Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
"Power DVD is already running ..."
[Post New]
When I close Power DVD 13 Ultra (build 3520) on my system, it shuts down normally but always leaves two processes running. The next time (in the same Windows session) that I insert a disc or launch a file into PDVD from Explorer, ratehr than launching the app I get an error saying it's already running, and I have to go into Task Manager and manually close the two processes before the app will load.

Why is this happening? I've tried removing the app and reinstalling, but it makes no difference. Is there a way to resolve this?

(Just for reference, I get no errors on the re-install or installing the updates. As mentioned, I have version 13 Ultra, build 3520, so there are no newer updates to install. This is on Windows 7 x64.)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 06. 2014 08:07

CyberLink-Michael [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Europe Joined: Apr 18, 2007 04:05 Messages: 7418 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Branais,
such issue can have a lot of root causes.
suggest you get in contat with CyberLink technical Support Team

br
Michael
Technical Support

Werde Facebook Fan
[Post New]
Thanks Michael,
But the reason I post here is I get a lot more useful suggestions and information out of other users than I ever have from Cyberlink technical support.

Out of the issues I've taken to them, not one has ever been resolved. The most useful suggestion they've ever offered has been to wait for the next version, upgrade, and hope the problem goes away. The most *usual* reply I get is "no-one else has ever reported this" (even when there are threads on the specific issue here on the forum!) and then they seem to think that ends the matter. Most of my enquiries have ended with my providing as much information as I can and then tech support saying things like "make sure you have the most recent video drivers" (despite the fact I've already told them that I do), and then their simply not replying any further.

Bloody useless, not to mention unprofessional. It must be obvious I'm not impressed, but I have every right to be. More to the point, it leaves me with no option but to post here. Opening an incident with tech support is a waste of time.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 06. 2014 10:12

Senior Contributor Location: Europe Joined: Apr 18, 2007 04:05 Messages: 7418 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
sure no Problem to post here - just wanted to ensure that you don't miss any option.

Sorry that technical support was not able to help you in the past. I don't know your cases but overall the CS Team is trying it's best to solve all the reported issues - of course some issues are related to specific platforms or other items out of our reach.

In order to get help from other users here you may post more information about your platform here - a good start is our Welcome Posting

The most *usual* reply I get is "no-one else has ever reported this" (even when there are threads on the specific issue here on the forum!)

Please let me Highlight that technical or customer Support is neither reading, monitoring nor replying in this Forum. If an issue has been discussed in the Forum it does not mean that it is a known issue or an issue at all - some of the symptoms are related to platforms, some are bugs, but if the users don't Report them to the technical support Team - they cannot know about them.

Lets try to dig into your issue carefully, if possible post more info as asked above and even describing how you open the files and where they are located can help to indicate to an possible cause of the symptoms.

br
Michael

Technical Support

Werde Facebook Fan
[Post New]
Quote: Please let me Highlight that technical or customer Support is neither reading, monitoring nor replying in this Forum. If an issue has been discussed in the Forum it does not mean that it is a known issue or an issue at all - some of the symptoms are related to platforms, some are bugs, but if the users don't Report them to the technical support Team - they cannot know about them.

I think that suggests that either technical support doesn't keep accurate track of issues raised with it (which I can quite believe, given my own experience with them), and treat every issue raised as a single problem in isolation, or other people have realised how useless it is to post incidents with them.

I don't want to just rubbish tech support, but I find it frustrating that such a high-profile app is so badly supported — especially when you make the case that so many things on a system can affect its performance. You'd think that would mean they'd be on their toes with supporting it, not going back to baby-level questions every time you raise a question wih them.

OK. I'll go through the list in your linked message. I've already done with this tech support, and none of the informqation has ever even be referred to by them, so does it really make a difference? Ah well:

PowerDVD Version: 13.0.3520.58, FULL retail ULTRA version (bought from Cyberlink site)
PowerDVD SR Number DVD131120-01 (DVD 130313-10)
PowerDVD TR Number TR131129-935
Operating System Windows 7 x64 SP1
Account has administrator rights

Video card: ATI Radeon HD 5700
Video driver: version 9.12.0.0 (Windows Update reports no newer driver available)
Audio device: Realtek HD Audio
Audio driver: 6.0.1.6194 (Windows Update reports no newer driver available)
Audio setting in PowerDVD: varies, but usually Dolby Virtual Speaker
ODD drive: LG BH10LS30 BD Burner
Display: Samsung SyncMaster EX2220
Connection: DVI
Refresh rate: 60 Hz
Single monitor environment, no 3D

Antivirus: Bitdefender Internet Security 2014
Browser: Have Chrome, IE 11 and Firefox 26 installed. Use Firefox as default.
No virtual ODD
AERO typically left on
Habitually use Hardware acceleration but no TrueTheater Effects

DXDIAG is attached.

Thanks for your help, Michael, but I'm not sure how any of that info has a bearing on PDVD leaving processes running when it closes? Nevertheless, I appreciate any comments you might be able to make.

