, I am not so sure CL is the culprit."

I've mentioned in my post above that it doesn't matter if 64 bit codecs are available or not. PowerDirector 9 64 bit is NOT made to use external 64 or 32 bit codecs, period. As I said, there is a 64 bit Lagarith codec and a 64 bit Xvid codec, but they are invisible for PD9 64 bit, even if installed and available to other produce/render modules, like those in Sony Vegas 64 bit. Consequently, CL is the culprit.

I wrote the instructions on how to install PD9 32 bit on a Windows 64 bit system. That workaround gives access to Divx 32 bit codec (if installed), but only for SD output. The Divx HD output is blocked by Cyberlink, because they've disabled the access to the fields related to frame size, video bitrate, aspect ratio, etc... AND to the Divx codec interface. They also blocked the Xvid HD output because they limit the frame size to a maximum 1024x768 for "Windows AVI".
PD9 64 bit development is incomplete when it comes to using external 64 bit codecs. I have Lagarith 64 bit and Xvid 64 bit installed on my Windows 7 64 bit computer. Vegas Pro 64 bit can render using both 64 bit codecs. PD9 64 bit doesn't see any external codecs, 64 bit or 32 bit (32 bit codecs are not seen by any 64 bit encoder).

PD9 32 bit has also problems with using the Divx 32 bit codec (Divx didn't release a 64 bit codec yet, although its latest version installs its codec files under "syswow64" instead of "system32"!!!!). When installed on a 64 bit computer (probably on a 32 bit computer as well), Divx shows up under AVI Produce module, the third after "DV" and "Windows AVI". However, when the Settings buttons is used, the "Divx 6.9.2 YV12 Decoder" is listed in the "Compression codec" field instead of "Divx 6.9.2 codec". The fields "Keyframe per" and "Data rate" are grayed out and inaccessible. Grayed out and inaccessible is the "Codec Settings" button as well, which is for calling the Divx codec interface. Under the "Video/Audio Settings" tab, the "Frame(s)", "Video Size" and "Colors" are grayed out and inaccessible also. Although the Divx codec shows up as a separate entry in the AVI Produce module, it can be used only to create 640x480 (640x360), 320x240 (320x180) or 160x120 (160x90) videos, with no control of the video bitrate. "Windows AVI", for unknown reasons, is available only in 4:3 AR. The Divx codec does not appear in the list of 32 bit codecs available for "Windows AVI" producing. However, if you also have Xvid 32 bit installed, this codec (very similar to Divx, but free) shows up in the list of 32 bit external codecs, but can be used only for producing 4:3 AR output, since "Windows AVI" is not available (WHY??!!) for 16:9 projects.

Fortunately, the "Codec Settings" button is not grayed out for Xvid and you can choose a 16:9 DAR (Display Aspect Ratio) inside its interface, thus producing anamorphic footage which will play in VLC, KMPlayer, SMPlayer, MPC Home Cinema, etc... (but not Windows Media Player) in a 16:9 window at the correct aspect ratio. You can also choose a 2.35:1 DAR, or a 2.39:1 DAR in Xvid codec interface. This way, your Xvid output encoded, let's say at 1024x768, will play in a 1836x768 window if the DAR was setup in Xvid interface at 2.39:1. This is how I get almost HD quality AVIs from PD9.

The only problem is that the AVI file produced using anamorphic Xvid video, has PCM uncompressed audio (one can not seriously consider encoding audio at 24KHz sample rate). The solution is to encode only the audio of this AVI file to MP3 or AC3 using something like Avidemux, ffmpeg, mencoder, etc... and just copy the video stream to the new AVI file.

I wonder why is Cyberlink so much against the AVI container, considering that, although it is among the oldest multimedia containers, it is also the MOST widely used all over the Internet and on most computers???!!!
Glad to be of help!

Remember to use the same procedure when you install any future patches.
@Amy113071

I've PM-ed you the instructions, but I don't know if you received them or not. You can confirm here, so I can sleep well!
I didn't create an user name yet. I'll create one if I can't PM you as a "newbie"! I'll send you instructions in a few minutes. Have fun!
@Amy113071

I had the same problem you describe, but with encoding to the lossless codec Lagarith. I discovered that PD 64 bit doesn't see any of the codecs installed on your computer, even if you do have 64 bit versions of codecs (like I have Lagarith 64 bit and Xvid 64 bit). I was about to go back to PD8. like you intend to do, but I decided to take a look at the PD9 installation.

PD9 and PD8 can't coexist in the same Windows installation, although one installs in "Program Files" and one in "Program Files (x86)". If you simply try to install PD9 on a 64 bit machine it will install it's 64 bit version. If you try to install it on a 32 bit machine, it will install its 32 bit version. It doesn't mean you can't install the 32 bit version of PD9 on a 64 bit machine, which I already did, it is only not obvious and I don't know if it's encouraged by Cyberlink. If you want help with doing this, please post here and I'll PM you with instructions.

I should add that I've tested both version of PD9, 32 bit and 64 bit on the same computer running Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit, and I couldn't find any performance differences.
Go to: