Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PhotoDirector won't open since PD Suite 365 update 3/2/2022
DavidADS [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 05, 2021 17:04 Messages: 22 Offline
[Post New]
The PowerDirecector 365 Suite updated today and now when I click on PhotoDirector it just spins and spins and finally I get message that it stopped suddenly.

I use my PhotoDirector as much as I do my PowerDirector.

Any help would be appreciated.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 02. 2022 19:26

optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
There was a new release of PowerDirector today, but PhotoDirector was last updated in early Jan. There was also a recent App Manager update (to 4.0.1319.0), but no other apps have been updated recently.

In the case of PhD not opening, that can happen if the database becomes corrupt. Read my response with the links in this discussion.
DavidADS [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 05, 2021 17:04 Messages: 22 Offline
[Post New]
Quote There was a new release of PowerDirector today, but PhotoDirector was last updated in early Jan. There was also a recent App Manager update (to 4.0.1319.0), but no other apps have been updated recently.

In the case of PhD not opening, that can happen if the database becomes corrupt. Read my response with the links in this discussion.

Thanks Optodata. I used the NewProject zip and it did open PhotoDirector as hoped. I couldn't find my previous project in the screen that opened with Open Project command. Oh well.

I read through all of the links you included and as a newby, it sounds like this is a common issue with PhotoDirector application. I wondering now how safe it is to use on a regular basis? I do Save often to avoid losing projects, but that didn't seem to help in this case.

Thanks again for the help and direction. Appeciate your wisdom.

David
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
I'm glad that got you up and running!

If you search your system for .phd files you should locate the original database. I use a free tool called Everything which is lightning quick, but you can search using File Explorer. The default folder should be \Pictures\PhotoDirector13.0\{User name}

If you use OneDrive, it will be in the \OneDrive\Pictures\PhotoDirector13.0\{User name} folder by default. Having the database file on OneDrive will also ensure that you can restore it from an earlier version in case anything goes wrong down the road.

As far as being "safe," PhD doesn't ever modify your orignal photos, and the only things stored in the .phd file are the folder locations of the clips you've imported along with the various edits you've made so far. Even if the .phd file is completely deleted and you don't have any kind of backup, all your photos will be exactly where they were and will remain in untouched condition.