Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Hang during Produce and Create
Jeff [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 19, 2008 12:40 Messages: 9 Offline
[Post New]
I have spent many, many hours putting together a 39 minute production with video, motion stills and a soundtrack. Upon completion, I have tried numerous times unsuccessfully in producing and creating a disk. The program hangs at the same point each time. Using Produce it hangs at 28% (11:25:26 minutes into the process) and in Create it hangs at 39% (during Producing Titles).

I am using an HP desktop with Duo CPU 2.2 GHz, 2.2GHz with 2 GB of RAM and have Vista Home Premium as my operating system.

Any help would be appreciated.
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Jeff,

Please look up:

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/2405.page
Subject: PowerDirector - information we request and tasks to carry out.
PART A
PART H

PART D after you've updated.

You also need to ensure you have the latest build installed:
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/4395.page

A few things to do. Post when you've carried all of them out.

Dafydd

Jeff [Avatar]
[Post New]
HI Dafydd,

Thank you for helping me try to resolve my problem.

Results:

Part A:
PowerDirector Deluxe 7.00.2227c

Part H:
Test 1: Burning Successful
Test 2: Burning Successful

Part D:
Opened PD7 v.7.002227c (no other apps open)
Open file Africa 2008.pds
Select "no" on merge into current library
All media files load along with timeline of production
PD movie mode played everything in timeline
Go to Create Disk
Generated Chapters 100% completion
Select Burn - create a DVD folder
Required Space: 3273 MB; Space Available 275.4 GB
PD hangs while Producing Titles 39%, CPU pegged at 100%, no further progress for 2 hours, use Task Manager to End Task

Go to Create Disk
Generated Chapters 100% completion
Select Burn - Disk, 1 Copy
PD completed Motion Menu
PD hangs while Producing Titles 39%, CPU pegged at 100%, no further progress for 20 minutes, use Task Manager to End Task

Go to Produce
Create a File
Select .MPEG2
Profile Quality DVD SP, Next
Save to: C:\Users\Fetzer Family\Documents\Produce.mpg
Uncheck Enable Preview During Production
Select Start Rendering
Producing hangs at 28%, CPU pegged at 100%, no further progress for 30 minutes, use Task Manager to End Task.

Please let me know what you suggest next.

Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
OK, Excellent write up.

1. Make a number of copies (5) of your pds file please.
2. Retaining the original - untouched
3. open each of them in PD7 and remove the timeline contents so you have 5 different parts in 5 pds'

The aim is to reduce the size of the project into smaller ones and to test them out to see if you can produce 5x mpeg2 files and/or write each to a DVD folder. I want you to lookout for a corrupt media file - an audio or video file in your project.

You're aim is to localise the cause of the problem.

report back.

Dafydd
JeffK44 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 14, 2008 12:41 Messages: 11 Offline
[Post New]
Jeff,

This is a response I posted a while ago regarding a similar problem:

I am using PD 7(1915) and am having the same issue with burning DVDs or DVD folders. The program seems to stop processing at 21% complete while producing titles. After a long process of elimination I was able to isolate the problem to the Audio Disc Preferences. When I use “Dolby Digital 5.1” the program stops processing at 21%. When I use “Apply Cyberlink VirtualSpeaker to enhance background music” the program burns the dvd just fine.

I also noticed that when using the “Dolby Digital 5.1” and PD7 has stopped processing the only thing actually trying to process on my computer is the $sys$DRMServe.exe process which I understand is some Sony security software which is part of the digital rights management system on some of Sony CD’s. I have not done much testing to see if it only happens on mp3 files from Sony music or not but wanted to get this out as a possible fix for any one else having similar problem.

Good luck and let me know if you solve the problem!

Jeff K
Jeff [Avatar]
[Post New]
Well, the results were less than desirable. I broke the file into 4 parts. Part 1 contained the least amount of video and the burn to file was successful. Parts 2, 3 and 4 failed at 25%, 41% and 36% respectively during Create. I also tried to Produce in which each failed at 8%, 33% and 26% respectively. In Parts 2 and 4, the CPU was pegged at 100%, while Part 3 failed with ~50% CPU. I did as tech support suggested in cleaning off temp files, running in Select Startup to eliminate any other application interference, have no other burning software installed and uninstalled then reinstalled the software including the most recent patch.

All of the video that I including in the production was downloaded from my dvd camcorder and played fine in the movie preview. As I mentioned, I did use one video clip in the successfully burned Part 1.

I did try to apply VirtualSpeaker and took motion menu off but was still not successful.
Calvin46 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 02, 2008 22:54 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
I'm having much the same problem and have tried all the suggestions in this post plus a few more.
My setup almost identical to Jeff's both computer and video.
Any help appreciated.
Calvin
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi,

Sorry Jeff for not getting back to you sooner - lost your post.

Both: Please use the File >Export > Pack project materials and isolate your projects/content to one location within My Works. The aim is to ensure the ROUTE address is short and all contents are within one directory.

I still think you have a corrupt media file.

Please then carry out the same test again. I would recommend you look at all audio files and put them through an audio editor to recreate them to mp3's. I also recommend you just Produce one of your video files - nothing else and see the results - again looking for a corrupt video file.

If this persists then the Exported projects should be made available (I'll give you an FTP upload location) for testing by CyberLink.

Dafydd

Free audio editor available at SMWOV - membership is free

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 03. 2008 07:31

Jeff [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Dafydd,

Now that I have the project materials packed, is there any way for the project to recognize the new directory location or do I have to completely recreate the project using the new location?
Jeff [Avatar]
[Post New]
I have stripped off all of the added audio on a subset of the production and it still hangs. While it may be that the video component that I added throughout is corrupt, it is surprising that the software successfully detected scenes within and has played fine in movie preview.
Starchild [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 25, 2008 11:01 Messages: 7 Offline
[Post New]
I had all very similar symptoms. Vista, Core 2 duo 1.66ghz cpu, etc., etc.

While producing, my encoding would hang at 25%. While burning straight to disc it would hang at 39%. Customer Support gave me all the same tips (selective start up mode, delete unnecessary files, etc.) but still the same results.

My video was 50 minutes long and I was successful in breaking the project into three smaller projects. I noted where the original project hung (approx the 14th minute) during production then created a copy of the project that ended one minute before the hang point. (00:00:00 to 00:13:00)

After stripping out the first 13 minutes I attempted to produce the final 37 minutes. It hung at the 21st minute. So I created a second project that ended at the 20th minute (which would represent 00:13:00 to 00:33:00 of the original copy)

After stripping out the first 13 and then the other 20 minutes, I created a project with the remaining 17 minutes which sucessfully encoded to the end.

Therefore I had three projects and three .mpg files.
00:00:00 - 00:13:00 copy 1 of 3
00:13:00 - 00:33:00 copy 2 of 3
00:33:00 - 00:50:00 copy 3 of 3

I dropped all three mpg files into yet another project, created a menu and successfully burned to disc.

It's not perfect but I hope it helps. I know it can be very frustrating.
Jeff [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for the suggestion. I tried to break the file down and was frustrated by the fact that it threw all of the added audio out of alignment with the production, but realigned it the best that I could. I found the hang point and dialed that video component back, then it hung up sooner, so I dialed it back again and it hung up sooner still.

I don't understand that if this is a common problem that the software has not been fixed. My production is relatively straight forward - photos interspersed with video and audio added to complement the visual. I have not put a bunch of additional features and tricks in and I still can't get it to do these basics without failing. This doesn't even consider the too-numerous-to-count times that I have had to shut down the application because it hung during edit as I clicked between tasks.

Sorry that I am beyond frustrated at this point...
Calvin46 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 02, 2008 22:54 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
Somewhat different problem now but it follows on from previous. As none of the solutions proposed to stop burn freezing I have invested in a new computer.
32 bit Vista Home premium, AMD Quadcore with 4G ram, plenty of drive space. tried to burn origional PD 25min film with same results. Wiped all earlier efforts and re-copied origional from camera to DVD and hence to hard drive.
I can open PD7 and import and play the VOB file but the moment I try to do anything with it I get a white svreen and program not responding message.
Some info obtained suggested this may be caused by Adobe Flash so have uninstalled, run SubInAcl to fixc any possible permission errors in Windows, set Internet Exp to allow download and run of ActiveX after prompt and installed new version of Flash inc update. No change.
Version 6 running on Win XP it seems was much more stable but my computer was to restrictive in performance to do more than basic editing with regular save and re-boot.
I updated because I have a couple of hours of camcorder files I want to edit and burn to disc.
That Dualcore computer could edit and produce a file that would play in PD but wouldnt burn or save in other format. Now I've splashed out on a Quadcore PD will only play origional VOB and nothing else.
I only want the program to work - is that asking too much?
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Calvin,

I'd like to to fill in a report form - details PM'd to you.

Dafydd
[Moderator]
Jeff [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Dafydd,

It appears Calvin is experiencing the same problems we have been discussing. Let me know if there is anything that I can provide.

Cheers,
Jeff
marek [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 25, 2008 04:08 Messages: 22 Offline
[Post New]
hi everybody
the problem is that PD hangs due to using of some effects.
Try this:
1. let the PD to create disc into hard drive folder
2. after it hangs, cancel creating
3. open and play created VOB file(there will be created the VOB file in VIDEO TS folder) in any software dvd player - look at the place where the VOB ends
3. look and find this place in your project in PD timeline
4. remove effect or pip or anything else from that place in project
5.try to create disc again - now it should be OK

good luck
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Jeff,

I've PM'd you some data - to get you to fill out a report form.

Dafydd
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thank you Marek.

If Marek's suggestion works - please report what the effect or transition is you needed to remove please.

Dafydd
marek [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 25, 2008 04:08 Messages: 22 Offline
[Post New]
hi
It is not always the same effect.
In one my project the X-ray effect caused the hang of create disc but in other project the X-ray worked with no problem.
Mostly it hangs on 3D transitions .
I dont understand what exactly causes theese hangs but when I replace the efect - the problem is off.
Jupiter1 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 27, 2008 20:44 Messages: 8 Offline
[Post New]
Dafydd,
I am also am having the same issues as others here on the latest v7 build of 7.00.2227c. Instead of attempting to burn the project, I am now creating a file (in my case a 1080i MPEG2 from JVC Enviro mpg video). Breaking into smaller projects did not help and really is not viable for my creation anyway. PD is what converted teh TOD to MPG and I verified that the MPGs are fine in other editors as well. Audio was fone as well but even if you strip it out, the issue still is with the video

So...marek had made the suggestion of looking at what transitions may be at the point of the Visual C++ error by checking the uncompleted file. I believe they are on the right track as if you remove the transitions, the rendering seems to continue. Problem is that to make a visually nice video, we need transitions right? So I am stuck on where to go at this point. Oh...you asked what transitions...it seems like any transition will cause the error once you get the error popup. Specifically for me it was Fade and Box-in/out as well.

If you would like, I can upload my project to your FTP as I akready exported and tried it on multiple systems while testing and they all had the same issue at the same spots (I used a Vista x64 w/ 24MB ram, Vista 32 w/ 8GB ram and XP SP2 w/ 4GB Ram)

This is a Wedding video for my Mother-in-law's 2nd marriage so I will work with you so you can analyze this issue once and for all since it seems like it has been on the forums for quite a while and even before v6/7.

JML

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at Dec 28. 2008 15:01