Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Return to Menu at end of chapter
RobertWA [Avatar]
Senior Member Joined: Sep 20, 2008 00:18 Messages: 223 Offline
[Post New]
I was pleased to see this as a feature of PD8. However, has anybody been able to make it work? I set up a simple menu with the option to "Play the selected title only" and it played that chapter and then continued right on through to the end - just like PD7. Very disappointing.

Robert

Georg (VI)
Senior Contributor Location: Korschenbroich / Deutschland Joined: Mar 18, 2007 09:27 Messages: 1309 Offline
[Post New]
Robert, first I think also is it a bug, but Cyberlink means not chapter, they means titel. You can load there also new videoclips and projects.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 04. 2009 13:17

Viele Gruesse Georg
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Not sure a bug, I think it is CL implementation or wording. The "A", "B" and "C" are different titles, NOT chapters in a given project. A title is created by added another project, the project may have multiple chapters but is 1 new title. When you add projects, say another pds file to the content menu, it is referred to as a new title. The options control what occurs after titles are played. Chapters in a given project are always played successively.

So I guess one could create three pds files, each one representing a chapter. Then bring all 3 pds files into the content menu structure and return to main after each chapter (now titles) played.

Jeff

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 05. 2009 12:37

RobertWA [Avatar]
[Post New]
Jeff and Georg

Thanks for the help. I am happier now - my Return to Menu works! Pity Cyberlink uses Title to mean two different things!

Thanks again

Robert
RobertWA [Avatar]
[Post New]
Spoke too soon! Return to Menu works too well!!

When I select a title it plays and then returns to the menu, but when I want to play the whole movie it just plays the first title then returns to the menu. I must be doing something wrong.

Jeff and Georg - did you get it to work properly?

Robert
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Want to learn how the layered menu system functions, download the attached pic and then follow along through all 3 disc playback modes. The 3 titles, Title A, Title B and Title C were 3 different pds files.

From the pic
“Main Page”, top menu, would have play and scene buttons
“Title A B C Menu”, chapter page, allows you to pick either Title A, B or C
“Title A Video”, chapter page for Title A, has two chapters (C1 and C2)
“Title B Video”, chapter page for Title B, has two chapters (C1 and C2)
“Title C”, just a video with a default 1 chapter at the beginning

First Scenario
So, if “Start from the menu page and play all titles sequentially” is selected, one gets the following behavior:
When the DVD is inserted the intro is played, followed by the DVD “Main Page”. If “Play” is selected then, Title A C1, C2, Title B C1, C2 and Title C plays and the play returns to the “Main Page”.
If “Scene” is selected then you get the “Title A B C Menu” page. If you would select say “Title B” from this page, then you get the “Title B Video” chapter page and can start play with C1 or C2. Play will start with selected entry and play all titles and chapters through then return to the “Main Page”. If one would have selected “Title C” from the “Title A B C Menu” page it would play immediately as it has no chapter pages (single chapter) and return to the “Main Page” when finished.

Second Scenario
So, if “Start from the first title and play all titles sequentially” is selected, one gets the following behavior:
When the DVD is inserted, “Title A” starts to play followed by Title B and Title C and then play returns to the “Main Page”, all chapters are played.
When back on the “Main Page”, if “Scene” is selected then you get the “Title A B C Menu” page. If you would select say “Title B”, then you get the “Title B Video” chapter page and can start play with C1 or C2. Play will start with the selected entry and play all titles and chapters through then return to the “Main Page”. If one would have selected “Title C” from the “Title A B C Menu” page it would play immediately as it has no chapter pages (single chapter) and return to the “Main Page”.

Third Scenario
So, if “Play the selected title only” is selected, one gets the following behavior:
When the DVD is inserted the intro is played, followed by the DVD “Main Page”. If “Play” is selected then, Title A C1 and C2 play followed by the intro and DVD Main Page. (This appears incorrect, the entire DVD should play if “Play” was selected and return to the Main Page)
If “Scene” is selected then you get the “Title A B C Menu” page. If you would select say “Title B”, then you get the “Title B Video” chapter page and can start play with C1 or C2. Play will start with the selected entry and play just this one title (Title B) and all chapters through then return to the “Title B Video” page. If one would have selected “Title C” from the “Title A B C Menu” page it would play immediately as it has no chapter pages (single chapter) and return to the “Title A B C Menu” page, again, it has no chapter page to return to.

In my opinion, I think it works correctly EXCEPT for the 1 anomaly noted above

Jeff
[Thumb - menu.gif]
 Filename
menu.gif
[Disk]
 Description
Create disc menu
 Filesize
20 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
511 time(s)

This message was edited 7 times. Last update was at Nov 13. 2009 12:50

RobertWA [Avatar]
[Post New]
Jeff

Thanks. It was the anomaly that I was concerned about.

I contacted Technical Support to ask them how to overcome that shortcoming and create a menu with a true "Play All" and "Return to Menu" option. They apparently do not see this as a problem. They replied:

In regards to your concern, we want to tell you that if you want to start with the menu, then you can only choose two option in the "Playback Mode Setting" :

1) Start from the Menu page and play all titles sequentially.

and

3) Play the select titles only.

NOTE : Please note that you cannot have your desired setting to use the menu feature in PowerDirector. You will be able to use the features which are provided only in the PowerDirector 8 software.

So it looks as if the anomaly is here to stay.

I found it interesting that Power Producer 5 also has a Return to Menu feature very similar to that in PD8. It even has the same anomaly!

Robert
MICHAEL [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 18, 2009 22:42 Messages: 8 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks guys for the question and thorough explanation. I plan to bug support about this one as well. Play in scenario C should play the entire disc regardless.

I wonder is it typical for the DVD specs to allow control play at the chapter level, or is titling the only way. I also wonder if it is possible to control / reacharound this by burning to a folder and modifying the resulting structure in some way, then using another burning software to burn the DVD from the folder content.

But your explanation surely helped me understand what was going on - scenes vs titles. I can copy / paste my specs, or you can see them in the Compatibility List post, I say, let's conserve electrons...
Morag [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 31, 2012 16:20 Messages: 7 Offline
[Post New]
I'm curious if you ever made any progress on the anomoly mentioned. I am currently wondering what exactly the point of the "Play" option on the root menu even is when you select “Play the selected title only”, since it will always play the first one. I would delete it from the menu, but it seems you are not allowed to!
JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
The anomaly I mentioned has not changed in PD8, PD9, nor had it changed in PD10, v1005 (initial release). I gave up checking after that as they must think the behavior is correct. It would appear a simple thing to correct if deemed incorrect. I have not checked the latest PD10, 1129b but can't image a change. I’m just reporting the weather.

Jeff
Morag [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 31, 2012 16:20 Messages: 7 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks for the update - I was asking because PD 10.0.0.1129b also has the issue, so now your weather list is up-to-date. :

Cheers
Morag