Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Issues With Sept 2020 update to PDR19/365
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote One can evaluate with about anything as long as you still have PD18 available.

For a very basic test that could even be replicated by CL perhaps, I took the 3 skateboard files, Skateboard01.mp4, 02, and 03 and duplicated in the timeline 5 times to create some working footage. I then produced this to a AVC MP4, default 1920x1080/60p 40Mbps profile, again just to create some higher complexity working footage with reasonable decode load with the canned source files.

1) place sport 01.jpg in the timeline (needed because of another continued PD anomaly/bug)
2) place produced footage above in timeline (see timeline pic)
3) produce to same profile for simplicity with various decode and encode device options but not utilizing SVRT, we want to actually encode the timeline
4) do the same with PD18 and PD19

Results shown in attached table. Basically, for this simple transcode case, anytime the CPU is used for decoding, PD19 is nearly 1.5X slower encoding than PD18. Results will vary based on hardware but PD19 a significant step backward on encode performance when CPU needs to do the decode tasks which is often needed to prevent other anomalies often shown in prior versions.

So what often is referenced as the staple, CPU decode and encode, simply got significantly slower with PD19 for the same perceived quality.

Jeff

I just wanted to follow-up that the issue I was seeing of PD19 being ~1.5X slower than PD18 for CPU decode/encode has been resolved. I now see nearly unity ratios for PD19/PD18 for all render configurations. For some reason the Virus Protection software I use had an anomaly with PD19. It had no such issue with PD18, 17, 16. In fact, after resolution, the PD18 encode times are identical, it only reduced PD19 encode times.

Jeff
Chris_T53 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 05, 2020 05:53 Messages: 14 Offline
[Post New]

I just wanted to follow-up that the issue I was seeing of PD19 being ~1.5X slower than PD18 for CPU decode/encode has been resolved. I now see nearly unity ratios for PD19/PD18 for all render configurations. For some reason the Virus Protection software I use had an anomaly with PD19. It had no such issue with PD18, 17, 16. In fact, after resolution, the PD18 encode times are identical, it only reduced PD19 encode times.

Jeff

This doesn't work for me I still have the problem after adding an exception for PD19 and also after completely disabling the antivirus programme. A similar exercise with Malwarebytes also solved nothing.
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote This doesn't work for me I still have the problem after adding an exception for PD19 and also after completely disabling the antivirus programme. A similar exercise with Malwarebytes also solved nothing.

Your issue was scrolling titles, I believe from past experience that is a separate issue than the sequence I documented as causing an issue so it's not surprising it solved nothing.

Jeff
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Your issue was scrolling titles, I believe from past experience that is a separate issue than the sequence I documented as causing an issue so it's not surprising it solved nothing.

It's another data point, though. I also don't see any change in trying to produce a scolling title project when my AV diisabled, but your finding shows there seems to be a PD/AV interaction on some level.

With the original Death By Titles issue, having MS Edge closed would often make a noticeable difference in previewing fluency with PD17, but not enough to show causality.

I'm in communication with tech support on this and will post back once we get to the substance of the problem.
BRUNO T. [Avatar]
Member Location: France Joined: May 06, 2016 06:15 Messages: 61 Offline
[Post New]
Dears,

Im using PD since 3 years now. SUbscription and just update to 19.
There are some huge differences in rendering movie, depending on GPU usage. Globally when using titles I found 19 to be slower than 18, but as I no linger have access to 18 (subs. upgrade...), I don't kown about the factor...
I have a I7 8700k @ 4.7 GHz, Nvidia GTX 960

Just to give an idea/benchmarks on clips rendering with titles:

• a 18 sec clip + a title with the same length + music clip same lenth

• just rendering the clip+music to title, SVRT available: redering time: 1 sec

• with a a title from "minimal titles pack", SVRT not available, Material encoding: rendering time 9 sec cool, average GPU load 45%

• with a title from "Broadcast pack", SVRT not available, Material encoding: rendering time 39 sec cry, average GPU load 5%

• with simple scrolling title, SVRT not available, Material encoding: rendering time 1min 5 sec cry, average GPU load 5%

As you can see, some huges differences... so try the titles working the best ... but we should have in 2020, far better and homogeneous perf. across any titles with full GPU support yellyell !!!!

I will mail this to CB, and check their answer...(certainely ask me for tons of files as I previously did for a crash issue, for a poor answer..)

Bruno
BRUNO T. [Avatar]
[Post New]
To continue:

• very good results with "social netw title" pack, as the "minimal titles pack"

• very good results with "Graphical animation" pack, as the "minimal titles pack"

• bad results with "Tut creation" pack as "Broadcast pack"

• bad results with "Music festival" pack as "Broadcast pack"

bruno
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
CL have now confirmed that they've seen the issue using the test project I shared and have forwarded it on to engineering.

In my experience, describing the issue with enough detail for support to duplicate and actually see the problem on their machines is the single biggest hurdle to getting an issue fixed.

Now that they've confirmed the issue, we'll have to see how long it will take the devs to figure out what's happening and get a patch written, tested and released.
BRUNO T. [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote CL have now confirmed that they've seen the issue using the test project I shared and have forwarded it on to engineering.

In my experience, describing the issue with enough detail for support to duplicate and actually see the problem on their machines is the single biggest hurdle to getting an issue fixed.

Now that they've confirmed the issue, we'll have to see how long it will take the devs to figure out what's happening and get a patch written, tested and released.

that's a good new. Hope they will react with a patch in the coming weeks...
I opened a ticket from my side with CL France for that purpose.
They asked me all the details as usual... I answered the trouble in not on my PC, just checked what have been identified as issues on their algorithms side yell. I'm fed up with Editors pushing the issues on customers PCs...
JackJones24 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 15, 2011 14:56 Messages: 16 Offline
[Post New]
I have a similiar configuration with the one below except I am using the Gigagybte Z370 Gaming 7 with the Intell Core i7 8700K. I am using the same graphics card. I record tons of .mts files using a Sony a6500 camera. I had no problem editing these files in Cyberlink 18 or earlier versions but editing my .mts files in Cyberlink 19 crashes not only Cyberlink but my computer every time. THis happens even if I convert the .MTS files to MP4 files using other video converters and subsequently load and edit them in PowerDirector 19. I even tried editing my .mts files in Vegas Pro 17 and render an Mp4 file but that also crashes my computer when attempting to edit the resulting file in PowerDirector 19. Bottom line is I can't even get to the stage of testing the rendering time in PowerDirector 19 using the GPU mode. I have the latest graphics card drivers installed but thinking it may be my graphics card. My question is that have you tried editing .MTS files in your configuration below?

Quote Hi there!

Been using Powerdirector all the way back since Powerdirector 12 and I'm really loving the new features and quality of life improvements in the latest version. However, I've noticed something very strange, I use hardware acceleration for my renders and in Powerdirector 18 - and all versions before that - my GPU would put in almost all of the work, my GPU would normally be at 60% usage whereas my CPU would be at about 30%. With the exact same settings in PD19, my usage tends to be 70% for CPU, and around 40-50% for GPU. Not only that, my average render time has almost doubled. I've already made sure my drivers are up to date, not sure what else could help. Would really appreciate any advice about this - Thanks!

I'll list my specs here, in case that helps:

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 AORUS PRO
Processor: Intel Core i9 Eight Core Processor i9-9900k (3.6GHz) 16mb cache
GPU: 8GB ASUS ROG STRIX GEFORCE RTX 2080
RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4 3000MHz
Storage Drives: 250gb Seagate Barracuda 2.5" SSD + 4TB Seagate Barracuda Pro 3.5" 7200RPM Hard Drive
PSU: Corsair 850W RMx Series Modular 80 Plus Gold Ultra Quiet
optodata
[Post New]
I often use Canon MTS files and haven't seen any issues with PD19/365. It would help to see the DxDiag results from your computer as requested in the Read Me Before Posting guide.

You may also want to share a sample clip from your a6500 so other people can see if there's anything unusual about it. Please see this FAQ regarding proivacy and sharing media clips via the cloud.
JackJones24 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote I often use Canon MTS files and haven't seen any issues with PD19/365. It would help to see the DxDiag results from your computer as requested in the Read Me Before Posting guide.

You may also want to share a sample clip from your a6500 so other people can see if there's anything unusual about it. Please see this FAQ regarding proivacy and sharing media clips via the cloud.

Thanks for your quick response. Attached is a DXDiag info file. I just noticed that reading 9x16 files in PowerDirector 19/365 created on my Samsung Galaxy 8 phone also causes problems and cannot be read.

I had forgotten that I have a copy of PowerDirector 19/365 on my Dell travel laptop which is about 10 years old. Yet, I was just able to load and edit the same .mts files on the laptop without problem. The 9x16 files also work on the laptop. I am running Windows 10 Version 1909 on the laptop but on my desktop I am runing WIndows 10 PRO Ver 2004.

Another interesting fact is that on my desktop, I was having problems playing my .mts files using PowerDVD 19 and it would crash that software. However, when I upgraded to PowerDVD 20 the problem went away and they play fantastic.

A lot of weird things going on! I have tested my Asus Gefroece RTX 2080 card using the UNigine Heaven Benchmark and it did not find any problems with the card or its memory. Any ideas what is going on?

Jack Jones
 Filename
DxDiag.txt for JackJones - mts file problem.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
126 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
432 time(s)
optodata
[Post New]
Thanks for all the additional details. We can clearly focus on your desktop rather than on the MTS clips.

One thing you can try is to uncheck the Enable hardware decoding option from Settings | Hardware Acceleration and see if that makes any difference. If it does, you should run the nVidia 456.98 installer again to reinstall the existing driver cleanly.

On the nVidia Installation Options page, chose Custom (Advanced) then select only the Graphics Driver and also check the Perform a clean installation box. This will force the installer to remove all existing drivers and then only (re)install the new graphics driver. You may need/want to reboot.

If disabling hardware decoding or reinstalling the nVidia driver doesn't work, you may want to check Windows' core system files as decribed in this post. There are a wide range of BSOD and other serious app crashes listed at the end of the DxDiag report, and sometimes these errors can be addressed by running the diagnostic commands in the linked post.
JackJones24 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Thanks for all the additional details. We can clearly focus on your desktop rather than on the MTS clips.

One thing you can try is to uncheck the Enable hardware decoding option from Settings | Hardware Acceleration and see if that makes any difference. If it does, you should run the nVidia 456.98 installer again to reinstall the existing driver cleanly.

On the nVidia Installation Options page, chose Custom (Advanced) then select only the Graphics Driver and also check the Perform a clean installation box. This will force the installer to remove all existing drivers and then only (re)install the new graphics driver. You may need/want to reboot.

If disabling hardware decoding or reinstalling the nVidia driver doesn't work, you may want to check Windows' core system files as decribed in this post. There are a wide range of BSOD and other serious app crashes listed at the end of the DxDiag report, and sometimes these errors can be addressed by running the diagnostic commands in the linked post.

Your advice above on re-installing the latest nvidia driver and performing a clean installation resolved the problem. There must have been a bug in the driver where it couldn't recognize the .mts format. Thanks very much -now I can continue with using my Sony A6500 camera for video capture and editing within PowerDirector 19.
BRUNO T. [Avatar]
[Post New]

Your advice above on re-installing the latest nvidia driver and performing a clean installation resolved the problem. There must have been a bug in the driver where it couldn't recognize the .mts format. Thanks very much -now I can continue with using my Sony A6500 camera for video capture and editing within PowerDirector 19.

Dears,
Pleased to annonce the last release 19.0.2222..0 for my 365 I installed this morning solves the long time production depending on titles. Now whatever the title pack, the elapsed time to produce is the same from my test (producing HD H265, 15 Mb bitrate, 50p videos)

Bruno

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 30. 2020 10:02

JackJones24 [Avatar]
[Post New]

Dears,
Pleased to annonce the last release 19.0.2222..0 for my 365 I installed this morning solves the long time production depending on titles. Now whatever the title pack, the elapsed time to produce is the same from my test (producing HD H265, 15 Mb bitrate, 50p videos)

Bruno

This reply is in regards to the issue of PowerDirector 265/19 crashing when editing .MTS files from Sony digital cameras. It appeared to have been an issue with the NVIDIA drivers for Geforce RTX 2080 graphics cards. The resolution was installing the lastest Nvidia Studio graphics driver and not the Nvidia Game Graphics driver. I just wanted to be more clear with that fact just in case other PowerDirector users with RTX graphics cards were experiencing the same problem.
JackJones24 [Avatar]
[Post New]

This reply is in regards to the issue of PowerDirector 265/19 crashing when editing .MTS files from Sony digital cameras. It appeared to have been an issue with the NVIDIA drivers for Geforce RTX 2080 graphics cards. The resolution was installing the lastest Nvidia Studio graphics driver and not the Nvidia Game Graphics driver. I just wanted to be more clear with that fact just in case other PowerDirector users with RTX graphics cards were experiencing the same problem.

Well, I guess I spoke to soon. I just went into the Cyberlink program manager and noticed that they just released an upgrade to PowerDirector 365/19. So I upgraded to this new release. And unfortuately, it undid the problem correction of being able to edit .MTS files. So now I am back to the starting point of my computer crashing when trying to edit .MTS files. I can still play these .mts files in PowerDVD 19. I have just discovered by using Movavi Video converter 2021 to convert the .MTS file to .MP4 files, it will allow me to edit these .M4 files in PowerDirector 365/19. So I now have a workaround. It would be nice to be able to process the .MTS files right in PowerDirector and maybe Cyberlink will provide a future release that will do that, but personnally, I don't have any more time to deal with it. Thanks for all those who made suggestions.
optodata
[Post New]
It's hard to see why the new version would have trouble with those clips. It's more likely that something else happened at the same time, like maybe the Windows 20H2 release which could easily have changed the nVidia driver.

Since the nVidia driver is what caused the crash last time, download the latest Studio Driver (456.71) and go through the clean install process like last time.
JackJones24 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote It's hard to see why the new version would have trouble with those clips. It's more likely that something else happened at the same time, like maybe the Windows 20H2 release which could easily have changed the nVidia driver.

Since the nVidia driver is what caused the crash last time, download the latest Studio Driver (456.71) and go through the clean install process like last time.

Thanks again for addressing this issue. It was when I installed the latest Nvidia Studio Driver 456.71 that you referenced above 3 days ago which corrected the problem of not being able to read the .mts files in CyberProducer 365/19. So for about 2 days, I was able to edit .mts just like I was always able to edit them in PowerDirector 18. However, as soon as I updated PowerDirector 19 to version 19.0.2222.0 which was last night, I began experiencing the problem again. I am running Windows 10 Pro Ver 2004 and the last cumulative update I have is KB4571756 whic was installed on October 21. I don't know about you but I am hesitant to install the latest cumulatiive update for Windows 10 Version 2004 (KB4579311) or the WIndows 20H2 update until I feel safe enough given the problems users report about every Microsoft Windows update. Perhaps when I am ready to do that it will help out.

But can you explain to me that when the only thing that changed since last night was updating to PowerDirector 19.0.2222.0 and now the .mts problem occurs again? Is PowerDirector installing Windows DLL's or Nvidia Graphics drivers? Like I said, I am using the Nvidia Studio 456.71 driver.

By the way, I have 5 other video editiors such as Magix Edit Pro, Vegas Pro 17, Corel VIdeostudio 21, Nero Video 2020, and Davinci 16 which I have never experienced any problems editing .mts files. PowerDirector is my favorite editor among these others but until moving to PowerDirector 19 about a month ago everything was okay. This is really perplexing to me as I have been working with computers since the late 1970"s
optodata
[Post New]
Quote I don't know about you but I am hesitant to install the latest cumulatiive update for Windows 10 Version 2004 (KB4579311) or the WIndows 20H2 update until I feel safe enough given the problems users report about every Microsoft Windows update. Perhaps when I am ready to do that it will help out.

I've already installed 20H2 on all 4 of my Windows machines and haven't noticed anything amiss.

Two of the PCs are for dedicated uses while my Surface Book 3 and my desktop are my main systems. Users always have 10 days to roll back an update like this, and I have many system backups and recovery tools so I know I can recover from almost anything.

I'm not saying you should update to 20H2, merely that it was a possiblity that it could have changed your video driver if it was installed.

Quote But can you explain to me that when the only thing that changed since last night was updating to PowerDirector 19.0.2222.0 and now the .mts problem occurs again? Is PowerDirector installing Windows DLL's or Nvidia Graphics drivers? Like I said, I am using the Nvidia Studio 456.71 driver.

Sorry about the driver version mixup.

Remember that we don't really know what was wrong with your system originally - only that a clean nVidia driver installation resolved the issue. It's possible that the latest update of PD broke whatever the clean install had fixed so it seems reasonable to try that clean install again. There's an even newer Game Ready driver if you'd like to try that.
Adam Wilson [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 07, 2021 03:57 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]

Jeff

Im no computer guru guys but as stated above the program appears to be doing something in the background. It doesn't seem to be able to move on to the next project. Like there is residual information jamming the system. I had a 13 minute video producing today which took about 4 hours to produce 16%. Then it crashed and I lost the file anyway. I have spent two days just trying to produce an already edited product only to have to continually redo things as it doesn't save things even when you save them. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling it. It was working fine after a couple of projects and then went to basically a stand still. It continually is unresponsive. It starts to load a project and seems to always freeze at 20%. I only bought the PD 19 ultimate on Monday this week. It gets to the point where you can not even make simple selections. You are forever waiting for it to catch up and I'm talking minutes and minutes of waiting.

The other reason I suggest it's runnnng in the background is that even when I select end program I find I can't simply reopen it. It says concurrent programs aren't available. Which to me suggests it's running. However task manager won't pick it up as still running. To get task manager to recognise it I have to double click the PD19 icon to open it and that's when I get the concurrent comment and it shows on task manager.
 Filename
DxDiagAdam.txt
[Disk]
 Description
System Info
 Filesize
77 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
403 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 07. 2021 04:23

optodata
[Post New]
Sorry about all the trouble you're having. It actually would have been better if you started a new discussion becuase this was regarding the Sept 2020 update and newer versions have been relesed since then.

To your issue, thanks very much for including the DxDiag report.

It shows that some important drivers are several years out of date, and the best way to get your Dell laptop up-to-date is to visit their support page and choose the Detect Driver option. Install all the recommended updates and then reboot.

The DxDiag results also show lots of crashes of 2 different version of PD19, so make sure you have the latest version (2325) installed.

As a test, download the test project from this OneDrive folder (no need to sign up/login) and open up the Forum Test Project + title and see if things work normally. You can also try producing to H.264 AVC MPEG-4 1920 x 1080/30p (16Mbps) to see how long it takes.