Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PD14 Alternative?
booger182 [Avatar]
Member Location: New Zealand Joined: Mar 02, 2012 19:13 Messages: 52 Offline
[Post New]
Any suggestions for a PD14 Alternative???

This Mainly stems from the frustrating fact that I cannot use my Nvidia GPU to work with PD14, or Vis-versa....

And upon a recent very simple edit I tried, just added to the frustration..

.All I wanted was to do a 15sec Instagram clip, of a helicopter flying over 50% at normal speed, going into 50% at slow-mo...

Boy, what a mission! It was a 50fps H.264 clip from a camcorder, added 10% video enhancement, and a portion I added a 'time-shift' at half-speed, and the preview was just shocking, couldnt even watch it back smoothly...

I have what you call a good 'gaming laptop' but it should be able to easily handle this simple editing! Shouldnt it????

With My spec computer, I really do not know if I should have the following on/off, to assist with the preview process:

• Shadow files on/off?Hardware acceleration

• Enable OpenCL technologyHardware acceleration

• Enable Hardware Decoding

• Again, to mention I cannot choose to use GTX960M for PD14 in the Nividia settings.

I can use Gopro Cineform with my GPU, and it works awesome, preview is great with speed up/slow down etc, but so limited features compared to PD14.

And I have learnt over the years how to use PD, and am really guttered if I have to resort to learning and using something else...[/list]

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at May 12. 2016 05:03

kmjk333 [Avatar]
    Member Joined: Feb 16, 2016 02:23 Messages: 93 Offline
    [Post New]
    "good 'gaming laptop"
    What is a good gaming laptop? Have any idea your full system specs?

"I cannot choose to use GTX960M for PD14 in the Nividia settings"

This is the third topic of not getting the video card to be enabled in Powerdirector 14 I have read recently. Read here:

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/48283.page

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 13. 2016 05:30

[Post New]
    Your problem is the laptop. You will find NO video editing software that will work with your laptop GPU.
    stevek
    Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
    [Post New]
    I'm not sure what a good gaming laptop is either. Run the Windows dxdiag.exe and post it as an attachment.
    Don't just give us the Make and Model because that is no specific enough.

In the past, the GPU on the CPU was not good enough to work with some Video Editing programs. This is no longer true. I have a Alienware laptop (great game playing laptop) and have no issues editing HD video. It had a separate video card that crapped out and the laptop never missed a beat.

Just make sure that your rendering is set to software and no hardware. It MAY be a little slower but it will result in a better video out file.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 13. 2016 13:13

BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
    Anything I post unless stated with a reference is my personal opinion.
    booger182 [Avatar]
    [Post New]
    Hi Team,

I think I have done the DXDiag correct...
    [Thumb - No Use GPU.PNG]
     Filename
    No Use GPU.PNG
    [Disk]
     Description
     Filesize
    30 Kbytes
     Downloaded:
    37 time(s)
    Carl312
    Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
    [Post New]
    Quote: Hi Team,

I think I have done the DXDiag correct...
    Not correct!

Correct method:

Part A (Powerdirector version information), Part B (Dxdiag.txt file)

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/45453.page

Please attach the Text version to the forum. Do not copy and paste pieces. Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

booger182 [Avatar]
    [Post New]
    Sorry, let me try that again...

Power Director Ultra - 14.0.2707.0

SR Number - VDE160307-04
     Filename
    TonyBoogerDxDiag.zip
    [Disk]
     Description
     Filesize
    16 Kbytes
     Downloaded:
    218 time(s)
     Filename
    TonyBoogerDxDiag.txt
    [Disk]
     Description
     Filesize
    86 Kbytes
     Downloaded:
    242 time(s)
    [Post New]
    http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/75/46836.page

Please read this and PM
    booger182 [Avatar]
    [Post New]
    Ok, I have tryed this again,

I have just tried, now PD14 will not open at all...

Becoming very frustrating, as I have to uninstall and reinstall everything over and over because of the changes I made.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 15. 2016 03:33

booger182 [Avatar]
    [Post New]
    When you say this

"1. Go to PowerDirector installation folder. Find the 2 files "PDR.exe" and "PDR.exe.manifest" and rename them to
    "PDR14.exe" and "PDR14.exe.manifest".

Are you meaning rename PDR.exe, as in the application???
    [Post New]
    No rename them as "PDR14.exe" and "PDR14.exe.manifest".

Your new shorcut to start the PD14 program should be PDR14.exe.
    booger182 [Avatar]
    [Post New]
    Thank you, I shall uninstall and try it all again.

I may have gone wrong somewhere.

I cannot actually find the file PDR.exe to rename...

I can only find 2x PDR, one which seems to be the 'application'. And the other the. 'Icon'.

It must be the application file right the I rename to PDR14.exe

Richmond Dan
    Senior Contributor Location: Richmond, VA Joined: Aug 07, 2014 17:17 Messages: 673 Offline
    [Post New]
    On my PC, Windows File Explorer shows:

C:\Program Files\Cyberlink\PowerDirector14\PDR.exe

That file is an application. Note that it is in the Program Files folder, NOT the Program Files (x86) folder.

PDR.exe.manifest is also in the same folder, but it is a MANIFEST file type, not an application.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 15. 2016 15:19

Regards,
    Dan
    Power Director 21-Ultimate
    v 21.0.3111.0
    XPS-8940, Win-10 64-bit,
    Intel Core i9-10900 processor
    (10 core, 20M Cache),
    32GB DDR4 RAM, 2TB M.2 PCIe NVME SSD, 2TB 7200 RPM SATA HDD,
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER 8GB GDDR6
    ynotfish
    Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
    [Post New]
    Hi booger182 -

It sounds like you have your file extensions hidden - or you'd be able to tell whether it was .exe, .ico or .exe.manifest

Here's how to show file extensions in Win10 - http://www.file-extensions.org/article/show-and-hide-file-extensions-in-windows-10

Cheers - Tony
    Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
    Full linked Tutorial Catalog
    PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
    booger182 [Avatar]
    [Post New]
    Quote: On my PC, Windows File Explorer shows:

C:\Program Files\Cyberlink\PowerDirector14\PDR.exe

That file is an application. Note that it is in the Program Files folder, NOT the Program Files (x86) folder.

PDR.exe.manifest is also in the same folder, but it is a MANIFEST file type, not an application.

Top Man, thanking you - Now let me try this yet again!
    booger182 [Avatar]
    [Post New]
    Quote: Hi booger182 -

It sounds like you have your file extensions hidden - or you'd be able to tell whether it was .exe, .ico or .exe.manifest

Here's how to show file extensions in Win10 - http://www.file-extensions.org/article/show-and-hide-file-extensions-in-windows-10

Cheers - Tony

Top Man, thanking you - Now let me try this yet again!

At least I can now see the extensions! thanks!
    booger182 [Avatar]
    [Post New]
    OK, I have finally got this working, thank you all!!!

Next step is wait until my next project and see if I have any crashes/Errors etc...