Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
SmartSound installs over and over again
jerrys
Senior Contributor Location: New Britain, CT, USA (between New York and Boston) Joined: Feb 10, 2010 21:36 Messages: 1038 Offline
[Post New]
The short version is that every time I try to use SmartSound, even if all I'm doing is moving a track, QuickTracks runs through the Windows installer several times.

I had this same problem with PD9: =>SmartSound installs over and over again

I spent a lot of time with SmartSound support, and vvs., and we were unable to fix the problem.

I uninstalled, re-installed, cleaned the registry both with a program and by hand, and did just about everything we could think of.

One thing I did not do is uninstall other Cyberlink products. They came pre-installed on my machine, so if I remove them I won't be able to get them back. As a consequence, I can't remove every Cyberlink-related key from the registry.

SonicFire Pro works just fine, but because it isn't tied to PD it's a little awkward to use.

Ideas, anyone

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 16. 2011 13:47

Jerry Schwartz
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
That is the 1st reference to SS I ever came across that noted they could NOT fix an issue. Stunned silence. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
jerrys
Senior Contributor Location: New Britain, CT, USA (between New York and Boston) Joined: Feb 10, 2010 21:36 Messages: 1038 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: That is the 1st reference to SS I ever came across that noted they could NOT fix an issue. Stunned silence.

It's conceivable that the problem is with some Cyberlink registry key.

Perhaps I'll fiddle with that tomorrow. Jerry Schwartz
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Probably not really a SS issue perhaps. My guess is a failed/corrupt install (maybe an earlier CL product or another) with a reg key set and msi keeps attempting the install. Not sure of your OS, there used to be a tool by Microsoft, msispy, that often shed some light on the potential install issues. Does the event viewer give you any guidance? I had something similar several yrs back with a different product, a shortcut that was created and not removed from reg was the issue.

Jeff
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
I have a copy of Windows Installer cleanup, might that help? It's sort of considered the Absinthe of removers, maybe dangerous in the wrong hands. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
jerrys
[Post New]
Quote: Probably not really a SS issue perhaps. My guess is a failed/corrupt install (maybe an earlier CL product or another) with a reg key set and msi keeps attempting the install. Not sure of your OS, there used to be a tool by Microsoft, msispy, that often shed some light on the potential install issues. Does the event viewer give you any guidance? I had something similar several yrs back with a different product, a shortcut that was created and not removed from reg was the issue.

Jeff

It's almost certainly not an SS issue. The problem is that there's no way to run a test without PD installed.

Barry, I thought I had a copy of Windows Installer Cleanup here; but I might have uninstalled it. :

If I have time today, I'll do some more thorough investigation. Since this started happening the very first time I used SmartSound from PD9, I'm afraid it must be something hidden pretty deeply.

As I said, I have some Cyberlink software that was bundled with my system; so I have no way to restore it if I blow it away. It has the helpful name of "Cyberlink DVD Suite Deluxe", and it contains HP-branded versions of Power2Go, PowerDirector 8 (long since gone), and LabelPrint.

I think the only piece I need is Power2Go, but as I said it would be impossible for me to recover it once it is gone.

I could always upgrade to the most current retail version of Power2Go, I guess. Jerry Schwartz
RobertJ/OZ [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Melbourne Australia Joined: Aug 14, 2006 02:26 Messages: 1209 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Jerry,

My HP computer also came with CyberLink DVD Suite Deluxe pre-installed, the first thing I did was to remove the complete suite, then installed the full version products that I wanted.
HP system recovery will reinstall the complete package if you ever needed it, can't see why you would, they are OEM products.
I have no issue with SmartSound and Windows installer.

Robert Intel i7 930, 16GB ram, Radeon HD 5770 1Gb,Ver. 14.12 Win7 64 bit
Intel i7 7700 HQ, 16 GB ram Nvidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB dual drives 1 TB SSD + 1 TB HDD Win 10

PDtoots
jerrys
[Post New]
Quote: Hi Jerry,

My HP computer also came with CyberLink DVD Suite Deluxe pre-installed, the first thing I did was to remove the complete suite, then installed the full version products that I wanted.
HP system recovery will reinstall the complete package if you ever needed it, can't see why you would, they are OEM products.
I have no issue with SmartSound and Windows installer.

Robert

By "HP System Recovery" do you mean the thing you can boot into? I've always stayed away from it (which is uncharacteristic for a chronic tinkerer like me).

I don't want to re-install the suite anyways, I have to start all over again rolling forward from PD8 to PD10.

I might just buy Power2Go, or use the Roxio stuff that came with my latest DVD hardware. Jerry Schwartz
jerrys
[Post New]
Well, I decided I would purchase the current version of Power2Go; so I de-installed that "DVD Suite Deluxe."

My intention was to clean all references to CyberLink out of my registry and then start over.

Unfortunately, I chickened out. There were too many references to CyberLink that seemed unrelated to PD, Power2Go, or LabelPrint. It looks like CyberLink stuff is all through the HP A/V software.

