Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PowerDVD Ultra 8 (& 7) won't play the Star Wars blu-rays (UK)
RockO2 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 21, 2010 07:44 Messages: 28 Offline
[Post New]
So it been two weeks now from when the Star wars Box set came out and still no new information about
If they are going to do a patch up date or when they will release one to fix the problems. as me and so many other customers who use the Cyberlink progames are now thinking about moiveing on. By buying a Blu-Ray Player or a PS3.

Because I can understand why they would wanted to fix the 10 or 11 PowerDVD player, it uses the 3D technology. But there are still not many 3D films out there, apart from a few animated ones, plus you'll also need a 3D monitor, which means forking out another decent amount of cash, just because PowerDVD was unable to perform the task it commited itself to, playing blurays.

You should also fix versions 7, 8 and 9, so they can perform the service that we purchased when we paid for this software. Otherwise, what we have now, is a blueray player, that doesn't play bluerays, and therefore is deemed useless.
caseking123 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 16, 2011 23:30 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
BUMP
Cekim1 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 11, 2011 04:11 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
Well, I finally got a reply today having supplied all the information requested way back on 2011/09/13 and it sounds the same as other have heard and even though I did mention PowereDVD Ultra 7 it doesn't get mentioned at all:

Thank you for contacting CyberLink Technical Support.

I understand you concern related with PowerDVD 8 Ultra and that you are experiencing issues while playing Star Wars Saga Blu-ray.

I apologize for any inconvenience caused. I regards to your issue, I would like to inform you that we have escalated this issue to our Product and Development Team, they are currently investigating this. Please keep visit our website (Downloads-> Software Updates) for latest updates.

Please feel free to contact us back for any further clarification or for any assistance related to CyberLink Products. Use the below mentioned link to get back to us for your further queries:

https://membership.cyberlink.com/prog/support/cs/support-login.jsp

Thanks and Regards,

Chetan
CyberLink Technical Support.

Edit: I've also now sent a follow up question to them regarding PowereDVD Ultra 7.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Sep 29. 2011 13:19

DomDomBear [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 13, 2011 16:46 Messages: 23 Offline
[Post New]
What a load of crap.

'we know there is a problem..........HA HA' is basicly waht they are saying
RockO2 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Did you get somethink like this back looooool all most 3 weeks now they sent me this, and me Bet you
all got this back.

Thank you for contacting CyberLink Technical Support.

I understand your concern related with PowerDVD unable to play Star Wars Blu Ray.

Please note that we have escalated this issue to our Product and Development Team, they are currently investigating this. Please keep visit our website (Downloads-> Software Updates) for latest updates.

Please feel free to contact us back for any further clarification or for any assistance related to CyberLink Products. Use the below mentioned link to get back to us for your further queries:

https://membership.cyberlink.com/prog/support/cs/support-login.jsp

Thanks and Regards,

Tracy
CyberLink Technical Support

This is a Joke on CyberLink side.
DomDomBear [Avatar]
[Post New]
They are 'investigating' why don't they just fix it lol
RockO2 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Beacuse they are slow and wanted us to upgrade.. it all Money, Money If i had a little Money...
adamw264 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 17, 2011 15:03 Messages: 6 Offline
[Post New]
Upgrade to what? PDVD11? It has the same problem...
Baer11 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 05, 2011 08:46 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
From the official update page:
As the development phase of CyberLink PowerDVD [Insert version number from 7 to 9] Ultra retail version has now ended, there will be no further Blu-ray Disc compatibility updates for this version. Any Blu-ray Disc titles released after (depends on version, 2009 for 7, April 2010 for 8, and June 2011 for 9] may not be compatible with CyberLink PowerDVD [7,8,9] Ultra retail version.
This is absolute garbage, forget about me ever purchasing from Cyberlink again. If they're that lazy then I'll just use something else.
DomDomBear [Avatar]
[Post New]
That is just unbeliveable.

it is like an ipod saying it won't play any music from 2012 plus......I can't belive it.....they are being so selfish and lazy.

I'll be sure never to recommend anything by cyberlink to anyone
RockO2 [Avatar]
[Post New]
That is just unbeliveable.

it is like an ipod saying it won't play any music from 2012 plus......I can't belive it.....they are being so selfish and lazy.

I'll be sure never to recommend anything by cyberlink to anyone
Cekim1 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 11, 2011 04:11 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
I've had the same reply about it no longer being supported, it's wholly unacceptable.

I've sent a reply back and will see what happens. It certainly seems like grounds for contacting Trading Standards and also Watchdog here in the UK.

nagpig12 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 14, 2008 22:04 Messages: 9 Offline
[Post New]
UK trading standards for them next, then.

My thinking is that blu-ray is a standard, like CD. If software was sold with a blu-ray drive for the purpose of playing blu-ray discs does not play a blu-ray disc that conforms to the standard, then it is not fit for pupose.

I haven't actually progressed my ticket with them further. When the asked for additional details, I informed them that it was a known issue and that I needed THEM to do something, not have me running around.

I won't have time to lodge a complaint with trading standards until next week, but I will get back to you.

Daniel

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 23. 2011 20:41

Samko [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 27, 2011 11:52 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
I have the same problem after updating my drivers and powerdvd 8.

I'm really considering to contact a consumer's association if no solution is provided quickly.

And I don't consider buying a newer version of powerdvd as a valid solution, because nothing garantise me that in a few months there won't be another blue-ray with the same issue with that version.
I don't want to be forced to buy a new software each time I buy a blue-ray.
keith [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 30, 2011 16:43 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
when i purchased power dvd 8, i was conned in to buying the whole thing with the remote and all. when i purchased my sony viao laptop, the player wouldnt work with the new BD's so i contacted cyberlink, and they said that if i upgradedto power dvd 8 ultra that it would work, and i wouldnt have to pay for anymore updates and that i could watch all blurays from here on out.

now i cant watch my star wars BD's and i am pissed. they say that i will have to upgrade to ultra 11 for thattype of support.

i dont want the 3d version of the software. my laptop doesnt have 3d why do i want to pay for it.

i think theis is hiway robbery. i think there needs to be a leagal lawsuit filled against them to settle this issue. they lied they lied they lied.........
español [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 23, 2011 16:32 Messages: 12 Offline
[Post New]
Disculpen
español [Avatar]
[Post New]
Forgive for my Englishman, I am Spanish.

Here in Spain we have the same problem with pdvd8, I have written to them an e-mail and the same thing that to all the users.

Cyberlink has obligation to give support to the versions OEM since he is like a reader convecinal.

The problem rests on the certificates of authentication of the discs fox, these certificates are overlooked in the conventional players and many soft, because of it they do not have problems.

We must claim all in our offices of attention to the consumer of every country

Regards from Spain
Vedeneyev [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 02, 2011 08:06 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
I recently bought a new TV that came with new Star Wars (IV, V & VI) and Avatar Blu-Ray Discs. Both are Fox titles and both play just fine in my TV's Blu-Ray player and PS3. However, checking them out on my PC which has the OEM PowerDVD 8 that was bundled with my LG BluRay player, only the Avatar BD plays without any hiccups. The Star Wars BD tells me I need a software update which just isn't available.

Isn't it strange that a more recent title from the same distributor won't play? At the moment I don't believe the PowerDVD software is fit for purpose. I've raised it with Cyberlink Support with CS001074640.
Vedeneyev [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 02, 2011 08:06 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
So the reply I got was basically that PowerDVD8 won't play BluRays after April 2010 and I should buy PowerDVD11 to play recent titles. Pretty outrageous really. How do I know that as soon as I buy PowerDVD11 Cyberlink won't go and release PowerDVD12 with a bunch of added 'features' I don't need or want, condemning me to further obsolescence and squeezing another $100 from me (and looking at their version history it's pretty obvious they will).

So it seems they're simply profiteering from updated copy protection codes on the discs to get you to buy more software. Neither my PS3 nor my TV's BluRay player suddenly stop playing new BD's...

What a joke of a company - unless a representative would care to respond with some reason of course?
español [Avatar]
[Post New]
It is a shame, makes you want to download a pirate version.

In addition to that i would like to join a player as the pdvd11? I just want to view movies on BD with my screen 1920x1200 32 ".

And repeat: the OEM version is binding on the part of the developer of the software update, because hardware is already updated greetings.
hirni [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 19, 2009 12:03 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
BUMP

I only bought PowerDVD because of its ability of Blu-Ray playback. I consider such behavior as an insult to it's customers.
Absolutely unacceptable!

My next player software may very likely be a competitive product if this continues.
Arcsoft TotalMedia Theatre might be a powerful alternative.