Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PowerDVD 11 Workaround for Error Code 800401F9 / Access Storage drive - Workaround
VaNilla [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 08, 2013 07:36 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
I've tested this over the last couple of days and it works perfectly. The issue is that they have to go through rigorious QA in order to make sure it works on a variety of different setups. That's obvious to anyone with developer experience but they haven't communicated this very well to their customers. How hard would it be to send an email to people with PDVD11/Ultra keys telling them that they have a patch in the works?

It took me a long time to find this thread, and I'm pretty experienced. Your average consumer is not going to find it, and they probably wont bother with the support, they'll switch to another product instead. You don't want to lose customers on the basis of lacking communication.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Mar 09. 2013 07:17

S1lkyJ0hnson [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 02, 2012 11:07 Messages: 6 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: So I'm confused, are we supposed to be using the ftp version of the update that was posted earlier in this thread or are we to wait for each individual ticket to be answered.

I responded just like Cyber Mike asked and my ticket hasn't received a response in 4 days.

Is everyone having success with that ftp update link with their own activation key?

Yes, I have had success with the hotfix version. I had a full install key, and watched Hunger Games with no issues. I have opened a ticket with CyberLink, but they've only sent generic, cookie cutter responses. Without others on this forum posting the hotfix, I would still be SOL.

I will still cooperate with Cyber Link to get a permanent patch developed. I feel real bad for the rest of you. I, too, think the company could do a lot better with commmunicating to their loyal customers.
bwo [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Norway Joined: Mar 26, 2012 05:31 Messages: 13 Offline
[Post New]
I have the same issue. I just sent cyberlink a ticket.
Mine is an upgrade from 9. So I expect tickets going back and forth with automatic answers, taking many days for a resolve....

Can somebody please come up with a well working software out there. Or is a dedicated Blu-ray player the only answer?
weakset [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 06, 2013 11:46 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Can somebody please come up with a well working software out there. Or is a dedicated Blu-ray player the only answer?
There is few ways to get open source softwares to play main movies from bluray disc, but if you wan't menus and extras, proprietary software is the only option. I'm not comfortable to give your direct instructions or names since this is PowerDVD forum, but I'm sure you'll figure out good words to put on Google.

And there is of course hometheather hardware players, which are many times easier to deal with than PC stuff with ridiculous DRMs.
helpless user [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 06, 2013 07:05 Messages: 6 Offline
[Post New]
For everybody having this issue: open ticket and hope for quick response. The problem can be solved!

Customer service provided the same hotfix (only small change in the name and pw-protected download) as I allready found here in the forum, posted from fellow cutomers. It took the support more than 3 days just to figure out, that I need the same hotfixed version as everybody else with the same problem. My feedback for the support team on closing this issue was accordingly. Hopefully they realize, that they should answer quicker to customer problems, specially when the solution is allready there.

Albatross365 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 23, 2012 14:31 Messages: 17 Offline
[Post New]
Glad I managed to help some of you folks out.

Enjoy your Blu-rays again.

Hopefully they'll learn something from this debacle.

I remembered that I hadn't marked the ticket resolved so I did and then gave them both barrels in the comments section.
Mike2013cyb [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 03, 2013 22:17 Messages: 7 Offline
[Post New]
So the official statement from Cyberlink that started this thread explains that the playback error started "after February 20, 2013," but goes on to blame the problem on "the latest Windows update" from Microsoft. Unfortunately for Cyberlink, Microsoft posts a list of Windows updates and the dates on which they were released:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/894199

Clearly, there were no Windows updates released on February 20, 2013 or the day after, so the crippling of PowerDVD 11 did not coincide with the release of an unspecified Windows update. Many people, including myself, were able to watch blu-ray discs with PowerDVD 11 after installation of "the latest Windows updates" that were, in fact, released on February 12, 2013 (known commonly as Patch Tuesday). And, of course, many users have made it clear that Windows Update was disabled entirely on their PC, yet PowerDVD 11 was still broken somehow.

