Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Editing preference: Should I chose to use my gforce NVidia card to edit?
angela123
Senior Member Location: new york Joined: Nov 24, 2015 21:53 Messages: 233 Offline
[Post New]
Recently I found a choice to use my card for video processing. However, I just reinstalled my PD 14 and I don't know where that choice is, and, more importantly, if I should choose it.

I have an HP Envy computer with good memory, but if it is better to always use the card, I would like to chose it. How and where though?

Thanks.
kmjk333 [Avatar]
Member Joined: Feb 16, 2016 02:23 Messages: 93 Offline
[Post New]
what is the model number of your video card?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 27. 2016 18:26

angela123
Senior Member Location: new york Joined: Nov 24, 2015 21:53 Messages: 233 Offline
[Post New]
My computer comes with intel R hd graphics 5500 and also a separate nvidia g force 940 m
angela123
[Post New]
A crash message states:
"media file in your library may not comply with file format standard on system. May lack required decoding components."
Error type: audio cut
kmjk333 [Avatar]
[Post New]
You should use your 940M

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/technology/cuda/supported-gpus

open PD14, select "set user preference" go to "hardware acceleration" check off the 2 options on the right. click ok.

When you "produce", on the tabs (only the tab you use for this project)...2D, 3D etc, check off at the bottom "hardware video encoder"

Now your crash message I am guessing since you didn't at the time know where to turn on your 940M that PD14 selected your integrated graphic with your CPU chip. So I think your error is directed to the hd5500.

See if the above works, if not, your conflict maybe the 2 sources of graphics (940M/5500). IF this is the case, you would need to disable your 5500 graphics and only use the 940M for everything.

OR, in the NVidia settings, enable 940M. But we can get to this discussion if all the above does not work

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Apr 29. 2016 16:19

angela123
[Post New]
Thanks muchly, I will try this.
angela123
[Post New]
KMJK333, I already checked off the hardware video encoder in preferences. So, do I still have to check it off when I produce? I don't see an option for this when I produce. Thanks.

When you "produce", on the tabs (only the tab you use for this project)...2D, 3D etc, check off at the bottom "hardware video encoder"
kmjk333 [Avatar]
[Post New]
what are the "produce" settings you selecting?

Not all of those tabs will show the "hardware" info to check
angela123
[Post New]
I usually produce 2d h264 or mpeg
kmjk333 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: KMJK333, I already checked off the hardware video encoder in preferences. So, do I still have to check it off when I produce? I don't see an option for this when I produce. Thanks.

what version of PD do you have? I checked, "hardware video encoder" is able to check off. If you have up to date PD14, then I think you have your integrated video taking over PD14. IF this is true, we could disable 5500 video in BIOS so that you only have your 940M running on your system. Maybe someone else reading this can tell me if I am off my rocker

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 30. 2016 16:33

angela123
[Post New]
KMJK, I need to know if you are off your rocker, because I will go off my rocker if I screw up my computer !!! )) lol!!
And, because I need to know how to set preferences to use the g card instead of the 5500. Is it in the bios? thanks. ))
kmjk333 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: KMJK, I need to know if you are off your rocker, because I will go off my rocker if I screw up my computer !!! )) lol!!
And, because I need to know how to set preferences to use the g card instead of the 5500. Is it in the bios? thanks. ))

I dont "think" I am off my rocker today

My problem is that this is a software forum, and changes to the BIOS you need to know what you are doing. IF I give you the directions, I would hate to have this back fire due to messing up your BIOS. Then your system is screwed and you and I dont want that.

Let me search the internet for these instructions for your specific laptop. If you laptop is in warranty, contack HP is option. Can you give me your laptop model number?
angela123
[Post New]
ENVY HP intel core i7 yes still in warranty. Is there a way to set the pd to automatically use the g card? Maybe it does already?
kmjk333 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: ENVY HP intel core i7 yes still in warranty. Is there a way to set the pd to automatically use the g card? Maybe it does already?

Yes, call HP and ask them:

"How do I disable my integrated video so I can use my Nvidia 940M for video editing"

@others, how are other laptop users enable their video card?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 30. 2016 19:27

angela123
[Post New]
OK, Will do. Thanks so much!
angela123
[Post New]
KMJK333 THANK YOU THANK YOU! I spoke to HP and they walked me through the easy step of changing my G card to
cause my computer to automatically use it!
kmjk333 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: KMJK333 THANK YOU THANK YOU! I spoke to HP and they walked me through the easy step of changing my G card to
cause my computer to automatically use it!

Good news, now the editing will be fun Let us know if all is well.

These options should now be available

"1-open PD14, select "set user preference" go to "hardware acceleration" check off the 2 options on the right. click ok.

2-When you "produce", on the tabs (only the tab you use for this project)...2D, 3D etc, check off at the bottom "hardware video encoder" "

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 01. 2016 06:07

AlS
Senior Member Location: South Africa Joined: Sep 23, 2014 18:07 Messages: 290 Offline
[Post New]
Angela
"A crash message states:
"media file in your library may not comply with file format standard on system. May lack required decoding components."
Error type: audio cut"

I'm confused. Your system should work fine with just the Intel HD Graphics. Mine works fine for HD and and other users edit 4k. Latest Intel HD Graphics has full 4k and H.265 support. So you shouldn't have a crash with the 5500 GPU.

Regarding the G-Force card I'm still not sure how much faster it may be or if you must choose one or the other. I seem to recall that if you edit with two screens, both GPUs can be active.

Professional NLE software like Edius claims a 500% improvement in render times since they added QuickSync support a year ago. QuickSync is part of Intel HD Graphics GPUs. PDR also has QuickSync support for render.

If you find an easy way to switch between the two cards it would be interesting if you could compare the two and share results with us.

In the meantime, I suggest you contact support and get it working with your Intel graphics first.

Al Power Director 13&14 Ultimate, Photo Director 6, Audio Dir, Pwr2Go 10
Win 10 64, Intel MB DH87MC, Intel i5-4670 CPU @ 3.40GHz, 16Gb DDR3 1600, 128Gb SSD, 2x1Tb WDBlue 7200rpmSATA6, Intel 4600 GPU, Gigabyte G1 GTX960 4GB, LG BluRay Writer