Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
ATi GPU Users - Urgent Feedback Request
Andrew - Wales, UK
Contributor Location: Wales, UK Joined: Jan 27, 2009 19:16 Messages: 545 Offline
[Post New]
Hi all,

As I'm sure you're all aware, many ATi users have had significant performance issues with PD9. These include hangs during editing and production. The only workaround has to be to turn hardware acceleration off completely in 'Preferences' -> 'Hardware Acceleration'.

I've been asked to start a thread to get feedback from users on the latest ATi software 11.5 recently released. R&D are trying to establish if the problem lies with PD or ATi. As an example NVIDIA users will know that it's only since April's update from NVIDIA that GPU rendering has been of a good quality, so in that case it apeared to be a NVIDIA issue.

Please could ATi users who wish to participate:

1. Download and install the latest ATi drivers from here

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspx

2. After a re-boot, go into 'Preferences' -> 'Hardware Acceleration' and tick both boxes to turn hardware accelearion on
3. Produce a project that used to fail with GPU acceleration on
4. Report back findings here

The issue has been discussed in the past on these threads:

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/15413.page
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/17277.page

Thanks,

Andrew

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 19. 2011 16:30

Alienware Aurora ALX R4 - Intel i7-4820 4.2 GHz - 32GB DDR3 RAM - Crucial 512GB SSD - 1TB Seagate HDD - 3TB WD Green HDD - 4TB WD Green HDD - MSI NVIDIA GTX 1070 8GB

Sony HDR-PJ810 and HDR-PJ530
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Andrew,
Excellent. The hardware acceleration issue really needs to be resolved and member's input here will be passed onto CyberLink.

Note: It was Andrew who came up with the workaround solution many PD9 editors now employ.

Diolch
Dafydd

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at May 19. 2011 10:11

Bubba in TX
Senior Contributor Location: Central Texas Joined: Dec 12, 2009 21:32 Messages: 1332 Offline
[Post New]
I have had hardware acceleration on since day one with my ATI card. I did not notice any problems, but I have not done any HD video. Just finished my annual High School graduation project went smooth and completed fine.

But I did notice a graphic display issue I was noticing with ATI 11.3 seems to be gone with the 11.5.

I did join two 5 minute videos I made with my new camera this morning to test, (mov HD) produced them to m2ts, mpeg2 and 4 with no problems.

[Thumb - Capture.JPG]
 Filename
Capture.JPG
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
22 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
1314 time(s)

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at May 19. 2011 11:29

CyberLink PowerDirector 10 Tutorials
PDtoots PowerDirector Tutorials

**NOTICE**
When you are asked to provide a DXDIAG you go the following link and do part "B". Your posted specs are NOT what we are looking for as they tell us nothing. The specs on the box of your computer mean nothing. The DXDIAG shows us how your computer is configured as it runs.

DXDIAG Link
James Dotson
Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
[Post New]
I have had no hangs, etc, since I upgraded to PD9, BUT I just installed the ATI update and I see that it still does not seem to be utilizing the GPU. I produced a 4 minute 1080i mts video to 720p AVCHD and both cores of the CPU ran around 80% the whole time. GPU is a HD4650, which is on the supported list the last time I looked. In Produce, hardware encoding is selected. __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM
RETROCANADA1 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 16, 2011 15:11 Messages: 14 Offline
[Post New]
Nothing but problems with PD9 and my ATI 5770. I've completely uninstalled and reinstalled the entire package using Catalyst. I even installed the "hotfix 11.5a" and I get a variety of issues. Most annoying is that with Hardware decoding ticked it produces a degraded image, noticeablely less clear than without it. But the problem is without hardware encoding, I get horizontal skewing of the image that persists right through to the produced item. This is not merely a preview or display issue for me. I've attached two frame grabs to show you what I mean.

I also get numerous hangs, freezes and sluggish behaviour despite the fact I have an i7 with 12Gigs of ram.

I've done complete uninstalls and reinstalls of the software, moved it to another hard drive, and PD9 can't even handle a single H.264 clip of less than 2 minutes without all of the above issues.

Is it my XFX Radeon 5770 (I have two in xfire), or is it PD9? Frankly, I get no other grief of this sort from any other image/video software. Just PD9. And PD8 functions just fine. That tells me something.

I've also raised this with "customer support". Frankly, that's futile.

[Thumb - WITHOUT-HARDWARE-DECODING.jpg]
 Filename
WITHOUT-HARDWARE-DECODING.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
457 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
489 time(s)
[Thumb - WITH-HARDWARE-DECODING.jpg]
 Filename
WITH-HARDWARE-DECODING.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
300 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
458 time(s)

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at May 21. 2011 12:20

Bubba in TX
Senior Contributor Location: Central Texas Joined: Dec 12, 2009 21:32 Messages: 1332 Offline
[Post New]
Strange... I have the XFX 5770 also.... no problems, but I only have one card not two. I would disable the cross fire. __________________________________________
Windows 8 Pro 64 bit

**NOTICE**
When you are asked to provide a DXDIAG you go the following link and do part "B". Your posted specs are NOT what we are looking for as they tell us nothing. The specs on the box of your computer mean nothing. The DXDIAG shows us how your computer is configured as it runs.

DXDIAG Link
RETROCANADA1 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 16, 2011 15:11 Messages: 14 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks for the tip about disabling Xfire. It was one of the first things I tried, even though PD9 only uses one card. But it made no difference. Still searching for answers.
Bubba in TX
[Post New]
Is it with that one file or any file you try. If you have a short 30 second or so clip that does the same thing attach it so we can see the actual clip properties, ect.. and see what we can do with it. __________________________________________
Windows 8 Pro 64 bit

**NOTICE**

DXDIAG Link
Cap'n Kevin
Senior Contributor Location: Chebeague Island, Maine Joined: Dec 26, 2008 20:22 Messages: 2011 Offline
[Post New]
I would disable the cross fire.

Just some words from my own personal experience using PD7, 8 and 9.

You do not need to disable "crossfire" if using multiple ATI video cards to solve the rendering problem currently being experienced with PD9. PD9 and other video editing programs that I have used only use one card when rendering to a video file as evidenced by several graphic usage monitoring program utilities. This also most likely applies to SLI(multiple Nvidia video cards), but I can't make an informed comment since I have never used multiple Nvidia graphic cards.

Crossfire is used with "Crossfired" enabled video games. This is where you then gain a benefit of placing multiple cards in either Crossfire or SLI.

Kevin
Check out PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials and more! Over 5,000 Subscribers.
Cap'n Kevin
Senior Contributor Location: Chebeague Island, Maine Joined: Dec 26, 2008 20:22 Messages: 2011 Offline
[Post New]
Back to Andrews question:

I installed build 2702 and place three m2ts (1920x1080 @ 17Mbps bitrate) clips totalling One minute on the timeline and placed a three second fade in between each clip. Produce to h.264 file type and selected the 1920x1080 profile(15.5Mbps default bit rate). Both options were selected as instructed in Preferences under the Hardware Acceleration section.

Results were identical for the 11.4 and 11.5 driver for me on my system, with one exception regarding GPU activity levels.

SVRT - Rendering time 21 seconds, good video quality, but stuttered for 1 second after each of the two transitions in the final produced video.

Hardware Encoding - Rendering time 1 minute 2 seconds,The GPU is utilized ranging from 32% to 62% with the 11.4 driver during rendering, and the stuttering was NOT present. Great video quality.
11.5 driver used the GPU in a different way from my observations. GPU activity was very low(5% to 10%) then spiked to 30% at the transitions, then dropped back down to 5% to 10%.

CPU encoding - Rendering Time 1 minute 11 seconds with perfect video quality. As usual no stuttering...no color banding or artifacts present.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 20. 2011 23:44

Cap'n Kevin
[Post New]
Should also say that I reverted back to build 2330 because of instability of build 2702 on my particular setup.

I hope this is the type of information you were looking Andrew.

Kevin
Andrew - Wales, UK
Contributor Location: Wales, UK Joined: Jan 27, 2009 19:16 Messages: 545 Offline
[Post New]
Hi all,

Thanks for all the feedback! I used to have the 5770 but after all the problems with PD9 plus screen flickering issues with my dual displays I sold it for the NVIDIA GTS 450.

The only way to make build 2702 stable with my 5770 was to turn off hardware acceleration in preferences. Build 2330 had no stability issues but I could not find any evidence the 5770 was doing any work.

The 5770 seems to be the card people are flagging up. It worked perfectly with PD8. It seems to be an issue with PD rather than ATi.

Cheers,

Andrew

Alienware Aurora ALX R4 - Intel i7-4820 4.2 GHz - 32GB DDR3 RAM - Crucial 512GB SSD - 1TB Seagate HDD - 3TB WD Green HDD - 4TB WD Green HDD - MSI NVIDIA GTX 1070 8GB

Sony HDR-PJ810 and HDR-PJ530
HalCon
Senior Contributor Location: Charlottetown, PEI Joined: Mar 01, 2008 10:36 Messages: 719 Offline
[Post New]
Andrew,

Hope this is the information you are seeking.

With Windows XP "Enable Hardware Decoding" is not available in preferences. From the Help file in PD9
Note: this feature is not available under Windows XP.

Selecting or deselecting 'Enable AMD Accelerated Parallel Processing' has no effect on the issue I was having.

I was not having performance issues or freezing. The issue that I have is: When using 'Hardware video encoding' in the produce module I was getting black artifacts in the text in my titles. Turning off the Hardware encoding eliminated the artifacts.

I upgraded to the latest ATI drivers (the full package, video, audio, and Avivo) today and redid the tests. I got the same results as previous driver versions. Hardware decoding produces artifacts in the text.

If you want or need more info, please let me know.

Hal

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 21. 2011 14:15

OS - Win11 Pro, Alienware R13, CPU - Intel Core I7-12700KF 12 CPUs), 16g DDR5 4400 RAM, Video - Geeforce RTX 3080ti 12g, PD11 & PD365
My YouTube
All vodi
Senior Contributor Location: Canada Joined: Aug 21, 2009 11:24 Messages: 1431 Offline
[Post New]
Using ATI 5670 graphics (11.5 version) with i7 CPU, 3 minute AVCHD 1920x1080 clip, no hangs in both modes:

With HA enabled: render time >7 minutes, CPU=25%, GPU=75% avg, video quality good

Without HA: render time = 4 minutes, CPU<30%, GPU<15% avg, video quality good Win 10, i7
DLS vision [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 04, 2011 06:23 Messages: 14 Offline
[Post New]
Just joined forum. I have the 5770 card and have experience all the for mention issues. No solutions found as you'll have said. Cyberlink has known of my problem for about 3 weeks now, without even suggesting the 5770 has been and on going issue which p...s me off. I have learned more about sftw, drivers, and hrw, than I wanted to.

I am so glad to have joined this forum and know I am not a lone.

Thanks I clear my C Drive Dailey. Go to on desk top to start-search. Type in %temp%. High lite and delete all files shown you can. Be amazed at temp files collected.
GoPokes
Member Location: NE Oklahoma Joined: Jun 04, 2011 10:33 Messages: 80 Offline
[Post New]
Might add, I installed a GTX460 and editing problems went away. Installed Patches and have had no hangup issues. Amature does it till he gets it right. A Pro does it till he can't get it wrong.