Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Installation Problems Vista 64 bit
jeffvista64 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 16, 2011 00:30 Messages: 7 Offline
[Post New]
I purchased the DVD version of PowerDirector 9 ultra 64. When I attempt to install it, I get the following errors:

Error 2711 The specified feature name ("MAIN") not found in feature table.

Error -1603 Fatal error during installation consult windows installer (MSI.CHM) or MSDN for name information.

The installation then terminates. I also tried downloading the trail version but experienced the same set of error codes.

Attached is a current directx system dxdiagnostic.

How can this be resolved?
 Filename
DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
39 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
312 time(s)
RobertJ/OZ [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Melbourne Australia Joined: Aug 14, 2006 02:26 Messages: 1209 Offline
[Post New]
Download, install and run, Microsoft Cleanup Utility, then clean your registry with CCleaner or other cleaner, reboot then try installing again.

Robert Intel i7 930, 16GB ram, Radeon HD 5770 1Gb,Ver. 14.12 Win7 64 bit
Intel i7 7700 HQ, 16 GB ram Nvidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB dual drives 1 TB SSD + 1 TB HDD Win 10

PDtoots
jeffvista64 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for the suggestion but when I searched for the Cleanup Utility, here is what I found (could not find the utility program itself for Vista - though CNET had it for 95/98).

"Microsoft’s Windows Installer CleanUp Utility, MSICUU2.exe, was a tool one used to remove failed installations and information for programs, that were installed using Windows Installer.

While the Windows Installer Cleanup utility was found to a be a very useful tool by many, as it resolved installation problems, it was also recently found to damage some other components of the Windows operating system, installed on the computer."

I do have a registry cleanup utility throught Norton 360 so I'll try that first.

jeffvista64 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I cleaned the registry and re-booted. Then tried to install again - same errors as noted above.
jeffvista64 [Avatar]
[Post New]
One more piece of information. It seems I tried a demo version of PowerDirector 6.5 a couple yeas ago (had forgotten about this). So I just uninstalled the 6.5 version and then tried to install PowerDirector 9 ultra. I got the same error codes as above.
Cap'n Kevin
Senior Contributor Location: Chebeague Island, Maine Joined: Dec 26, 2008 20:22 Messages: 2011 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Jeff,

I had some trouble reinstalling Media Espresso after a trial of the newer version... Cyberlink Technical support sent me a link to download a specific cleaning tool that did the job for me.

You might submit a support ticket asking for this cleaning tool to get rid of all the remnants of Power Director.

Good Luck

Kevin

Check out PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials and more! Over 5,000 Subscribers.
jeffvista64 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for the suggestion. I tried that last night and received a reply this morning that "a copy of my receipt" was needed before they could help me - it would have been helpful to know that last night. Anyway, I sent a copy and now I wait.
Cap'n Kevin
Senior Contributor Location: Chebeague Island, Maine Joined: Dec 26, 2008 20:22 Messages: 2011 Offline
[Post New]
sorrt I didn't know you needed a receipt.
Check out PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials and more! Over 5,000 Subscribers.
Craig12315
Newbie Joined: Sep 14, 2011 08:23 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Hello,

Unregistered Windows Installer, and then re register Windows Installer.
Method 1:
To do this, follow these steps:
On the "Start" menu, click "Run:.
In the "Open" box, type "msiexec /unreg", and then press ENTER.
On the "Start" menu, click "Run".
In the "Open" box, type "msiexec /regserver", and then press ENTER.

Method 2:
Use Windows Installer CleanUp Utility to uninstall the failed product.
Click here: http://www.windows-installer-cleanup-utility.com/
Read the article and download necessary tools.

Now Empty user and system "temp" folders. here are steps to do so:
Empty "%systemdrive% emp" folder.
Empty "%systemdrive%%windir% emp" folder.
Empty "%systemdrive%Documents and Settings%username%Local SettingsTemp".
Or use Windows Repair Utility Tool to do the job for you.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 14. 2011 10:15