Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Menu Designer, understanding Scenes
JohnVIII [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 20, 2011 19:44 Messages: 19 Offline
[Post New]
Elementary, I'm sure, but I do not understand the use of "Scenes" in Menu Designer. Title, Chapters, Subtitles if wanted, but "Scenes"?

They have inserted themselves, unasked and unwanted, into my menu structure, dividing my chapters into threes. The best I can tell is they are for what I would call different titles on the same disc, which would be odd naming, so that seems questionable. And somehow I have run into a three Chapter per scene/title limit, which I didn't think existed. At any rate, I'm sure don't need them ("Scenes" or any sub-headings at all) in my menu structure. What are they for? How can I get rid of them?

I read Robert's excellent "Notes" (http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/4767.page) which I believe was addressed to version 7, and it mentions "My Videos, Play, and Chapters" appearing in the stock template. That would be good.

In 9 I see NO "Chapters," but I do see "Scenes." Right now my ten Chapters are divided in to four "Scenes" (they're all called "My Videos," but I guess that's just the default title for "Scenes"). So I have "My Videos" (the title, which I'll rename) at the root of the structure, then a sub-heading called "My Videos," which I take to be a Scene, containing three Chapters, then another sub-heading of "My Videos" with another three Chapters, then a third the same, and a forth "Scene" with my tenth Chapter in it. My Chapters do not need to be split up. What are the Sub-Headings or "Scenes" doing there and how do I remove them?

Many thanks for your patience.
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
For DVD's the maximum number of buttons is 6 per scene/page. For BluRay it is 4.

[Thumb - sduk2010-pd600a.png]
 Filename
sduk2010-pd600a.png
[Disk]
 Description
Menu Designer - add a button
 Filesize
243 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
146 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 15. 2011 05:16

JohnVIII [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks - not the answer I wanted, but sure saves a lot of angst trying to do what isn't allowed. An unexpected limitation.

The commercial DVDs and BluRays I'm very accustomed to viewing have apparently unlimited number of chapters and all on the title page, or on one page that is one "Chapters" click away from the title page, and I've never run into the "Scenes" concept. Am I right to view "Scenes" as additional "pages" that are required for more (i.e., more than 4 for BluRay) chapter buttons??

After I name and save the template, I should be able to change the names of the "Scenes"/Pages after clicking "author"?

Thanks again
James1
Senior Contributor Location: Surrey, B.C., Canada Joined: Jun 10, 2010 16:20 Messages: 1783 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
I had a similar question in a previous thread ( I believe it is similar). Here is the link to that question.
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/18043.page#92523
Hope it is of help and related.
Jim Intel i7-2600@3.4Gz Geforce 560ti-1GB Graphic accelerator, windows 7 Premium 12GB memory

Visit GranPapa64's channel for your YouTube experience of the day!
JohnVIII [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks - I've looked into that link and the links supplied there and beyond, and the confusion deepens. Multiple Titles in one menu structure? No mention of "Scenes."

And don't think I have a problem with chapters and titles, just the "scenes" interjected between. Two levels, top and chapters, seems plenty.

I am now just viewing "scenes" as pages required to have more chapters. Evidently there is an unexpectedly low limit on buttons per page. At least that's where I am now. Not that I like it. My total frame of reference is commercial videos. One title page with one chapters or scenes (interchangeable terms in this use) button to link to the chapters page, with umpteen chapters/scenes there.
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I am now just viewing "scenes" as pages required to have more chapters.

Scenes and titles are interchangable, chapters and chapter pages are different. For instance, I could load two totally different PD pds projects unto my final menu layout. These two projects are two titles/scenes, both have there own set of defined chapters within the project. One might have 4 chapters, the other may have 6 chapters defined.

I will get a title/scene page that will display my two titles/scenes for me to pick from, if I select one of the titles/scenes, I will be at the chapter page for that title/scene. Now since I have selected my title/scene, I can select different chapters within it. If I have more than 6 chapters defined for that particular title/scene, I will get a second chapter page with up to 6 more chapters, on and on.

The maximum amount of buttons on a page for either titles/scenes or chapters are 6, once that is reached an new page is created with up to another 6 buttons.

Edit:
have a look at this link and pic if you missed it amongst the others, http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/7497.page#30399
Jeff

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 15. 2011 18:04

JohnVIII [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks - things are clearing up. I understand from Robert that the limit per page for BluRay is four. That's where I was thrown.

In effect, PD divided my ten chapters into four different Titles (=Scenes), not because there was design logic to it or I had accidentally done it, but because of the four button limit. In this case, I should just view the additional "Titles/Scenes" as pages and rename them as such. "Chapters, Page One," etc.

Please let me know if that doesn't seem correct.

I did see the link you provided. I haven't run into just that issue yet.