Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Scooby,

1. Just create a folder or directory called VST and copy the .dll into it. (I have all my VSTs in one location on my C: drive usually located in the Programs folder. But you can place yours anywhere. Sometimes programs created their own VST Directories so do a search and see if their are any already on your C: drive. You can then copy the .dll into those directories if you want to keep things in one place so it's easier to remember where everything is.)

2. After this, open Audio Director, go to File and select "Import VST Plugin Effects"

3. Now point it to where your newly created VST folder is and AD should auto import it for use.

4. Go back to Ad and look at the left hand side of the page and you will see a new option called VST.

5. Import your sound file and use that VST to edit it.

Also check out these free VST plugins so you can experiment with them: http://earmonk.com/free-reverb-vst-plugins/

Here is the full list I just found while searching for VSTs and sound files: http://earmonk.com/blog/

Rob
Download the trial version of Audio Director and test it out.

It can be called up and launched from inside Power Director by clicking on your clip in the timeline and then clicking on the above Tab marked "Edit Audio."

Once you are finished editing the sound in AD then click back to PD to continue on your editing.
Are you using Power Director? All the things your describe can be done inside Power Director or any other video editing software.

Audio Director is for fine tuning, getting rid of unwanted sounds and so on. It offers more dedicated features for sound editing.
Quote: ynotfish... thank you for the reply. So, for the less technically minded among us, can you make SVRT a little clearer? (With some Google searching I've noticed there have been a fair number of questions on this subject before). Just trying to clear things up for newcomers, since this IS a selling point for the software... (fast rendering, faster than all other competitors).

SVRT speeds up video rendering but only under certain conditions/rules. >SNIP<

However, use any of them and sorry but SVRT goes out the window. Well, almost. There will be a few little green areas where the SVRT will kick in. Unfortunately in my case, where I like to extensively use these bells and whistles, there's not a single green area visible anywhere. >SNIP<

Here is an old link that should clear things up: http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/29236.page - especially with these two quotes by Jeff (JL_JL) which are:

"PD documentation: SVRT (Smart Video Rendering Technology) is a proprietary rendering technology from CyberLink that recognizes which portions of a movie clip were modified (and therefore require rendering during production), and which portions of a movie clip were not changed (and thus can be skipped over during the rendering process)."

"PD SVRT simply does not encode any footage when input and output formats are close enough, hence no GPU, integrated
or standalone is even utilized. It's essentially a direct read/write operation which for PD the GPU does not perform. "

In otherwords- not all your footage will be able to use SVRT. Only if you changed it somehow.
Interesting indeed ... I just checked mine: 13 .jpgs 1.8Mb

The .jpgs are the stock ones installed with PD after I deleted my personal ones.

Also keep an eye on the "C:\Users\YourName\AppData\Roaming\CyberLink\MediaCache" Folder it had a few personal project .jpg thumbnails this left over after I had cleared the cache inside in PD settings.
Curious, does this work when you disable the UAC completely?

One of the first things I do whenever I upgrade OS is to turn off the UAC - I personally find it pretty much useless since I already have other security measures in place. It has a tendency of interrupting and breaking things when I am testing and tweaking. (Of course people should be very cautious when doing this.)
Barry,

I agree, an SSD is one of the best upgrades you can get. It will help with the overall editing experience. A minimum 500 GB SSD would speed things up nicely and give you lots of space to work with. Save the final files to a regular mechanical HD backup and you are set.
Thanks Ron.

NewBlue and Pixelan plugins are my go to for Power Director and my other NLEs.

Just had a chance to play with the new Titler Pro 4 trial version. Here's a rough edit of something I threw together. The red X means it is not registered. That will go away once it is purchased. I am still deciding what version is best for me. I get discounts also since I have other NB plugins which is a good incentive that I would like to see other companies adopt. (A direct email to customer service for new users sometimes can also get you a discount or else wait for a sale like holiday, Black Friday, New Years and so on.)

Just a few observations so far:

1. This prgm is very feature rich and can become overwhelming for the beginner. Intermediate to advanced users will be able to figure it out pretty quickly- especially after watching a few of the intros & tutorials from NewBlue's website. Some really nice titles, effects, lower 3rds and so on can be created with this prgm.

