Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Sorry - I'm struggling with menus again!
Fenman
Senior Contributor Location: Cambridge, UK Joined: Nov 24, 2011 04:44 Messages: 731 Offline
[Post New]
I simply can't get the disk menu in the form I want. I have two projects. One is a 27-minute video, the other a 5-minute slideshow. I would like to set the menu up to allow the user to select one or the other for playback and then return to the menu. It would also be nice, though not vital, to have an option to play them both in sequence but that's not vital.

PD9 is forcing me to have a menu structure with a main title and scenes page. If I select Play from the root menu then both titles play in sequence but if I go into the Scenes page and play the first video then the second one also plays in sequence.

I've tried changing the play mode settings but none of them give me what I'm looking for. If I choose the 'Play the selected title and return to the menu' option the titles in the Scenes page each play individually and return to the menu, which is fine, but the 'Play' option on the root page then just plays the first title.

I would settle for just having the Scenes page as the root page and selecting one or the other title to play but there doesn't seem to be any way to do that. It's making my brain hurt just trying to explain this let alone try to get this bloody-minded program to do what I want.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 07. 2015 16:56

Regards,
Mike

Home-build system:
Intel Core i5 Quad Core 3.3GHz, 2 x 4GB DDR3 1333MHz,
Asus Nvidia GT440 1GB, 2 x Western Digital WD10EARS 1TB, 1 x Seagate ST1000DM010 1TB,
Windows 7 Prof 64-bit, PD 9 Ultra 64, PD 13 Ultimate 64
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
You can do what you want, you do it with Titles in Create Disc. You create two pds projects, a 27.pds and a 5.pds. You use the icon in the pic to import both projects, these are "Titles" in PD language. On the "Scene" page you will have these two titles. Set the "Title" playback mode as desired.

A fairly detailed discussion with pic and a PD9 anomaly I discussed here http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/7497.page

Jeff
[Thumb - Menu_Title.png]
 Filename
Menu_Title.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
1666 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
159 time(s)
Fenman
Senior Contributor Location: Cambridge, UK Joined: Nov 24, 2011 04:44 Messages: 731 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Jeff,

Thanks for responding. I think I've backed myself into a corner from which there's no escape. I tried creating a new Create Disk project in the way you suggested but it keeps importing the menu data from one of the existing projects. When the pop-up appears asking "Do you want to keep using the menu data of the project file?" whichever choice I make it still imports it. Having created this menu data in one of the projects there now seems to be no way to get rid of it. Please note: the fourth and fifth screenshots below have "Play" and "Scenes" in the cropped-off bit.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at May 08. 2015 06:22

Regards,
Mike

Home-build system:
Asus Nvidia GT440 1GB, 2 x Western Digital WD10EARS 1TB, 1 x Seagate ST1000DM010 1TB,
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
I'm not catching on to your issue yet. You will always have the menu screen with "Play" and "Scene" on it. You can change those words if you don't care for them. For instance "Play" to "Play All". What I understand of your menu desire should be what I described in the "Third Scenario" in the link I had posted.

So in your case:
"Play" will play the entire DVD which you wanted
"Scene" will bring up a menu for the viewer to select either title "CAA_Steamdrive_2015 selection" or "Slideshow" for viewing. It will play the selection and return so user can select to play the other selection if desired.

Jeff
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
I am well into seeing cache problems in PD. Start the preview of the menu and then go the scenes page where there is the cache problem. Do a screenshot of the problem so we can all see it. Either Jeff or I or someone else will give you the solution. You actually have too few titles to have a problem unless you have chapters in each title which I doubt. The problem will be more clear to all if you didn't choose the Broadway menu which has too many fake thumbnails. Choose template 5, the seahorse instead to show the problem.
Fenman
[Post New]
Jeff,

I had already achieved the construct you are describing. In fact I had already changed the "Play" to "Play All" and the "Scenes" to "Go to sub-menu" on the root menu page. On the Scenes menu page I had the two titles, called "Video" and "Slideshow", with animated thumbnails. All good so far.

If it worked as you say that would exactly fulfil my requirements. The problem is that if I select the first title on the Scenes menu page then when it has finished playing it immediately starts to play the second title.

So that does precisely the same as if I'd just selected "Play" from the root menu.

As I've already pointed out I've tried all three of the possible Playback modes but none give the desired result.

Tomasc I don't understand what you mean by cache problems. This is what I've actually got:-

Root menu

Scenes menu

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 08. 2015 10:32

Regards,
Mike

Home-build system:
JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: As I've already pointed out I've tried all three of the possible Playback modes but none give the desired result.

That's a little puzzling, I'll have to try and replicate. Are you burning a DVD and trying on a standalone player. I had also noticed some anomalies there.

Jeff

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at May 08. 2015 10:31

Fenman
[Post New]
Jeff,

I've added the screenshots as requested by Tomasc. I've burned a BD disc and played the disc on my PC using Arcsoft Totalmedia Theatre 5 as I don't possess a standalone Blu-Ray player.

For standard-definition DVDs I produce to an MPEG2 file and author with a very nice little third-party program so this kind of issue doesn't arise. Regards,
Mike

Home-build system:
JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
I no longer have PD9 installed but will try to repeat with PD10 which I have and BD disc creation. Each PD version tends to have a few unique features so what you are experiencing with the play through when a title is selected could be the behaviour.

You will see in the link here with my post near the bottom for PD11 a bunch of unique aspects http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/24975.page with selected playback effects. I'm unsure how many applied to PD9.

Jeff
tomasc [Avatar]
[Post New]
I am unable to replicate your problem. Just checked out a 2012 BD with 3 thumbnail scenes page created with 6 titles with PD9. It played correctly in TMT. Just happen to have the project on my hard drive. Changed the playback mode to Play the selected title only. Previewed it and see that each title returns to that particular title page after the last chapter in that title has finished playing. Added 3 more videos not projects as titles for a total of 9 titles and each of the 3 new videos (title selected) played and when finished also return to the scenes page for that particular title.

Looked into your profile and see that you refuse to update PD9 because of mpeg-2 problems you found. I find no mpeg-2 problems on PD9 build 3305 for HD resolutions. Maybe the problem is there for dvd resolution. I don't know. This is a PD9 BD h.264 project previewed on PD9. Did not burn to disc.

Hope that someone can replicate your problem and give you the solution.
Fenman
[Post New]
Thanks tomasc. Yes, when I installed the 3305 patch it caused problems on standard DVD. The effect was symptomatic of a field order reversal. I had to roll back to my original installation to resolve it. I've since maintained rigid control of all updating on my system. Nothing is allowed to automatically update. Maybe that experience shows there is some small corruption somewhere in my system or PD installation. I think the time is approaching that I'll have to do a clean re-install of Windows at which time hopefully some of the problems may get solved. Thanks for taking the time to look at this.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at May 08. 2015 14:58

Regards,
Mike

Home-build system:
tomasc [Avatar]
[Post New]
I beleive that updating PD9 to build 3305 might solve your problem. You need to weigh this against creating mpeg-2 SD video if you are still doing dvd along with HD BD. I don't do SD on powerdirector except to answer questions.

Two years ago a user ask about a missing Time Info icon on his PD12's timeline. I did some DV capture on it and on PD9 to test only. On my PD9 capture folder, found captured DV and captured mpg. You have a choice when capturing. See the timeline screenshot. PD9 build 3305 correctly identified DV-AVI as Bottom field first and MPG capture from DV as Top field first. If this is not correct then you can change it via the TV Format if PD guessed wrong.

I reread your post and still don't know what format your camera or camcorder original source were. You did not say. That may be why no one answered you 4 years ago. I know DV was losing popularity. If it was mini DV then PD9 build 3305 correctly identified it. See the attached screenshots.

It is best to wait for Jeff or someone else to do more testing and possibly give you a solution on the menu.
[Thumb - TV Format for DV.jpg]
 Filename
TV Format for DV.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
Correct Bottom Field identification for DV-AVI
 Filesize
141 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
149 time(s)
[Thumb - TV Format for MPG.jpg]
 Filename
TV Format for MPG.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
DV captured as mpg in PD9 is Top Field First
 Filesize
233 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
144 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 08. 2015 19:02

JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
I reinstalled PD9 up to patch 2930 and the menu behaves as expected. With 2 "Titles" in the Create Disc menu project and the playback feature of "Play the selected title only" selected one gets the desired effects. Namely:
If the first title, "Video" is selected it plays and returns to the title select menu page
If the second title, "Slideshow" is selected it plays and returns to the title select menu page

My results appear to mimic tomasc results. Any chance you maybe inadvertently added your "Slideshow" to the end of the timeline on your "Video" project so it appears that if you select "Video" it plays both "Video" and "Slideshow"?

My test was BD disc, 1920x1080, H.264, PAL format and actual creation of a disc and playback.

Jeff
Fenman
[Post New]
Wow guys! I'm humbled by the lengths you're going to to resolve my problem.

tomasc : I hadn't found that Interlace/Progressive settings screen before, tucked away in the More Features button. I'd been trying to correct the field order by creating a new profile under the Produce tab but PD doesn't offer both field order settings there. Maybe now I might be able to try the 3305 patch. My video files were, as they are now, AVCHD video M2TS. I haven't used PD for AVI files as I have a much better editor that I used for my mini-DV footage (from the same stable as the DVD authoring program I mentioned earlier).

Jeff : I'm sure that when I choose "Play the selected title only" I find the "Play" button in the root menu only plays the first title, but I'll try that again just to make sure. I suspect there are some bugs in my system and they probably won't get resolved until I wipe my hard drive and do a clean install. Everything has been gradually getting slower for the last year or so, in the usual Windows fashion, so it really needs it. I've been putting off doing this for some time due to the massive amount of time and effort needed to rebuild everything afterwards (isn't Windows a great product - NOT!). Anyway I'm off on holiday next week so it'll have to wait. I'm going to need to produce a number of both standard DVDs and Blu-Ray discs from this project so I may well get the DVD's out of the way first in case I open another can of worms.

Edit: I just re-checked the playback mode settings. It is as I described earlier:-

If I set it to "Start from the menu page and play all titles sequentially" it plays both titles from within both the root menu and the scenes menu unless I select the second title in the scenes menu.

If I set it to "Play the selected title only" it plays just the first title from within the root menu and whichever title I select from within the scenes menu.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 09. 2015 06:39

Regards,
Mike

Home-build system:
JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote:
Jeff : I'm sure that when I choose "Play the selected title only" I find the "Play" button in the root menu only plays the first title, but I'll try that again just to make sure.

Fenman, that is correct, that is the PD9 anomaly I discussed in the link I had attached earlier as being the limitation:

Quote: Third Scenario So, if “Play the selected title only” is selected, one gets the following behavior: When the DVD is inserted the intro is played, followed by the DVD “Main Page”. If “Play” is selected then, Title A C1 and C2 play followed by the intro and DVD Main Page. (This appears incorrect, the entire DVD should play if “Play” was selected and return to the Main Page)

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/7497.page

That's a "feature/bug" in PD9, I wouldn't do anything to your system, nothing is wrong.

Jeff
Fenman
[Post New]
Jeff, thanks for pointing that out. I won't bother with the patch and can postpone a fresh Windows install (again). Do you happen to know if the behaviour of PD13 is any different? Regards,
Mike

Home-build system:
JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
Yes, that specific issue is corrected in PD13 for DVD and BD.

If of interest, PD13 also supports removal of the "Root" menu page.

Jeff
Fenman
[Post New]
Ok, thanks. I swore I would never buy from Cyberlink again in protest at their policy of ceasing support for products less than 5 years old but I might have to eat my words. undecided Regards,
Mike

Home-build system:
JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Ok, thanks. I swore I would never buy from Cyberlink again in protest at their policy of ceasing support for products less than 5 years old but I might have to eat my words. undecided

That's obviously up to you, I think it really depends on needs, pocketbook, and existing computer capability. You weathered through PD9 which in my experience was the worst initial release ever. Through many patches it was improved some, that's why I had removed it from my system.

Several of the last new PD product releases, PD11, PD12, PD13 have been in Sept. Often a very good deal on the current release about 60 days prior to new release or get the latestest and maybe greatest when released for a premium.

Jeff
Fenman
[Post New]
Well, I've obviously skipped too many versions to qualify for an upgrade deal but I can get a retail boxed copy of PD13 Ultimate for a good price here in the UK and I'd much prefer to do that rather than buy a download.

The reviews I've read of PD13 do make it sound tempting. Regards,
Mike

Home-build system: