Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
DivX
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
It is a fact that we will not have Divx in PD9, we must learn to live with that limitation. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
NicolasNY
Senior Contributor Location: Caracas Joined: Sep 28, 2008 17:49 Messages: 805 Offline
[Post New]
Robert....

Nice that DIVx works for you and you have a 64bit s..., but doenst work for me and bary. Thats all.

Why,doenst work for us?

We both have a Win7 64 same has you.... !

6 times edited becouse the bad words..... LOL

This message was edited 6 times. Last update was at Nov 27. 2010 01:14

RobertJ/OZ [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Melbourne Australia Joined: Aug 14, 2006 02:26 Messages: 1209 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Nicholas,

I have not stated that PDR9 has DivX operating on my new computer (64 bit). It is available in PDR9 on my laptop which is a 32 bit system. If I install PDR8 on the desktop then DivX will be available because PDR8 is 32 bit.

Robert Intel i7 930, 16GB ram, Radeon HD 5770 1Gb,Ver. 14.12 Win7 64 bit
Intel i7 7700 HQ, 16 GB ram Nvidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB dual drives 1 TB SSD + 1 TB HDD Win 10

PDtoots
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Hey Guys:

Divx claims that they have added 64 bit support.

http://labs.divx.com/node/13271 Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

RobertJ/OZ [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Melbourne Australia Joined: Aug 14, 2006 02:26 Messages: 1209 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Carl,

I installed that 'supposedly' 64 bit codec 2weeks ago, but it doesn't work with PDR9.

Robert Intel i7 930, 16GB ram, Radeon HD 5770 1Gb,Ver. 14.12 Win7 64 bit
Intel i7 7700 HQ, 16 GB ram Nvidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB dual drives 1 TB SSD + 1 TB HDD Win 10

PDtoots
NicolasNY
Senior Contributor Location: Caracas Joined: Sep 28, 2008 17:49 Messages: 805 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I have not stated that PDR9 has DivX operating on my new computer (64 bit)

Hi Robert,
Sorry, I thought I read that you had Divx enabled on your 64bit system. obviously read wrong.

Quote:
Hey Guys: ..Divx claims that they have added 64 bit support.

Thats the version of DivX plus i have on my computer and doesnt work with PD9

Regards,
Nicolas

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Nov 27. 2010 15:14

pjc3
Senior Member Location: Australia Joined: May 29, 2010 19:33 Messages: 247 Offline
[Post New]
Does this mean you can import and edit DivX but not export? Panasonic SD9, Panasonic TM700, Panasonic SD600, GoPro HD Hero.
HalCon
Senior Contributor Location: Charlottetown, PEI Joined: Mar 01, 2008 10:36 Messages: 719 Offline
[Post New]
Nicolas JNM,

DivX is not included in the export (produce) list that is just below the list that you show. Therefore I assume that
you can import and edit only.

See attached image.

Hal
[Thumb - PD9output.png]
 Filename
PD9output.png
[Disk]
 Description
PD9 export(produce) file types
 Filesize
21 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
327 time(s)
OS - Win11 Pro, Alienware R13, CPU - Intel Core I7-12700KF 12 CPUs), 16g DDR5 4400 RAM, Video - Geeforce RTX 3080ti 12g, PD11 & PD365
My YouTube
NicolasNY
[Post New]
You are right Hal
avreader1 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 16, 2011 08:54 Messages: 12 Offline
[Post New]
PD9 64 bit development is incomplete when it comes to using external 64 bit codecs. I have Lagarith 64 bit and Xvid 64 bit installed on my Windows 7 64 bit computer. Vegas Pro 64 bit can render using both 64 bit codecs. PD9 64 bit doesn't see any external codecs, 64 bit or 32 bit (32 bit codecs are not seen by any 64 bit encoder).

PD9 32 bit has also problems with using the Divx 32 bit codec (Divx didn't release a 64 bit codec yet, although its latest version installs its codec files under "syswow64" instead of "system32"!!!!). When installed on a 64 bit computer (probably on a 32 bit computer as well), Divx shows up under AVI Produce module, the third after "DV" and "Windows AVI". However, when the Settings buttons is used, the "Divx 6.9.2 YV12 Decoder" is listed in the "Compression codec" field instead of "Divx 6.9.2 codec". The fields "Keyframe per" and "Data rate" are grayed out and inaccessible. Grayed out and inaccessible is the "Codec Settings" button as well, which is for calling the Divx codec interface. Under the "Video/Audio Settings" tab, the "Frame(s)", "Video Size" and "Colors" are grayed out and inaccessible also. Although the Divx codec shows up as a separate entry in the AVI Produce module, it can be used only to create 640x480 (640x360), 320x240 (320x180) or 160x120 (160x90) videos, with no control of the video bitrate. "Windows AVI", for unknown reasons, is available only in 4:3 AR. The Divx codec does not appear in the list of 32 bit codecs available for "Windows AVI" producing. However, if you also have Xvid 32 bit installed, this codec (very similar to Divx, but free) shows up in the list of 32 bit external codecs, but can be used only for producing 4:3 AR output, since "Windows AVI" is not available (WHY??!!) for 16:9 projects.

Fortunately, the "Codec Settings" button is not grayed out for Xvid and you can choose a 16:9 DAR (Display Aspect Ratio) inside its interface, thus producing anamorphic footage which will play in VLC, KMPlayer, SMPlayer, MPC Home Cinema, etc... (but not Windows Media Player) in a 16:9 window at the correct aspect ratio. You can also choose a 2.35:1 DAR, or a 2.39:1 DAR in Xvid codec interface. This way, your Xvid output encoded, let's say at 1024x768, will play in a 1836x768 window if the DAR was setup in Xvid interface at 2.39:1. This is how I get almost HD quality AVIs from PD9.

The only problem is that the AVI file produced using anamorphic Xvid video, has PCM uncompressed audio (one can not seriously consider encoding audio at 24KHz sample rate). The solution is to encode only the audio of this AVI file to MP3 or AC3 using something like Avidemux, ffmpeg, mencoder, etc... and just copy the video stream to the new AVI file.

I wonder why is Cyberlink so much against the AVI container, considering that, although it is among the oldest multimedia containers, it is also the MOST widely used all over the Internet and on most computers???!!!
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
Other than Smartsound, Cyberlink seems to totally resist or ignore any other outside programs from being part of the PD interface. For good or ill, that seems to be a house rule.
It's Cyberlink script, or nuthin'.
As for Divx 64, I wrote to them just a few weeks ago, and they had no plans to create a 64 bit codec for use with a 64 bit NLE system, so in this case, I am not so sure CL is the culprit.
There is a link in this forum for directions to enable the Divx encoder on a 64 bit system to work with PD9, however it requires you to open the PD9 program installer in an app like 7zip, remove the 64 bit portion, and the install will revert to a 32 bit application by default.
I don't remember the exact procedure.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Mar 12. 2011 19:37

HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
avreader1 [Avatar]
[Post New]
@BarryTheCrab

"As for Divx 64, I wrote to them just a few weeks ago, and they had no plans to create a 64 bit codec for use with a 64 bit NLE system, so in this case, I am not so sure CL is the culprit."

I've mentioned in my post above that it doesn't matter if 64 bit codecs are available or not. PowerDirector 9 64 bit is NOT made to use external 64 or 32 bit codecs, period. As I said, there is a 64 bit Lagarith codec and a 64 bit Xvid codec, but they are invisible for PD9 64 bit, even if installed and available to other produce/render modules, like those in Sony Vegas 64 bit. Consequently, CL is the culprit.

I wrote the instructions on how to install PD9 32 bit on a Windows 64 bit system. That workaround gives access to Divx 32 bit codec (if installed), but only for SD output. The Divx HD output is blocked by Cyberlink, because they've disabled the access to the fields related to frame size, video bitrate, aspect ratio, etc... AND to the Divx codec interface. They also blocked the Xvid HD output because they limit the frame size to a maximum 1024x768 for "Windows AVI".
BarryTheCrab
[Post New]
What is the positive business outcome for CL from a decision like that? Everything is done for a reason, and I am perplexed how this helps CL's reputation and sales.
That is a question that is mostly rhetorical, as no one here would know the answer. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
During the creation of tutorials I found a solution for using a video screen capture program using the free 64bit Lagarith codec - the avi codec allowed the video to be edited in PD9 (I shared the codec and information to a number of editors here and to CyberLink's R&D section). I also found that the latest DivX codec had different problems and wouldn't often allow it to be used as a video screen capture codec (sometimes causing crash issues). The earlier 5.1.2 divXpro codec had no such problems.

It is only in 32bit as Barry has mentioned that DivX can be recognised and used. Xvid has never been viewable in PD. One of the reasons I believe that codec use is limited is to reduce the issue count, by this I mean the problems users have when editing and selecting third party codecs. There was a time when editors could gamble and select a whole raft of video codecs to render footage with - making variable selections and testing tweaking and trying to get the best out of the codec and their systems.

I have no control over what codec availability is in this first generation 64bit CyberLink program but I have mentioned codec selection issues to CyberLink a number of times and hope changes will occur for the 64bit user.

I will stress that stability is the key thing for users here (I believe) - CyberLink want editors to have a stable product and will only provide codec choices which give the end user that option.