2. The exported rendered movie save file is to .mov format only and the picture save file format is .png only

3. It can import vector .eps files (which is awesome and then you can turn it into a full blown 3D title.)

4. It can also import Photoshop .psd files, regular images and video files.

5. The stand alone version did not integrate into Power Director, but my other NLEs detected it and I was able to access it inside the NLE without running the standalone version in the background.

I did experience some pauses while using it. I saved my project, then restarted the prgm and was able to continue on. It is a trial version and a new prgm afterall so I was expecting this to happen. (So patches and updates to fix it when users like me break it are the norm when it comes to software.)

Overall I am pleased with it and will pick up a version later on.
In the past I have used the method that Shadowman mentions and also the ones in Tony's excellent video.

The way that works for me is to break up the text (as shown in the toot) instead of using one long continuous text file.

That way I can place the right script at the exact start / stop points in the timeline to match the speech in the video. To fine tune the speed I would use the "Duration" tab setting for each text clip; or else just drag the clip out longer to slow it down or shorten it to speed it up from the timeline. (But you already know this, just a heads up for others who are following along and run into this exact issue.)
What is the source file and format that you are editing? How was it captured?

Not sure if the following helps you, but just to highlight how this can happen:

I once encountered this maddening issue after I did a screen capture and edited the screen capture clips then produced it. Extra bits of the scene that I had cut out was still in the produced video. Just a few seconds that would throw off the produced video and make it look like a run on.

It turns out my screen capture settings needed to be set to 1 frame as opposed to the default 10 frames or whatever the default was.

Anyway it can be frustrating but keep at it.
Hey Tony - this ones for you ...

Rob
So just to clarify:

All your videos no matter what format are experiencing this issue in PD 12?
Alan,

re: the right click to Combine feature

When you split and change the length or position of a clip on the timeline you can no longer use the combine feature.
The clips you split have to be in the same order beside each other and have the original lengths.

In other words do not move or resize them otherwise combine will not work.

Rob
Micheal,

Color Matching / color correction / or some sort of auto color grading to match different scenes to each other would be a very welcome plugin.

I use your excellent FilmTouch 2.0 Pro and it does a really good job of individual scene color grading. However I, and others would like to color match one scene to the next.

thanks,

Rob
Barry and Neil - watch Playsounds video it explains it very well.

Playsound excellent video showing the problem being experienced ! Does this happen on all your vid. clips no matter what format they are?

Marina, I tried to reproduce the pixelated colors using different format clips such as .mt2s, mp4, mov, wmv, even a still png - but no luck getting the pixelation you both are experiencing. I did not have an mpeg2 video clip to experiment on.

It might be the specific mpeg2 video you are trying to brighten and / or your video card. What video card do you have?

Also what version of PD are you using? I am using the latest beta patch v2923 (there is an official patch out right now v2930 - but I have not installed that yet.)

If you or Playsound would like to attach a 5 - 10 second video clip of your trouble file for us to play with and see if we can reproduce the issue on our different computer hardware then that would help to narrow things down a bit.

Rob
Quote:

The 100% pie is based on the disk size selected for writing, as I think it should be. It's displaying how much your "Produced" file will occupy of the user defined write space capacity. How could the pie display a "Free" and "Used" space if scaled to whatever size edit you were producing? It is not size dependent on the video edit length, it's default size is base on the disk capacity.

So translation, you need a large produced video size in relation to the size of write space capacity. A 1 hr HD 1920x1080 24Mbps (~10GB) on a 4TB drive still will not show any piece of pie, 10/4000*360~1 degree and still won't be visible.

Bottom line, I think the pie animates and displays correctly except for the anomaly documented earlier.

Jeff

Which is exactly what I just realized above. Hence the past tense "I was thinking..."

I was thinking that the chart would animate and scale to whatever size edit we were producing. Not size dependent on the video edit length.

So translation- we need to have a larger video edit for the pie chart to at least indicate the other colors.

I just did a test with a longer 1hr edit and as indicated in the thread Jeff linked to.
Here are my observations and additions:

1. "N/A" still shows up when Fast video render tech. and SVRT is checked. (I am using the latest beta patch.)

2.) If Fastvideo rendering tech. and SVRT is not used and left unchecked then the chart animates properly.

3.) If Fastvideo rendering tech and my Intel Quicksync Video is checked then the chart also indicates and animates properly

Thanks for the input guys
Todd,

No need to change over everything to SSDs. Just your main C: drive with another partition on the SSD for the video edits. This will speed up your workflow, start up shutdown times and so on.

My setup partitions are as follows:

1TB SSD with a 275GB main C: partition that has my OS and all prgm installs. (175 GB has system/ prgm. installs. The other 100GB is left free for System Restore (this has saved me more times than I can count since I am perpetually tweaking and adding things to my system.) As well this allows the OS and my installed prgms. to utilize the 100GB as a cache. Just remember to turn off disk defrag / indexing and so on since SSDs don't need these features. (I highly recommend Samsung EVO SSDs and using the Samsung Magician SSD software to setup your SSD.)

The rest of the SSD has a D: partition with different directories for where I do my actual editing and working on my other creative files. I point the prgms to these directories to use them instead of saving edits on the main C: partition. I also have a smaller E: partition for misc. testing and tweaking kept separately from my more important C: and D: partitions.

Once done I offload to over of 11 terabytes of storage with a 3 redundancy backup. (3 copies of everything on removable mechanical HDs mostly 4TB Seagates.) For quicker manual or automated syncing I use a one click solution known as Allway Sync: http://allwaysync.com/index.html

Try it out and see if it fits your needs- the limitations for the free version is that it can't "process more than 40,000 files in any consecutive 30-days." I max that out that limitation in less than an hour so I bought the prgm which was very reasonable and the best sync prgm I have ever used. Incredibly powerful with lots of features for HDs, networks, ftp and so on - it can be a bit confusing to setup at first. I tried a lot of diff. syncing prgms and this was the best I have found.

Anyway- your needs may be different from mine so modify as you see fit.

Rob
Just curious- anyone ever see this pie chart actually animate when producing the final output?

Mine is always static. Not a big deal but I have never seen a purple pie section that indicates "Remaining" nor a white pie section that indicates "Produced"

Well- you are asking for the keys to the universe here. This won't be a short answer.

There is a price to performance ratio that I had to make a few months ago when I built a newer mini, cost effective video editing system to handle my NLE workflow. I use different animation, demanding creative type prgms in addition to PD. So whatever I built had to play nicely with all of them- quirks and all. See my sig for the two very different and non mainstream systems I have used for all my creative work. The Brix Pro is the one I use exclusively now. Here is a link to the test specs I did a while back: http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/32454.page

Now I am not saying these are the best systems for everyone- just the best for me and what I want to do at the moment.

I push all my equipment to their limits and eventually I will hit a wall with what I can do with it. But right now, no matter what I throw at the little machine, it is holding up very nicely.

Anyway- If I had to put together a newer system today I would skip the Haswell-E refresh and go straight to Broadwell with at least a 6 core CPU. An 8 Core would be better and of course it would be housed in an expandable case with a liquid cooled dual GPU. The AMD R9 295X Dual GPU liquid cooled card would be my top pick followed by the Nvidia 780 Ti. (The Titans are a bit too pricey for what you get and the Titan Z dual GPU card is twice as expensive as the AMD R9 295.)

As far as SLI and Crossfire goes- dual GPU has not from what I have seen from other users, been a benefit for PD. A dual GPU build would just be for the other prgms that I use- including of course games! The Nvidia G-Snyc monitor technology is something I was keeping an eye on since it takes the load off of the GPU card and the monitor does some of the work. However- at this point I am not convinced it would do much for video editing work and I am waiting for a really good 4k monitor to come out to replace my current ASUS calibrated ProArt monitor.

At the end of next year 2015-2016 I would like to build a Skylake system. DDR4 Ram, Intel E5 Xeon single or dual CPU workstation with one of the above GPUs or whatever newer cards are out. My end goal is full 4K and 8K video, 3D anim. render workstation.

The best single upgrade I did to speed up my systems, were to add SSDs as my main HD. I think everyone who video edits should do to this upgrade since they are now much cheaper and cost effective and the performance is well worth it.

To sum up- do not go chasing the rabbit down the hole. As I said PD has its quirks and a more expensive faster system won't, from what I have seen, give you the boost in performance that you would think it should. Price to performance should be your goal.

Rob
Go to: