Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
This is out of my experience realm. I suggest starting a new topic thread that explains your problem with PD10 and then the experts will chime in. I don't think they monitor the thread we're on anymore.
I don't think the files all need to be in the same location, but the drives all need to be connected and if your external drive was drive "e" when it was connected when you did the import, it will need to be that again. In fact, it would probably be smart just to keep the external drive connected throughout the process of import, editing and production. PD doesn't really "import" a file. It simply keeps a record of where that file can be found. That means if you move a file, PD won't be able to find it anymore. You won't be able to work with that file on the timeline or produce a video with that file in the timeline until you re-import that file.
Frustrating. Your laptop sounds up to the task. I don't have to guess at how frustrated you must be--I was at the same place nearly a year ago. If you find a new program that ends up working, please come back and post your result.
Just out of curiousity, what kind of computer are you using, what's the processor and how much memory do you have? Are you a professional videographer? It sounds like you were going to sell your video. If so, what video editing software have you used in the past? And did you use it on this machine?
My advice in trying something different would be to make sure you properly uninstall PD9, do a registry clean, and then install the new video editor.

From what I understand about video editor software, it's best to only have one installed on your machine and that your machine should be relatively clean of junk from uninstalled programs.
I guess this is a good time to chime back in. I've been using PD9 now for a year since my original problem and only one or two times have I had a similar issue. In both cases, PD9 would hang up while I was producing either a wmv or MP4, Oddly enough, I would be able to produce in the other format. In other words, if it hung up on producing a MP4, it would create a wmv, or if it hung up on producing a wmv it would create an MP4. These were usually longer videos (30 or more minutes) with media from a variety of cameras. Many other videos, probably at least 30, came out just fine and could be produced in either format with no issues.

Overall, I've ended up being happy with PD9, though the learning curve from PD8 to PD9 was painful because of the different way certain functions/features worked. I notice that PD10 is still out and after suffering that learning curve once, I'm not sure I want to make the leap and possibly have to relearn a bunch of things again. It will be interesting to see what people say about PD10 on this forum.

NigP, I'm sorry to hear of your problems. If you ever do get it resolved, it would be interesting to hear what exactly was the problem. Perhaps some of the experts here can provide better advice than tech support if you provide more information.
Kevin, thanks for the history. Unfortunately it gives me a lot less confidence in CyberLink. I really liked PD7 and PD8, and became very proficient in them. Many of the things you describe are the things that had me pulling out my hair and after just a day of working with PD9 wanting to race out to the store and buy PD8 again. Still might. The performance features they claim for PD9 matter much less than usability. That's paramount. And to make thousands of customers learn new ways of doing things for no reason other than change make no sense. So far, I haven't seen any advantages, just disadvantages to the changes in working in the timeline interface in PD9. You do learn it, but does it actually make you more productive? I'm still trying to figure out insert and why I sometimes have to click it and other times the program lets me insert a clip or music segment without using insert.
Good point. I've also noticed some other differences between PD8 and PD9, some I liked, others not so much. But like you said, it just requires figuring out how to work with the new version. In time, we'll all probably forget how we used to do it in PD8 and be completely proficient in PD9.

I agree. It's nice there's a workaround, but there shouldn't need to be a workaround.
I'm beginning to chalk this up as something, as you suggest, that is simply related to the media itself that I'm trying to process. The good thing is I did get what I needed--a video file I can play on my computer and project on a screen for an upcoming event, plus an image I can use to create DVDs to hand out. What I didn't get was the usuial WMV file I like to end up with. It's not worth taking this any further unless someone has a really good idea on what my system needs or what I need to do with the media to produce a WMV. As for continuing my evaluation of PD9, I'll be producing more videos over the next few months that have just content from my camera and will be able to see how that goes. I've always liked PD and have recommended it to many people. This has been the first serious hiccup I've ever run into. (I started with PD7 two years ago.)

Thanks to all those who chimed in with advice. I appreciate your time and effort.

Okay, this time I tried creating a wmv video file from just the two jpegs and the four waterfall videos that follow. I first tried with the music that currently runs during that section of the video. This crashed PD9 and brought up the message about windows looking for a solution (which of course it never finds). I tried that twice, with crashes both times.

