Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PD Keeps Crashing When Not at Home with WIFI
Timrg001 [Avatar]
Member Joined: Apr 21, 2023 03:43 Messages: 53 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Very intriguing that new projects give a faster performance. Also interesting to learn that after a safe reboot the old project does not open en the new project runs faster.
What immediately pops in mind is that you may be using OneDrive? This is de Windows method for making all your documents and user files available in the cloud from any computer, because all these files are on a Microsoft cloud drive somewhere. If you have saved your video files and recordings in your standard user folder AND OneDrive is on, then there you have a reason form PD to need the internet.
Well, your files are also being kept locally (depending on settings) but these files need to be synchronized…. And I can also imagine that a 60 mins video file, of which parts are used on the project (that is through pointers to the original file), then there may be a lot of disk interactions. With a safe reboot OneDrive is likely not started. If the project is only in the cloud (also depends on your settings) and not on your hard drive, then that IS a reason for not opening...
Unless there is a Onedrive in play, PD should in principle not have too much difficulties with the editing you describe. (See questions below)
With the installation of Windows OneDrive is automatically installed and available, at least when you sign on with your MS account (although local accounts are possible, it has become harder to install windows with them). If not killed immediately, it will (to me experience) be much harder to get rid of the standard user documents, video, pictures etc. folders on …. the web.
If you recognize and have this situation, then the easy way out is to move all your (video) files to a real local folder, away from the OneDrive. Also with opening and saving files (including project files) you have to remember NOT to use OneDrive. To uninstall OneDrive would be an option too. It will be a hassle to remove all references to it. But it is worth it while if you are not a travelling video editor using pub PC's.
But if this is not your situation then there are still some questions, like
= What happens when you create a new project (which runs faster), save it, reboot and open it again, does it still run faster, or does it go as slow as the other older projects?
- What kind of video recording do you have? Is it a film taken with a camera, or with a screen recorder, of which kind of format specifications do these files have. If high quality, what are the settings in preferences w.r.t making shadow copies. And have you a lot of shadow copies, and would it be time to delete some (or all). And are they in the cloud (OneDrive) too?

It looks like we have a tendency for very long conversations. Sorry for that..

Long conversations are good so........

Hi Warry,

Thanks for your reply.

That is a good shout!! I do use OneDrive and I get my main video recording (I use an Iphone) onto my laptop by sharing it via OneDrive. Once it is on my laptop, I download it and move it to the default video folder that Windows gives to you. I say move it but I copy and paste it. The original video shows up in the relevant year/month, which is situated in Pictures. I then copy and paste it into the video folder. Pictures definitely syncs with OneDrive.

I don’t think that the video folder syncs with OneDrive but I will check this. However, all the video clips/images that I create/copy, via snipping tool, or even produce on PD (not the finished projects) are stored in a specific folder within the pictures folder that I deliberately created on one drive to allow access from different locations. These are always syncing with OneDrive. I know because they appear on OneDrive on my iPhone.

Maybe a different approach would be worth trying then. I don’t want to delete OneDrive but can certainly clean things up and check where things are being saved.

I will try a new project in the coming weeks and save it alternatively to see what happens on reboot etc.
The video recording comes from my iPhone – 25fps (pal) and is set to HD. I use windows snipping tool to capture images and video clips for my projects.

Shadow file settings on PD are 720 x 480. I don’t know how I could ascertain how many I have? I have just counted the amount in my current project’s media window as being 10 (with the little green icon.)

Thanks once again for the reply,

Tim

PS I have now taken screen shots (attached) of what the resource monitor was doing when I opened PD into the current project (of pain). It jumped around a little =, whilst I did it but I think I got most of the activity. This does not much to me unfortunately
[Thumb - resource monitor 2.png]
 Filename
resource monitor 2.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
282 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
2 time(s)
[Thumb - Resource monitor 1.png]
 Filename
Resource monitor 1.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
307 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
1 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 05. 2023 11:14

Timrg001 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Very intriguing that new projects give a faster performance. Also interesting to learn that after a safe reboot the old project does not open en the new project runs faster.
What immediately pops in mind is that you may be using OneDrive? This is de Windows method for making all your documents and user files available in the cloud from any computer, because all these files are on a Microsoft cloud drive somewhere. If you have saved your video files and recordings in your standard user folder AND OneDrive is on, then there you have a reason form PD to need the internet.
Well, your files are also being kept locally (depending on settings) but these files need to be synchronized…. And I can also imagine that a 60 mins video file, of which parts are used on the project (that is through pointers to the original file), then there may be a lot of disk interactions. With a safe reboot OneDrive is likely not started. If the project is only in the cloud (also depends on your settings) and not on your hard drive, then that IS a reason for not opening...
Unless there is a Onedrive in play, PD should in principle not have too much difficulties with the editing you describe. (See questions below)
With the installation of Windows OneDrive is automatically installed and available, at least when you sign on with your MS account (although local accounts are possible, it has become harder to install windows with them). If not killed immediately, it will (to me experience) be much harder to get rid of the standard user documents, video, pictures etc. folders on …. the web.
If you recognize and have this situation, then the easy way out is to move all your (video) files to a real local folder, away from the OneDrive. Also with opening and saving files (including project files) you have to remember NOT to use OneDrive. To uninstall OneDrive would be an option too. It will be a hassle to remove all references to it. But it is worth it while if you are not a travelling video editor using pub PC's.
= What happens when you create a new project (which runs faster), save it, reboot and open it again, does it still run faster, or does it go as slow as the other older projects?
- What kind of video recording do you have? Is it a film taken with a camera, or with a screen recorder, of which kind of format specifications do these files have. If high quality, what are the settings in preferences w.r.t making shadow copies. And have you a lot of shadow copies, and would it be time to delete some (or all). And are they in the cloud (OneDrive) too?

Good evening,

I wanted to post this message as a brief update to the OneDrive scenario that is discussed earlier.

Since this was suggested as a potential problem, I did some digging around and note that various folders that PD (not me) has created are within my documents that sit on OneDrive - Colour director, custom menus, cyberlink cloud, cyberlink drive, power director and screen recorder and the main heading folders with various subs therein.

Also, all my shadow files were saving to a folder in onedrive (shadow files now turned off in any case as I don't see anything adverse by not having these). I cleared the media cache in preferences - there were over a hudred files in there (many shadow files but not all). The majority of these had paths linked back to OneDrive.

I have started a new project which seems a little less laggy in general. However, today, when out and about, I opened up my laptop to try and load it (using 5g tethering to my phone). It all loaded up but as soon as I tried to even play the video on the timeline, it went for about 1-2 seconds before the white mist descended over the screen and PD froze and I shut it down. I tried this 4-5 times - same result. I then turned off my personal hotspot and, hey presto, the project loaded straight away and was quite responsive (although not as good as when at home). When I got home, I reverted back to my home WIFI and it ran as it had been doing recently - less laggy and more responsive.

I wrote to CL last week to ask about internet reuirements. they told me that I do not need a connection, save to the 30 day subscription communication, and then provided a list of things for me to try that I have already, mostly, tried. I have written back to CL again today to ask them further questions about how OneDrive may/may not affect performance, explaining that some of my CL files are saved there through CL. I will update this post with any new information.

Tim

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 09. 2023 14:12

Timrg001 [Avatar]
[Post New]

Good afternoon,

I was wondering if anyone can assist with this ongoing problem (see previous messages above).

In short, PD is very laggy, non responsive and fresuantly crashes, especially when not on home WIFI. whilst no at home there is really little point in me even opening the laptop to do any video editing as functions will have 5 second delays and invariably then crash.

I have tried without any connection at all. I thought that this was the answer but the symptoms became idential once more??

PD functions faster when I first open it but quickly starts to slow down - 5-10 minutes in - usually when I start going into the sub apps like title director (very slow) or Pip designer etc.

I have delved into all the crash reports on my laptop today and attach one of two from today, which are both generally synonomous with the various others listed in the history.

Would someone be able to take a look at this and advise whether there are system changes I can make or offer another remedy to the problem? I appreciate I am asking a lot on here but I am just not getting anywhere with CL support.

I have attached one of two crash reports for today (12/06), a history report to give you the overall flavour and also an up to date DX Diag.

Many thanks for your help once again,

Tim
 Filename
Crash Report.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
997 bytes
 Downloaded:
57 time(s)
[Thumb - History.jpg]
 Filename
History.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
475 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
3 time(s)
 Filename
DxDiag 12.06.2023.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
117 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
59 time(s)
Warry [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: The Netherlands Joined: Oct 13, 2014 11:42 Messages: 853 Offline
[Post New]
We were waiting for a further update.
It seems that in the meanwhile you have not gained any progress. I trust that you have all actions that have been given as advice.
It would be faster if one could sit behind your key board and have a look at what is happening under the hood.
The network is still an issue I assume? And you have tried everything without the OneDrive?
We are fairly sure that PD will run without an internet connection, so that should no be the problem and if it is, then there is something wrong with the installation, or with your settings or usage (like the OneDrive).

• Irrespective whether you have a 21 or a 365 version, you are using an older version, PD21 seems to be at version 2902, and 365 is at version 21.5.3001.0. So in all cases I would recommend updating to the latest version, however…
If internet may still be an issue I would:
Try to (temporarily) disable OneDrive first (internet will show how, it may require a restart). You can always reinstate it if you need it.
  • I would then make a backup of all your work and your customized templates (can be found, and should be saved from: c:\%user%\documents\cyberlink\powerdirector\21 …
  • I would save everything in that folder but also in the folders of previous versions (if available) somewhere, so that you still have it after the re-installation/upgrade
  • I would also check the video files and other material you are using in PD, and move it away, at least away from any network disk, like OneDrive. Then I would uninstall PD21, (including the user/personal information).
  • Just to besure: look for the program files folder in program files\cyberlink\powerdirector. I think that is save to delete the PowerDirector folder all together (if in doubt: make a backup copy somewhere before you delete the folder).
  • In the crash reports, which do not show everything interesting, I see that windows update is mentioned. Does that mean that a driver failed to update. Worth it while to check that and repair it if necessary.
  • I also see that the report is until 30 may, there is nothing to report for after that date?
  • It may also be interesting to see what else is running; maybe check the startup apps (via the task manager) and disable all that you think can be disabled (e.g. if OneDrive is in that list, I would disable it and restart the laptop).
  • I would also uninstall the application manager, and download the most recent version first and install that.
  • Then, check again whether OneDrive is not operational, even with a reboot if need be.
  • After all that you can with the fresh application manager install the latest version of PD21.
  • After installation I would check whether it operates well now, before moving back any of the saved custom templates etc.
Again, it would be much easier to sit behind the keyboard. And with the computer/PowerDirector installation because for many users it works fine (although there are many complaints and PD is not really the most perfectly tested application, but then again, there are so many user-setups to deal with).
Let us know how far you came.
But also let Cyberlink know that you have problems. I can imagine that support is busy and if they don’t get any reaction on their suggestions, (and they claim not to check this forum) they think that they have solved everything..
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Too me it appears odd to have so many aspects of PD's file areas, from shadow files to source content on a Network drive (OneDrive), and then complain about slowness when on a Network phone hotspot. If you had a desktop with permanent highspeed network access, you might pull it off, but I'd say success with a WiFi laptop and spotty phone network service, highly unlikely a good user experience.

If I had such a laptop, my plan would probably be along the following:
1) I'd make a full backup of your current system on remote physical drive so you can recover if need be.
2) Not sure what you have downloaded for additional PD365 functionality or custom creations, so handle that accordingly
3) Remove PD365 and CAM
4) Remove OneDrive app and folder
5) If PD is your only CL product, I'd use a reg cleaner in a limited role and remove all CL/PD stuff. Removal of PD365 and/or CAM does not remove reg entries and many remain.
6) Your AMD and Nvidia GPU drivers appear out of sync with Lenovo offerings, https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/yoga-series/yoga-slim-7-prox-14arh7/82tl/downloads . I'd remove and then do a clean install update of both drivers to be consistent with Lenovo offerings. Since a laptop and GPU needs for PD are rather unstable, I'd only use the QA'd offerings by Lenovo vs direct from AMD or Nvidia. PD will only use the Nvidia RTX 3050 for encoding (when selected), all other GUI aspects and timeline are AMD GPU processed
7) Reboot as need be and for sure prior to PD install
8) I'd download the current CAM and install PD.
9) I'd use import and export areas of your drive that will never have OneDrive sync, if you are an avid OneDrive user, I’d probably only sync a single area totally separate from PD import or export content.
10) I'd check your crash stability with PD with no network
11) I'd check your crash stability with PD with a network

Jeff
Timrg001 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Too me it appears odd to have so many aspects of PD's file areas, from shadow files to source content on a Network drive (OneDrive), and then complain about slowness when on a Network phone hotspot. If you had a desktop with permanent highspeed network access, you might pull it off, but I'd say success with a WiFi laptop and spotty phone network service, highly unlikely a good user experience.

If I had such a laptop, my plan would probably be along the following:
1) I'd make a full backup of your current system on remote physical drive so you can recover if need be.
2) Not sure what you have downloaded for additional PD365 functionality or custom creations, so handle that accordingly
3) Remove PD365 and CAM
4) Remove OneDrive app and folder
5) If PD is your only CL product, I'd use a reg cleaner in a limited role and remove all CL/PD stuff. Removal of PD365 and/or CAM does not remove reg entries and many remain.
6) Your AMD and Nvidia GPU drivers appear out of sync with Lenovo offerings, https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/yoga-series/yoga-slim-7-prox-14arh7/82tl/downloads . I'd remove and then do a clean install update of both drivers to be consistent with Lenovo offerings. Since a laptop and GPU needs for PD are rather unstable, I'd only use the QA'd offerings by Lenovo vs direct from AMD or Nvidia. PD will only use the Nvidia RTX 3050 for encoding (when selected), all other GUI aspects and timeline are AMD GPU processed
7) Reboot as need be and for sure prior to PD install
8) I'd download the current CAM and install PD.
9) I'd use import and export areas of your drive that will never have OneDrive sync, if you are an avid OneDrive user, I’d probably only sync a single area totally separate from PD import or export content.
10) I'd check your crash stability with PD with no network
11) I'd check your crash stability with PD with a network

Jeff

Many thanks for you both getting back to me and assisting. I have a lot to do with this then.

Please could you confirm what CAM means (or is this an acronym)?

I am in the middle of a project so will painstakingly try to finish this and then work through your suggestions.

Thanks once again,

Tim
Warry [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: The Netherlands Joined: Oct 13, 2014 11:42 Messages: 853 Offline
[Post New]

Many thanks for you both getting back to me and assisting. I have a lot to do with this then.

Please could you confirm what CAM means (or is this an acronym)?

I am in the middle of a project so will painstakingly try to finish this and then work through your suggestions.

Thanks once again,

Tim

the reactions from both Jeff and I were failrly similar. CAM Cyberlink Application Manager is mentioned😊
Timrg001 [Avatar]
[Post New]

the reactions from both Jeff and I were failrly similar. CAM Cyberlink Application Manager is mentioned😊

Thank you.
Timrg001 [Avatar]
[Post New]

Update:

My best efforts to remove Onedrive from my laptop have not yet been succesful. I have tried unlinking the app and I have also uninstalled the app but when I save anything new on my desktop, for instance, the file path says that desktop comes under onedrive.

Similarly even though onedrive is apparently unlinked, when I save title templates on PD, they save in a one drive folder. However Windows would have you believe that Onedrive is not there (until you follow the file paths).

Having gone through the trouble shooting list provided above, performance is still slouchy, projects get slower as I add to them and there are more crashes if not at home on WIFI, albeit, as far as i can see, primarily within titles, although I have not gone through every single aspect of performance with other designers and add ons yet.

I note that Titles save in onedrive whether I like it or not but other material such as particles, save on the computer. I have 2 questions following on the theme in general:

1. Is there a way of permanently deleting onedrive (windows suggests that this comes as standard with windows 365 (which I have) and all you can do is unlink it. It still seems to be where desktop, for instance, is held.
  2. Is there a way of forcing material I create (such as titles) to the folder I choose?

PS: - Having deleted all titles from file explorer earlier on, I have just tried creating another file tmplate on PD and the results are in the screen shot I attached timed 1328 - even if I delete the folder and remove titles, PD recreates these folders for storage in onedrive.

I am thinking of factory resetting my laptop but I wonder if when I then log back into windows 365 that onedrive will be in play once more??

Thanks once again for reading,

Tim

Update 1500 hrs - having played about with creating templates and just introducing PiP FX etc to the timeline it appears that anything just donwloaded and introduced to the timeline saves on the computer, whereas anything saved as a template - Title, PiP object, colour board are examples) saves to the onedrive folder?
[Thumb - Screenshot 2023-06-28 132907.png]
 Filename
Screenshot 2023-06-28 132907.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
243 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
4 time(s)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jun 28. 2023 10:00

JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Based on your pic, it looks like you've configured OneDrive to back up folder "Documents". So I think the actions you're seeing are as you configured. CL puts settings and content for many of their products in C:\Users\UserName\Documents\CyberLink\ so for you these will appear as C:\Users\timrg\OneDrive\Documents\CyberLink\ and are constantly sync'd.

Such settings probably inconsequential when using a good wireless or wired connection, I'd think such settings would be extremely detrimental on a phone hotspot or a degraded network connection of any form. As such, I don't think a factory reset will be a long term solution if you configure your OS backup to OneDrive the same.

Jeff
Warry [Avatar]
[Post New]
I agree with Jeff.

I have 2 suggestions:

- Ask CL support to hand you (and us) a method to change the (default) PD folders so that you can assign a local folder rather than a OneDrive. Maybe they can add this as an option to the preferences so that we all can set these folders to our needs.

-There is an option to unlink folders from syncing with OneDrive. E.g. see here: https://www.thewindowsclub.com/how-to-remove-a-folder-from-onedrive?expand_article=1 or https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/choose-which-onedrive-folders-to-sync-to-your-computer-98b8b011-8b94-419b-aa95-a14ff2415e85
You unlink all Cyberlink folders (I would suggest), and see what happens.

I don’t know whether this will really help you with your connection and performance problems, but when OneDrive leaves the folders alone, it should. Worth it while to test it. Please let us know.
Timrg001 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote I agree with Jeff.

I have 2 suggestions:

- Ask CL support to hand you (and us) a method to change the (default) PD folders so that you can assign a local folder rather than a OneDrive. Maybe they can add this as an option to the preferences so that we all can set these folders to our needs.

-There is an option to unlink folders from syncing with OneDrive. E.g. see here: https://www.thewindowsclub.com/how-to-remove-a-folder-from-onedrive?expand_article=1 or https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/choose-which-onedrive-folders-to-sync-to-your-computer-98b8b011-8b94-419b-aa95-a14ff2415e85
You unlink all Cyberlink folders (I would suggest), and see what happens.

I don’t know whether this will really help you with your connection and performance problems, but when OneDrive leaves the folders alone, it should. Worth it while to test it. Please let us know.

Thanks Jeff / Warry for your suggestions,

I will this again and get in touch with CL support.

also, I contacted Microsoft Help earlier and they have provided the following advice to follow if you don't want OneDrive. Therefore, I might add the app once more and remove it by following the process they advise.

This is what they wrote:

Thank you for contacting OneDrive support.

We apologize for the inconvenience. We will try our best to help you with your concern.

We understand that you want to remove OneDrive from your computer. If that is the case, then please follow the below steps:

Turn off Files On-Demand-
Make sure you’re signed into OneDrive on your device.
Select the white OneDrive cloud icon in the Windows taskbar notification area.
Note: You might need to select the Show hidden icons arrow next to the notification area to see the OneDrive icon.
Select Settings icon > Settings.
Under Sync and backup tab scroll down and click on Advanced settings.
Under Files On-Demand, select Download all files now.
Note: Once you turn off Files on Demand, it will download all your data to your PC, so make sure you have sufficient space on your computer device.
Reference article: https://support.microsoft.com/office/save-disk-space-with-onedrive-files-on-demand-for-windows-10-0e6860d3-d9f3-4971-b321-7092438fb38e

Stop Manage backup-
Click on OneDrive cloud icon >Settings icon > Settings > Sync and backup > Manage backup.
To stop backing up a folder, toggle/disable button next to the folders. To confirm that you want to stop backup in the Are you sure you want to stop folder backup dialog, select Stop backup.
Note: If you stop backing up your important folders on your PC (Desktop, Documents, and Pictures folders) in OneDrive, then it creates a shortcut called "Where are my files" on your Desktop, Documents, and Pictures location. Any new files you added to these folders on your PC won't be backed up by OneDrive.
Reference article: https://support.microsoft.com/office/back-up-your-documents-pictures-and-desktop-folders-with-onedrive-d61a7930-a6fb-4b95-b28a-6552e77c3057

Unlink OneDrive-
Select the white OneDrive cloud icon in the taskbar or menu bar.
On the Account tab, click Unlink this PC and then Unlink account.
Reference article: https://support.microsoft.com/office/turn-off-disable-or-uninstall-onedrive-f32a17ce-3336-40fe-9c38-6efb09f944b0

Uninstall OneDrive-
Click on the Start button (Microsoft Windows icon).
Type Programs in the search box, and then select Add or remove programs in the list of results.
Under Apps & features, find and select Microsoft OneDrive, and then select Uninstall. If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
Reference article: https://support.office.com/article/turn-off-disable-or-uninstall-onedrive-f32a17ce-3336-40fe-9c38-6efb09f944b0

Please do let us know in case if you see any confusion in following the above instructions.

Thanks once again,

Tim
Timrg001 [Avatar]
[Post New]

Thanks Jeff / Warry for your suggestions,

I will this again and get in touch with CL support.

also, I contacted Microsoft Help earlier and they have provided the following advice to follow if you don't want OneDrive. Therefore, I might add the app once more and remove it by following the process they advise.

This is what they wrote:

Thank you for contacting OneDrive support.

We apologize for the inconvenience. We will try our best to help you with your concern.

We understand that you want to remove OneDrive from your computer. If that is the case, then please follow the below steps:

Turn off Files On-Demand-
Make sure you’re signed into OneDrive on your device.
Select the white OneDrive cloud icon in the Windows taskbar notification area.
Note: You might need to select the Show hidden icons arrow next to the notification area to see the OneDrive icon.
Under Sync and backup tab scroll down and click on Advanced settings.
Under Files On-Demand, select Download all files now.
Note: Once you turn off Files on Demand, it will download all your data to your PC, so make sure you have sufficient space on your computer device.
Reference article: https://support.microsoft.com/office/save-disk-space-with-onedrive-files-on-demand-for-windows-10-0e6860d3-d9f3-4971-b321-7092438fb38e

Stop Manage backup-
Click on OneDrive cloud icon >Settings icon > Settings > Sync and backup > Manage backup.
To stop backing up a folder, toggle/disable button next to the folders. To confirm that you want to stop backup in the Are you sure you want to stop folder backup dialog, select Stop backup.
Note: If you stop backing up your important folders on your PC (Desktop, Documents, and Pictures folders) in OneDrive, then it creates a shortcut called "Where are my files" on your Desktop, Documents, and Pictures location. Any new files you added to these folders on your PC won't be backed up by OneDrive.
Reference article: https://support.microsoft.com/office/back-up-your-documents-pictures-and-desktop-folders-with-onedrive-d61a7930-a6fb-4b95-b28a-6552e77c3057

Unlink OneDrive-
Select the white OneDrive cloud icon in the taskbar or menu bar.
On the Account tab, click Unlink this PC and then Unlink account.
Reference article: https://support.microsoft.com/office/turn-off-disable-or-uninstall-onedrive-f32a17ce-3336-40fe-9c38-6efb09f944b0

Uninstall OneDrive-
Click on the Start button (Microsoft Windows icon).
Type Programs in the search box, and then select Add or remove programs in the list of results.
Under Apps & features, find and select Microsoft OneDrive, and then select Uninstall. If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
Reference article: https://support.office.com/article/turn-off-disable-or-uninstall-onedrive-f32a17ce-3336-40fe-9c38-6efb09f944b0

Please do let us know in case if you see any confusion in following the above instructions.

