Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Constant Crashing with PD14 [SOLVED]
Steve2fit [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Oxford, MA Joined: Dec 09, 2015 05:13 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
I just loaded PD14 and every couple of minutes no matter what I am in the middle of, PD14 crashes. I could be saving, previewing, moving a clip...it doesn't matter, it will crash. It doesn't matter what the size of the project is. I had the same exact issues with PD13 so I had to go back to using PD12 which seems to be a lot more stable.

Searching for answers on this forum, I have tried the following with no success:

1. Ran sfc /scannow

2. Tried SAFE MODE, it does work but is so painfully slow that it was basically useless to me

3. Uninstalled and reinstalled

4. Uninstalled and then reinstalled on a different drive with tons more space than the original drive installed on.

I have attached the dxDiag file hoping that someone out there will see a red flag and help.

Regards,

Steve
 Filename
DxDiag.zip
[Disk]
 Description
DxDiag file
 Filesize
6 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
331 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 12. 2015 07:19

Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Your C drive is low on free space.

Drive: C: Free Space: 34.7 GB

PD is not too happy with so little free space on the C drive. Recommended is up to 100 GB free space on C.

Hard Disk Space 7GB required minimum (note: 400 MB is for Magic Music Library) 10 GB (20 GB recommended) for DVD production60 GB (100 GB recommended) for Blu-ray Disc/AVCHD production

The above is from http://www.cyberlink.com/products/powerdirector-ultra/spec_en_US.html

Your Sound driver is from 2012, you might think about updating from Realtek. Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

Steve2fit [Avatar]
[Post New]
One of things I tried was installing it on a 3 terabyte drive with more than 2 terabyte left and it still was crashing. I will update the realtek driver and see if this makes a difference.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 10. 2015 13:23

tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
I would think that PD14 uses more system resources than PD13 and more than PD12 so the pc runs hotter and crash more easily. There can be a possibility that there is a hardware issue here.
All vodi
Senior Contributor Location: Canada Joined: Aug 21, 2009 11:24 Messages: 1431 Offline
[Post New]
On Win 10 I've found little difference in resource allocation with either PD13 or PD14.

However, PD12 is different.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 10. 2015 15:07

Win 10, i7
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Another user is having very simliar problems, so take a look at the suggestions I gave him on this *thread* and see what happens when you try those steps. Your specific issue and outcome may be very different, so please post back on this thread and not over there.

Hopefully we'll get this figured out fairly quickly!

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
Steve2fit [Avatar]
[Post New]
Ok, so I have updated the realtek driver to the latest and there are still crashes. I have attached the latest dxdiag file for reference. (tomasc) I suppose it can be a hardware issue but I do have 16g of ram and 8-core processor running at 4.0 GHz and have ran the program right after a fresh reboot before executing any other program.

Optodata – I followed the thread that you recommended and this is what happened:

1. I added the images one at a time with no issues.

2. I then added transition between each image, extended the time of some of the images. No issues so far.

3. Added more of the same images on 3 additional time frames with transitions. No issues.

4. Resized images so that each time frame occupied one quadrant of the viewing area. So basically I had 4 images from 4 timeframes showing at once. No issues

5. Overall, each timeframe was about a 1 ½ minutes long. I ran this 5 times with no issues.

6. Then added the kite surfing video in one time frame, ran the project 3 time with no issues.

7. Added the same video in all of the time frames and after a couple of runs, the program crashed. It crashed again after a couple of more runs.

So that is where I stand now. I appreciate the ideas and help everyone is providing, keep the ideas coming!
 Filename
DxDiag.zip
[Disk]
 Description
Latest dxdiag file
 Filesize
6 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
273 time(s)
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Diagnostic, GPU driver: Driver Version: 10.18.13.5906

See: http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/46485.page#241131

Issue of crashing caused by (for some reason unknown at this time) GeForce Experience. The report/info I have is for you to roll back to an earlier driver until the issue is resolved or not install the GeForce part.

Dafydd

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 11. 2015 08:07

Steve2fit [Avatar]
[Post New]
Well, I just finished 2 hours of intense video editing and I had not one crash! I did exactly what Dafydd suggested, uninstalled Geforce Experience and everything is working fine now.

