Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PowerDVD Ultra 8 (& 7) won't play the Star Wars blu-rays (UK)
hirni [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 19, 2009 12:03 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
BUMP

I only bought PowerDVD because of its ability of Blu-Ray playback. I consider such behavior as an insult to it's customers.
Absolutely unacceptable!

My next player software may very likely be a competitive product if this continues.
Arcsoft TotalMedia Theatre might be a powerful alternative.
nagpig12 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 14, 2008 22:04 Messages: 9 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

I have just raised a trading standards query at last. If you are in the UK, you can do it here: http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Diol1/DoItOnline/DG_195913 . Here is a copy of what I wrote, you are welcome to copy (PS, I used the European branch address in the Netherlands to ensure that they are thinking in terms of European law. I would be quite disappointed if I did not get a swift solution, or at least some clear information on what they are up to with the patch. Here is what I wrote if anyone wants to copy:

I purchased a Sony BDU-X10S Blu-Ray player computer drive on 20/03/2009. This was bundled with Cyberlink PowerDVD 7.3 software, which is required to play back blu-ray discs. The software features the Blu-Ray logo- like CD and DVD logoed products, I believe this indicates that at least basic functionality is garaunted for lifetime, as the logo is a standard.
Recently, I purchased a boxed set of Star Wars films on Blu-Ray. On inserting the discs, the software produces a message saying the disc cannot be played and an update is required. It notes a Cyberlink web address, where the update should be availalbe. On accessing the site, it informs me that my software is up to date. The result, I am not able to play this boxed set. Consequently, the software is not fit for purpose. I have contacted Cyberlink technical support, stating that their product was not fit for purpose and that I would like this remedied by return. This was in mid sept and ref CS001059153. I simply received a standard response requesting more information. I pointed out that I wanted a fix or solution at their expense by return, not to be dragged round the houses for a known issue. I have since not made satisfactory progress. Additionally, I have received copious e-mail offers from Cyberlink to upgrade (at my cost) to the latest version of their software since posting the support request. I am not amused!! I would like Cyberlink to ensure that their product is standards compliant and plays my legitimately purchased Blu Ray hardware correctly. If the software I have cannot be fixed, I would like them to put this right at their own expense and in a timely manner. Thanks in advance.
DomDomBear [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 13, 2011 16:46 Messages: 23 Offline
[Post New]
Please keep us updated with that!

Thanks
nagpig12 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Well, something has happened. I now get a message saying that a periodic update needs to take place.....I click yes, it says it has updated, but then it won't play any disc- the periodic update just loops.

So now it is completely broken, but at least they seem to be doing something.
nagpig12 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Well, whatever that update was has made Power DVD 7.3 BD refuse to play any BD- it just loops around constantly offering, installing, then reinstalling the update. Absolutely scandalously, the website that the Star Wars disc kicked me to now just offers me a half price update to v11.
I'll give trading standards another nudge- this is just plain illegal. I wonder how many people this is affecting? Are there enough US users to start a class action? In the UK, we are entitled to a product that is fit for purpose for up to 6 years. Any lawyers out there?

Rather than deal with Cyberlink support, I think I will get trading standards to sort a solution. This company simply does not value its customers and at some point will pay the long term price in terms of damage to reputation.
mejoolie75 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 28, 2011 06:36 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
so still no update what the hell cyberink 8 just give us an update so we can watch new blue-rays in 2012 what the hell cyberlink 8 give us an update that actually works so we can watch
movies in 2012
mejoolie75 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 28, 2011 06:36 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
there is to be no more updates for cyberlink 8, any bluerays brought after 2010 may not work and you have to buy there new updated product cyberlink 11. so in other words all who brought this product in good faith you are being ripped off.
cyberlink have literally given us the finger. hope someone else has better luck getting them to update then i had. what the hell cyberlink 8 give us an update that actually works so we can watch
movies in 2012
español [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 23, 2011 16:32 Messages: 12 Offline
[Post New]
It happened to me as well.

I installed the latest update of PDVD 8 and is now in an infinite loop every view I want to play a BD.,, I get a popup message that I need to update bla bla ... every time I try to play.
español [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 23, 2011 16:32 Messages: 12 Offline
[Post New]
This is not true.

All OEM versions must have the retail version updates but I am not.

An OEM version is accompanied by a hardw and, therefore, is like having a conventional player that obviously takes a soft embedded EEPROM (flash)
flogger123 [Avatar]
Member Joined: Jan 24, 2012 08:22 Messages: 63 Offline
[Post New]
I think OEM version has only trial version installed with no updates available. They are just install for promotional reasons. Just my opinion tho.
huang [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 26, 2012 14:44 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
I bought a samsung and it came with powerdvd 8. Been getting these problems as well.
and I am from the US
Jennifer [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 06, 2012 23:07 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
I had a System Crash, my 2 drives main and 3rd drives both failed and seized up and i lost all my programs and my cd pdvd 8 ultra keys other kyes for my software had to go to sites to get them and my Power DVD 8 Ultra Key was updated to 10 and now I can not update or even run any of my blue ray discs cause I have not been able to get my key
Ian [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 21, 2012 23:35 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
It would seem that there will be no more compatibility updates to enable users to play discs for PowerDVD 7,8 or 9.

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/19324.page

Frankly, we all would have been better to give it a miss and buy a standalone Bluray Player, because I doubt major hardware vendors would leave us all in the lurch the way Cyberlink have.

PowerDVD 9.0 Ultra tells me that an update is required to play the disc, and Cyberlink tell me that no upgrade is available but they have offered to let me upgrade my player (for a fee). Funnily enough, I wasn't aware that I was "renting" the softwares capacity to play Bluray discs when I purchased it.

** A note to anyone from Cyberlink who may read this **

The Bluray copy-protection standard was always going to require updates. If your product was going to have a finite usable life-span simply because you would shelve it, then this should have been made clear.

I did not buy your software, expecting it to be unusable after a couple of years. I am sure most of your customers feel the same way.

Prospective PowerDVD 12 customers should reasonably expect that their software will cease to be usable after 3 years, and they will be expected to fund an upgrade. Whether they wish to proceed along those lines, and indulge deliberate gouging is (obviously) up to them.

Shameful.

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at Jul 21. 2012 23:50

CyberLink-Michael [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Europe Joined: Apr 18, 2007 04:05 Messages: 7418 Offline
[Post New]
Dear Ian,
you need to contact Customer support Team if you encounter this issue. I' am sure they have a solution!

br
Michael Technical Support

Werde Facebook Fan