Thanks once again,

Tim

I have just added another screenshot also, which tends to suggest that PD wants an internet connection. I get this message when I turn off wifi or 5g and run PD without a connection?? Just FYI.

Tim
[Thumb - Screenshot 2023-06-28 184155.png]
 Filename
Screenshot 2023-06-28 184155.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
789 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
2 time(s)
Warry [Avatar]
[Post New]
Ok. So, I understand the MIcrosoft tells you that you can remove OneDrive (unlinking folder etc.) and still will be able to use Office 365. Let us know how that works.
We would still have the support from CL too, to help us getting a bit more flexible without OneDrive. It is well possible that after all these instructions PD still points to a OneDrive folder. (Be it unlinked and Onedrive removed.)

I hope that it will help you getting some performance from PD.
JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
Can you supply a pic of your current backup settings, simply inactivating "Documents", and/or "Pictures" and and/or "Desktop" should take care of it depending on your use.

Jeff
Timrg001 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Can you supply a pic of your current backup settings, simply inactivating "Documents", and/or "Pictures" and and/or "Desktop" should take care of it depending on your use.

Jeff

I removed Onedrive completely yesterday. That is what is puzzling me re PD saving to OD folders. Is there a way I can still show back up settings? If so, please could you signpost me.

Thanks

Tim
Warry [Avatar]
[Post New]
I have been there, after new installation of windows. Could only change PD from saving to Onedrive, after I had completely removed OneDrive and re-installed PD, that is with uninstall PD with removal of users information (other wise it keeps the save folders too), this means however that it is a good thing to make a backup of all your PD folders (likely the Onedrive ones) so that you can restore any custom titles etc. Once PD is up and running again.
The re install might also do something about the network connection message, which puzzles me a bit, you don't have the cyberlink cloud storage switched on have you? It is good to go through all the preference settings to see what folders and connections you may have. A picture of some of them, like a Jeff suggests may help us helping you.
good luck.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 28. 2023 14:10

JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote I removed Onedrive completely yesterday. That is what is puzzling me re PD saving to OD folders. Is there a way I can still show back up settings? If so, please could you signpost me.

Thanks

Tim

A OS setting, just type backup in the search bar.

Jeff
Timrg001 [Avatar]
[Post New]

A OS setting, just type backup in the search bar.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff,

I have attached a screenshot,

Tim

I have also raised a support ticket with CL. I have asked for specific advise around onedrive and how to force a location for file storage away from OD.
[Thumb - Back Up Screeenshot.png]
 Filename
Back Up Screeenshot.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
130 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
2 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 28. 2023 14:27

JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Thanks Jeff,

I have attached a screenshot,

Tim

I have also raised a support ticket with CL. I have asked for specific advise around onedrive and how to force a location for file storage away from OD.

I'm not sure what you want them to tell you, maybe they will have something, but as mentioned prior, they currently use C:\Users\UserName\Documents\CyberLink\ and you elected to have "Documents" folder an active OneDrive sync folder so it will be C:\Users\timrg\OneDrive\Documents\CyberLink\ and files are constantly sync'd for you unless you disable and/or pause when not on a robust network.

A basic overview of OneDrive for backup is here:
https://pureinfotech.com/backup-files-onedrive-windows-11/

Jeff
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
The OP previous DxDiag.txt indicates that Win 11 home is installed. Win 10 required me to create new documents folders without the onedrive and set them for use. My Win 11 installation last year allows me to bypass adding the onedrive for backup. It was optional. I have an 8 TB external drive for that backup. MS office default is to save in your onedrive account in the cloud. Adding that onedrive for the documents folder was never necessary at all. You use Save As.. to save it to a location on the local drives if desired.

The purpose of having onedrive in the documents folder is so that users don’t lose their documents if the pc went bad or got stolen. You have to pay monthly fees for large amount of data to be stored.