Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
POWER DIRECTOR 10 - What Would Make You Buy It?
MAN HON WILLIAM [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 05, 2011 23:01 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Improve the photos quality in 1080p output, it's not smooth and not clear in PD9

Improve the reverse function, it always having problem.

auto decrease the volume of background music when the movie have human voice

thanks
jerrys
Senior Contributor Location: New Britain, CT, USA (between New York and Boston) Joined: Feb 10, 2010 21:36 Messages: 1038 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Well, that explains why in prior versions of PD the application would "hang" or "go into suspended mode" or "loop forever" or present a "failure in . . . " without any useful message to the user. It also confirms that the developers were never interested in user feedback and simply counted on luck to allow the application to stumble along. This new approach sounds welcoming but remains to be verified by users on this forum. One small step for mankind . . .

<rant>
Cut them a break.

I've done a lot of program debugging over the (many) years since I got into this game. It could be tricky even back when computers only ran programs that worked linearly (in at the top, out at the bottom), but think of all of the pieces a developer of something like PD has to deal with:

• As with any other Windows program, you have to deal with a zillion possible events that could come from the user, the OS, or the hardware at any time in any order.
  • You have to deal with any bugs that might be in the compiler, plus any third-party libraries that you might have licensed.
  • You have to deal with video drivers from a host of chipset makers, any of which could have (do have) their own bugs. If you look at the bug fixes for any video driver, you'll see the most obsure combinations: this game with that option, things like that.
  • There's the entire OS, with its particular oddities, to cope with.
  • Finally, there's my personal favorite: bugs in the debugger.

• Before you criticize the programmers, try making a list of everything that has to be tested; and I don't mean things like "produce a video." I mean things like "key down", "mouse move right", "key press" and "mouse left button click" simultaneously, and so forth -- at any possible moment, in any possible window.

Post your results when you're done.
    </rant>

As for user feedback, look at how hard it is for us to exchange enough information to help each other and how often we aren't able to replicate one another's results. I'm sure the developers have been getting feedback; I'm sure they've been drowning in it. This error-reporting feature will make the feedback more useful.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 06. 2011 20:12

Jerry Schwartz
    rbowser [Avatar]
    Contributor Joined: Aug 08, 2011 16:48 Messages: 515 Offline
    [Post New]
    --The ability to import 24 and 32 bit audio. It's primitive to have only 16 bit available.

--Markers in the time line for temporarily marking target points.

--Ability to temporarily over-ride the default action when shortening a clip by dragging left - such as use CTRL in combination with the drag, so that no other clips move.

--Have a wider range of speed available when speeding up or slowing down a clip.

--Space bar for Play in all windows.

--"W" keybinding for re-winding to the start of a project, as in all audio software, and some other video programs.

--Direction arrows for incremental moves.

--A "Quality" slider to give greater flexibility to the settings during a burn. Inch it up until the Accurate gauge shows when you've reached the limit of disc capacity.

--Keyframe automation available on titles.

--Play MOVIE as the default instead of the illogically chosen CLIP.

--Have a project open at the spot where you left it, like most programs.

--When using Zoom or Crop tools, still have the full original size of a clip available instead of actually gone, as it is currently. It makes full automation moves around a photo or clip limited.

Those are off the top of my head without the program open. I feel I could add to the list.

RB
    HalCon
    Senior Contributor Location: Charlottetown, PEI Joined: Mar 01, 2008 10:36 Messages: 719 Offline
    [Post New]
    Well said Jerry,

There is nothing I could add to that.

I have been using Power Director for many years now and for the most part I have had very good performance. I have been able to accomplish most of what I desired.

People often forget that technology is advancing at a faster rate than most of us can keep up with. This is true for the programmers also. As soon as they come up with a correction for todays technology, someone has a new technology to throw into the mix.

One feature that I would like to see is a function to print a list of the media used in the project.

Hal OS - Win11 Pro, Alienware R13, CPU - Intel Core I7-12700KF 12 CPUs), 16g DDR5 4400 RAM, Video - Geeforce RTX 3080ti 12g, PD11 & PD365
    My YouTube
    jerrys
    Senior Contributor Location: New Britain, CT, USA (between New York and Boston) Joined: Feb 10, 2010 21:36 Messages: 1038 Offline
    [Post New]
    Quote: One feature that I would like to see is a function to print a list of the media used in the project.