Would you care to revise your statement, Cyberlink?

What seems clear is that PowerDVD 11 downloaded an update pushed out from Cyberlink on or after February 20, which crippled it upon restarting PowerDVD and/or the PC. What remains unclear is why this happened, and why Cyberlink had a patch ready to go for PowerDVD 12 for the exact same error message on February 21, yet still does not have a patch for public download for PowerDVD 11. Do you see, Cyberlink, why your long-time customers are suspicious that you are trying to force them to buy an updated version of your software?

Please provide a reasonably detailed explanation, once and for all, that suggests that you respect the intelligence of your customers and that you wish to retain them. As of now, like many others who have posted comments here, I am a long-time Cyberlink customer who will look elsewhere in the future if I feel I can no longer trust you.

Thank you.
meatbag21 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 28, 2012 21:02 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Just rented 2 Blu-Ray movies and low and behold yet another problem with Cytberlink. I just submitted a trouble ticket and after seeing everyone's posts, looks like I'm in for a long wait for a response. Thankfully I found my cd key and sent screenshots. Hopefully the monkeys that they have working there can get this mess squared away! I am in agreement with those that have said that this is being done on purpose to get people to buy f'ing PowetDVD12! After the problems I've had with this company, I'm not wasting anymore of my money with their crap! Maybe we should all file a class-action lawsuit? Absolutely ridiculous that an expensive program like this and we customers get treated like shit! If it's a problem since 20 Feb, WHY ISN'T THIS ISSUE RESOLVED BY NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 10. 2013 00:26

MIKE [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 06, 2013 06:48 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
I too am having this same issue. Ticket submitted on March 6 with no response other than the automated one.

Where is this hotfix? I remember someone posted an FTP link but a lot of people said it didn't work for them. I have the full 11 Ultra version. This sucks.
MIKE [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thank you. I just did a whois lookup on gocyberlink.com to check that it was owned by Cyberlink.

It is, and I also noticed that they are both registered to some guy in Taiwan... So there ya go.

That hotfix worked for me, btw. So thank you! I can finally watch my Buster Keaton Bluray
bwo [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote:
Quote: Can somebody please come up with a well working software out there. Or is a dedicated Blu-ray player the only answer?
There is few ways to get open source softwares to play main movies from bluray disc, but if you wan't menus and extras, proprietary software is the only option. I'm not comfortable to give your direct instructions or names since this is PowerDVD forum, but I'm sure you'll figure out good words to put on Google.

And there is of course hometheather hardware players, which are many times easier to deal with than PC stuff with ridiculous DRMs.

I would like menus etc. PowerDVD is after all the least worse I've found. I didn't get the latest TMT to work and WinDVD doesn't seem to work with 3D properly and has some other issues.

It's too bad nothing really works well out there. None of the proprietary softwares are great.
ymo1965
Newbie Location: Peterborough, UK Joined: May 13, 2012 03:24 Messages: 29 Offline
[Post New]
Seems like my link to the hot-fix has been deleted. Cheers Cyberlink. Really aiming to be the hated company aren't we. This maybe the way you treat people in Taiwan, but not here in the civilized world. Stop wasting peoples time and help them FFS. We won't forget this. Next time there's a PDVD13 you can shove it where the sun don't shine lol

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 10. 2013 10:16

Jonathan [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 04, 2013 11:57 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
I'm glad I downloaded the hotfix when I did. It seems to work fine. Thank you for posting the link. Why cyberlink deemed not to give me that info is beyond me.

I don't believe it was a windows update. When I was testing various workarounds it didn't seem to matter whether the win7 platform update was installed or not. Seems likely that it has something to do with cyberlink's first patch for numero 12 which was on the 21st of February, exactly when all of this began. Possibly an update to their DRM which failed miserably????

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 10. 2013 10:40

bwo [Avatar]
[Post New]
There's basically only one good reason to use PowerDVD: There's isn't something better today.
I'm so sick of the custom service with automatic answers that asks you questions you already answered in the first place. You wonder if they read them at all.

I still have a problem with the audio settings changing when going from DVD to Blu-ray. It's set to PCM and I manually have to set it to HD Audio. Was never resolved with my ticket. Just the common replys with uninstalling and reinstalling. I tried to explain them that it happened when upgrading from 9 to 11 since it wasn't an issue in the 9, and asked if they could give me a clean installation of 11. Or give me 12 which doesn't have the problem. Got me nowhere. Cyberlink sucks big time.
ymo1965
Newbie Location: Peterborough, UK Joined: May 13, 2012 03:24 Messages: 29 Offline
[Post New]
People are learning fast and probably won't ever give this firm the time of day again. I certainly won't. Serves them right. They love your money, but if anything should go wrong, woah that's where it all grinds to a halt.
MIKE [Avatar]
[Post New]
It's funny they have the time to delete posts that fix this problem, yet it's been 4 days since I put in a support ticket with no response.
ymo1965
[Post New]
Yes exactly. Absolute insult to the paying public. Hope there sales plummet. Only trouble is, you'll probably see more and more '50% off sale' crap more than ever. I'm not gullible enough to buy such trash. Even at the so-called sale price it's about the same as I paid for the full version 11, and to me version 12 is practically pi$$ poor dlc lmao.
spivonious [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 09, 2011 18:48 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
I'm getting this issue too. Cyberlink is one step away from being dumped for TMT6. My support ticket is CS001242696.

Reasons I don't like Cyberlink:

#1 Cyberlink knows I own the software. I can look up my key in the Member Zone but doesn't provide links to download the software I own. I am forced to contact support when I need to reinstall the program.
#2 Somehow my upgrade key is different from a full version key, so I'm forced to install 9, enter my 9 key, install the 11 upgrade (which uninstalls 9) and enter my 11 key.
#3 Cyberlink obviously knows about the problem and appears to have a fix, but doesn't post a link to download it. My support ticket goes unanswered.
#4 Instead of a program to play Blu-ray discs, I get saddled with a load of image browsing, online video, mobile access software that I will NEVER use.
#5 The forced upgrade from 9 to 11 in order to update the Blu-ray decryption. I won't fall for that one again.
ymo1965
[Post New]
Yes, common story my friend. It's only us that are learning only now, there shady deals. It's the newcomers that buy totally unaware of what there letting themselves in for. All you can do is advise people to go for something else. They make you think an upgrade is a good deal, but in reality it's not. If a deal looks too good to be true, it probably is. I never buy software (even games) on day1. I read reviews, I check comments from users first. Why are they making it so damn hard for legit customers to get the service that there purchase is supposed to grant them? I'm not saying go pirate or anything, but I think this 'leave you in the dark' attitude really is sickening. Made worse by them deleting links to the ftp (posted by users to help others) that hosts a replacement fixed version of the software.

I'm sure this little escapade has done nothing but dent there reputation.

You live n' learn!
DancingShade [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 10, 2013 02:19 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Well from all this I learned TMT6 is a a pretty good alternative. Certainly less bloated and lacking in so called "features" like moovielive that never seem to go away even when you disabled them.

CS001241959 <- Filed a few days ago, not seriously expecting a reply any more.

Already uninstalled PowerDVD 11 (surprisingly difficult to purge from windows) and will be using products from other companies from here on.

If anyone does make the mistake of buying PowerDVD 12 they'll just find its actually a time locked piece of crippleware that's only usable until they make version 13.
ymo1965
[Post New]
Version 13?

if it gets that far and there's people gullible enough to get there credit card out!

Version 12 isn't exactly brimming over with must-have features. They are rapidly running out of
bloatware they can bolt on. Maybe social networking? ahhhh shut up, your giving them idea's lol