Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Quote:
Jaime-esque is incorrect. All commercial DVD movies are 1080I/24. Blue-ray movies are 1080P.

Wrong. Commercial DVDs are not 1080 at all. They are 480i (NTSC). 1080i and 1080p are both part of the Blu-Ray standard.

I have to side with Jaime-esque on this one.

This link from blu-ray.com backs up what he says. [Half-way down the column at "Video Resolution"]:
http://www.blu-ray.com/faq/#bluray_vs_dvd_comparison

Additionally, for what its worth, I have a clip that is 4 mins 18 secs with just pictures and 2 .m4a music files and it is just under 1 GB in AVCHD format. I am sure it would be over 1 GB in MPEG-2. To oversimplify the issue... x10 [to get to approx 40 minutes] and you have a 10 GB video.

As Jaime-esque also pointed out, MPEG-2 is one of the largest file sizes out there. I can burn 29 minutes of 1920x1080p AVCHD at 4350 MB or the same exact files as 1920x1080 MPEG-2 at 7289 MB. [Note: exact file sizes will depend on bit-rate and other factors.]

Not to muddy the issue, but another consideration--depending on your target audience--is to find out if the people who don't have blu-ray have a program that will play AVCHD. Examples include Cyberlink software, and even Win7 includes the codecs to play AVCHD. If you have a large target audience, then this scenario becomes less likely. This might give you another alternative for getting your product into its intended hands.

sb
Dafydd,

I followed your instructions in the link to make the 'burn to folder' option available and had success. I then proceeded to burn to a folder and the burning was successful. Not knowing enough about the interface between the various parts and the programs, I don't know what this tells us, but am curious about any explanations or insight you might be able to provide.

I am also hopeful that this will allow me to burn the folder to a Blu-Ray disc using third-party software. Is it as simple as burning those two folders that were created onto the Blu-Ray disc? Any recommendations on third-party software? From reading other threads, I know that Carl uses some; any recommendations? Additionally, now that I have the files in a folder, which one do I click on to run the video [so I can preview or check it out]? Or at least what kind of a file am I looking for? Sorry for all the questions on this, but I only ever played a Blu-Ray off the disc.

It's frustrating to not be able to use PD's integrated disc-burning UI, as it's simplicity and clarity are two of the features I really like about PD 9.

Thanks for the help. I really like PD 9 and hope that we'll either be able to fix the problem, or find a simple enough work-around that will allow me to continue enjoying the program.

sb
So the first burn went fine. Play-tested the disc and everything looks great. I went to check on the second disc I was burning and got the error message:

"Burning Unsuccessful."

Error Code: eEB191E82

eEB191E82

The disc halted at 99% and is unusable.

So I burned the same video to AVCHD on a DVD+RW and everything looked fine there [I had to burn one of these anyway.]

I shut down PD 9 and restarted it, and attempted another Blu-Ray burn. Same result. Burning unsuccessful and same Error Code. Again 99% and unusable.

So I didn't change ANYTHING between the very first and second Blu-Ray burns. What gives? Technically I didn't change anything between the second and third, but the first and second burns were under the exact same conditions.

Can anyone tell me how to uninstall an update? At least before I could burn a Blu-Ray. Now I can't even do that.

Thanks for the link Carl. I had tried to update the program, but apparently I was going about it the wrong way. I updated to 2504 and burned a Blu-Ray. The program did not crash when finished, and so I have proceeded to burn another one. I am thinking and hoping that the situation is fixed. Since the initial issue did not appear the first time on the older version, I will report back if ultimately it returns again.

Thanks for the help. Sorry for the long delay in posts. I went out-of-town for a couple of weeks a day after the initial post.

sb
Hello Everyone!

I have a strange recurrence when I burn a Blu-Ray disc. PD9 works fine for me, and I imported some .m2ts files from Adobe Premiere Elements 7 for a Blu-Ray disc I wanted to burn with some menus. The first time or two that I burned a Blu-Ray, everything was fine. But for the past 10 or so burns, PD9 crashes when the burn is complete. The discs are finished, and work fine in any Blu-Ray player, but it is a pain to have to reboot my computer everytime I burn a Blu-Ray.

To be a little more specific: When the disc is finished burning, a pop-up window tells me that the burning is complete. I click on OK and it goes away. I can then eject the disc; everything is still ok. Now I have the information window that tells me the progress of the burn. It accurately shows that the burn has reached 100% and gives the time of the burn. At the bottom of the window is the option to Cancel, which is the only option to eliminate the window. If I click on Cancel, the window visually shifts about 2 or 3 mm to the right, and the whole application hangs [complete with a "Leave-me-alone-I-am-thinking circle".] A second click brings up the "Program is unresponsive" pop-up from Windows. I can still operate my computer, but am even unable to shut down PD9 with Windows Task Manager. If I try to manually shut down my computer, it hangs attempting to shut down the un-responsive PD9. No matter what I try, I have to do a hard shut down.

Here are some computer specs:
I have an ATI Radeon 5800 Series graphics card with 1 GB dedicated mem
Over 600GB of free HDD space on a 1TB HDD
6GB of DDR3 RAM
2.8 GHz Core i7
EDIT: Windows7 Home Premium 64-bit

EDIT: Of course I would forget to include what version of PD I have: PowerDirector 9.0.0.2316 Ultra64

Here is some info on the project and burn settings:
10 HD videos with Menus
Files are .m2ts or .m2t
Burning direct to Blu-Ray
Video: MPEG-2 Quality: HD 1080 x 1920
Sound: Dolby Digital 5.1 Channels
File size approx: 7289 MB

In Preferences, I have unchecked both boxes under "Hardware Acceleration" and under "Produce" I have checked 'Reduce Blocky Artifacts' and 'Allow SVRT...'

The Discs look good. I guess I am glad it is happening post-production rather than before it completes, otherwise I would be extremely frustrated. The MPEG-2 gives me the least amount of blockiness during playback.

Oh yeah, one other thing. If I tell the program to shut down my computer after burning, it will shut down my computer, but then when I start-up, windows hangs on reboot. It still requires a Hard Shut-down. Strange.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I'm off to burn another disc, so I'll check back after reboot.

Thanks!
Kiaser, are you running Windows? You should have a folder on your computer that holds all your iTunes music [mine is in my My Music folder.] All I have needed to do was import the file from that location, and PD 9 Ultra 64 has read it fine. Maybe you're running a different OS?

I am running Windows7 64-bit.

EDIT: To be more clear, I am having no problems with importing .m4a files.

Maybe that's one of the differences between PD 9 Ultra and PD 9 deluxe?

Not sure about loading 'projects' onto the root menu. I have PowerDirector 9.0 and my root menu has the same three options you mentioned [although I haven't yet searched to find alternatives.] For my Menu, I don't have subtitles, so that eliminates one choice. So now my root menu has two choices. I titled one: PLAY VIDEO, which plays my 'main' video [the first one, anyway.] The second choice is: SELECT VIDEO which just pushes the viewer to the 'chapters' however, in my case every chapter is really a different video, so I am using the 'chapter selection' as a 'menu selection'. Basically, it leaves the viewer with one click to get to a menu of individual projects [might be two clicks with a DVD/BD remote.]

Maybe someone else has a better solution, though?
Go to: