Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Create Custom Profiles
detroit123 [Avatar]
Senior Member Joined: Dec 20, 2011 14:58 Messages: 194 Offline
[Post New]
I know in PowerDirector you can create the custom profiles for output which I already did in PD 18

can this be done in Color Director 7 ?
[Post New]
Hello detroit123,

In CDR7, production profiles can be customised in a similar way to PDR. Click on the + button to set up your profile.

A significant difference is that, in CDR, the custom profiles cannot be saved as in PDR.

PIX

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 27. 2021 13:47

PIX YouTube channel
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
That's helpful info, PIX.

I'll add that there is a config.ini file that has the CDR settings that can be saved. The default location is C:\Users\{user name}\AppData\Local\CyberLink\ColorDirector\7.0. The last folder will be "Live_x.x" for subscription versions.
detroit123 [Avatar]
[Post New]
What I meant to ask is can you save an output setting that is higher than 4K ?

In PD 18 you can for sure
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote What I meant to ask is can you save an output setting that is higher than 4K ?

In PD 18 you can for sure

The only way to do that is to go outside the app and manually create a profile that bypasses the hard limits built-in to PD. Without an external profile.ini file, you can't do that in CDR.

Maybe request that ability under File > Rate Us & Provide Suggestions.
[Post New]
Hello again detroit123 & optodata,

Please help me if my think & process is incorrect, because I'm a little flummoxed.

I was attempting to create some 6K & 8K profiles to investigate the possibilities in CDR, so I opened the Profile.ini at C:\Users\User Name\AppData\Local\CyberLink\ColorDirector\9.0. I don't think the CDR version makes a difference.

The profile.ini is attached and you can see the profiles I made.

My issue is that I have not been able to produce a 6K (5760 x 32400 or 8K (7680 x 4320) file in CDR. Everything comes out as UHD (3840 x 2160). I thought it would be a straightforward task undecided. Perhaps I'm missing something obvious.

Not only that, but I haven't been able to get my created profiles to "stick" (i.e. appear in the Production module under "Custom".

PIX
 Filename
profile.ini
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
796 bytes
 Downloaded:
332 time(s)
PIX YouTube channel
[Post New]
Of course, none of the above is really necessary if a CDR user also has PDR at their disposal. From CDR (including CDR7), the project can simply be exported to PDR for production.

... which overcomes CDR's limitation with saving custom profiles.

PIX PIX YouTube channel
detroit123 [Avatar]
[Post New]
not true since I already tried that with the 10 Bit HDR recording. Even if I correct it in CD or change anything, it still gets screwed up in PD18 if you try to export to PD

for other normal files the exporting works fine but for the HDR, PD will convert to 8 bit and then you have double tweaks applied and it looks horrible

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 30. 2021 18:14

optodata
[Post New]
Quote ...PD will convert to 8 bit and then you have double tweaks applied and it looks horrible

Could you share a sample 10-bit clip that shows the import problem into PD? That would allow other users to experiment and see if anything can be done.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 30. 2021 17:07

detroit123 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Here is a sample clip

https://1drv.ms/u/s!At-17QjZeTIugP9eI7s6B2jpNQswyg?e=6Ek4lX
[Post New]
In attempting to investigate the 10-bit HDR issue (which I had no idea was part of the question), I also downloaded some samples from here.

Investigation ongoing.

PIX PIX YouTube channel
optodata
[Post New]
Quote attempting to investigate the 10-bit HDR issue (which I had no idea was part of the question)

Yes, in OP's other discussion we determined there are issues with these specific 10-bit clips.
optodata
[Post New]
I'm wondering how much of this might be in how different apps display HDR content. With my monitor in standard mode, the sample clip has different shades of sky and snow color in every app:

If I switch the monitor to HDR, they still show the same differences to my eyes - so how much of this are you having to fight when importing the clips? What's your reference app?

EDIT: I just added the full size screen capture as an attachment
[Thumb - samples.png]
 Filename
samples.png
[Disk]
 Description
SDR monitor screenshot
 Filesize
10193 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
4 time(s)

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Jan 30. 2021 19:38

detroit123 [Avatar]
[Post New]
recorded using filmic pro. I probably should have recorded something indoor with color; you can see a night and day difference for the worse when inputting into PD 18

the clip I sent has a lot of white with the snow and not a lot of other colors

Moderator Edit: (partial content removed)
Please, format quotes correctly.
PIX

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at Jan 30. 2021 20:11

[Post New]
Gentlemen,

optodata: Thank you for pointing me to detroit123's other related thead concerning HDR clips in PDR18. That clarifies things for me.

detroit123: Jeff's point in the other thread that PDR is unable to export HDR10 videos would seem to indicate to me that the best thing to do is (a) convert with Handbrake prior to importing for editing (& live with the "downgrade") or (b) edit & render your HDR10 clips in a dedicated application.

I concur with optodata's observation about how detroit123's clip displays in various media players. I've also observed significant differences between different versions of PDR & CDR.

If you're interested, I've uploaded the original screenshots shown in the video here.

PIX

PIX YouTube channel
detroit123 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Gentlemen,

optodata: Thank you for pointing me to detroit123's other related thead concerning HDR clips in PDR18. That clarifies things for me.

detroit123: Jeff's point in the other thread that PDR is unable to export HDR10 videos would seem to indicate to me that the best thing to do is (a) convert with Handbrake prior to importing for editing (& live with the "downgrade") or (b) edit & render your HDR10 clips in a dedicated application.

I concur with optodata's observation about how detroit123's clip displays in various media players. I've also observed significant differences between different versions of PDR & CDR.

If you're interested, I've uploaded the original screenshots shown in the video here.

PIX

Here is a better 10 Bit HDR Dartboard file with some color

PD18 screws it up again

CD 7 can handle these and then you can grade in there and convert

https://1drv.ms/u/s!At-17QjZeTIugP9fFysjUVNYhMgQ9Q?e=u1McTG
optodata
[Post New]
Thanks for the new clip. It's much easier to get a sense for how the clip is displayed in different apps, and I have to say there is a very pronounced difference across them:

I don't have PD18, but PD19/365 gives the most realistic and saturated view to my eyes, followed closely by CD9 (I don't have CD7). VLC player is less saturated and Windows Media Player's view is darker and very drab. The Movies & TV app seems bright and overexposed, and I have absolutely no idea of which one is "correct."

Maybe a screenshot on your end of the same clip in PD18 and in CD7 (or whatever app you're using for a reference view) will help us see how badly PD18 is faring on your system.
[Thumb - multiview.png]
 Filename
multiview.png
[Disk]
 Description
SDR monitor screenshot
 Filesize
8347 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
5 time(s)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Feb 01. 2021 13:59

detroit123 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Thanks for the new clip. It's much easier to get a sense for how the clip is displayed in different apps, and I have to say there is a very pronounced difference across them:

I don't have PD18, but PD19/365 gives the most realistic and saturated view to my eyes, followed closely by CD9 (I don't have CD7). VLC player is less saturated and Windows Media Player's view is darker and very drab. The Movies & TV app seems bright and overexposed, and I have absolutely no idea of which one is "correct."

Maybe a screenshot on your end of the same clip in PD18 and in CD7 (or whatever app you're using for a reference view) will help us see how badly PD18 is faring on your system.

here is PD 18 snapshot . It is not good. CD 7 Does a nice job
this means Cyberlink needs to do something as well since CD 7,8,9 or PD 19,18,17 should not be showing the big differences
Whatever Filmic is doing to create the 10 Bit HDR is also strange but using CD7, it is fine
[Thumb - SnapShot.jpg]
 Filename
SnapShot.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
872 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
6 time(s)
optodata
[Post New]
That's pretty much what I see in CD9, and that's a shade less vibrant than what PD19 shows. None of it looks bad in any way to me. What does CD7 show?

Note you can click on the Reply to this topic link at the bottom of the page to avoid copying the previous post each time.
detroit123 [Avatar]
[Post New]
where is the snapshot option in CD 7 ?

I don't see it . in PD 18 you just right click and there is the option