Thanks.
Bran
 Filename
DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
29 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
486 time(s)
kokap [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 01, 2013 05:01 Messages: 26 Offline
[Post New]
I have 3 PowerDVD Ultra on 3 PCs.
And I suffer sometimes from the same problem on all PCs.
[Post New]
So not just me, then. ;

Have you spoekn with tech support, kokap? Did they make any suggestions?

Or have you just been manually stopping the processes, like I have?
kokap [Avatar]
[Post New]
No, I have not.
I stop the PowerDVD processes manually.
As far as I know it is an old known issue.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Feb 06. 2014 20:32

kokap [Avatar]
[Post New]
For example see
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/23405.page
[Post New]
Thanks for the link, kokap.

I never used PDVD12, I *bought* it, but it had problems on my system and tech support were no help, so I went back to version 11 until version 13 came along.

I've logged an issue with tech support. I'll see if I get any kind of a useful answer.
[Post New]
Hi,
ok, lets try to find the necessary reproduct steps in order to enable our QA to reproduce teh issue - as you might understand, without beeing able to reproduce the issue nobody will be able to find the possible root cause.

Please try the following:

1. make IE your Default browser, reboot and try - any Change?

2. temproarily disable the AV (you may disconnect PC from Internet) > any Change?

3. you provide dump file log:
http://www.cyberlink.com/support/faq-content.do?id=14591

thx
Michael Technical Support

Werde Facebook Fan
86sixsix [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 01, 2010 10:08 Messages: 34 Offline
[Post New]
happens to me also

v3105 would always exhibit this
subsequent patches only do it *after* playing a physical bluray disc

powerdvd.exe leaves a single thread on my 1st of 8 cores sat there at 100% duty, total cpu usage 13%
[Post New]
Quote: happens to me also

v3105 would always exhibit this
subsequent patches only do it *after* playing a physical bluray disc

powerdvd.exe leaves a single thread on my 1st of 8 cores sat there at 100% duty, total cpu usage 13%

Please do:
- contact technical Support
- post the Infos asked http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/27714.page
- post the dump log

Werde Facebook Fan
[Post New]
Hi,

Our RD would like to remote debug your issues - please get in contact with me by PM in this Forum so I can Forward you to the procedure.

thx

Werde Facebook Fan
86sixsix [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 01, 2010 10:08 Messages: 34 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Hi,

Our RD would like to remote debug your issues - please get in contact with me by PM in this Forum so I can Forward you to the procedure.

thx
Michael

let cyberlink "technical" in my machines? hahaha. fix the advanced audio settings registry entries relating to channel expansion not sticking first to demonstrate they're adept enough to peruse my machines, then we'll talk. they've got all my info. they've had it since version 12 when i originally reported all this.
[Post New]
After several days, I've received a typically useless response from tech support.

Their solution? Look for graphic driver updates (though I've already told them there aren't any), kill my AV software (and then what?!), kill anything that autostarts at Windows boot (and then what?!), make sure I never have anything else running when I run PDVD.

How does that make any real-world sense?

Buck passed. Again.
[Post New]
hey, take a look at http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/32570.page
[Post New]
Quote: Hi,
ok, lets try to find the necessary reproduct steps in order to enable our QA to reproduce teh issue - as you might understand, without beeing able to reproduce the issue nobody will be able to find the possible root cause.

Please try the following:

1. make IE your Default browser, reboot and try - any Change?

2. temproarily disable the AV (you may disconnect PC from Internet) > any Change?

3. you provide dump file log:
http://www.cyberlink.com/support/faq-content.do?id=14591

thx
Michael

Hi Michael,
Thanks for this reply. I apologise that I forgot to answer your questions.

1) I had to install and activate IE to do this, but no, it made no difference.

2) I disabled my Av software (Bitstream Internet Security 2013), and also the firewall component, but it made no difference. The firewall is aware of PDVD, and allows it full access.

3) I created Dump files for both PowerDVD.exe and PowerDVD13.exe, but I haven't attached them here, because they are simply too big. PowerDVD.DMP is 95 MB, and PowerDVD13.DMP is 292 MB. I tried opening them in Notepad to see what they contain, but they made Notepad hang.

What should I do now?

Cyberlink tech support's suggestions were to cut my display settings down to below native HD resolution (which is also below the native resolution of the screen), and kill everything that's in Windows Startup in the Registry. (There's almost nothing there as it is.) Neither of these resolves the problem, and none of it is practical for ongoing use, so that doesn't help. (I also fail to see what any of this has to do with PowerDVD not closing its own processes on shut-down.)

So. I'd be grateful for your help, Michael. What's next?
[Post New]

Hi,
thanks for sorting this out - I have forwarded to our Team and it seems they made some Progress in reproducing the symptom.

br

Werde Facebook Fan
[Post New]
Umm, nothing's sorted out. The problem is with disks in a physical drive, not indexed video files on the system.

I haven't heard anything from your contacts who wanted to troubleshoot this, Michael.