I thank all of you for all of your support!
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Glad to hear it! Could you please edit the subject of your first post on this thread and add the word SOLVED so that other people will know what worked for you?

Happy editing

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 13. 2015 13:41

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
Charles [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 13, 2015 13:13 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Here is a ME Too I had the same issue.
After removing GeForce Experience the crashes stopped.

My time spent prior to finding this - 20 hours
removed PDR 11 and 12 , updating NVidia drivers, removing MS KB patches, update from PDR 13 to 14 $$
combing Process monitor logs, sending crash logs to boomerang with contact info attached etc.

ModName Value=ntdll.dll

ModVersion Value=6.1.7601.19018

ExceptionCode Value=0xC0000005

Offset Value="0x000000000004AC04

Access violation - code c0000005 (first/second chance not available)
Ilya [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 18, 2015 14:45 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Had the same problem.

Removing GeForce Experience helped!
hlava81 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 27, 2015 13:24 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
I would like to thank to all who responded to this topic because I was also affected by constantly crashing. I just removed GeForce Experience and so far 30 minutes without crash so I believe it solved the problem.

Thanks again to all of you. It was nearly impossible to make any video. This topic should be pinned to the top because there must be many users with this problem. Maybe everyone with nVidia graphics.
Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Mar 07, 2012 09:15 Messages: 1303 Offline
[Post New]
Hello All!

By reading the above, it is clear that "GeForce Experience" and its creator(s) can be held to blame for the grief you've suffered in using PD14. That serves as a "kick in the pants" for the GeForce Experience creator(s).

Cheers!

Neil.
DavidRHW3333 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 08, 2016 15:49 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks for this - any chance it could be made sticky? It took some digging around to find it.
Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Well, the above from DavidRHW3333 certainly proves it!

GeForce is definitely the culprit here! It tink that, for Power Director 15, GeForce should be cut out altogether(if it was part of the package for PD14, that is, then it should not be included in PD15).
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Well, the above from DavidRHW3333 certainly proves it!

GeForce is definitely the culprit here! It tink that, for Power Director 15, GeForce should be cut out altogether(if it was part of the package for PD14, that is, then it should not be included in PD15).
Geforce is not created by Cyberlink. It is Nvidia the Manufacturer of Video Cards and Video Chips. If you have an AMD or ATI video card, you never have Geforce.

http://www.nvidia.com/content/global/global.php

Drivers search (USA version)

http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

Nvidia is the software manufacturer that needs to correct their problems. The thing is you do not have to install the Nvidia Experience. The Nvidia Experience is just a piece of software that constantly searches for new updates and possibly new software from Nvidia.

I do not have Geforce on this computer, my Video Card is a ATI Radeon HD 5770. Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

[Post New]
Actually it's a shared problem. Geforce Experience is an add-on package that allows video recoding (capture) of video games and compressing in real time, using the nvenc encoder inside the video cardvia ShadowPlay. That capture has the option to be turned ON or OFF.
If that feature is turned ON, that the encoding engine (nvenc) is in use by the GeForce Experience ShadowPlay. That would conflict with PD14 that tries to use the same feature for encoding videos.
Solution:

1. Don't install GeForce Experience, that is designed only for games and even then is not needed. If you are serious about video editing, you don't need that.

2. If the user still want that Experience, he should turn OFF the GeForce Experience Shadowplay capture when not needed.
3. Cyberlink should implement an error message for this specific conflict, stating "please turn off GeForce ShadfowPlay if you want to use hardware Acceleration", instead of just letting PD crash.
[Thumb - shadowplay_off.png]
 Filename
shadowplay_off.png
[Disk]
 Description
Shadowplay OFF
 Filesize
50 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
130 time(s)

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Jan 09. 2016 09:36

Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Okay, my mistake for lumping GeForce in with Power Director! But it still doesn't alter the fact that GeForce is creating problems for PD users where there should not be.

Cheers!

Neil.
Ken [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 18, 2015 03:03 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Uninstalled GeForce Experience seems to have helped with the crash. Still, Cyberlink should be the party responsible for detecting the shadow play engine (as it's the software trying to gain access to a resource that's currently not available) and address the issue on their end, maybe a prompt for the user would be nice, I literally wasted many hours on this.

Blaming nVidia is not the responsible way.