Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PD14 will only use integrated graphics, will not use nVidia GPU on my system
diego1 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 15, 2013 09:12 Messages: 10 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: it works perfectly on my laptop using 970 nvidia. I just follow the instructions from POWERDIRECTOR staff. It permits to select nvidia as gpu for PD14. I have no crash.

you will only get crash if you select INTEL fast rendering when you use the nvidia GPu.

I can told you that it is a complete different world now with fast rendering and 970gpu at 100% load. just check my other post.

I am using PowerDirector 13 and those instructions seem to be for PowerDirector 14
[Post New]
so far you are in PD14 forum section.

you may ask PD staff same procedure and equivalent files for PD13.
[Post New]

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 20. 2016 16:25

diego1 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 15, 2013 09:12 Messages: 10 Offline
[Post New]
Just tried out the Adobe software, and though I definately do not like the interface as much, it does handle 4k 100 bit flawlessly. The strange thing is that Adobe does not seem to utilize the dGPU either, but even so 4k video shows up on the timeline and edit smoothly. I dont care as much about rendering time as I do being able to edit 4k in a fluid enviornment. They have obviosuly been able to optimize the cpu and onboard intel graphics, so i hope the Powerdirector will eventually as well. Until then, PD has lost a customer, as I want a finished product that works and doesnt require file manipulation.
bbexperience [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 21, 2016 23:12 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
DocDaddy,

Any chance you've tried the newest Nvidia driver (361.91 released 2/15/16) to see if the issue is fixed? Might be worth a shot anyway.
DocDaddy [Avatar]
Member Joined: Jan 06, 2012 13:59 Messages: 58 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: DocDaddy,

Any chance you've tried the newest Nvidia driver (361.91 released 2/15/16) to see if the issue is fixed? Might be worth a shot anyway.

Yes, did that today - no difference.
bbexperience [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 21, 2016 23:12 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Bummer. I'm looking at a new laptop, which will of course be running Win 10. The version I have is PD10, so I was also going to upgrade that to 14. I won't bother if this issue persists though.
Roel1979 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 16, 2016 19:44 Messages: 9 Offline
[Post New]
Ater testing the trial version succesfully with the NVIDIA fix - I decided the get the full version.

After installing the full version and implementing the same fix - powerdirector itself works pretty well with an occasional crash (pretty rare).

Now wanted to use the standalone screencapture tool whihc has worked in the past on the same machine - but for some reason doesn t work anymore. My best guess is that the nvidia fix of chaning the files has caused this ?

Any tips on how to solve this ?

I read that the latest patch might have a fix but could not find it on the update pages anymore ?
Ondřej [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 02, 2016 14:34 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Hi all. Thankx for NVIDIA GPU tutorial, but right click on PDR14.exe and choose the option to run the software by NVIDIA GPU. I have no idea where I found the option? Thx for screen.

Ondra
Roel1979 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 16, 2016 19:44 Messages: 9 Offline
[Post New]
My bad ... My standard laptop build had Xsplit Gamecaster installed. After uninstalling that Cyberlink Screen capture started working again.

Ondrej, I have the Cyberlink Powerdirector icon on my desktop. If I right click that I get the option to launch with the NVIDIA card or select my Intel card.

Hope that helps

R
Viacheslav [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 14, 2012 00:32 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
I've changed Power Director profile to use my NVIDIA 960M using NVIDIA Inspector. But now PDR 14 crashes every time I want to do even small editing. It became completely unusable. So I rolled back to default settings.

It seems that is some kind of incompatibility of PDR 14 with new NVIDIA drivers so NVIDIA forces PDR 14 to work with integrated GPU, not NVIDIA.
[Post New]
No it works perfectly if you follow the instructions in the current post.

Do you remove Geforce experience ?
[Post New]
Quote: Hi all. Thankx for NVIDIA GPU tutorial, but right click on PDR14.exe and choose the option to run the software by NVIDIA GPU. I have no idea where I found the option? Thx for screen.

Ondra

Please follow first the instructions from Dafydd B at the second page of this post.
Viacheslav [Avatar]
[Post New]
Now I did. PDR doesn't crash, but I've noticed that the performance whith MP4 from my GoPro 2 is sluggish. AVCHD (m2ts) from my handycam works fine.
[Post New]
Could you please check this link and apply the solution provided for gopro

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/47808.page

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 19. 2016 18:27

Viacheslav [Avatar]
[Post New]
Theolilou, it's suggested to use gopro studio to convert to other format because H.264 requires lots of computer power. But the integrated Intel GPU handles it very well and the computer power is enough.
Freak00 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 15, 2016 23:43 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
I'm amazed this hasn't been resolved yet. I've looked over the revolving door of comments here, and even tried the fix, but can't find an option to "run with nvideo gpu" etc. I did all the things requested for the "hack" fix, but ya, nothing.
Jonathan [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 15, 2016 08:24 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
I've just asked for a refund because of this issue and I was having the same problem on Corel's products but finally found a solution that you may want to prove.

It's the hard link stuff, give it a try and good luck!:

http://forum.corel.com/EN/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=58169
Suxsem [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 04, 2016 21:38 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
I FINALLY SOLVED THE ISSUE!!!
I have signed up to this site only to share my solution :D

Advantages:
- works with all nvidia optimus cards (pre-kepler also)
- doesn't need any powerdirector patch (like the one proposed in page 2)
- works with latest nvidia drivers
- all works fine without crashes, preview works also

HOW TO:
1) (suggested) uninstall and reinstall powerdirector 14
2) (suggested) update your nvidia driver
3) Downlaod Nvidia Inspector (http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/nvidia-inspector-download.html)
4) Open nvidia inspector and click on the screwdriver icon near the "driver version" label
5) In the dropdown menu, choose "Cyberlink Power Director" (exactly)
6) Set this property:
Do not display this profile in the Control Panel = CPL_HIDDEN_PROFILE_DISABLED
Enable application for Optimus = SHIM_RENDERING_MODE_ENABLE
Optimus flags for enabled applications = SHIM_MCCOMPAT_OVERRIDE_BIT
Shim Rendering Mode Options per application for Optimus = SHIM_RENDERING_OPTIONS_DEFAULT_RENDERING_MODE
7) Click on Apply changes and close Nvidia Inspector
8) Open Powerdirector
9) Go to preferences and then hardware acceleration
10) Check "use opencl" and "use hardware decoding" (or something similar, i don't have english powerdirector; if you can't check those option then something went wrong with the previous steps)
11) restart Powerdirector

enjoy!!!

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jul 04. 2016 21:49

Darko [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 09, 2015 19:56 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Suxsem

I did it exactly as you wrote and it works.
Maybe you know what (how) to do for colordirector4.

thanks
AlS
Senior Member Location: South Africa Joined: Sep 23, 2014 18:07 Messages: 290 Offline
[Post New]
Dafydd,
Suxsem may have, at last, solved the nVidia GPU support problem with latest drivers.
Please investigate and if there is merit in this proposed solution, start a new thread asking other users to test it - and pass on to Cyber Support.
Thanks,
Al Power Director 13&14 Ultimate, Photo Director 6, Audio Dir, Pwr2Go 10
Win 10 64, Intel MB DH87MC, Intel i5-4670 CPU @ 3.40GHz, 16Gb DDR3 1600, 128Gb SSD, 2x1Tb WDBlue 7200rpmSATA6, Intel 4600 GPU, Gigabyte G1 GTX960 4GB, LG BluRay Writer