Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PD 14 Ultimate crashing after upgrading from PD13 Ultra - SOLVED
soundings [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 21, 2015 09:32 Messages: 6 Offline
[Post New]
I have been using PD13 Ultra for 9 months works beautifully. Took up an upgrade offer I was emailed recently to move to PD14 Ultimate. Disaster.

PD14 has crashed every time I place a clip on the timeline. I installed update 2302. Problem remained. I had to reinstall PD13 Ultra #3516 to continue working. Have searched these forums... tried all suggestions... no joy.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 15. 2015 22:28

optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Well, if you've "tried all suggestions" I think you'd know that we need to see the results of your DxDiag test before anyone can give you any solid advice.

It would also help if you listed at least some of the suggestions you already tried so we know which ones haven't worked.

There are plenty of people here willing to help, and the thing we need most of all is your next post with the relevant details.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
soundings [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for the pull up optodata. Exceedingly remiss of me. I should have been more specific.

Also, I did generate a DxDiag report, but forgot to attach it. And indeed somewhat of an exaggeration, I did not try "all suggestions".

Here's what I got around to:

Uninstall PD14...... UltimateReinstall PD14...... Updated PD14 to latest version 2302......... Updated NVIDIA drivers...... Rolled back NVIDIA drivers a few versions to see if there were conflicts...... Tried a series of settings changes to NVIDIA control panel, including the one here: http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/46365.page#240398 ............ Uninstalled PD13 Ultra......... Reinstalled PD13 Ultra.......... Defrag drives (expect SSD)

I was even thinking maybe the upgrade from PD13 ULTRA to PD14 ULTIMATE may have had some compatibility issues.

Anything else I need to forward to the forum?

Thanks.
 Filename
Soundings-DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
Soundings-DxDiag
 Filesize
51 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
112 time(s)
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Hi soundings, thanks for your candor and for all the new details

Your DxDiag results show the typical things for a system that's 6 years old with installed drivers spanning that entire range, but nothing in there looks like a red flag to me. That's actually a little disappointing because it's going to be harder to diagnose what's happening.

All of the steps you've taken so far make perfect sense, so let's try some hand-on diagnostics to see if we can figure out why PD14 is still crashing.

Open it up and go to the Preferences (gear icon) menu, then check the box to automatically load sample clips:

Click OK, then create a new project from the File menu. Start with any of the photo clips, and see if you can drag them to the timeline without causing PD to crash. If that works, try some simple edits, like changing the duration or cropping. If that's successful, try adding a transition or FX.

If things look ok with still images, then try placing the kite surfer video on the timeline and making similar edits. You can put several copies in the timeline, maybe on different tracks but the goal here is to see if PD works normally with the known sample clips before moving on.

If all that is successful, then try adding one of your clips. If PD crashes when you place it in the timeline or try to edit it, please follow Part J in the Welcome sticky and send us the details. It would also probably help if you attached a short clip to the forum for us to test. If the clip is bigger than 100MB, please uploaad it to OneDrive or DropBox and post the link.

Hopefully we'll get a clear answer for whether the issue is with PD itself or PD with your clips, and then we work on the next steps.

Just so I'm clear, you currently have both PD13 and PD14 installed, and PD13 works normally - is that correct?

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

soundings [Avatar]
[Post New]
I've tried the stills and all okay. Have to be out rest of day so will test tonight/tomorrow with video and provide relevant feedback.

Re versions installed, you are correct... both PD13 and PD14 are installed, and PD13 works normally.

Truly grateful for the assistance.

Cheers
optodata
[Post New]
Sure thing!

I'm glad the stills are working, because that's a big, positive step towards the final resolution. Post back whenever you have time to do the next steps.

YouTube/optodata

soundings [Avatar]
[Post New]
The water kite surfer wmv format works fine.

Importing my files into PD14 seems to be the issue. If I import just 2 files of about 90 seconds duration I can a few edits before crashing. PD13 could edit all day with a dozen or more files on the timeline.

I failed to mention that I work with HD files .mts format from my camcorder. 1920x1080, 29fps, audio bit rate = 256, 48kHz

Interesting new development, PD13 is now playing up as of today. It has started to crash after being in use for more than 10 mins.

Over the next few days I will back up my OS drive (for safety) and then clean out obsolete drivers and report back.

Thanks
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: The water kite surfer wmv format works fine.

Importing my files into PD14 seems to be the issue. If I import just 2 files of about 90 seconds duration I can a few edits before crashing. PD13 could edit all day with a dozen or more files on the timeline.

I failed to mention that I work with HD files .mts format from my camcorder. 1920x1080, 29fps, audio bit rate = 256, 48kHz

Interesting new development, PD13 is now playing up as of today. It has started to crash after being in use for more than 10 mins.

Over the next few days I will back up my OS drive (for safety) and then clean out obsolete drivers and report back.

Thanks

Sounds the same as this, http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/46597.page#241893 appears to affect both 359 and 359.06 from linked post.

Jeff
soundings [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks JL_JL, followed directions here http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/46597.page#241893 regarding NVIDIA GeForce Experience. Uninstalled only the GeForce Experince and rebooted.

Edited my HD video with 5 two minute clips on timeline and NO crashes in 30 minutes.

Seems GeForce Experience wants to spoil/crash the PD14 party!

Still early days. I'm going to test this more thoroughly over the weekend with the workflow that served me well under PD13. Will report back and hopefully apply the "SOLVED" tag.

Thank you all tremendously thus far. Brilliant forum it is.

Cheers.
soundings [Avatar]
[Post New]
Following on from my previous post, I did a few 2 hour editing sessions over the weekend and all was well.

Updated to latest NVIDIA driver and had a crash after half hour or so.

Rolled back the NVIDIA driver and PD14 rock solid after that.

Uninstalled PD13, leaving only PD14 on my system and PD14 remained stable.

The NVIDIA 359 and 359.06 drivers seem to have been the issue... at least in my case.

Massive thank you everyone.