In the end, I'm right back where I started from. Jerry Schwartz
RobertJ/OZ [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Melbourne Australia Joined: Aug 14, 2006 02:26 Messages: 1209 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Jerry,

Deleting from your computer is a tricky one, you need to identify HP Media Smart DVD, Media Smart Video, both of these use CyberLink products, also you can leave LabelPrint alone, you can then delete everything else.
I have done it, with some trepidation, but no damage done

Robert Intel i7 930, 16GB ram, Radeon HD 5770 1Gb,Ver. 14.12 Win7 64 bit
Intel i7 7700 HQ, 16 GB ram Nvidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB dual drives 1 TB SSD + 1 TB HDD Win 10

PDtoots
jerrys
[Post New]
Quote: Hi Jerry,

Deleting from your computer is a tricky one, you need to identify HP Media Smart DVD, Media Smart Video, both of these use CyberLink products, also you can leave LabelPrint alone, you can then delete everything else.
I have done it, with some trepidation, but no damage done

Robert

As the day wore on, I got less and less brave. There were words like "microphone" and the like which scared me off. Jerry Schwartz
jerrys
[Post New]
I just updated to the 1129b patch, and this problem has not been fixed. Jerry Schwartz
jerrys
[Post New]
Okay, now I'm running 1424c and the problem as originally described still exists. Jerry Schwartz
garioch7
Senior Contributor Location: Port Hood, Nova Scotia, Canada Joined: Feb 07, 2011 06:45 Messages: 852 Offline
[Post New]
Jerry: If you have a backup or a good restore point, I'd restore back to before you uninstalled the suite. Then use Revo Uninstaller Pro to do the uninstall. It is really quite thorough. Do make a restore point though before, and a system backup, just in case something goes south. I have had great success with Revo, particularly the Forced Uninstall option (last resort) for programs that are half in and half out and can't otherwise be completely removed.

Let us know how you make out and good luck.

Regards,
-Phil Windows 10 Pro x64
Dell XPS 8930
Intel CoreT i7 (4.6 GHz)
32 GB DDR4-2666 RAM
1 TB PCIe -x4 SSD
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060
PD14 Ultimate x64, 4207
CD4 Ultra and AD6 Ultra
Bleeping Computer Malware Response Instructor
jerrys
[Post New]
Quote: Jerry: If you have a backup or a good restore point, I'd restore back to before you uninstalled the suite.

Regards,
-Phil

I'm not sure which suite you want me to uninstall. Back when I first started working on this problem, I went through so many uninstall/re-install cycles that I got sick of the whole thing and gave up.

At the time, I got extensive advice from the SS people and they eventually decided that it had to be a PD problem. Dafydd knows about the problem.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 23. 2012 15:02

Jerry Schwartz
garioch7
Senior Contributor Location: Port Hood, Nova Scotia, Canada Joined: Feb 07, 2011 06:45 Messages: 852 Offline
[Post New]
Jerry: I was suggesting uninstalling the Cyberlink OEM suite that came with your computer, since you and the SS folks think that it may be causing the problem with SS continuously trying to reinstall itself. First I would uninstall your version of PD, then the suite. Then reinstall your version of PD and see if the problem still exists.

I would make a restore point and a full partition backup before the uninstalls with Revo, just so that you can be sure to be able to put everything back as it was, if the Revo uninstall does not succeed in resolving this problem.

There is obviously "something" with the configuration of your computer that is triggering SS to want to reinstall repeatedly. My own observation is that Cyberlink has had/has issues with the implementation of the SS program, right down to the fact that you are better off purchasing you SS music directly from SmartSound rather than through the PD interface, because it can take months or longer before your purchased tracks will show up in your SmartSound account online, which is useful if you have to download them again, as I did when I purchased a new computer and did clean installs of everything (migrated from an x32 to x64 system).

I will be very interested to find out if you do manage to solve this problem. It is baffling. Have a great day.

Regards,
-Phil Windows 10 Pro x64
Dell XPS 8930
Intel CoreT i7 (4.6 GHz)
32 GB DDR4-2666 RAM
1 TB PCIe -x4 SSD
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060
PD14 Ultimate x64, 4207
CD4 Ultra and AD6 Ultra
Bleeping Computer Malware Response Instructor
jerrys
[Post New]
I'm pretty sure there is nothing left of the OEM stuff that came loaded on the machine. I certainly uninstalled everything I could, but as you know there are so many bits and pieces of CyberLink software used by the system itself that I was a bit queasy about removing keys from the registry. Jerry Schwartz
stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
Is it really trying ot install or to update the availble music?

What happened when you used Revo Uninstaller (in the moderate mode) to uninstall Smart Sound?

Do you use SS? I have (from two different programs) it but I use my own music. .
BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
Anything I post unless stated with a reference is my personal opinion.
jerrys
[Post New]
Quote: Is it really trying ot install or to update the availble music?

What happened when you used Revo Uninstaller (in the moderate mode) to uninstall Smart Sound?

Do you use SS? I have (from two different programs) it but I use my own music.

It's hard to say exactly what it's trying to do. It runs Windows Installer several times, then it updates the music database, etc., etc.

I didn't use the Revo Uninstaller, I used other tools and did much of it by hand. When I have time to fiddle with this, perhaps I'll give the Revo tool a shot. Jerry Schwartz
jerrys
[Post New]
Well, I uninstalled everything and tried Revo Uninstaller, but it didn't seem to find anything. Perhaps I didn't use it properly, but I'm afraid this problem just isn't going to get resolved. Jerry Schwartz