Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PowerDVD Ultra 8 (& 7) won't play the Star Wars blu-rays (UK)
Cekim1 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 11, 2011 04:11 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

I've checked that I have the latest versions installed for PowerDVD Ultra 8 and 7 and I have according to the update facility. I'm running on Windows 7 32-bit which is all up to date as well.

The Cyberlink Windows 7 compatibilty check says PowerDVD 8 is ok but 7 may not be (it say it requires an update with with an action of 'Coming soon').

I've attempted to play a couple of the discs (episode I and IV) but in both players the result is the same; I get the warning screen saying my blu-ray player requires an update and to vist their web site (http://cyberlink.com/bdupdate). Doing so just reports that it's up to date.

This is a major show stopper, what is the fix?

Thanks

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 11. 2011 04:31

millerz [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 11, 2011 05:07 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
I have exactly the same problem. Strangely the bonus contect discs work fine; only the discs with the features on them are apparently 'unsupported'.

Any feedback would be very much appreciated.
RockO2 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 21, 2010 07:44 Messages: 28 Offline
[Post New]
I have exactly the same problem with Power DvD 9. Had a word with the support team followed they information by the
letter, Did not work.

This is wanted they typed back later on

In regards to your concern, I suggest you to update the firmware of the Blu-Ray player and then try to play the discs.

So Wanted to do now ? If PowerDVD 11 dose not work. when we all have a good Blu-Ray player that works fine with the
other Films that we have.

millerz [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 11, 2011 05:07 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
I got exactly the same feedback telling me to update my drive's firmware.

Have done that and still no joy.
RockO2 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Soooooooo Please Fix this problem the BOX SET costed £70.. And we payed good money for the PowerDVD Blu-Ray player. this
is just stuiped!!
RockO2 [Avatar]
[Post New]
So i just Download the PowerDVD 11 Blu-Ray Trail to see if it runs the Star Wars Box set and it works fine.
Look like i will have to pay some more money to get PowerDVD 11 NOT HAPPY
DomDomBear [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 13, 2011 16:46 Messages: 23 Offline
[Post New]
I am also having the same problems, I have E-mailed the support people but have had no reply as of yet. I hope they achully give a solution rarther than just telling me update a load of crap that is already up to date.

I also hope they don't want me to buy an update or the newer version, becuase what is the point, I have brought a bluray player from them to play blu rays, not SOME blu rays.

I am very annoyed.

Has anyone had any sort of luck with thier star wars blu rays?

I'm using powerdvd 7 Ulta btw

RockO2 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Not as yet, Been watching them on a 30 day trail for powerDVD 11 But i dont see the point up date the PowerDVD9 when in it seft is a good player like 8,7 & 10... just hope they Patch it up. Soooner then later.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 13. 2011 23:59

DomDomBear [Avatar]
[Post New]
Yeah, it just seems stupid.

Here is a great player, oh but it won't play star wars........you'll have to buy a newer version of that.

It is like buying a bottle opener and it will only open non-alcoholic bottles, even though it should.........it just doesn't. Possibly a bad metaphore. But yeah, I don't see why I should pay over more money to play something that my current one should already do........as it is a blu ray player and a blu ray disc

Silly people, I really do hope they patch it soon. Though I might have to get the 30 day trail in the mean time.........grrrr
AndyS1980 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 25, 2009 15:56 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
Same,

PowerDVD 9 Ultra v9.0.4105.51, Windows 7.

Any word from Cyberlink on this?
RockO2 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Not as yet
DomDomBear [Avatar]
[Post New]
I've just e-mailed them off a copy of the error message and told them I have updated all my frimware and drivers, so they don't spend an age telling me to update everything.

Still waiting on a reply. I have downloaded the trail version of powerdvd 11, but I still can't get it to play, it says it loads if then goes to a black screen.

All I want to do is watch a blu ray on a blu ray player. is that too much to ask! lol
RockO2 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Did it frimware worked when u updated it ?
DomDomBear [Avatar]
[Post New]
I updated the frimware of my bluray drive, but it did nothing
RockO2 [Avatar]
[Post New]
So the support team are talking out of they assies and they is no were in hell am i paying for PowerDVD 11
DomDomBear [Avatar]
[Post New]
well, the thing is, We own a blu ray player, it doesn't play blurays, surely there is something under the trades descriptions act that would cover us......that is if you are from the UK haha
AndyS1980 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Guys,

Its a disc protection issue, I 'fixed' it by installing AnyDVD-HD. Let the software remove the AACS protection from the disc, works perfectly in PowerDVD9.

Cyberlink need to update their database of AACS keys it seems

Cheers

Andy S

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 14. 2011 14:40

DomDomBear [Avatar]
[Post New]
Is this Anydvd-hd free? or do I have to fork out more money for it?
AndyS1980 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Its free for 30 days, but at least it confirms the issue.
DomDomBear [Avatar]
[Post New]
I have installed the trail version, and it works to a point, I get the normal blackscreen with white writting giving me some warning, then a image of R2-D2 and then it says 'prohibited' in the top right corner

any ideas?