Print

You dinosaur. Jerry Schwartz
    rbowser [Avatar]
    [Post New]
    Quote:
    Quote: One feature that I would like to see is a function to print a list of the media used in the project.

Print

You dinosaur.

hehe--well, but a lot of us routinely "print" to PDF files or XPS files--not exactly the stuff dinosaurs knew about.

RB
    BarryTheCrab
    Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
    [Post New]
    Didn't dino's leave prints everywhere? PDF, print dinosaur feet. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
    Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
    Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
    Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
    https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
    HalCon
    Senior Contributor Location: Charlottetown, PEI Joined: Mar 01, 2008 10:36 Messages: 719 Offline
    [Post New]
    Barry, RB, Jerry,

Yes, print. I do custom sports videos and use media from many different events and years to complete the project. If I have to recreate/redo a project due to unforeseen circumstances, I feel it would be good to know what media was used in the project. I have on occasion lost a hard drive without warning. If I lose the drive with the .pds files I am lost.

Whether I actually "print the list" is of no consequence. I can print to a file or I can print to hard copy. This dinasaur just thinks it would be easier to make a list of media without resoting to using ink/lead to make said list.

As for being a dinasaur, that may be, but this dinasaur at least can keep his modern equipment/software working with very few problems.

Hal OS - Win11 Pro, Alienware R13, CPU - Intel Core I7-12700KF 12 CPUs), 16g DDR5 4400 RAM, Video - Geeforce RTX 3080ti 12g, PD11 & PD365
    My YouTube
    fuzzyphil [Avatar]
    Newbie Joined: Sep 10, 2010 16:38 Messages: 2 Offline
    [Post New]
    Any chance of putting a jog / shuttle wheel into the interface to ease the frame by frame editing please.
    rbowser [Avatar]
    [Post New]
    Quote: Barry, RB, Jerry,

Yes, print...l

Right on, I get you, Hal - That's why I pointed out that "printing" now often means electronic printing to PDF or XPS files - neither format being something dinosaurs use!

RB
    jerrys
    [Post New]
    Quote:
    Quote:

Print

You dinosaur.

hehe--well, but a lot of us routinely "print" to PDF files or XPS files--not exactly the stuff dinosaurs knew about.

RB

I know that cemeteries like to keep their records on paper. Their reasoning is that technologies come and go, but there will always be "equipment" that can read paper.

They have to take the long view.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 07. 2011 18:00

Jerry Schwartz
    rbowser [Avatar]
    [Post New]
    Quote:
    Quote:
    Quote:

Print

You dinosaur.

RB

I know that cemeteries like to keep their records on paper. Their reasoning is that technologies come and go, but there will always be "equipment" that can read paper.

They have to take the long view.

Ah! Cemeteries---Sorry, thought we were talking about PD.

RB
    jerrys
    [Post New]
    Quote: Ah! Cemeteries---Sorry, thought we were talking about PD.

RB

I used PD to turn my wife's Flip videos into a "travelog" through a local cemetery. It was part of a series called "Travels with Mommy" that we send to the kids who don't live near us. We were on a tour of the place.

Now for a feature request:

I used some flame and steam particle effects for the crematorium scenes. I was using PD8, and I had trouble extending the effects as the camera panned. It's a little hard for me to explain what I mean, so bear with me.

Imagine that there is a long pipe, longer than the frame. The camera starts at one end of the pipe and pans across its length. The effect is as though the pipe were moving into the frame on the right and out the left. At the start of the clip, you see only the left end of the pipe; at the end of the clip, you see only the right end of the pipe; and in the middle of the clip the pipe extends from one side of the frame to the other.

Now, imagine that the pipe is emitting steam. As it enters the frame, you can add a particle effect to add the steam. You can move the particle effect along with the pipe, so that they seem to be moving together. So far, so good.

Now, as the pipe continues to move (actually, the camera is panning but the appearance is the same) you need to somehow extend the steam effect so that it doesn't march across and out of the frame. You can't just hold it still, because then only one spot on the pipe would have the steam. What you need to do currently is add another track and put another copy of the steam effect there, offset a bit so that it is associated with the next bit of pipe.

You have to keep doing that over and over again, and it is a pain to get everything lined up and moving together.