Thanks
Dafydd
avreader1 [Avatar]
[Post New]
@Dafydd

" Xvid has never been viewable in PD"

There must be some kind of confusion with the affirmation above. PowerDirector, 7, 8 and 9 (which I've used) never had any problems to open multimedia files where the video stream was encoded with a codec of the MPEG-4 Part 2 (MPEG-4 ASP) family. Xvid is the open source version of the DivX codec, which was originally a hack of Microsoft MPEG-4 Part 2 codec. When DivX re-wrote their code from scratch and decided to go commercial, the Xvid project was born and development of this excellent and VERY stable codec continues today in the open source public domain. Actually, more than 60% of the AVI files in existence, are encoded with the Xvid codec. PowerDirector uses its INTERNAL decoders to open files with video streams in the MPEG-4 Part 2 family, including those with Xvid video.

The EXTERNAL 32 bit version of the Xvid codec, can be used by the 32 bit version of PD9, for ENCODING. If the codec is installed on the 32 or 64 bit Windows machine, it shows up in the list of available video compressors, but not as a separate AVI produce option, like DivX, but under the video compressors available for "Windows AVI". Unlike for Divx, the access to Xvid codec interface is not blocked by Cyberlink and all the options for configuring the codec are available.

Unfortunately, Cyberlink decided to restrict encoding in "Windows AVI" to only 4:3 aspect ratio AND to block HD output by hardcoding only three available frame sizes, 320x240, 640x480 and 1024x768, all SD. DivX is even more restricted for frame size, 640x480 being the maximum size it can use in 4:3 AR, but unlike "Windows AVI", can also use 16:9 aspect ratio at a maximum of 640x360.

I want to stress here that AVI container DOES NOT have any problems with the 16:9 aspect ratio or any other aspect ratio. PowerDirector is the ONLY video editor I know which forces the 4:3 aspect ratio as the sole option for encoding to "Windows AVI" (Vfw or Video for Windows). Also, all MPEG-4 Part 2 video compressors are VERY stable and very processor friendly, requiring a lot less CPU power for encoding than say MPEG-4 Part 10 (AVC) or Microsoft VC-1.

Another unexplainable restriction forced by Cyberlink, related to the AVI container, is with the MP3 audio codec. MP3 is one of the oldest, the most stable and with the least video/audio synchronization problems. However, Cyberlink restricts the sample rate for MP3 audio encoding to only 24 KHz, which was probably acceptable in mid and late 90's, but can not be seriously considered for audio encoding these days.

I must add that I really love PowerDirector. At a price under $100 it is so reach in cool and some unique features, that it REALLY stands out among the NLEs for consumers. That's why I find infuriating when human decisions, unrelated to programming, complexity, stability or usability concerns, cripple an important part of the video editing process, i.e. encoding to the widely used AVI container.
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
OK,
Xvid - gee, I could never get the beggar to show in PDx build.

I don't disagree with you. I've mentioned most of what you have posted to CL previously. I will of course pass on your excellent snippet.

thanks
Dafydd
BarryTheCrab
[Post New]
I think we are beating a dead horse. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
jerrys
Senior Contributor Location: New Britain, CT, USA (between New York and Boston) Joined: Feb 10, 2010 21:36 Messages: 1038 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I think we are beating a dead horse.

Nay. Jerry Schwartz
Bubba in TX
Senior Contributor Location: Central Texas Joined: Dec 12, 2009 21:32 Messages: 1332 Offline
[Post New]
Just another reason not to go 64 bit yet... I tried 64 bit with the first Win7 beta and decided it's a few years yet till it is worth using.... __________________________________________
Windows 8 Pro 64 bit

CyberLink PowerDirector 10 Tutorials
PDtoots PowerDirector Tutorials

**NOTICE**
When you are asked to provide a DXDIAG you go the following link and do part "B". Your posted specs are NOT what we are looking for as they tell us nothing. The specs on the box of your computer mean nothing. The DXDIAG shows us how your computer is configured as it runs.

DXDIAG Link
BarryTheCrab
[Post New]
I been thru a desert on a Horse named DivX64... HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
avreader1 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I haven't used PowerDirector 9 for a while, but a few days ago when I did, I discovered there is a new update, 2930, for the program. After I've installed the update I was pleased to notice that the "Codec Settings" button for DivX is no longer grayed out, and now fully accessible. Consequently, we can use PowerDirector 9 32 bit to encode to avi container with divx video codec, including HD content up to 1080p. The DivX codec interface is very detailed allowing many tweaks, including frame size, pixel aspect ratio, display aspect ratio, etc...

It seems that Cyberlink do listen to what Dafydd is passing them from the discussions in the forums!!

If they remove the weird limitation of only 24 KHz for MP3 audio sample rate, we will be eventually able to create HD avi files with divx/mp3 video/audio directly in PD9 32, without an extra step of going to avidemux to re-encode the audio from PCM to MP3.