Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Adverts
bertie11 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 02, 2011 07:16 Messages: 22 Offline
[Post New]
I have bought and paid for Power Director 9 64 bit Win 7 Home.

When I am 'producing' a file prior to burning a DVD I am getting continual advertising, exhorting me to buy PD9, which I already have!

How do I stop this rubbish? It is distracting and annoying. I might expect it in a trial version but not a fully paid version.

Is there ANY way to turn it off?
1Nina
Senior Contributor Location: Norway, 50km southwest of Oslo Joined: Oct 08, 2008 04:12 Messages: 1070 Offline
[Post New]
My inital comment would be: WHAT???

This is a new one!
No idea how to get rid of it, never had the "pleasure"....

I'll have to add, I guess; where did you buy this copy?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 28. 2011 17:37

Just something.
https://www.petitpoisvideo.com
Robert2 S
Senior Contributor Location: Australia Joined: Apr 22, 2009 05:57 Messages: 1461 Offline
[Post New]
This has been a problem for ages, just stupid in my opinion, I just ignore it.

If you really want to stop it, one way is to block PowerDirector accessing the net through your firewall, or if really desperate just turn off your internet connection when you produce your video....as I said I just ignore it. My youtube channel====> http://www.youtube.com/user/relate2?feature=mhsn
CubbyHouseFilms
Senior Contributor Location: Melbourne, Australia Joined: Jul 14, 2009 04:23 Messages: 2208 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Bertie

I had the same problem - drove me nuts!

My internet security software is McAfee.

It has a 'block/permission program list' function (as most do).

I have blocked PDR from accessing the internet.

And bingo - no more annoying ads of a product that you have already bought

Here's a link to a similar issue and a possible solution:

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/9264.page

Have a great day

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 28. 2011 22:09

Happing editing

Best Regards

Neil
CubbyHouseFilms

My Youtube Channel
My Vimeo Channel
PD3.5, 5, 6 & 7. Computer: Dell Dimension 5150, Intel Pen. 2.80 GHz, 2GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8600GT 256MB, Windows XP Pro!!
PD8 Ultra v3022. Computer: Dell Studio 1747, Intel, i7 Q740 1.73 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 560v 1GB, Windows 7 Ult. 64
PD10 Ultra v2023. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD12 Ultra v2930. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD13 Ultim v3516. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD16 Live v2101 Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 16GB RAM, ATI Mob.Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
Director Suite 6: PowerDirector 16 Live, PhotoDirector 9, ColorDirector 6, AudioDirector 8

Cameras: Sony(s) HXR-NX5P, HXR-NX70P, NEX-VG10E, a6300 4k, HDR TG5E, GoPro 4 Black, Canon 6D DSLR

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
- PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!

James Dotson
Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
[Post New]
For the life of me I still cannot understand why this bothers so many people. Just ignore it. __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM
Bubba in TX
Senior Contributor Location: Central Texas Joined: Dec 12, 2009 21:32 Messages: 1332 Offline
[Post New]
What else is there to look at while it is rendering or producing?? I usually just go back to the movie I am watching on TV.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 29. 2011 01:01

CyberLink PowerDirector 10 Tutorials
PDtoots PowerDirector Tutorials

**NOTICE**
When you are asked to provide a DXDIAG you go the following link and do part "B". Your posted specs are NOT what we are looking for as they tell us nothing. The specs on the box of your computer mean nothing. The DXDIAG shows us how your computer is configured as it runs.

DXDIAG Link
bertie11 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for all the replies. Surely Cyberlink could play users videos or even tutorials if they thought we needed to be entertained while waiting for rendering to finish, rather than trying to sell us what we have already bought?

Anyway, I tried the Host file fix, that didn't work. I then told Norton to block PD9 and that failed also.

I guess I will just have to turn my laptop round so I can't see the screen!
Bubba in TX
Senior Contributor Location: Central Texas Joined: Dec 12, 2009 21:32 Messages: 1332 Offline
[Post New]

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 31. 2011 10:46

CyberLink PowerDirector 10 Tutorials
PDtoots PowerDirector Tutorials

**NOTICE**
When you are asked to provide a DXDIAG you go the following link and do part "B". Your posted specs are NOT what we are looking for as they tell us nothing. The specs on the box of your computer mean nothing. The DXDIAG shows us how your computer is configured as it runs.

DXDIAG Link
bertie11 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I'm confused now! Others are saying that they have blocked this content and now they no longer get the ads. But you are saying they are built into PD9 and don't arrive via the internet. I notice also that the ads show in Preferences and Burning as well as Producing.

Sorry, but I'm lost!

In any case, I think it is wrong for Cyberlink to do this. I don't see even Microsoft doing the same when someone is working on a spreadsheet whatever.

I can ignore this stuff if I have to but I'm annoyed that it is there at all.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jul 29. 2011 12:57

1Nina
Senior Contributor Location: Norway, 50km southwest of Oslo Joined: Oct 08, 2008 04:12 Messages: 1070 Offline
[Post New]
Hi guys,

just out of curiosity, is this something that's delivered with newer builds?

I can't remember if I ever had adverts in PD6,7 or 8. Seem to remember in a haze
something about Christmas offer/sales. If this memory is the fact, then I guess it
would come via internet connection. (Not Christmas all the time)

BUT, so far- I do not see any advert anywhere in PD9.
And frankly, I appreciate that.

Nina

Just something.
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Nina -

Do you mean that you don't get screens like this in Produce, Preferences & About?

... and no little pop-ups in the bottom right corner suggesting you upgrade to PD9 when you already have???

Others have mentioned different ways around it (including ignoring it & walking away). To me, it's just "tacky". If my car's dashboard lit up with pop-ups urging me to buy stuff, I'd pull out some wires!

Cheers - Tony
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Cranston
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Aug 17, 2007 02:26 Messages: 1667 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: (get soda, make sandwich, pee,)
Hopefully in the correct order.

But yes, I get those ads, just as Tony has displayed above. And what’s more, I notice that most every time I click on Start in the Produce module, the Producing process starts as the scrubber moves slightly, and then the Producing pauses momentarily, while the pop-up advertising windows loads. And then the Producing resumes.
So besides these ads just being annoying and unnecessary in a purchased and registered copy of PD9, it is indeed having an effect on, and causing a disruption (albeit a quite minor one), in my ability to complete my projects.

The point is, I do not wish to have “anything” else running in the background when I’m editing or Producing. And one shouldn’t have to hack a program to stop CL from exercising some sort of remote control over my PD once I’ve paid for it. They have my email address, and can send me all the ads and correspondence they want. But please, when I’m working, stop popping up in my PD9 just to say Hi. It’s unnecessary and unwelcome.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 29. 2011 23:48

Click here PDtoots for a collection of PowerDirector Tutorials and Tips
1Nina
[Post New]

Interesting.....why don't I get that?

I have gone trough Norton, can't find anything out of "the order", but also- I can't see CL anywhere,
neither in stuff that's allowed nor not allowed.
I have taken no action myself to prevent or allow CL to "infiltrate".

Odd?

Nina

Just something.
bertie11 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I took this up with Cyberlink and this is their response:

"I understand your concern related with CyberLink PowerDirector 9 Ultra and you want to stop the advertisements.

In regards to your issue, I regret to inform you that these advertisements cannot be removed as the software is designed in the same way."

Presumably, 'built-in' .

So how come some people are able to stop the ads?

I did wonder that installing the purchased copy of PD9 over the trial version may have led to this problem, but short of removing everything and doing a clean install I'm at a loss. I did also discover that there was an update to version 2930, which I installed. I wonder if all the ads come from that, or they were in my puchased copy to start with. I can't remember what that build number was.

I would not have purchased had I known ads would be splattered over everything I did with PD9!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 30. 2011 02:47

vn800rider
Senior Contributor Location: Darwen, UK Joined: May 15, 2008 04:32 Messages: 1949 Online
[Post New]
I regret to inform you that these advertisements cannot be removed

Not strictly true, I think - I'm just testing as to how to stop them, without blocking internet access, so far it's worked but a couple more things to check. Unfortunately got to go out for a few hours so.......

Cheers
Adrian Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. (see below)
Confucius
AMD Phenom IIX6 1055T, win10, 5 internal drives, 7 usb drives, struggling power supply.
PatC [Avatar]
Senior Member Location: Suffolk UK Joined: Nov 17, 2009 14:00 Messages: 156 Offline
[Post New]
Hi.

The adverts do come from an Internet connection as they are always current.

Using ZoneAlarm Free Firewall..........
All PowerDiretor advertising can be stopped by altering settings in ZoneAlarm Program Control.

I am sure all other FireWalls have similar controls.

If you have the Director Zone active and or use PD9 to upload to YouTube etc. then you
will have to give PD9 internet access, so then you may get the adverts as well.....

Are they really that annoying ???
I WISH this was the worst fault in PowerDirector, it would be marvellous ..... If Only...

Pat
bertie11 [Avatar]
[Post New]
OK. More testing.

Remove LAN cable - no internet. Ads stopped.

Went into Norton IS. found four PDR references. Blocked all of them. No ads.

Turned back on one at a time - found that PDR9.exe is the one that stopped the ads!

I needed to close PDR each time and restart it for the changes in Norton to be seen.

Someone here had already suggested this but I must have turned off the wrong PDR (I also have PDR 7 in my x86 folder). So yes, it can be done and Cyberlink are somewhat economical with the truth?

ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Adrian -

Is this the thing you're testing? http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/9264.page#39862

Possibly not because those changes would, in effect, block PD from internet access... would they not?

Cheers - Tony
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
bertie11 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I did try that change (Hosts file), but that didn't stop the ads.

Blocking PDR9 in Norton has stopped the ads but I assume I

won't get automatic updates. That's OK. I can check

manually anyway, which is what I did to get the update to 2930.

At least I'm not irritated by these pop-ups any more!

1Nina
[Post New]
Bertie,- and others

you have NIS and so do I.
I checked if PDR9.exe has access; it has- and has always had.
Still, I have had NO ads.

(I do not have auto login to dir.zone on startup, and I don't upload to YT via PD)

You all seem to have ads, I don't. ??

Just something.