Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Novice unable to connect to youtube - have tried update - now what !
PETER [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 25, 2009 05:08 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Hi All

I have only recently bought the PD8 after a good trial (where this youtube upload worked perfect - strange that eh). Now when I try to use it as of yesterday it just keeps telling me to check the internet connection, which I know is fine.

I have raised a ticket (yesterday, how long do you take to respond) and have also checked and found the latest update completed the download for that resent the pc but its still no good

I have HD videos to upload and have no idea which format to save them in to upload them direct to youtube myself. I want the quality to stay as high as possible.

I am in the UK so we run with PAL, can anybody offer either a fix or a temp way to save the HD videos to upload myself.

I am running with Windows XP, Video taken with a Panasonic Lumix TZ-7

Thank you

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 25. 2009 09:09

Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
1. Check PD8's firewall settings.
2. Check the size limitation for your upload
3. What template file are you rendering to?
4. Walk us through your selection and give us the length of the project and file type you're editing. Basically you're doing something wrong and we are trying to see what.

Dafydd
[Moderator]
alan [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 16, 2009 13:36 Messages: 13 Offline
[Post New]
Peter .... don't worry your not doing anything wrong. I cannot connect to YouTube either. It was working OK about 3 days ago.

If the video length/size were too long then PowerDirector tells you this.

There is nothing wrong my Internet connection and as far as i am concerned it's a problem from Cyberlinks end and not ours.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 25. 2009 10:00

PETER [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 25, 2009 05:08 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Hi

Fisrt I dont think I am dong anything wrong. I am uploading the same size video I did yesterday (without any problems). I even tried uploading the same video and now im getting this fault.

Will walk through anyway though.

1) Video is only 7 mins long and is a AVCHD FILE
2) The upload limit is 2gb or 10 mins
3) I am rendering direct from the produce tab to the youtube link when I get the error message "cyberlink powerdirector could not connect to the youtube server. Check your internet connection then try again". My internet connect is 20Meg broadband working perfect.

I click on produce and there are several options to save via. As soon as I click on the youtube tab I get that error message. All my password details are pre-saved onto that tab. If I try the facebook one (which I assume requires the internet connection too) it will work.

I have contacted the makers and they tell me to do something with the windos system, along the lines of click start, run and change the selective start up. no idea what that is for but I did it nothing changed.

Is it worth un-installing the product and re-installing it

This is very frustrating considering I only bought it for this feature.
GEAtkins [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 15, 2009 15:38 Messages: 25 Offline
[Post New]
you're not doing anything wrong and it's not your system. it's a PD8 problem. since i saw these threads i tried to upload the same video to youtube that i successfully did a few days ago and now i get the cannot connect error.

obviously my internet connection works or i would not be able to post this message.

Glenn
[Thumb - 11-25-2009 9-21-37 AM.jpg]
 Filename
11-25-2009 9-21-37 AM.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
screen shot of error message
 Filesize
29 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
271 time(s)

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at Nov 25. 2009 10:22

Barry [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 25, 2009 11:34 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
The exact same thing has happened to me. I uploaded my first video successfully last week but now I get the same message as those above.

Can someone sort out an answer for this please?
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Guys -

You're right. I can confirm the same error message (though I can't confirm that it used to work because I've never used it). I imagine that means DirectorZone uploads are off the menu at the moment too.

The issue is clearly with the PD/YouTube interface, because there is no problem uploading directly to YouTube.

Sorry - no answer - just confirmation.

PETER - does this help at all with format? http://www.google.com/support/youtube/bin/answer.py?answer=132460&topic=16612&hl=en-GB

Cheers - Tony

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 25. 2009 12:20

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Kerbob [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 06, 2007 01:49 Messages: 29 Offline
[Post New]
Dang.. can someone tell me the exact settings the YouTube tab uses for producing videos? That previous page wasn't that helpful. Hope Cyberlink fixes this feature fast; I use it several times a week and was one of the main reasons I purchased.

You'd think that Cyberlink would go through each video site and determine the best possible video settings combination for upload (i.e. YouTube, Vimeo, FaceBook, etc)... then POST them somewhere instead of letting each customer to figure this out through guesswork. I had to do this for PD 6, then 7, and now 8 is like learning all over again because the same video settings I used in previous versions no longer exist in PD 8.
PDuser97031 [Avatar]
Member Joined: Aug 08, 2009 23:44 Messages: 91 Offline
[Post New]
YouTube settings determined by experimentation are in this posting:
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/8933.page

However I've since discovered that creating a WMV file using the stock setting of "Windows Media Video 9 DVD Quality (1600Kbps)" will result in an HQ video being created on YouTube. This is what I'm using as circumvention to the YouTube server connect problem until Cyberlink fixes direct YouTube uploading (create a standalone WMV file, then upload manually via YouTube/browser).
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
John -

You could do some searching yourself... not too hard

Here are some more unhelpful links you probably could have found yourself:

http://seemyworldonvideo.com/view/425/youtube-hd-tutorial/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5W-kStCfdgo

http://www.jakeludington.com/youtube/20080318_make_youtube_videos_look_better.html

http://www.funtechtalk.com/how-to-great-looking-youtube-videos-best-upload-settings/

http://www.squidoo.com/youtubehd

Cheers - Tony

PDuser97031 [Avatar]
Member Joined: Aug 08, 2009 23:44 Messages: 91 Offline
[Post New]
SEE...
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/0/8966.page#38348
Kerbob [Avatar]
[Post New]
Tony,
I didn't mean to sound ungrateful for your help before. I did search before and found similar results to what you posted. A separate software product to post process something that PowerDirector created is not what I want; its extra steps that I didn't have before. I still think CyberLink would do their fans a HUGE service by publishing what they believe are the optimal settings for upload to the various video sites.

Roy,
Absolutely agree with you that the WMV is the right format. My default for that format is different though; it's "Windows Media Video 8 for Color Pocket PCs (225k)".
The option "Windows Media Video 9 HD High Quality" will definitely give you fantastic results on YouTube, but it will also creae the largest file. A few minute clip will be several hundred MB's.

Through my own testing, I've found that the best option for YouTube is:
.WMV - "Windows Media Video 9 HD Standard Quality". It gives you the same great HD quality on YouTube (fantastic) but produces a much smaller file to upload.

The only problem with either of these options (both High and Standard) is that neither work for 4:3 aspect ratio. If you upload a 4:3 aspect ratio video to YouTube or Vimeo that has been produced with these settings; YouTube and Vimeo stretch the video horizontally which looks just plain nasty. This happens even if you force all video clips into 4:3 format. I think its because the properties of the format say its 1280x720 and you can't change that. So, I'm still stuck. Nothing satisfactory yet. I can't seem to find a way to convert 4:3 to 16:9. Lots of options to convert 16:9 to 4:3 though.

I like the PowerDirector interface more than any other video editor I've owned. But the Produce options are mostly garbage options I would never use. Like the rest of their interface, they should make this part simple for folks publishing to video sites. The YouTube tab was always able to produce my videos correctly. I wish I could find the combination that tab uses.
Cap'n Kevin
Senior Contributor Location: Chebeague Island, Maine Joined: Dec 26, 2008 20:22 Messages: 2011 Offline
[Post New]
I see much discussion about why CYBERLINK hasn't done this or anticipated that with YouTube profiles and quality issues that users seem to have. I read this and it was right to the point and just brimming with the ACTUAL TRUTH to the matter.

I don't think that CRANSTON will mind if I post a quote of his...

CRANSTON wrote:

Hi all,

For what it's worth, I found another discussion on Youtube HQ.
http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/youtube/thread?tid=6e69aec021099182&hl=en

I think the main reason that there are so many problems and confusion and frustration with formats/bitrates/resolutions in Youtube uploads, is that YT is constantly tweaking and changing their player.
Videos I had on there 4-6 months ago, which looked great in HQ, now look like crap, and don't even have the HQ option associated with them anymore, where once they did.
So I don't fault Cyberlink for not coming out with a new upgrade patch or something, every 2 months, to keep up with and compensate for YT's seemingly chronic need to constantly make changes to their player. Because 2 months later, YT will likely have changed something again.

Well said CRANSTON....and with that to all a good night!

Kevin

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 25. 2009 20:16

Check out PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials and more! Over 5,000 Subscribers.
Kerbob [Avatar]
[Post New]
Ok.. after much experimentation.. I've found that for 4:3 aspect ration videos, the best option in PowerDirector 8 is:

.WMV - Windows Media Video 9 for Zune High Quality.

No, its not as good as the YouTube tab (when it worked), but its pretty darn good as long as you don't go full screen.

PowerDirector 6 and 7 both have better producing options than 8. I wish 8 would allow you to create your own favorite production profiles and hide or delete the tons I will never use but have to surf through each time.

Fix that YouTube tab asap please!
Kerbob [Avatar]
[Post New]
Cap'n Kevin,
Thats good to know about YouTube; I didn't realize that. I've been certain all along that the YouTube tab not working is because YouTube has done something on their end. I don't really need a Tab that creates videos and automatically uploads them; its convenient, but unecessary. I just want to know what the optimal options are for uploading to the various sites.

My preferred video site is actually Vimeo. I use the YouTube tab to create the video and then I cancel the upload and upload the produced video file to Vimeo. So, in this case, Cyberlink's anticipating what the customer wanted went too far and actually causes extra steps for me.

With the video sites changing and the optimal settings changing, why not have this information posted right on the front of http://directorzone.cyberlink.com : "Today's optimal settings for uploading videos".

Previous versions allowed me to modify a Production Profile. This version lacks that capability.
Kerbob [Avatar]
[Post New]
I've created a trouble ticket with Cyberlink (CS000769585).

YouTube created the problem.. but Cyberlink now needs to respond to the change that YouTube made. Wonder if Cyberlink had advance notice of the change YouTube made.
Cap'n Kevin
Senior Contributor Location: Chebeague Island, Maine Joined: Dec 26, 2008 20:22 Messages: 2011 Offline
[Post New]
Cap'n Kevin,

There sure are lots of people terribly upset about not being able to upload to YouTube recently:

Cap'n Kevin stated,

It is my understanding from reading the various posts regarding this subject...that the issue is with the CYBERLINK server and it seems that they are now aware of it. So It would be my pressumption that it is going to be corrected.

Hopefully in time for me to submit my stunning entry into the CHALLENGE ME CONTEST!!

PRE EDIT: I think my answer to this post also deserves a ONE STAR RATING!!!

Kevin

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 25. 2009 21:16

ynotfish
[Post New]
1. Well said Kevin (and Cranston, indirectly)

2. You can create your own profiles for WMV.

3. When I did my searching before, I found EXACTLY THE SAME DISCUSSION happening in various other video editing forums... like that Premiere one... and that Vegas one... and the WMM one... gosh - they're all asking the same question. Fairly obviously, there's no definitive answer... if I ever find one I'll let you know. Some forum members were discussing it here http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/8933.page amongst other places.

4. Changing aspect ratio to or from 4:3 & 16:9 is almost the same process.
Cap'n Kevin
[Post New]
WOW TONY,

I am TOTALLY SURPRISED TO HEAR THAT!!!

Can't all those OTHER guys get it together!!! Well it's a good thing that they have there OWN FORUMS to spout off about themselves.....

JUST..... LIKE....... US!!!!!

Kevin

Robert123 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 27, 2009 17:56 Messages: 7 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: 1. Well said Kevin (and Cranston, indirectly)

2. You can create your own profiles for WMV.

3. When I did my searching before, I found EXACTLY THE SAME DISCUSSION happening in various other video editing forums... like that Premiere one... and that Vegas one... and the WMM one... gosh - they're all asking the same question. Fairly obviously, there's no definitive answer... if I ever find one I'll let you know. Some forum members were discussing it here http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/8933.page amongst other places.

4. Changing aspect ratio to or from 4:3 & 16:9 is almost the same process.

So you're saying users of other products e.i. Adobe, Magix, etc are having the same issues?

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at Nov 26. 2009 00:23