Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Media Source Error
OC1 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Portland, Oregon Joined: Dec 15, 2010 00:02 Messages: 26 Offline
[Post New]
I've just switched from PowerDirector 8 to 9 (ultra 64 9.0.0.2330) and now while trying to produce a video (create a wmv file), I get about 30% through rendering and get:

Media Source Error. A front-end graph streaming error occurred.

I took the advice to try again and the same thing happened.

I'm using a Dell computer with an Intel Core i7 processor, 6 GB RAM, Vista 64-bit, AMD Radeon 4800 series graphics card.

Any ideas what I can do to fix this so I can produce my video?
[Post New]
Please post your DXDIAG file here so we can look at it. Instructions are found at the following link (see PART B). then attach the saves file to you post reply...

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/7958.page

Also, please tell us about your camera (or the source of the video) and (if possible) post a 5-10 second (unedited) video that you are using AND attach a screenshot of the open PD including the entire screen....clips in the library....clips on the timeline...etc.

THANKS

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Dec 15. 2010 01:21

RobertJ/OZ [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Melbourne Australia Joined: Aug 14, 2006 02:26 Messages: 1209 Offline
[Post New]
Please also remove your other post, or it will be classified as spamming the forum, the moderators get a tad upset with anything regarded as spamming

Robert Intel i7 930, 16GB ram, Radeon HD 5770 1Gb,Ver. 14.12 Win7 64 bit
Intel i7 7700 HQ, 16 GB ram Nvidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB dual drives 1 TB SSD + 1 TB HDD Win 10

PDtoots
OC1 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Portland, Oregon Joined: Dec 15, 2010 00:02 Messages: 26 Offline
[Post New]
Sorry, but I don't see how to delete a message ...

[Post New]
OC1;
No worries that old one will slide down the list or the moderator will remove it..Can you collect those items so we can help?

Thanks

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 15. 2010 01:50

Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

Appears to be a standard codec issue.

Install FFDShow a free package. it will place additional codec's on your system.

Was it a suitable fix?

If not we'll need the three basics as shown below and details of the video source (camera make/model) and a 5 second sample file. 30% point = You have something in your timeline that isn't liked by PD9, a suitable screenshot will help us look at the full content.

Dafydd
Duplicate post has been removed.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 15. 2010 07:03

OC1 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I found and read another series of posts on this issue. I'm going to see if I can find out what it's hanging on at the 30% mark and start there. Then maybe install the suggested codecs. I'll let you know if that helps.
OC1 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I now know what it's hanging up on. It's an 320x240 avi shot by someone else's camera, I think an Olympus, but I'm not sure--the camera info wasn't in properties. My older version of PowerDirector handled this clip without a problem on another video I did.

Will downloading FFDShow help this? And where should I download FFDShow from and what exactly do I do with it when I have.

Sorry for my ignorance here. I've been happily using PowerDirector for several years without problems and without having to look under the hood, so I've got a learning curve here to go through.
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Have nothing in PD9 video tracks.
Drop the suspect avi into Track 1
Then select Produce
I'm not sure what you're aiming to do with the low res avi file. Select an mpeg format and output it (mpeg1 will do).

Google FFDshow and then install. Advertising links to other company's software products are not placed on the forum. Installing the free codec pack may help.

I notice you haven't given the additional information requested of you.

Dafydd

OC1 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Seems like a simple case of a single video file perhaps being the problem. Another clip from the same camera did fine. I might convert the one problem clip into something else. Anyway, I'm fooling with it. If the problem seems bigger than that, I'll get the other info you ask for.

I'm curious about some other things though.

1. Why in PD 9 can't I put a transition at the end of a show? The workaround I finally did was to add another clip to the end of the show, put in the fade transition between them and then remove the final clip (the one I used simply so I could have the fade out. PD 8 would let you put a transition at the end.

2. One thing I've never figured out is how to mute the entire audio track of the videos, but then activate the audio on just a few of the clips. What I end up having to do is individually mute each clip so that I can have a few with sound. Seems odd with all the music videos people do that there isn't a better, faster way to do this.
OC1 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I'm still trying different things. I took out the clip where the rendering stalls and converted it from avi to wmv using PD9 and reinserted it. Still stalls at that spot. (The clip is of a friend running an 8-foot falls in a canoe--so even if it's low-res, it's pretty cool.)

Ive installed FFDShow. Is there anything I needed to do beyond install it? Any settings I need to do?

