Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Oddity - ExpressProjectCache
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
I was over in C:\Users\Tony\AppData\Roaming\CyberLink\PowerDirector\14.0 about to edit a profile and noticed a (populated) folder called ExpressProjectCache. I'd only ever opened the Express Project plug-in a couple of times to check it out...

The folder contained a pile of files - all with the suffix .pds.JPG - about 95% of them completely unrelated to anything I'd played with in Express Project. All the ones I checked are 1920x1080 but with small file sizes.

Some are from the Express Project templates but I have no idea why the others might be there...

I don't wish to sound rude, but what's in yours? and do you know why it's there?

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Cranston
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Aug 17, 2007 02:26 Messages: 1667 Offline
[Post New]
Hmm. That's interesting or… disconcerting.

In following your posted path, I found that I had an ExpressProjectCache folder filled with 736 (1920x1080) image files, at a total folder size of 71MB. I too would like to know why 736 files have been saved there, and if it's going to continue to grow, and why this is happening since I havent used express project.

________________________________________________________________________________

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 09. 2015 08:01

Click here PDtoots for a collection of PowerDirector Tutorials and Tips
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Note:
Open the ExpressProjectCache folder
Open PDR14
Drag the Sample video into Track 1
Select Ctrl+Shift+S (File/Save Project as)
Locate a placement (folder) for your newly saved project pds as 123.pds.
Observe the generation of the JPG, 123.pds.JPG in the ExpressProjectCache folder.
Go to Preferences and select Manually Delete temporary files.
Keep the ExpressProjectCache folder open.
Manually Delete all your temp files.
The content of the ExpressProjectCache is retained.
Go to where the saved pds is and delete it.
The content of the ExpressProjectCache is retained.
Opinion, this is an "issue" for CyberLink to address.
Dafydd

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Oct 09. 2015 04:43

1Nina
Senior Contributor Location: Norway, 50km southwest of Oslo Joined: Oct 08, 2008 04:12 Messages: 1070 Offline
[Post New]
I have actually used - and worked quite a bit with an Express project, and well - I have, as of today, only 3,4Mb in there, 21 files.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 09. 2015 05:24

Just something.
https://www.petitpoisvideo.com
RobAC [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Mar 09, 2013 18:20 Messages: 406 Offline
[Post New]
Interesting indeed ... I just checked mine: 13 .jpgs 1.8Mb

The .jpgs are the stock ones installed with PD after I deleted my personal ones.

Also keep an eye on the "C:\Users\YourName\AppData\Roaming\CyberLink\MediaCache" Folder it had a few personal project .jpg thumbnails this left over after I had cleared the cache inside in PD settings. PD 14 Ultimate Suite / Win10 Pro x64
1. Gigabyte Brix PRO / i7-4770R Intel Iris Pro 5200 / 16 GB / 1 TB SSD
2. Lenovo X230T / 8GB / Intel HD4000 + ViDock 4 Plus & ASUS Nvidia 660 Ti / Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIZw3GPwKMo&feature=youtu.be
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Opinion, this is an "issue" for CyberLink to address.

Dafydd - does that mean you have referred the issue to CL?

It's quite alarming when users who've not even touched Express Projects are having their cache folders populated, just as you described above.

Cheers - Tony
Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Mar 07, 2012 09:15 Messages: 1303 Offline
[Post New]
Ynotfish,

Those images are likely "samples" to be used or ignored as desired, as decorative images in your video production. I note one of them is an image of Australia but our Tasmanian friends would be a bit miffed at being cropped out of the image(ha-ha).

Cheers!

Neil.
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
Side note:
Cyberlink had promised they would occasionally add new templates to this function, but the template count is stuck at 25 and there have been to uploads by CL for some time. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
CS2014
Senior Contributor Location: USA-Eastern Time Zone Joined: Sep 16, 2014 16:44 Messages: 629 Offline
[Post New]
Is the ExpressProjectCache folder only in PD14? I'm looking tin PD13 and I do not see it listed.

CS PD13 Ultimate - Build 3516, WIN 8.1, 64 Bit, 16G RAM, Intel Core i5 4460, CPU @ 3.2GHz, NVIDIA GeForce GT720, Graphics Memory(total avail.)-4093MB
LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray Drive
ynotfish
[Post New]
As far as I can see, the unintentional population of this ExpressProjectCache folder is still an issue.

Since purging the folder back in October 2015, I have NOT used Express Project at all. It currently has 232 items - 36MB, mostly related to other projects I'd worked on (nothing to do with Express Projects).

Neil - only a few of those items are related to Express Project, like Action/Anniversary/RoundtheWorld etc. ending, middle & opening images. No - not anything you'd use in a project.

Barry - the has been one extra set of templates added to DZ that aren't currently in my PDR... "Fashion". Any good to you? laughing

CS - yes - it was only introduced in PDR14.

Cheers - Tony

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 20. 2016 21:04

BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
I'm not a well-known fashion icon, but I have all 25 templates installed, I am hoping to get a use for at least one of them. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT