Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Directx 11 hardware acceleration
PDuser97031 [Avatar]
Member Joined: Aug 08, 2009 23:44 Messages: 91 Offline
[Post New]
Are there any plans to upgrade PD8 to exploit the hardware acceleration provided in Directx 11?

After hours and hours of testing trying to get a way to exploit PD8's CUDA support for HQ/HD YouTube videos considering:
+ Rendering speed
+ File size / upload time
+ Resultant YouTube quality (interlace rastoring, text quality, etc)
+ Reccognition by YouTube that it's HQ or HD

By using some combination of the following:
+ PD8
+ MediaShow Espresso
+ Badaboom
+ Wondershare converter
+ MediaCoder x64

With the very latest in video drivers, software updates, directx 11 on a GeForce GTX 250 and Intel dual cpu at 2.66 mhz and 4 gig ram and 64 bit Vista...

I've finally come full circle back to letting PD8 create an "YouTube" HD WMV file (1280x720) and uploading it directly as the best of all worlds.

Problem is, it takes PD8 FOREVER to render this file, as compared to rendering an M2TS/H.264 file (which has major interlace rastoring problems on something like a plaid shirt vs WMV which is "clean". Also the file size is unecessarily big when all I'm after is "HQ" on YouTube from a digital video camera that's around 800x500.

Sure would be great if Cyberlink would exploit Directx 11 for a boost in rendering performance.

BTW: PD8's YouTube "HQ" output (640x360) is not recognized by YouTube as an HQ worthy video.

I've tried all the mods to WMV profiles using Windows Media Profile Editor suggest within this forum, but they don't "take". I see the new and improved profiles in all software EXCEPT PD8, which still has the usual.
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Roy -

I'm not much of a "tuber" but I know quite a few forum members have commented on this at different times...

If you use the Search button you'll find other users' thoughts about the best format & profile to use for YouTube... like this http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/8625.page

Also - if you join SMWOV & go to the Extras pages, you'll find ready-made templates (from Dafydd) for PD8/YouTube.

Cheers - Tony

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 23. 2009 15:29

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
PDuser97031 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Tony,

Thanks for the suggestions. I joined SMWOV on a free trial, but it won't let me into the Extras pages. Apparently have to pay. But this is a circumvention anyway. What I would like is for Cyberlink to make PD8 work effectively out of the box, so that patching it and having to learn more than you ever wanted to know is not needed. An HQ choice under YouTube button that really makes an HQ video on YouTube, and does so exploiting hardware acceleration, would satisfy me.

Roy
Robert2 S
Senior Contributor Location: Australia Joined: Apr 22, 2009 05:57 Messages: 1461 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Roy,

"I've finally come full circle back to letting PD8 create an "YouTube" HD WMV file (1280x720) and uploading it directly as the best of all worlds. "

I see you have come to the same conclusion as me. Unfortunately CUDA does not support .wmv format, which is a shame as the more I work in .wmv the more I like it.

I make videos for friends and I have come to the conclusion that it is easier to give it to them in .wmv to ensure that they can at least play it on their computer. It saves me trying to explain codecs etc or working out why their DVD player won't play my DVD disc.

Cheers

Robert My youtube channel====> http://www.youtube.com/user/relate2?feature=mhsn
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
I use Mpeg2 SD or AVC SD and my YT vids always wind up as HQ vids.
Some of my older vids have been upgraded also, so I think if you have at least 720x480 SD, you have a good chance of getting the HQ option. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
OnTheWeb1
Contributor Location: Michigan USA Joined: Jan 02, 2009 12:58 Messages: 511 Offline
[Post New]
You may want to examine the vReveal software if you have CUDA-based card. Its sort of like badaboom, but has very effective stabilization... one of the best. It won't accept HD source, but it will output to HD and youtube. Its not a mature product, but I view it as an extra utility that may be of some use to users. Check it out in your travels.

If you do choose to stay with WMV files, you should alter the stock PD8 Youtube profiles since the data rates are terribly low and the audio rates are insanely high. Instructions to do this are in the cyberlink tutorials out on their youtube channel.

I have had good luck with the AVCHD on youtube, and others have struggled. Even with low-res source that is upscaled. We were digging in the other night to find out what causes the differences, some output files showing up interlaced after being produced as progressive... we never did figure it out.

I pretty much create profiles that use about 5Mb for HD stuff and about 2.5Mb data rate for SD. Of course they keep getting blown away with each PowerDirector patch I install but I'm now very quick at replacing them

P.S. Ixnay on the DX11 stuff. there aren't hardly any DX11 games yet so, until that matures I doubt you'll see cyberlink get in the game.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 23. 2009 19:15

Win8 64-bit Pro Retail
Intel i7-4770
16GB DDR3 1600 8-8-8-24
MSI Z87-G45 Motherboard
ASUS GTX 660 Direct CU II OC 2GB GPU
1 TB RAID 1 (mirrored) Drive Array
Several scratch drives for video, TMP, pagefile.
Cranston
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Aug 17, 2007 02:26 Messages: 1667 Offline
[Post New]
Hi all,

For what it's worth, I found another discussion on Youtube HQ.
http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/youtube/thread?tid=6e69aec021099182&hl=en

I think the main reason that there are so many problems and confusion and frustration with formats/bitrates/resolutions in Youtube uploads, is that YT is constantly tweaking and changing their player.
Videos I had on there 4-6 months ago, which looked great in HQ, now look like crap, and don't even have the HQ option associated with them anymore, where once they did.
So I don't fault Cyberlink for not coming out with a new upgrade patch or something, every 2 months, to keep up with and compensate for YT's seemingly chronic need to constantly make changes to their player. Because 2 months later, YT will likely have changed something again.

But then again, what do I know? (Don't answer that Barry, I know your tempted, hahaha)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 23. 2009 20:51

Click here PDtoots for a collection of PowerDirector Tutorials and Tips
Cap'n Kevin
Senior Contributor Location: Chebeague Island, Maine Joined: Dec 26, 2008 20:22 Messages: 2011 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Roy,

I was reading this thread and this one phrase did stick out to me:

I've tried all the mods to WMV profiles using Windows Media Profile Editor suggest within this forum, but they don't "take". I see the new and improved profiles in all software EXCEPT PD8, which still has the usual.

It is really easy to create your own profiles and have them be located in the correct place and have them be available in PD8.

Read this link for information on creating WMV profiles. It has to be done correctly so that they appear in your DROP DOWN LIST when producing to YouTube Dafydd created a visual to assist:

I hope this helps and allows you more flexibility as YouTube changes..as Cranston pointed out.

Kevin

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/8258.page
Check out PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials and more! Over 5,000 Subscribers.
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
Mind your p's and q's, Cranks.
I'm not averse to smackin' children when they get uppity.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 23. 2009 20:16

HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
Cranston
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Aug 17, 2007 02:26 Messages: 1667 Offline
[Post New]
OK daddy. Click here PDtoots for a collection of PowerDirector Tutorials and Tips
PDuser97031 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks to everbody who responded to this. I still think the end user of a product should not have to "patch" it to get what they need. But after a lot of experimenting I ended up with a WMV profile for YouTube that consistently produces an HQ 16:9 video. I kept creeping up from this:
480x360 | 800 kbps | 30 fps | 96/44khz audio |
until an HQ video was produced by YouTube. This is what it took:
960x540 | 1200 kbps | 30 fps | 128/48khz audio |

File size / upload time is acceptable
Rendering time is acceptable, but would improve if Cyberlink implements Directx 11 rendering.

My Canon ZR930 camera produces 853x480, so the camera to YouTube video quality is a close fit.

-=Roy=-
waaamuseum.org
PDuser97031 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Here's a program that proves that CUDA technology CAN be used to create WMV files. When rendering WMV actually shows what percentage is being done by CPU and what by GPU. This is the best conversion program I've found. Been playing around with it all morning. Complete control over the process. Does a great job of removing M2TS interlace problems when set to remove interlace always on. Now why can't Cyberlink build this into their rendering process/screens.

http://tmpgenc.pegasys-inc.com/en/product/te4xp.html