I'm not sure exactly how this would be accomplished, but it would be nice if you could handle this with something like a combination of a motion path and replication. Does that make any sense?

Perhaps I'm just missing some trick that already exists. Jerry Schwartz
    Vapian
    Newbie Location: Rock Hill, SC Joined: Aug 15, 2011 17:29 Messages: 38 Offline
    [Post New]
    - Ability to enable Kerning or Auto-Kerning for fonts in Title Designer
    anywhereanytime [Avatar]
    Newbie Location: Silicon Valley, CA Joined: Oct 10, 2011 13:42 Messages: 13 Offline
    [Post New]
    We are a convert from other editing programs and really need some "basic" TITLE effects like Zoom IN/Zoom Out and motion path? PD9 has everything else ... even better third party plug-ins?
    Radio Snivins [Avatar]
    Newbie Location: Terra Australis Joined: Oct 13, 2011 18:38 Messages: 3 Offline
    [Post New]
    Quote: How about the ability to SKEW pips to give the impression of perspective?
    My other NLE can do it with ease.

It's a severely limited function, but you can do it by applying the 'Swing' effect and then adjusting the perspective direction and angle. Chroma key the background out and voila, you're cookin' with camembert.
    rbowser [Avatar]
    [Post New]
    I wonder how many wish items on this list came true with the release of PD10? Maybe some of them actually happened?

RB
    Radio Snivins [Avatar]
    Newbie Location: Terra Australis Joined: Oct 13, 2011 18:38 Messages: 3 Offline
    [Post New]
    Quote: I wonder how many wish items on this list came true with the release of PD10? Maybe some of them actually happened?

RB

Yes. A tedious function is one thing, but no function is something else. Anyhoot, no need to speculate, download the trial version and find out.
    AllenChicago [Avatar]
    Senior Member Location: Chicago (USA) Joined: Jan 28, 2010 22:06 Messages: 151 Offline
    [Post New]
    Quote: Since Cyberlink seems to come out with a new version of Power Director near the end of each year, there is a good chance that we'll see "Power Director 10" in a few months?

If so, what new features, fixes, or interface enhancements would make you upgrade to PD10 immediately, or within a few months of its release? Maybe Cyberlink Power Director development team members visit this forum and would appreciate the input.

-Allen

I had no idea when I started this thread with the above question that everyone was so passionate about their desired PD10 features. Since my projects are simple, all I want is faster burning of DVD's with clearer output and "Burning Error" messages with a better explanation of the cause of the error. In short an improved DVD burning module.

Now that PD10 has arrived, I'll be monitoring that forum to see what feedback is posted regarding DVD rendering/burning. If it's improved, I'll upgrade to PD10.

-Allen
    Mikey7 [Avatar]
    Newbie Joined: Nov 01, 2011 11:53 Messages: 1 Offline
    [Post New]
    I would like to see editable transitions (at least reversible, so they can be used at the beginning or ending of a clip ex. - the circular iris transition would 'open' if placed at the beginning of a clip, and would 'close' at the end of a clip. Currently, it works well at the beginning of a clip, but produces an expanding black circle at the end of a clip).
    Also, a title or function that actually animates "handwriting". If anyone has ever used an old Amiga program called Karafonts Animfonts, you'll know what I mean. It looks like the title is being handwritten, letter for letter, on the screen.
    Tomas G77
    Member Location: Ayrshire Joined: Jun 13, 2008 08:54 Messages: 100 Offline
    [Post New]
    ( I would buy IF IT DONE WHAT IT SAYS,i.e. worked )
    but its just what should have been an upgrade to PD9,
    brought out with most of the bugs still working,
    even with ther resent update, just does not work the way it should

shame on Cyberlink for such a mess they have made of this PD9 and PD10 roll on PD11 they may get it right by then,

Sorry for ranting on but I have so many clients whom have bought this and now have problems and I'am left to sort there
    P.C.Systems out as it screws some of them up, especially the update version which will not update on some systems,

now the helpdesk is asking my clients to reformat there systems
    so buyers beware of this program PD10 upgrade,
    BUY THE FULL PROGRAM it seems to load properly
    thats all I have to say on the matter
    Cheers Tomthumb Thomas G
    I'm a 33yr old trapped in a 69yr old body