Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
my original problem is that PowerDirector 9 won't install - it errors out

Error 2711 The specified feature name ("MAIN") not found in feature table.

Error -1603 Fatal error during installation consult windows installer (MSI.CHM) or MSDN for name information.

I did start a forum thread but it was suggested that I try contacting tech support.

I just need to know if this a fatal error or something that can be overcome?

I deleted all Cyberlink program and data files that partially installed, ran Norton registry cleaner, file cleaner,etc. Then tried a clean install - still the same error pops up. So is this a common pproblem and can it be fixed.

I really don't plan to wait 10 days - I'll probably just return the software and if tech support ever gets back to me, maybe I'll try again.
Three days ago I submitted a query to technical support regarding vista 64 installation issues. How long does technical support typically take to respond?
Thanks for the suggestion. I tried that last night and received a reply this morning that "a copy of my receipt" was needed before they could help me - it would have been helpful to know that last night. Anyway, I sent a copy and now I wait.
One more piece of information. It seems I tried a demo version of PowerDirector 6.5 a couple yeas ago (had forgotten about this). So I just uninstalled the 6.5 version and then tried to install PowerDirector 9 ultra. I got the same error codes as above.
I cleaned the registry and re-booted. Then tried to install again - same errors as noted above.
Thanks for the suggestion but when I searched for the Cleanup Utility, here is what I found (could not find the utility program itself for Vista - though CNET had it for 95/98).

"Microsoft’s Windows Installer CleanUp Utility, MSICUU2.exe, was a tool one used to remove failed installations and information for programs, that were installed using Windows Installer.

While the Windows Installer Cleanup utility was found to a be a very useful tool by many, as it resolved installation problems, it was also recently found to damage some other components of the Windows operating system, installed on the computer."

I do have a registry cleanup utility throught Norton 360 so I'll try that first.

I purchased the DVD version of PowerDirector 9 ultra 64. When I attempt to install it, I get the following errors:

Error 2711 The specified feature name ("MAIN") not found in feature table.

Error -1603 Fatal error during installation consult windows installer (MSI.CHM) or MSDN for name information.

The installation then terminates. I also tried downloading the trail version but experienced the same set of error codes.

Attached is a current directx system dxdiagnostic.

How can this be resolved?
Go to: