Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
HDR 10 Bit video into PD 18
detroit123 [Avatar]
Senior Member Joined: Dec 20, 2011 14:58 Messages: 194 Offline
[Post New]
This is strange

When I input Samsung 4K HDR 10 Video into PD 18, Before I do any altering the program is automatically adding some type of processing so then when I add LUT , etc it looks horrible
I even put in the file and then converted it to another 4K file with no changes and the new file looked totally different than the original
This makes no sense
I also put in the same HDR file into CD 7 and then pressed export to PD 18 and again PD 18 added some processing to the file
Does anyone know why this would happen ?
There is no setting in PD 18 that causes any automatic processing
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
My understanding is that PD can import 10-bit clips but it has to convert them to 8-bit when producing. I haven't noticed any import processing issues when working with 10-bit clips submitted by forum users, so maybe there's an issue with your specific clips.

See if this clip shows the same issues.

If it works normally, upload a sample clip to OneDrive or Google Drive and paste a publicly shareable link to it here. See the Share a file publicly section in this Google FAQ or this OneDrive support page.

If the clip is smaller than 100MB you can try using the Attachments button below the forum's text box.
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote This is strange

When I input Samsung 4K HDR 10 Video into PD 18, Before I do any altering the program is automatically adding some type of processing so then when I add LUT , etc it looks horrible
I even put in the file and then converted it to another 4K file with no changes and the new file looked totally different than the original
This makes no sense
I also put in the same HDR file into CD 7 and then pressed export to PD 18 and again PD 18 added some processing to the file
Does anyone know why this would happen ?
There is no setting in PD 18 that causes any automatic processing

More than likely, just PD, no settings to control. They really don't support HDR 10 directly, HDR 10-bit BT.2020 is converted to SDR 8-bit BT.709 during import. Additionally, PD has no 10-bit output so taking advantage of it is difficult.

Might just as well convert prior to import for more positive editing experience.

Jeff
detroit123 [Avatar]
Senior Member Joined: Dec 20, 2011 14:58 Messages: 194 Offline
[Post New]
your file worked fine

when I inputted into PD 18 it looked the same and then I could add LUT to correct, etc

Somehow these Phone 10 Bit HDR files cause it to do an auto conversion like the other person wrote into an 8 Bit 709 file but event that file did not look as good as it should have
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
So the only way to fix this is to let CL know that there's an issue with those clips. If you want to share them here, other users can try them on their systems as well.

You can record in 8-bit or use a free app like Handbrake to see if you can get a more compatible format from your existing clips.