Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Powerdirector 16 audio waaaay slow compared to video
Alliedsign [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 01, 2010 10:30 Messages: 9 Offline
[Post New]
I have a 35 minute video with the characteristics listed below.

avi, 7.12 G, 2015/04/17, DV-avi, duration 35:20:20, Res 720 x 480, Frame rate 29.97, aspect ratio 4:3, interlaced.
Audio: wav, sampling rate 32 khz, bitrate 1024, stereo

I want to open this file, edit it in Powerdirector 16, and put it on a thumb drive or dvd that I can send to my son for his birthday April 17.

When I open the file in PD16 in edit mode, and slide the video into the timeline, and hit play, either in clip or movie, the video plays fine, but the audio plays really slow. The voices are way low in octive and completely out of sync with the video. Both tracks end at the same time, by that I mean, the video and audio tracks, one above the other, end at the same point at the timeline.

Interestingly, when I open the same file using VLC, the video plays fine. Ditto the windows 10 video player. Ditto an old Cyberlink media player. That makes me think I have a setting wrong in PD16. On the other hand, all my other videos that I open in PD 16 play fine.

So then I thought, maybe I'll forgo the editing, and just transfer the file as is onto a large thumbdrive to send to him. Then I get an error message that "the file is too large for the destination file system". Tried saving it to a large hard drive..failed. Maybe that's a helpful clue for you?
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
The DV-AVI is a supported format for PD16 retail version. Please read this sticky and attach a DxDiag.txt of your pc: https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/50105.page#post_box_263486 . Click the word PowerDirector on the top right of the screen and let us know the exact version you have.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
tomasc also has the answer to the final part about why you can't transfer the existing clip to your thumbdrive in this thread.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
Alliedsign [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote The DV-AVI is a supported format for PD16 retail version. Please read this sticky and attach a DxDiag.txt of your pc: https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/50105.page#post_box_263486 . Click the word PowerDirector on the top right of the screen and let us know the exact version you have.

PD version 16.0.3424.0
Ultimate
SR Number VDE181119-02

DxDiag.txt attached

Thanks
 Filename
DxDiag PD16 help inquiry.txt
[Disk]
 Description
DxDiag
 Filesize
96 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
220 time(s)
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Your DxDiag results show that you're running some very old video drivers: Your Intel HD Graphics 520 driver is from 2016, and your nVidia GTX 960M driver is from 2017.

Needless to say, there have been many updates since then, and you can download and install the current Win10 drivers directly from Intel and nVidia (this version was released yesterday!).

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 12. 2019 12:36

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Alliedsign [Avatar]
[Post New]
tomasc and optodata, thank you both for your help. I went to the Intel and Nvidia sites and collected 3 updates at each. I also got some new thumbdrives and formatted them to NTIS, and voila! the unedited video in question transferred, no problem.

That's the good news. But unfortunatetly, in PD16 the unsync with the video is unchanged after the driver updates.

You know, I use Powerdirector infrequently. So when I am going to produce a video, I have to run thru a bunch of Youtube videos to refresh my memory of all the commands and where they are found. One youtube video was how to set settings and so I followed the guidelines and made several changes in the Settings dialag boxes. Now I don't remember what changes I made, and I'm wondering if a poor choice by me is the problem. Can you think of any settings or combination of settings that might be causing the problem I originally described up above?

Appreciate your help.
optodata
[Post New]
I'm glad you've got your thumb drive situation resolved and have updated your system. By the way, you can also reformat your old drives to use NTFS or exFat at any time, just be sure to save any existing content somewhere else first.

As for your problem DV-AVI, would you be able to upload that specific clip to OneDrive of Google Drive and post the link to it here? It seems like PD16 isn't decoding the audio stream properly and by sharing the clip, tomasc or I or other forum members can test it and see if we see similar problems.

If you aren't able to do that for any reason, you can try a free video converter app (many here like Handbrake) and see if PD "likes" the converted version better.

As for producing, generally PD's default settings work very well and you probably won't need to go out of your way to tweak things. However, burning to DVD or to BluRay or staying on your PC or going on YouTube might each benefit from a different format, and I'm sure we can give you some good choice(s) to use if you tell us what you're looking to do with your finished vid.

YouTube/optodata

Alliedsign [Avatar]
[Post New]
Wow, are you sure you want to offer help on that last paragraph of yours, optodata?
So, just tell me what devices and formats people will be using to watch videos 30 years from now, ok?
How's that for a ridiculous question? Imposssible to know at this time, right? And so I procrastinate.
Wife and I are 70, we had kids late in life, so our kids are in their early 30's. I have maybe 50 hours of great family video footage, unedited, going back to vhs camcorders and most all of the formats since. I've managed to get all of them onto hard drives...the newer ones through IEEE394 (firewire) and the early ones by sending them to a converter company which returned me cd's, which I then transferred to hard drive.
The kids are too busy to even sit down to watch these gems now, but someday I'm sure they will enjoy them. I have a lot of time on my hands to edit and produce them now, but I'm frozen by the fear of picking a format and media that will be obsolete by then.

So, In the absence of certainty, what kind of strategy might you pursue if you were in my situation?

As far as the original issue that started this thread, I just went ahead and mailed the unedited video to my son for his birthday, now that you showed me how to get it onto a thumb drive. Unedited quality is good enough. Since none of my other videos appear to be affected, why pursue further.

Thanks
optodata
[Post New]
Quote Wow, are you sure you want to offer help on that last paragraph of yours, optodata?
So, just tell me what devices and formats people will be using to watch videos 30 years from now, ok?
How's that for a ridiculous question? Imposssible to know at this time, right?
So, In the absence of certainty, what kind of strategy might you pursue if you were in my situation?

As far as the original issue that started this thread, I just went ahead and mailed the unedited video to my son for his birthday, now that you showed me how to get it onto a thumb drive. Unedited quality is good enough. Since none of my other videos appear to be affected, why pursue further.

Thanks

First, I'm glad that your main issue has been solved. I'm all for going with the quickest and simplest approach that gets something done, but you and I both know that life doesn't always give us easy choices

As for your technological paralysis, I actually can give you some sound advice: Make sure that everything you value that's on already obsolete media is transferred into a digital format ASAP. It sounds like you've already done that (or at least have digitized much of your content), and the next step is to put in online (in the cloud) so that whatever physical media it's on won't render it inaccessible in 30 years.

USB drives, Firewire and Thunderbolt port, optical media and hard disks can't be counted on to still be around when your grandkids want to show their kids about "the old days," but the stuff on the internet will likely get ported to successive generations of storage, access and more advanced levels of processing.

I'm not saying that that there's no risk of loss involved, like if a specific provider goes out of business, but I am saying that acting now to move everything (or at least a copy of everything) online is far more likely to result in your content being accessible to people in 30 years than if you simply kept all of your media and related technology in a box in your garage.

While I can't give you any absolute guarantees, I hope you'll take these steps to prepare these cherished memories for the long term - at least as best as our current tech will allow.

Like you, I've got 30+ years on my young adult kids, but they've grown up with video and social media everywhere and they just expect that they'll magically be able to find and download something whenever they need it again. I expect that's the kind of future that's up ahead: more storage, easier access, less work needed to find things. That's why I think the cloud is the best choice for the future

YouTube/optodata

Paul Medynski [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 24, 2015 10:10 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
I'm having the same problem with my DV-AVI files. I used a previous PowerDirector version to create some projects using DV-AVI (maybe PD14 - I forget), and they played back fine both while editing and after producing. When I open those same projects in PD16, the audio is about half-speed when playing from the timeline or produced, and both the audio and video are half-speed when previewing clips.

PowerDirector 16.0.3424.0
Version type: Ultimate
SR number: VDE181119-02

I've attached a DxDiag.txt report, the properties of one of the DV-AVI files in question, and a Windows Codec report.

Any thoughts?
-Paul
 Filename
DV-AVI-properties.txt
[Disk]
 Description
DV-AVI Properties
 Filesize
3 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
115 time(s)
 Filename