Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Clean the reg + files probably. Generally clean enough to allow an install. Instead of saying program exists (when it has been removed)
=============================================================================
Yes it may do that much but isn't really much help. It should remove all traces of the program in the registry, files, etc...
It didn't come even close to that.

I hate to break to Cyberlink but PowerDVD 14 most certainly did not uninstall PowerDVD 13. In fact, it left me a total mess. The item from add/remove programs was deleted but pretty much nothing else. CLcleaner for PowerDVD 13 was useless. I spent hours manually removing traces of PowerDVD 13 from my system. Can't Cyberlink do a better job with install/umninstall?

My environment is windows 8.1. I had powerdvd 13 installed and upgraded to powerdvd 14.

The honest answer to the question is that the installation process for powerdvd 14 leaves behind a mess. That is really bad with a product like powerdvd that has services that run in the background.

It's ugly cleaning it up. I won't even go into how I did it. Now that people's PC's were messed up how about supplying a functional CLcleaner for powerdvd 13?
By the way the cleaner for powerdvd 13 did next to nothing. What exactly is it suppose to do?
Mine crashed as soon as it starts scanning the media. It does play okay if I double a file for example.
In my case, I was upgrading from Powerdvd 13. What was odd that there seemed to be no clean way to deinstall powerdvd 13 after powerdvd 14 was installed. I ran the clcleaner thing for powerdvd 13. Maybe that did something bad to 14. By the way, from what I can the clcleaner did not do a good job. I had startup programs, services and all sorts of right click explorer context menu items "play with cyberlink 13" left around. I manually cleaned all that out.

I just did a uninstall / install of powerdvd ultra 14 again. Now at least it is actually reading all of the files in My Music, etc... Took a real time to build database as my ITunes collection is large. Ultimately, it works fine. Music plays okay, videos okay, Blu-Ray played okay. I have not tried to use DLNA. I probably won't bother as I have Media Center. I did have a crash when playing through Media Center plugin. I'll have to try that again but it's no big deal to me.

Seems to me that the upgrade process needs to be improved for upgrades. I really would like a way to cleanly remove the previous version. Also, I would love to know how to get rid of some remnants of powerdvd 12. I think that was pre-installed with a media suite 11.

Again, the upgrade process really is not simple. But hopefully it will run.
unfortunately no. i just dropped back and lost all interest in poerdirector updates and/ or upgrades for now. I think the message from the vendor is that my graphics card is too old. That is fine. I can not do anything about that right now.
Basically, I fell back to the previous patch level of PD11. It does work. I have yet to hear an explanation for why it broke other than broken video drivers. I can't do much about that because my video card is pretty much end of service life per the vendor. Newer video driver updates (there is only one level newer) don't work and create problems elsewhere. So, I don't see myself as being able to move forward with PD11 on the hardware platform I am running. Disappointing because performance wise it's fine for what I am doing with it.
Okay here's an update. Tried the latest patch with no success. I went back to the working verson of PD11.
No worries I meant
o worries RobAC. I wish I sometimes kept a log of everything I did. But, easy to say but hard to do.
Got PD11 working again. I been here before.

Deja Vu all over again.

This is caused by the catalyst SDK. I uninstalled that thing and PD11 works fine.

So back to square one with the patch that breaks PD11.
Oh great so now PD11 won't start at all. This is tragic ... LOL

Cyberlink, why is powerdirector so troublesome? The other products like powerdvd are way more stable.
Okay I am back. Here's what I recall about Catalyst:

12.6 was the last working full release
12.10 is a partial upgrade to 12.6 (but not a video driver change)

Then AMD decided to change it's model and no longer issues monthly updates for older models. They came out with 13.1 in January 2013. Many users (myself included) tried loading and installer does not work right. It makes a total mess of your system. You have manually clean it up.

I just did that and put 12.6 / 12.10 back.