Then I took out the two jpegs and put in two jpegs from my own camera. Again PD9 crashed.

Then I put in the original two jpegs back in and removed the music and put in a different MP3 that I've used successfully in another PD production. It worked. I was able to create an WMV file.

Now what's really weird about this is when I removed the suspected problem MP3 yesterday and tried a different MP3, it didn't help. So now I'm really scratching my head.
Jeff,

Tried removing the song and substituting a different one. Still hung up at the same spot. Today I also tried creating my first video entirely in PD9 from footage from my camera (the one I'm having trouble with I started in PD8 and has a mixture of content from various people's cameras). No issues, except one of the fade transitions didn't work--the screen goes black in the bottom half and shows the image at the top. Not sure what caused that--it doesn't happen in the preview, just the rendered video.
Jeff and HDedit,

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll try them both at the first chance I get and report back. I am thinking there's something funky in the jpeg, the avi, or, as Jeff suggests, maybe the MP3. I have tried pulling the jpeg out. That didn't work. And I tried turning the entire sequence of low-quality AVIs into a wmv file and then reinserting it. The interesting thing is I was able to create the wmv file of the AVIs, but when I reinserted them as a wmv and tried to render again, it hung up in the same spot. Maybe something is weird about the MP3 ...
Today, as one person suggested, I tried uninstalling PD9, running a disk cleaner utility, and reinstalling PD9. I still get the error. Tried to create a wmv file or mpeg-4 file and both stopped at the same place with the Media Source Error.
Fred,

Your solution is great. Thank you!

A new behavior I'm noticing between PD8 and PD9 is that when I save a video in PD9 where I have individually muted each clip, then reopen it, all the unmutes are now mutes. Your solution will solve this problem very easily and allow much to have some clips that aren't muted (retain the original sound.)

Much appreciated.
Gentlemen,

Again, I meant no offense. I was simply following the instructions to try FFDShow and upgrading my video driver first. I couldn't help but try some things myself and share my results with you.

Here's the info:
PowerDirect Ultra64 9.0.0.2330
SR No. VDE 101118-03

I'm running this on a pretty clean Dell 435T/9000 with an ATI Radeon HD 4870 card, 6 GB RAM, no other video editing software, no games, just your standard MS Office stuff and some photo editing applications (the one PD gives you and Adobe Photoshop Elements). Processor is an Intel Core i7 920.

Thanks again for you help.
Sorry, but I was trying first the fixes suggested by the Moderator--one of which was to install FFDShow. My comment regarding "not having heard from anyone" was specifically in reference to whether I needed to do more than install FFDShow. I was wondering if I needed to activate a setting or something.
I updated my graphics driver, but still could not produce a WMV file without running into the Media Source Error. I then started to try other output options. I tried AVI, MPEG-4. H.264, and MOV and all failed (though interestingly enough the MOV failed at a different spot--much later into the video).

Then I tried MPEG-2. Success.

I have a feeling it was just something with this particular video--I don't think it had anything to do with PD9. I was having issues producing this video with PD8 which is part of the reason I updated--to see if PD9 could help. But I'll have to see what happens when I produce a video entirely in PD9 to be sure.

Anyone have an idea why I'd be able to produce the video in MPEG-2 and not any of the other formats? I did update my codecs with FFDShow as suggested ... though no one answered me regarding whether I needed to do more than simply install FFShow. Maybe there's some setting I have to activate to get those codecs in use.
I'm still trying different things. I took out the clip where the rendering stalls and converted it from avi to wmv using PD9 and reinserted it. Still stalls at that spot. (The clip is of a friend running an 8-foot falls in a canoe--so even if it's low-res, it's pretty cool.)

Ive installed FFDShow. Is there anything I needed to do beyond install it? Any settings I need to do?

I also tried rendering without any hardware acceleration ... still stalled in the same spot.

I may try updating my graphics card (ATI Radeon HD 4870) today.
What's going on here? After I've carefully muted each clip I want muted, if I insert a new clip, all the individually muted clips un-mute and I have to go through the entire video again and mute each one.

Is there a way to mute the entire track and activate the sound on just a few clips?
Go to: