Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
POWER DIRECTOR 10 - What Would Make You Buy It?
AllenChicago [Avatar]
Senior Member Location: Chicago (USA) Joined: Jan 28, 2010 22:06 Messages: 151 Offline
[Post New]
Since Cyberlink seems to come out with a new version of Power Director near the end of each year, there is a good chance that we'll see "Power Director 10" in a few months?

If so, what new features, fixes, or interface enhancements would make you upgrade to PD10 immediately, or within a few months of its release? Maybe Cyberlink Power Director development team members visit this forum and would appreciate the input.

-Allen
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
Functional Smartsound.
Well-known plug-ins.
More comprehensive right-click menu.
Lock-unlock all tracks (except the one you click on). HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
Cranston
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Aug 17, 2007 02:26 Messages: 1667 Offline
[Post New]
- Full screen window display for… PIP Designer, Magic Motion, Video Crop, etc.
- Ability to save Custom Paths in Magic Motion and Video Crop
- Default start at media's full, or original size, when entering Magic Motion’s User Defined setting.
- Default start at media's full, or original size, when entering Video Crop setting.
- A smooth Magic Motion path that doesn’t jump, jerk and change resolutions at the single pixel level.
- And everything Barry suggested.

Click here PDtoots for a collection of PowerDirector Tutorials and Tips
CubbyHouseFilms
Senior Contributor Location: Melbourne, Australia Joined: Jul 14, 2009 04:23 Messages: 2208 Offline
[Post New]
Great topic Allen

Everything Barry and Carsten has said PLUS:

Of course still keep PD10 Deluxe and Ultra BUT make a PD10 PRO. That's right a PROFESSIONAL version with a premium price tag. And ensure it works PROPERLY. Something akin to FCP, S**y Pro or A*o*e maybe.

This PD10 PRO would have:

20 tracks MAX that can do anything

Better text and effects editor akin to FCP

Plug ins oh yes plug ins - professional ones, like; professional audio editor, professional text, sound effects, camera stock footage

Fully enhanced chroma key with manual 'draw' functions with movement control

And PLUG INs plug ins plug ins - that of course you have to pay for

Oh did I mention pl*g i*s?

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Aug 18. 2011 22:54

Happing editing

Best Regards

Neil
CubbyHouseFilms

My Youtube Channel
My Vimeo Channel
PD3.5, 5, 6 & 7. Computer: Dell Dimension 5150, Intel Pen. 2.80 GHz, 2GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8600GT 256MB, Windows XP Pro!!
PD8 Ultra v3022. Computer: Dell Studio 1747, Intel, i7 Q740 1.73 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 560v 1GB, Windows 7 Ult. 64
PD10 Ultra v2023. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD12 Ultra v2930. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD13 Ultim v3516. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD16 Live v2101 Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 16GB RAM, ATI Mob.Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
Director Suite 6: PowerDirector 16 Live, PhotoDirector 9, ColorDirector 6, AudioDirector 8

Cameras: Sony(s) HXR-NX5P, HXR-NX70P, NEX-VG10E, a6300 4k, HDR TG5E, GoPro 4 Black, Canon 6D DSLR

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
- PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!

James Dotson
Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
[Post New]
- Full screen window display for… PIP Designer

I'll definitely vote for that one, and I would like to see a time display in the PiP Designer. When adjusting fades, etc, I am just guessing at where they start and end in relation to the movie. __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM
[Post New]
We are looking for a robust application.
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
Should have mentioned a better photo editor with 2 levels of complexity, QUICK FIX (including STRAIGHTEN), and perhaps Photodirector FULL plugged in. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
1Nina
Senior Contributor Location: Norway, 50km southwest of Oslo Joined: Oct 08, 2008 04:12 Messages: 1070 Offline
[Post New]
Hi guys,

I read what you write, hearing you loud and clear.
Flash-backs to beta team discussions, PD9.
I've mentioned it before, but I do come back to thoughts around the "consumer" expression/label.
I would appreciate an explanation (from CL) what that label mean to them and what the expression is meant
to be a guidance to; ?
- a video editor anyone at any skill-level can produce splendid results by click-buttons?
- a video editor that will work adequate on today's avarage machines?
- a video editor in which you can download, free, stuff that others made- and thus sugarglaze your own product?
- a video editor that is not aimed/marketed for pro, semi-pro or serious editors?

The price of the software indicates that this is not a pro editor.
And actually, that would be OK, if only the program could be stable and work as supposed to on a number
of different machines and MB's.
I am not sure,- correction; I doubt- that CL is interested in making a pro version, at least not in a #10.
I somehow don't see that they recognize pro editors as their market.
Competing with today's pro NLE's is seen only at a distance ahead.
I dread the possibilities of CL just adding more (complicated) stuff, building on #9, and drag the
problems and unstabilities along with it.
Would cutting the tracks down to 20 make it more stable? Then do it.
Do we need options to save our own presets? Yes.
Do we need to get rid of the jerks and flicker? Yes.
Do we need to have full customization possibilities in produce? Yes.
Do we need adjustable UI? Yes.

Do I need 3D options for pip? Would be nice, but not if it only messes up or only partly works.
Do I need plug ins?
For me, it actually depends on program. Will it be reliable/stable enough to handle plug ins?

Just something.
https://www.petitpoisvideo.com
PatC [Avatar]
Senior Member Location: Suffolk UK Joined: Nov 17, 2009 14:00 Messages: 156 Offline
[Post New]

I would like:-

To have a version that does what it says on the box and in the adverts.

To be able to use my £300 ATI graphics card to help with rendering etc...
( I run with all GPU acceleration turned OFF at present. )

To be able to render camcorder 1080i video without interlace artifacts and stutters at transition points.

Less fancy effects and just a stable reliable editing and rendering package.

I also do NOT need 100 video tracks, my screen is not TALL enough....

Also to create SD DVDs that are not blurry.
( I know SD is only 720x576 but PD9 does a very poor job in this area. )

SVRT that actually works....

However having recently purchased S*** V**** M**** S***** Platinum 11,
I find that Power Director 9 is far more user friendly and even without acceleration
renders much faster. ( although it does push the CPU very hard. )

HOWEVER.....
If you get things just right PD9 WILL produce superb 1920x1080 AVCHD files.

Ah if only.........
James Dotson
Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
[Post New]
I also like Dafydd's idea of a basic and advanced interface. __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM
ClancM
Senior Member Location: New York Joined: May 26, 2011 22:19 Messages: 175 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I also like Dafydd's idea of a basic and advanced interface.

Genius!
I would like to see PLUG INS and Color correction CURVES

i also agree with the above mentioned items. It would be nice to see an in editor camera and the Z direction....

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 19. 2011 13:28

[Post New]
How about some additional effects, such as Motion Blur (not the same thing as delay) and improvements on the already existing effects, such as better realism with the fluidity dynamics of water flow related effects.

Also, the added ability to have more of the same effects simultaneously as opposed to the current limit of 2 (i.e. 3 panes of the same glass format effect layered).

Also the obvious stability improvements needed, especially with scene transitions as for me they often lag after going through production & placed on a public viewing site.
vn800rider
Senior Contributor Location: Darwen, UK Joined: May 15, 2008 04:32 Messages: 1949 Offline
[Post New]
Given normal development cycles, I strongly suspect that the main structure and functionality of PD10 was determined at least 6-12 months ago. I'm sure all comments and ideas are worthy of serious consideration but at this stage (I suspect) PD11 is starting out on the drawing board.

I'm sure PD10 alpha and beta testing will ensure editors make their comments/suggestions known - whether CL implements such input in time for full release seems to be questionable ( from past experience).

My own view is :-
Say what it does (no fudging), do what it says (no fudging) and prove it (no fudging).

Anything else leads to misunderstandings and dissatisfaction.

Cheers
Adrian Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. (see below)
Confucius
AMD Phenom IIX6 1055T, win10, 5 internal drives, 7 usb drives, struggling power supply.
Pax 123 [Avatar]
Senior Member Location: Miami, Florida Joined: Feb 25, 2010 06:35 Messages: 282 Offline
[Post New]
I honestly do not understand how it would be an improvement to reduce the number of available tracks. The default number is two. We can increase them to a maximum of 100, as needed. If not needed, we can simply leave them unactivated. It does not burden the computer to activate all 100. If my screen is filled with 20 tracks and I require seeing all active tracks at the same time. No one forces me to activate more.

I raise this query seriously, because it seems to me to be an advantage to have available more tracks than I will need, regardless what project I may begin in the future. If there is a legitimate reason for us to suggest that PD limit our current capabilities, I would certainly like to understand it.

If there is no legitimate reason, then, Adrian's sage observations notwithstanding, the request itself merely dilutes any serious thrust from the other requests. hmmmmmm.

Pax

Pax Laptop PC, ASUS
Core i7 Q 720
Win 7, 64-bit
RAM 8GB DDR2
Graphics, NVIDIA GeForce GTS 360M 1GB DDR5
jerrys
Senior Contributor Location: New Britain, CT, USA (between New York and Boston) Joined: Feb 10, 2010 21:36 Messages: 1038 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: - Full screen window display for… PIP Designer, Magic Motion, Video Crop, etc.

More to the point, I'd like to see all of those windows resizable. (That can be a PITA to program, by the way.) Jerry Schwartz
All vodi
Senior Contributor Location: Canada Joined: Aug 21, 2009 11:24 Messages: 1431 Offline
[Post New]
Judging from all the newbie posts the best improvement to PD would be much more application stability by offering application ADAPTABILITY to the PC that it's loaded on. The "bugs" in the software are frequently PC configuration specific. So if PD was smart enough in adapting itself to the PC at hand newbies would have less issues and Cyberlink could then offer an upgrade to that client when they improved their PC's capability. For example, hardware acceleration (HS) is a hit and miss depending on the type of graphics card and PC processor being used. Even on a high end PC, HS is frequently a nuisance by not offering better rendering quality, as promised. Win 10, i7
TvDirector [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 20, 2011 07:02 Messages: 7 Offline
[Post New]
I would by it if it would work after 30 days. Dispite the fact that I have send proof of purchase now 3 times, activated all sorts of formats a thousand times, I am now stuck with a paid program that only can import some formats and the others are exclude (no activation possible) and a service organisation that keeps on asking the same questions over and over (what is your proof of purchase, send it 3 times, what is your serial nr, send it 3 times, what is the message, send it 3 times etc.) AND NO SOLUTION IS GIVEN
All vodi
Senior Contributor Location: Canada Joined: Aug 21, 2009 11:24 Messages: 1431 Offline
[Post New]
TvDirector,

I suggest you send a private message to the moderator of this forum. He should be able to help you out.

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/user/profile/4556.page Win 10, i7
[Post New]
Two things would make me real happy

1- Plug-ins, plug-ins, plug-ins and more plug-ins.
2- A marker that can be inserted by tapping a key while listening to the music. That is, a marker to make synchronization of Music to Video/Images easy and accurate.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 20. 2011 09:59

Saludos

Computer: HPm3530
Processor: AMD Phenom 9550 Quad-core, 2.2GHz
Memory(RAM): 8 GB
System: 64-bit
Video: nVidia GeForce 9300 GE
ClancM
Senior Member Location: New York Joined: May 26, 2011 22:19 Messages: 175 Offline
[Post New]
I also think having animated mask paths and shapes would be vary helpfull and have alot of possibilities.