Now mind you, I appreciate the comments and feedback from everyone on the forum. However, I am looking for official feedback from cyberlink.

What level of windows does cyberlink support?
What video cards does cyberlink syupport?
Is there a follow on patch?

I am okay with waiting for the next patch but I just want to be sure that cyberlink understands that some users are having trouble with this patch. The crashes so far have been in their code (not codec's, directx, video drivers, etc...). If I back the patch off powerdirector runs just fine.

What I am trying to do is very basic. Import a media file into a project and put it on time line. I think the first crash tells me that something blew up in shadow file creation. I don't understand the next one at all.

Is there a workaround? An option I can try turning on / off? I would much rather try that than continue to struggle getting catalyst 13.1 to work (unless someone can tell me for sure that there is a known bug with Catalyst levels that 13.1 fixes).

Thx
Great! Now my system is in flames trying to put back the old driver kits. No more video driver changes unless someone in Cyberlink can point me at the specific bug being fixed that is relevant to a problem in their software.
Now I remember this nightmare. The Catalyst garbage doesn't install. Once AMD made this driver "legacy" their install kit stopped working. That's why I never went to 13.1.

So now I have to put back the last install kit that worked.

I don't believe this has anything to do with video drivers. Does PD11 directly call a video driver? Not likely. More likely it is making DirectX calls. DirectX works fine on this PC as does PD11 prior to this patch.

Cyberlink, please look into your patch. It has major bugs. It may very work in newer environments but unless I hear that PD11 is no longer supported on Vista I see no reason to upgrade anything just because of a patch.
thx Rob. i'll take a look at the Catalyst update. at one point, amd was telling their users to expect no more radeon updates for the 4xxx cards so i stopped looking.

beyond this one program, there is not any other video problems. the platform is definitely capable of doing the sort of editing i typically do.
thank you for the responses. i understand about old equipment and the economics of buying new equipment. i understand about vista, etc... but that isn't why i posted this problem in the forum. is there another patch on the horizon that will fix this problem? is there any more data that is useful for actually debugging the problem? if so, i'll see if i can turn it up.

in the meantime, i uninstalled pd11 and reinstalled it without this patch. that works fine.
there are no more driver updates for this video card. why would a video cause pd11 to crash? the problem follows the patch not the video driver if you get what i mean.
Further note that after uninstalling PD11 and reinstalling without the patch, PD11 works fine.
I just installed the latest patch and it has crippled Powerdirector 11.

I can start the program.

But when I import a MP4 file I get error:

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: PDHanumanSvr.exe
Application Version: 3.0.0.5513
Application Timestamp: 4ffff7f8
Fault Module Name: StackHash_af17
Fault Module Version: 6.0.6002.18541
Fault Module Timestamp: 4ec3e855
Exception Code: c0000374
Exception Offset: 00000000000acb17
OS Version: 6.0.6002.2.2.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: af17
Additional Information 2: ad8bae8f362ffbfaf7df2b2095f228cb
Additional Information 3: 63a2
Additional Information 4: 9a44d57cb1b660e21a065dfec24b787d

Then when I try to put the MP4 file on my timeline I get:

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: PDR11.exe
Application Version: 11.0.0.2707
Application Timestamp: 5138074b
Fault Module Name: StackHash_ea92
Fault Module Version: 6.0.6002.18541
Fault Module Timestamp: 4ec3e855
Exception Code: c0000374
Exception Offset: 00000000000acb17
OS Version: 6.0.6002.2.2.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: ea92
Additional Information 2: 1751eb9c97b8c7d12d5f56b150266dfe
Additional Information 3: 4210
Additional Information 4: 78a610616e08584a65fe6093e0b8f940

What is going on?

This program was working fine before the patch.
Just as a note, I finally was able to get PD11 working with Catalyst 12.6. I did a custom install of Catalyst 12.6 and checked off the "AMD SPP SDK". Worked just great after installing it that way.
Go to: