Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
POWER DIRECTOR 10 - What Would Make You Buy It?
Hugo Geyskens
Newbie Location: Antwerp, Belgium Joined: Aug 21, 2011 11:25 Messages: 29 Offline
[Post New]
Although the avatar of the Product Manager looks very like the truth...

No eyes to see...
No ears to hear...
No mouth to say...

:
All vodi
Senior Contributor Location: Canada Joined: Aug 21, 2009 11:24 Messages: 1431 Offline
[Post New]
Beware of anyone using a 50's term such as "comrades". Win 10, i7
[Post New]
Dear FredB: We hear you and thanks for the input. Since the release of v9 late last year, we have released 5 patches to fix some bugs; and we are planning to release one more patch soon. Although our engineers are busy developing v10, we still treat releasing patches of v9 as a high priority task. If there are critical bugs of v9 found even after the release of v10, we will still release the patch of v9 to fix them.

Dear Barry: You raised a good question. ProductManager is not a single person, this is a shared account for all product managers within CyberLink to use in communicating with our Forum members. To prove this account is legitimate? As you can see, every forum member has a status (such as you are a very highly regarded Senior Contributor) and Join-date an Message-count (these are mandatory status info for all members), only the Forum Administrator can create an account with a status as "Product Manager" and remove Join-date and Message-count since this is a shared account. I hope this information helps.
CubbyHouseFilms
Senior Contributor Location: Melbourne, Australia Joined: Jul 14, 2009 04:23 Messages: 2208 Offline
[Post New]
Hi ProductManager

When is the next PD9 patch?

Will your 'team' require beta testers for PD10?

Is your 'team' actively developing a PD10 product that will work properly - unlike PD9 but like PD8 almost does?

I look forward to your input - if you are 'real' and not some computer geek who has hacked into the CL system.

Oh and did I mention plug-ins yes plug-ins and a PD10 PRO yes a PROFESSIONAL version at a professional price

Happing editing

Best Regards

Neil
CubbyHouseFilms

My Youtube Channel
My Vimeo Channel
PD3.5, 5, 6 & 7. Computer: Dell Dimension 5150, Intel Pen. 2.80 GHz, 2GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8600GT 256MB, Windows XP Pro!!
PD8 Ultra v3022. Computer: Dell Studio 1747, Intel, i7 Q740 1.73 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 560v 1GB, Windows 7 Ult. 64
PD10 Ultra v2023. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD12 Ultra v2930. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD13 Ultim v3516. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD16 Live v2101 Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 16GB RAM, ATI Mob.Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
Director Suite 6: PowerDirector 16 Live, PhotoDirector 9, ColorDirector 6, AudioDirector 8

Cameras: Sony(s) HXR-NX5P, HXR-NX70P, NEX-VG10E, a6300 4k, HDR TG5E, GoPro 4 Black, Canon 6D DSLR

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
- PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!

[Post New]
CubbyHouseFilms;
Have you EVER known a software vendor to speculate on a release date of even a patch (beyond generalities)? Maybe CLPM is a computer geek (or team of geeks) that BELONG in the system. PM Dafydd for confirmation?

Did the US astronauts really land on the moon? Oh, wait...did I say that out loud??

Quote: already included in PowerDirector 10, such as (1) enabling 3rd party plug-ins AND ...Should we release a "Professional" version for professional users with a price tag above $500 remains a considerable option for future planning, but this will not happen in v10.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Sep 03. 2011 21:23

Cranston
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Aug 17, 2007 02:26 Messages: 1667 Offline
[Post New]
Fred,

I’m sure that most everyone here is joking around with the hacking, and this questioning of whether this Project Manger thing is for real. You know, like in humor.
But because of the fact that it’s never ever happen before, caution will surface.

One often uses terms like… “When pigs fly”, quite cavalierly.
But then when one actually, for the first time, sees a porcine pigeon riding on the winds above, it does give one pause. Or may lead to a few nervous giggles. Or as in my case, after 4+ years of visiting this forum daily, and never once having seen an official CL person post a single peep on the forum, it’s all a bit of a shock to the old ticker, that can have one reaching for the nitro pills, hahaha.

But one thing can not be disputed.
A little participation now and then, from actual Cyberlink staff, would be the most welcome development to ever occur in these forums.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Sep 04. 2011 07:13

Click here PDtoots for a collection of PowerDirector Tutorials and Tips
[Post New]
Cranston;
Humor I understand! It is quite a shock to me too, to see an actual Cyberlink presence.

I just thought if the President or Pope visited, we should spend time reminding them that they need to do a few more things right, rather than asking them for their ID! Just IMHO.

I for one don't care if they participate more, if I could just see a list of active bugs..I believe that list much more than anything they will say. Heck, the product manager may not even KNOW what the bug status is.

So if we are going to have fun asking them the same questions over and over....bug list...bug list ...bug list...

Sorry, didn't mean to sound short or contrary.

Cranston
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Aug 17, 2007 02:26 Messages: 1667 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: ...if I could just see a list of active bugs..I believe that list much more than anything they will say.

I understand Fred.
But Dafydd has the bugs list and item numbers too, right? So just as you said... PM him for confirmation.

And geez, I would hope that whom ever CL chooses to represent them as an offical voice in these forums (if that's what they intend to do), would be a voice we could trust to give out accurate information Fred.
If CL can't accomplish that, then one would have to wonder what other fummbling may also be happening back in the development lab, and thus also have to question the accuracy of these active bug lists you seek. Click here PDtoots for a collection of PowerDirector Tutorials and Tips
[Post New]
Man..you guys are tough!! I know Dafydd has a list..only he has a list!!
Other software developers have user groups that can view or submit bugs and see their current status. It doesn't even sound like Dafydd can view such a list, but it would help to support the problems if we knew what bugs had been reported or fixed or in-progress.

Really..what is the issue with my comment to Cubbyhouse?? Are you two related somehow. No matter. This has taken a decidedly negative turn..so I am clicking the "Stop watching" button.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 04. 2011 00:07

Cranston
[Post New]
Sorry Fred. I hadn't even considered that there was a issue with what you posted in reply to Cubbyhouse.
(I had to go back and read both of them again, and I don't see anything.)
I just shared my perspective that a lot of the questioning about our new member, was probably in jest. And replied that I hoped a CL staffer member would provide accurate info.
Don't know why you are turning that into something personally negative. Nor do I find your snide remarks of whether Cubb and I are related, to be at all necessary.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Sep 04. 2011 10:35

Click here PDtoots for a collection of PowerDirector Tutorials and Tips
1Nina
Senior Contributor Location: Norway, 50km southwest of Oslo Joined: Oct 08, 2008 04:12 Messages: 1070 Offline
[Post New]

Cranston:
But one thing can not be disputed.
A little participation now and then, from actual Cyberlink staff,
would be the most welcome development to ever occur in these forums.

And this is exactly what is needed, exactly what has been wished for- for a long time.
Just something.
https://www.petitpoisvideo.com
Hugo Geyskens
Newbie Location: Antwerp, Belgium Joined: Aug 21, 2011 11:25 Messages: 29 Offline
[Post New]
Hi all,

Pigs DO fly... : I can tell you now.

I (just a little Belgian video editing amateur) would NEVER EVER believed it when somebody would told me that one day I will be contacted by the marketing manager of a software development company far far away, to ask about how I feel about their product...

Well, after using PD for 6 weeks, I got a phone call from Louis Chen, Thailand. We had a chat for about 20-25 minutes about my switching from Premiere to PD, and other things that could be usefull to them.

Both in that call and in a closing email I referenced this user forum for more hints on what could be improved.

Louis confirmed that they do want to focus more on our (user) feedback and experience.

So maybe, just maybe, things are going to change for the better (well , this word I've choosen based on all the 'must-be-a-miracle' reactions on the PM contact.

Have a nice sunny Sunday !

Hugo
jmone
Senior Contributor Location: Australia Joined: Nov 26, 2010 00:05 Messages: 706 Offline
[Post New]
Proper support for editing and SVRT for compliant AVC 1080/50 or 60p output. PD 64 Bit-Win10 64 Bit-32GB RAM-80TB HDD
Sony FX6 - 500Mbps 4k/50p AVC-I HLG
Canon XF400 - 150Mbps 4k/50p AVC
GoPro Hero6 Black
Pana HS700-28Mbps 1080/50p AVC (High@L4.2)
Canon HV20-HDV 25Mbps 16:9 1440x1080/25p MPEG
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
I don't have a "bug list" nor do I know of one for the released version of PD9. [i]Added[i/]: My list does have some bugs in it but it also refers to editor problems with downloading and things like that. I do not have a list of bugs as I see it. I use it so I can find the forum post later etc. when I have more information.

I don't need to get in on this thread, the topic is PD10 and it's your input here that matters. The only action I have done for this thread is to ask CyberLink to look in.

Edited. added a little bit more.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Sep 04. 2011 10:09

bonagege [Avatar]
Senior Member Location: Italia, Lombardia GMT + 1 Joined: Jun 25, 2011 16:32 Messages: 187 Offline
[Post New]
I'm an Italian customer for 3 months, from Pinnacle.
I appreciated the assistance of collaborators in particular Dafydd Bevan, now Product Manager demonstrated the involvement of CL's attention to its customers. To provide a better service would be useful to an Italian forum.
I suggest for future versions:
A) To facilitate the inclusion of transitions
B) You can enter a default transition to the right of the cursor in timeline
C)In Pinnacle Studio buttons "A" and "S" cut and delete, respectively, on the right and left sides in the clip. It would be nice in PD.

Thanks for your attention and greetings. Eugenio W 10 64 , pc Dell XPS 8000 - core i7 2,8 GHz--ram 6 MB--GEFORCE GTX 1050TI 4GB - SSD 256 + 2x630--area Pal
Videocam: Panasonic SD 700 avchd
Pinnacle 14 - PD 9-13-17
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
I would like to confirm the status of the new member CyberLink Product Manager.

Please members, be considerate to the new member's (PowerDirector Product Manager and staff) participation on the forum. It is after-all what many of you have requested. CL-PM is an umbrella membership so all staff can participate here.

Editing content a little.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 04. 2011 13:45

Generaallucas
Newbie Location: Apeldoorn, Netherlands. Joined: Apr 24, 2011 14:28 Messages: 19 Offline
[Post New]
If i'm going to buy it, it's because....

-Effects like focus do not need a color anymore, but the ''erased'' parts on the screen are transparant.
-Attractors, Deflectors and Destroyers in particles.
-Prevent crashing during rendering
-Mask kan be partially transparent
-Effects like Blur can be set from a position in the screen. the ''heaviest'' blur origins there.
-Possibility to make more effect layers (I use dozens of small objects, so changing them all is more irritating than changing all of them at once)
-Better VOB support (VOB is... sometimes.... lazy.... it... annoys... mee........)
-Better MKV support (sometimes the audio is gone (?))
-Better OGG support....
-Effects can be applied to text and particles.
-Text: the possibility to use more colors than just 2.
-More types of lightning effects.
-Using Lightmaps in video's/images/the entire screen.

This are the things I want to see in PD10 XD

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at Sep 04. 2011 15:20

jerrys
Senior Contributor Location: New Britain, CT, USA (between New York and Boston) Joined: Feb 10, 2010 21:36 Messages: 1038 Offline
[Post New]
Here's another thing that would be nice: the ability to select everything from the current position to the end of the timeline. Jerry Schwartz
Patrick24 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 02, 2011 16:19 Messages: 27 Offline
[Post New]
Support for batch manual capture / auto capture for the Canon HV 40 HDV camera - these options still remain grayed out despite my high system specifications, etc. The software does recognize the camcorder.

Built-in keyboard shortcuts for splitting a clip, etc. similar to Final Cut Pro.

Ability to insert portion of clip into timeline rather than entire clip.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 04. 2011 15:19

jerrys
Senior Contributor Location: New Britain, CT, USA (between New York and Boston) Joined: Feb 10, 2010 21:36 Messages: 1038 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Should we release a "Professional" version for professional users with a price tag above $500 remains a considerable option for future planning, but this will not happen in v10. If there are clear indications that a Professional version will benefit most of our users then we may consider putting it in our future roadmap.

Before launching into this, let me tell you a bit about my background so that you know where I'm coming from.

For most of my adult life I worked for a major technology company. I won't say who it was, but I'll give you a clue: their name is mentioned many times in this forum. I had direct, personal access to every corporate executive from the CEO down. In particular, I worked directly with a lot of product development managers and lab managers. I was often a liason between them and our customers, not only for market research but for beta testing. (Coincidentally, I wrote some custom software for Avid.)

My ability to predict the future is not perfect (I thought the mouse was a passing fad); nonetheless, I have seen a lot of successes and failures from both the customer and the company side.

My opinion is that a "professional" version at that high a price would be a risky investment.

• Your support costs would go way up. Customer expectations would scale up with the product price, perhaps even faster, especially if you aim the product at people who depend on your software for their income. Trust me, you really don't want to hear from a customer about how many thousands of dollars your software cost them; and you certainly don't want to hear from their lawyer. You'd have to provide much higher levels of support, and charge a lot for them. If you sell a $1000 product and then have to charge $500/year for 24/7 support with a guarantee of 30 minute response time, that would add to the total cost of ownership of the product.
  • At the same time, you'd have a huge stake in supporting your "hobby" customers. It's not that you don't now; but if you have 10 "hobby" customers for every "professional" customer, the last thing you need is to have those "hobby" customers complaining all over the net about your service.
  • It might be hard to differentiate the two products clearly enough to justify a big difference in price.
  • On the other hand, you could decide that you want them to be two separate products. In that case, you'd lose the advantage of a (perceived as easy) upgrade path. Users of the "hobby" version might be less inclined to move up.
  • Customers who see the features of the "professional" version might go for the "hobby" version as a trial, and they might be disappointed.
  • The current PD9 is complex enough that it takes quite a while to explore. Even relatively experienced users sometimes get into trouble because they used the wrong tool, or some feature that they hadn't explored before. How long a trial period would be required for an even more complex product that is new to the market?
  • Suppose Tata Motors came out with a car that competed directly with Rolls Royce. I've seen excellent new products fail because they tried to go head-to-head with the market leaders. I, myself, have always been drawn to products that were cheaper and better than the big players, and it's no picnic depending on a product that has 5% market share. Strangers laugh at you, your friends are embarrassed, and the product might disappear at a moment's notice. There's a strong fear factor there, especially at the "professional" level.
  • Since you aren't in a position to define an industry standard, the burden will be on you to change your format. Anyone who works at a commercial level wants to be able to share their work with collaborators in the industry. There's a reason why companies ship around .ZIP, PDF, and .DOC files instead of .RAR, .XPS, and .ODF files.
  • Along the same lines, you'd have to adapt your software in other ways. I've seen people asking for plugins. There is already a plugin market for Adobe Premiere Pro; are you going to be able to use their plugins, or are you going to have to pay plugin developers to build PowerDirector-specific versions?

• I think you should explore using the "plus pack" strategy. Define the functionality of the base product; then bundle up sets of enhancements that are related in some way and sell the bundles as add-ons to the base product. For example you might sell a "plugin adaptor kit" for Avid and Adobe Premiere Pro plugins; a "project importer/exporter" for compatibility with established competitors; an advanced menu design system; integration with 3rd-party photo editing software; an effects and transitions editor; and so forth, each as a separate add-on bundle at a moderate price. People could pick and choose what they needed, and you could price the bundles so that the whole kit would cost what a "professional" version would cost; but you might avoid some of the troubles I mentioned.

It's just a thought.

Then again, I worked for a company of which it was said "If they sold hamburgers, the top and bottom of the bun would be separate products and the sesame seeds would be an option to the lettuce."

Well, that's my cheerful little earful. Remember, if I had a really good track record I'd be rich -- and I'm not.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Sep 04. 2011 17:18

Jerry Schwartz
    vn800rider
    Senior Contributor Location: Darwen, UK Joined: May 15, 2008 04:32 Messages: 1949 Offline
    [Post New]
    I agree with the majority of jerrys proposition. There is however a BIG proviso (not confined to CL) - the issue that gets any consumer - pro or hobby - really, really p****d off is when the software is promoted, marketed and reviewed as A), B) or C) and it actually doesn't really work like that.

It is particularly irritating when "prosumers" are actively involved in, say beta testing, and it still takes nearly a whole development cycle to address simple and stupid issues. My particular bête noire example is the perspective scroll diagonal line, identified in beta testing but not fixed until the last (from memory) patch in PD8. In PD9, for me, it seems to be a real difficulty in relation to .mp4 production and any form of hardware acceleration - it just doesn't work. For others in may be SVRT or jerky motion paths.

I accept the speed of hardware development etc etc will make life challenging for CL, but I, along with many others, have submitted, often at the request of CL, raw video footage, complete or partial projects, screen captures, detailed and explicit examples etc etc etc and........................................................................................... yep, a blank space.

So, forgive me Product Manager (and team), but I'm a little wary of :-
    "Thank you very much for contributing your suggestions on this matter, we are closely watching all suggestions and log them into our database for considerations. " (in my day job as a management consultant I would consider that statement as virtually meaningless)
    or
    "We hear you and thanks for the input. " (ditto)

As a long term supporter (but not a blind follower) of CL, please, please just make the software work BEFORE it is released - OR - (heretical, I know) ignore the marketeers and release a product, not at a time, but when it really matches its PR (or, putting on my day job hat, alternatively - alter its PR).

Forlornly
    Adrian

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. (see below)
    Confucius
    AMD Phenom IIX6 1055T, win10, 5 internal drives, 7 usb drives, struggling power supply.