Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Startup crash on Windows 7 "PowerDirector has stopped working", I need help debugging please!
Mike [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 07, 2010 07:34 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
I'm having this problem on my 64 Bit windows 7 PC however it is fine on my laptop which is running 32 bit windows 7. I was going to buy this later this week but now I won't be.

Am I correct in assuming it is because I am running a 64 bit OS as it just says on the requirements page that it only runs on windows 7 and usually if a product supports 64bit it says that is does.
Paul 2014 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 20, 2010 14:06 Messages: 9 Offline
[Post New]
Welcome to the show, I submitted several trouble tickets but none of the resolution steps they asked me to perform solved the issue and my trial is now gone, I ended up not buying the software at all.
I wish I could help, good luck!
Paul
REZA [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 25, 2010 22:24 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
I am having the same problem!

My system: Dell xps 8100; 12GB dram; i7-870; GTX470

Appcrash in ntdll.dll at startup.

Tried:
1) cleanm install, including registry wipe.
2) reinstall nvidia drivers.
3) memory check.

No dice.

Now what should I try?
Cap'n Kevin
Senior Contributor Location: Chebeague Island, Maine Joined: Dec 26, 2008 20:22 Messages: 2011 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Mike,

You wrote:
I'm having this problem on my 64 Bit windows 7 PC however it is fine on my laptop which is running 32 bit windows 7. I was going to buy this later this week but now I won't be.

Am I correct in assuming it is because I am running a 64 bit OS as it just says on the requirements page that it only runs on windows 7 and usually if a product supports 64 bit it says that is does.

It isn't a problem running PD8 on a 64-bit platform, PD8 simply installs in the 32-bit "Program folder". It runs reliably on my system and has since February of this year when I converted to that 64 bit OS system. If you are having trouble with PD8 on the 64-bit PC....then the problem is not because of the 64-bit variable. If PD8 didn't run in a 64-bit environment the forum would be filled with very angry people, and it isn't so far...well not due to that reason!! It is not working because of some other factor.

donbroadband provided some steps to take that may work for you. Unfortunately a similar problem can have different causes. It isn't always the same for each person because every PC is unique due to its specific hardware setup and installed software. Quite often a problem is corrected when the user goes back through some of the corrective steps and discovers that a crucial step was overlooked. I have been guilty of that many times.

Regards,

Kevin
Check out PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials and more! Over 5,000 Subscribers.
FJA2010 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 26, 2010 13:41 Messages: 7 Offline
[Post New]
I have similiar problem, PD8 crashes whenever I try to use Titles (create or edit a Title) or try to Produce a video, and on many other things.
I was able to creat a project (without any titles) without the program crashing, burt I can't get beyond that.
The email support has been worthless since I have not received a reply to my two messages about PD8 crashinig all the time. I reinstalled it but it made no difference.
I was hoping to see some response from a technical support person in this forum, but where are they?
I have Win 7 Ultimate 64, and a Intel Core 2 Quad 2.66GHz 8GB mem, ATI Radeon HD4650 and Blu-Ray RW
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
BHi FJA2010,
This isn't a technical support led forum. we are a user led forum.
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/forums/list.page
This is a forum for CyberLink members to discuss and share their users' experience. CyberLink customer support will not reply in the forum regarding the technical issues.

Here are a few posts to read: http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/7979.page So you know what information to provide.

for technical support: https://membership.cyberlink.com/prog/support/cs/index.do

I've noted your issues. Look to update your drivers although I'm sure you have.

Dafydd
FJA2010 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: I've noted your issues. Look to update your drivers although I'm sure you have.

Dafydd

Thanks.
PD8 worked initially for my first video where I was able to edit and create a Title so I think the drivers should be fine. However, now it no longer does that without crashing, and I haven't changed any drivers or anything that would cause that. I think the problem is internal to PD8.
I was unable to upload the 'dump file to Cyberling Tech support because their limit is 5 MB/file and the dump file was over that.
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote:
Quote: I've noted your issues. Look to update your drivers although I'm sure you have.

Dafydd

Thanks.
PD8 worked initially for my first video where I was able to edit and create a Title so I think the drivers should be fine. However, now it no longer does that without crashing, and I haven't changed any drivers or anything that would cause that. I think the problem is internal to PD8.
I was unable to upload the 'dump file to Cyberling Tech support because their limit is 5 MB/file and the dump file was over that.

Could you do a few things for me please.

Do a complete uninstall > reboot > reinstall of PD8.

I also wonder what has changed on your system for a functioning software to stop working. What has changed? What have you introduced onto your system that has altered your set up? Do you allow auto-updates? Have you updated W7? The very last one is because a forum member here had crashes triggered after a w7 update was applied. Think. Video Editing software max's on all your resources and if you're editing HD then you need to be VERY careful because you need to stay within the capability of your PC. VE also shows weaknesses in systems - if you have a faulty bit of kit, a Ram with an issue, wrong pairing, badley handled and fitted a disc drive faltering, insufficient power.

A diagnostic only tells us so much, most of the "help" is from an operator thinking logically and eliminating systems and software.

attach a diagnostic - please.

Dafydd
FJA2010 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Do a complete uninstall > reboot > reinstall of PD8.

...attach a diagnostic - please.

Dafydd

My version of PD8 is an upgrade to Platinum from Premium. I did one complete re-install, but I did not remove anything first. If I completely uninstall, will it still install the upgrade?
Also, there are several diagnostic tools. Could you please be specific as to what diagnostic tool? I think the one on my computer is by PC-Doctor.
As to your other question, yes I use automatic updates and everything is current both with Windows 7 Ultra and PD8 and my graphics driver.

Thanks again
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi,
My version of PD8 is an upgrade to Platinum from Premium.
Your information statement worries me. The full version of PowerDirector 8 are Deluxe and Ultra.

Please can you look up two guides for me, one's for the version details and the other is a guide to create a diagnostic. Carry out PART A and PART B please.

I suspect you have a special build - not to worry, i just need the actual details.

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/7958.page
Subject: PowerDirector - information we request and tasks to carry out.
PART A - name it
PART B - provide it
PART F - use them
PART E - an alternative
PART D - presentation is important

Dafydd
FJA2010 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Well, now I'm screwed.
I uninstalled the program and rebooted, as you suggested. However, as I had feared, I cannot re-install it because neither the Premium version or Platimum version exist on my machine anymore.
I tried copying the Premium version from a backup but that doesn't work, it has to be installed and I don't have the old Premium version anymore because the new version deleted it.

I bought the back-up disk when I purchesed PD8 but thats no good because its an upgrade from the premium version which I don't have anymore.

BTW, its the Suite package, contains PD8, as well as Power2Go and PhotoNow and LabelPrint. Of course none of them work now.
That sucks
FJA2010 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I restored Windows back to yesterday and got PD8 back installed.However, it is at the same point I was, which is that it crashes if I try to use Titles or Produce.
It is versiopn Power Director Ultra 8.00.3022 and comes with the Platium package of Cyberling DVD Suite.
I cannot totally unninstall it without losing it as I explained in last post, since it is an update from Premium package which I no longer have because PD8 deleted it and copying from a backup doesn't work.

All my drivers and windows updates are up to date. I'll run diagnostics. but PD8 is the only program I have problem with.
FJA2010 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I have run the diagnostic and saved as a .txt file
What should I do with it.
In summary, no problems were found...
-------------
------------
DxDiag Notes
------------
Display Tab 1: No problems found.
Display Tab 2: No problems found.
Sound Tab 1: No problems found.
Sound Tab 2: No problems found.
Sound Tab 3: No problems found.
Input Tab: No problems found.
-------------
FJA2010 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I forwarded it to Cyberlink Support along with a screen capture of the error message.
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
I'm glad you were able to recover the situation.

You really should have the original install software - contact your PC supplier and ask from them.

You need to contact technical support with your issue. https://membership.cyberlink.com/prog/support/cs/index.do

The standard response to problems related to missing modules is a re-install and as you've indicated you cant do that.... Looks like you have situation and will go around in circles until you get the software from your PC company.

I will mention the problem to Cyberlink and maybe ask you later some specific questions - by PM.

Dafydd

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 27. 2010 11:03