Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
POWER DIRECTOR 10 - What Would Make You Buy It?
Tomas G77
Member Location: Ayrshire Joined: Jun 13, 2008 08:54 Messages: 100 Offline
[Post New]
( I would buy IF IT DONE WHAT IT SAYS,i.e. worked )
but its just what should have been an upgrade to PD9,
brought out with most of the bugs still working,
even with ther resent update, just does not work the way it should

shame on Cyberlink for such a mess they have made of this PD9 and PD10 roll on PD11 they may get it right by then,

Sorry for ranting on but I have so many clients whom have bought this and now have problems and I'am left to sort there
P.C.Systems out as it screws some of them up, especially the update version which will not update on some systems,

now the helpdesk is asking my clients to reformat there systems
so buyers beware of this program PD10 upgrade,
BUY THE FULL PROGRAM it seems to load properly
thats all I have to say on the matter
Cheers Tomthumb Thomas G
I'm a 33yr old trapped in a 69yr old body
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
I've been using this software since version 5, and I NEVER have install issues, and it runs just fine, albeit with an occasional hiccup. I'm no expert either, it just works.
My beefs are usually missing features, or features that crash it.
I also thought PD9 was superb, finally, at the last patch.
HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
NicolasNY
Senior Contributor Location: Caracas Joined: Sep 28, 2008 17:49 Messages: 805 Offline
[Post New]
In addition to the be this, the biggest topic of the history of PD, I see that it is just another "what I wish for the next PD (this time PD11) as ever. Dont you think?

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Nov 01. 2011 18:02

Radio Snivins [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Terra Australis Joined: Oct 13, 2011 18:38 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
Quote:
Quote: How about the ability to SKEW pips to give the impression of perspective?
My other NLE can do it with ease.

It's a severely limited function, but you can do it by applying the 'Swing' effect and then adjusting the perspective direction and angle. Chroma key the background out and voila, you're cookin' with camembert.

I retract my foolishness, and beg your forgiveness. Skewing is easy-peazy. You do it with the little blue rectangles.
Thomas [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 19, 2011 15:58 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
Do not buy PD 10 - real crap!! It is totally unstable with HD videos.
MartinH74 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: UK Joined: Mar 22, 2010 10:59 Messages: 9 Offline
[Post New]
Well - that last comment worries me - I have nothing but trouble with the instability of 9, and 8 before it....
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
Do not base your impressions on a single NEWBIE post from Thomas, who just joined to vent, rather than find a solution.
PD10 is an excellent program. I suggest the TRIAL, and if you have issues, read the member threads at the top of the PD10 forum, and provide the information asked for.
The Dxdiag file from PART B is a good place to start.
Remember, most forums are for problem-solving, so you'll tend to see folks who are having problems.
THOMAS, if you are disgruntled, try to help yourself by starting a thread, post your Dxdiag, and then we'll see where the "cra*" is coming from. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
MartinH74 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Well, hang on - just becuase he (and I!) are newbies doesn't mean his comments are unfounded! I don't use forums myself (too busy working) - so tend to read the responses and viewpoints of others. I tend to find that teh PD forum has a lot of what I describe as "Fanboys" - and dissenters often get shouted down! I have had awful experiences with PD8 and especially 9 - but feel a bit tied into the software after a big investment of my time in learning it....but I am reaching the end of my tether with continous crashes etc....which is why I just started a seperate thread about it....I REALLY need convincing that PD10 won't be as bad an experience!
BarryTheCrab
[Post New]
Newbie is not meant to be derogatory, we're all Newbs at some time at some thing some where.
Fanboy? Me? Not always. Note my avatar.
But...posting the DXdiag is a great start, and an uber-powerful computer might not always be the perfect editing platform.
I even had issues because the battery in my mouse was failing. Post that DX, and maybe we can see if there is a flaw in your system. Even other installed NLE's can run interference. I was hoping your post here would have the Dx attached.
As for PD9x64, I found it ran quite good for short projects on my little DM1, if it crashed, well, my DM1 is a bit underpowered so I dealt with it. This ain't word processing. Video editing will bring a computer to it's knees.
Part B please.
Actually, maybe start a new thread, just for you.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Dec 20. 2011 07:10

HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Thomas [Avatar]
[Post New]
Barry the crab,

If u know so much about PD 10, u would certainly also know that u cant save AVCHD from the trail!! It is disabled - so get ur facts straight mr know it all! I have saved 13 copies of the same video and they ALL have different problems. I am constantly in contact with support and they cant sort the problem out.

Buy it and talk then!
MartinH74 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Does PD10 not support AVCHD? I thought it would - PD9 does - I use it AVCHD all the time as I shoot mountain biking videos on 2 cameras - one of which only has an AVCHD option. However, figuring out how to do it took me a while!

You have to tell PD to import the WHOLE folder, not just individual files. Then they show up in the timeline as seperate clips to edit...does that make sense?
Thomas [Avatar]
[Post New]
Martin,

No it does support AVCHD. As soon as u save the finished product into any of the 1920 x 1080 options under AVCHD, the problems start. Thirteen different saved copies later (under different options) the finished video stalls in different places. Especially at the beginning of a new clip and with transitions. Every copy has its own unique problem.
If u save it as a normal Mpeg4, its perfect.
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
There are quite a few misleading statements flying around this thread.

1. The forum is not neatly divided into fanboys and disgruntled users. We each waver between the two. It does happen that forums are largely about discussing issues/problems, rather than sharing the good news. I'm (on the whole) happy with PD10, and haven't experienced any major problems with it, but there are some aspects of it that I find sadly wanting!

2. I agree that nobody should be "shouted down", but it's true that people who've used the software more are likely to have a better understanding of how it works when it's used correctly.

3. PD10 supports AVCHD. I use it daily. There are limitations in the trial version which apply to H.264 encoding. I'm in no way defending a marketing policy that applies restrictions like that. CyberLink is rethinking this. All files can be imported individually, in groups, or as whole folders.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Thank you Tony for straightening out the incorrect AVCHD comments here.

11 pages. Time to call a halt and direct any and all to ask on the PD10 forum about PD10.

Forum Moderator