I also tried rendering without any hardware acceleration ... still stalled in the same spot.

I may try updating my graphics card (ATI Radeon HD 4870) today.
OC1 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I updated my graphics driver, but still could not produce a WMV file without running into the Media Source Error. I then started to try other output options. I tried AVI, MPEG-4. H.264, and MOV and all failed (though interestingly enough the MOV failed at a different spot--much later into the video).

Then I tried MPEG-2. Success.

I have a feeling it was just something with this particular video--I don't think it had anything to do with PD9. I was having issues producing this video with PD8 which is part of the reason I updated--to see if PD9 could help. But I'll have to see what happens when I produce a video entirely in PD9 to be sure.

Anyone have an idea why I'd be able to produce the video in MPEG-2 and not any of the other formats? I did update my codecs with FFDShow as suggested ... though no one answered me regarding whether I needed to do more than simply install FFShow. Maybe there's some setting I have to activate to get those codecs in use.
babindia
Senior Contributor Location: India Joined: Aug 16, 2007 06:11 Messages: 884 Offline
[Post New]
Try this.
Uninstall PD9.
Go to PD 9 folder under windows\program file and delete the PD9 folder as well.
Reboot.
Run disk cleanup utility.
Re-install PD9 PC specs :
OS Windows 10.0 Pro
MB - AS rock Z77 extreme 11
Intel 3770K @ 4.0 Ghz OC
Gskill 32 GB RAM 1800 Mhz
6 TB HDD, SSD bootable
nVidia ASUS GTX 660 Ti
BenQ 22" LCD monitor 1920x1080

Robert2 S
Senior Contributor Location: Australia Joined: Apr 22, 2009 05:57 Messages: 1461 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: ... though no one answered me regarding whether I needed to do more than simply install FFShow.

You were asked to supply three basic bits of information by the moderator, we haven't seen the information yet, maybe that is why. My youtube channel====> http://www.youtube.com/user/relate2?feature=mhsn
OC1 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Sorry, but I was trying first the fixes suggested by the Moderator--one of which was to install FFDShow. My comment regarding "not having heard from anyone" was specifically in reference to whether I needed to do more than install FFDShow. I was wondering if I needed to activate a setting or something.
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote:
Quote: ... though no one answered me regarding whether I needed to do more than simply install FFShow.

You were asked to supply three basic bits of information by the moderator, we haven't seen the information yet, maybe that is why.

Quite correct Robert, that is exactly why members have not provided further input. We're now into page 2 of an expanding thread without getting any worthwhile data!

Dafydd

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 18. 2010 12:20

OC1 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Gentlemen,

Again, I meant no offense. I was simply following the instructions to try FFDShow and upgrading my video driver first. I couldn't help but try some things myself and share my results with you.

Here's the info:
PowerDirect Ultra64 9.0.0.2330
SR No. VDE 101118-03

I'm running this on a pretty clean Dell 435T/9000 with an ATI Radeon HD 4870 card, 6 GB RAM, no other video editing software, no games, just your standard MS Office stuff and some photo editing applications (the one PD gives you and Adobe Photoshop Elements). Processor is an Intel Core i7 920.

Thanks again for you help.
 Filename
MarkDxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
DxDiag info
 Filesize
33 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
341 time(s)
[Thumb - MarkProblemArea.JPG]
 Filename
MarkProblemArea.JPG
[Disk]
 Description
Screen grab showing problem area
 Filesize
381 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
180 time(s)
OC1 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Today, as one person suggested, I tried uninstalling PD9, running a disk cleaner utility, and reinstalling PD9. I still get the error. Tried to create a wmv file or mpeg-4 file and both stopped at the same place with the Media Source Error.
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Not a lot of data to help out on this one so I'm simply throwing a guess out there, try it if you want. If you are certain that the hang up is there, if it was me I'd delete your "When the ...." mp3 once and see if that gets you through this area. I've had a couple of bad mp3 before which had issues similar to what you are having. If it does work, then the workaround is easy.

Jeff
All vodi
Senior Contributor Location: Canada Joined: Aug 21, 2009 11:24 Messages: 1431 Offline
[Post New]
OC1,

Have you tried producing a very short video with just the single jpeg file and the avi file to see if your error still occurs ?

Another method is to first produce an mpeg or m2ts video file from the avi file and then trying it in the project to see how it behaves. sometimes some cameras do not generate a clean enough avi video. Win 10, i7