Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Replacing a video clip
BrianE [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 15, 2020 11:46 Messages: 28 Offline
[Post New]
Is it possible to replace a video clip in a project with a video clip that has the same name but a diifferent type? For instance, if I had a better quality video clip of myvideo.m4v, could I replace it with myvideo.mpg? I haven't been able to find a way to do it so far, so if it is possible, can anyone advise me how to do it please?
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Try this: Rename the myvideo.mpg to booby.mpg. Import it to the Media room of the library. Click and drag the booby.mpg to the timeline over the myvideo.m4v clip and release. Select Replace. That should do it.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 04. 2021 08:55

BrianE [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Try this: Rename the myvideo.mpg to booby.mpg. Import it to the Media room of the library. Click and drag the booby.mpg to the timeline over the myvideo.m4v clip and release. Select Replace. That should do it.

Thanks for the suggestion. However, it wouldn't work in my situation because I had trimmed the original video clip. I did find however, that if I removed the original clip with the option to leave a gap and then inserted the new clip using the trim to fit option, I could then retrim the new clip using the in and out position I had previously noted down. Unfortunately and for some unknown reason, PowerDirector 18 does not play any sound associated with the new clip. I can play the clip using VLC Media Player and also play it in AVS Video Editor, so I don't know why it won't play in PowerDirector.
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Thanks for the suggestion. However, it wouldn't work in my situation because I had trimmed the original video clip. I did find however, that if I removed the original clip with the option to leave a gap and then inserted the new clip using the trim to fit option, I could then retrim the new clip using the in and out position I had previously noted down. Unfortunately and for some unknown reason, PowerDirector 18 does not play any sound associated with the new clip. I can play the clip using VLC Media Player and also play it in AVS Video Editor, so I don't know why it won't play in PowerDirector.

One can also edit a copy of the pds file and simple change file names in the file, video1.m4v to video2.mpg. One can preserve all cuts with no redo in such case.

More than likely the audio related to Dolby support. Verify audio codec in new source file with like MediaInfo and if DD this hotfix may apply. https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/84991.page#351807

Jeff
BrianE [Avatar]
[Post New]

One can also edit a copy of the pds file and simple change file names in the file, video1.m4v to video2.mpg. One can preserve all cuts with no redo in such case.

Jeff

Sorry Jeff but I don't know how to do that. Could you provide some step-by-step instructions for me?

I'll look into the other issue after dinner.

Many thanks.
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Brian, for some unknown reason CL moved the hotfix they had posted for PD18 in the link I provided. They have not officially released a patch for this either. I have attached here so you have it. The directions are the same as in the link.

Jeff
 Filename
CLAud_Ext.zip
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
13 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
122 time(s)
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
I supplied a slightly different link for the same Hotfix to a different user earlier today in this post: https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/84202.page#post_box_353354 . The step 4 link in that post works, same as the one supplied by Jeff. Both links downloaded that zip file just fine here.
BrianE [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks Guys. I've applied the hotfix, but I got around the problem in the meantime by re-ripping the problem DVD to mpg but specifying stereo for the sound format. It still sounds fine to me through my Sennheiser TV headphones (although I haven't compared the two side by side), but it's good to know there's another option if needed.