Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
clip/movie tabs missing
icgpamretired1 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 16, 2014 20:08 Messages: 25 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

Just upgraded to the latest version and one of the changes not mentioned in "What's New" is the absence of the clip/movie tabs just below the edit window. If you click on a clip and hit stop, it goes to the beginning of that clip. But how do you easily get to the beginning of the entire movie? Thanks in advance for your help.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
That's a good point, but I actually see the opposite!

There's no longer any setting to switch to movie mode automatically during playback (which is how I'd always set PD to behave), so now when I select a clip and click play, the timeline switches to movie mode (no clips selected) and every time I click Stop, the cursor returns to the beginning of the timeline and never the start of the clip I started on.

In your case, I imagine you may not be ble to preview the entire movie if you start out with a clip selected. If you click on the area above the timeline, you should be able to place the playhead wherever you want and PD should continue previewing past that clip if there are more following. You should then see the playhead go all the way to the start of the timeline when you click Stop.

The only related setting I can find is this one, but that only seems to affect the playhead behavior when it naturally reaches the end of the timeline (or in your case, the selected clip?):

As far as I can tell, the latest version of PD is permanently stuck in clip or movie mode, depending on how it was configured before the update. I don't see any way to change it, but maybe other members or the PD Moderator can figure out a way.

Of the two options,I think you're in a better situation. As long as you can start without any clips selected, I think you'll still have movie mode available and PD will use clip mode whenever a clip is selected. On my end, it's only movie mode

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 01. 2020 00:18

PowerDirector Moderator [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: New Taipei City, Taiwan Joined: Oct 18, 2016 00:25 Messages: 2104 Offline
[Post New]
Hi folk,

The clip/movie mode button has been removed, we understand that CL found that most users enabled the "movie mode" most of the time.

With some brief testing, we can't confirm that the previous configuration alters the behaviour post update but others may test that where possible.

The Preferences>Return to beginning switch makes the scubber return to the start, or stop, after preview reaches the last item on the timeline.

So, taking a new look at what is required in this context, we might review a wider approach?

We can always use the spacebar or pause to halt the scubber wherever we want, rather than using stop.

We can utilise the range selection tool to preview single clips, but that is a bit cumbersome - however, how often do we want to just review a single clip, more often we might want to review a series or part of a series, including transitions and audio to see what our edits look and sound like?

So we can use the range selection to cover the edits we want and, depending on how the Preferences switch is configured, the range is treated as a "mini-movie" and the scubber will stop at the end of the range or return to the start of the range.

The range is reset by clicking anywhere outside the range.

Whilst it is different, it is a more versatile and flexible tool than just clip or movie mode. Yes, it's not quite as "simple" but considerably more useful?

Also, used in conjunction with the one click render preview button, it can make editing more flexible and easier?

Cheers
PowerDirector Moderator
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote The clip/movie mode button has been removed, we understand that CL found that most users enabled the "movie mode" most of the time.

Is this CL finding the result of those that participate in the "Cyberlink Product Improvement Program" in pref?

Jeff
icgpamretired1 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thank you all for those responses. I'm sure as I get used to it, it will be easier, as many times previously I either had clip or movie selected and wanted the other. There is always a reason something is done by Cyberlink and I've always liked (eventually) the changes.
[Post New]
Yes, an absolutely horrid change. When I hit 'stop' it only goes to the beginning of the clip. There is not a way, that I have found, to set it to movie. I tend to use both depending on what I am working on. This change is very clunky.

There are a number of interface changes that have made it much clunkier to use. Like when you click on an item in the timeine (say after snipping a clip) there is no trash can. I either have to go through the menu bar, or get my keyboard out to delete something. Both are bad options. https://www.youtube.com/c/titotimtravels
Philwild [Avatar]
Senior Member Location: Hemel Hempstead, UK Joined: Oct 05, 2017 12:04 Messages: 208 Offline
[Post New]
I have to say, I find the new way much more intuitive.

If I have a clip highlighted, the stop sends the playhead to the start of the clip (this makes total sense to me).

If no clip is highlighted the playhead goes to the beginning of the movie.

I no longer have to remember to change it under the preview window (which I always forgot) Just is the clip selected or not.

It always confused me that if a clip was selected, but movie mode switched on. the playhead went back to the beginning and not to the start of the clip, which I would expect.
icgpamretired1 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote I have to say, I find the new way much more intuitive.

If I have a clip highlighted, the stop sends the playhead to the start of the clip (this makes total sense to me).

I no longer have to remember to change it under the preview window (which I always forgot) Just is the clip selected or not.

It always confused me that if a clip was selected, but movie mode switched on. the playhead went back to the beginning and not to the start of the clip, which I would expect.

This is a great simple explanation. Thanks.
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]

That's why a good user interface has pref, and settings, to configure!

Jeff
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]

That's all well and good and it makes perfect sense,. However, on both of my systems the clip is deselected every time I click Play or hit the spacebar, so my timeline is permanently in the old "movie mode."

Without a setting to change that behavior, I don't see any way to force PD to return to the beginning of a clip unless I have a tool like Keyframe or Fix / Enhance open.

Philwild [Avatar]
Senior Member Location: Hemel Hempstead, UK Joined: Oct 05, 2017 12:04 Messages: 208 Offline
[Post New]

That's all well and good and it makes perfect sense,. However, on both of my systems the clip is deselected every time I click Play or hit the spacebar, so my timeline is permanently in the old "movie mode."

Without a setting to change that behavior, I don't see any way to force PD to return to the beginning of a clip unless I have a tool like Keyframe or Fix / Enhance open.

Yes you're right, it does do that. Surely that's not intended? I just automatically clicked on the clip, so I didn't really notice.
Reditelj [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 08, 2020 12:13 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Not only the playhead returns to the beginning of the movie when the clip is selected and play stopped, but it also rolls over to the next clip when the end of the selected one is reached. Both of these behaviours are very inconvenient. The beginning and the end of the clip are the portions which should be trimmed most often. And the easiest way to trim is to split the clip and remove the beginning and the end portions. To make this easier, the timeline should show the time into the clip during preview, not the time into the movie. And the preview should stop when it reaches the end of the clip. Yes, there are workarounds, but I do not understand why these very logical options were removed and I am sorry that I upgraded from 18 to 19.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 08. 2020 12:34

JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Not only the playhead returns to the beginning of the movie when the clip is selected and play stopped, but it also rolls over to the next clip when the end of the selected one is reached. Both of these behaviours are very inconvenient. The beginning and the end of the clip are the portions which should be trimmed most often. And the easiest way to trim is to split the clip and remove the beginning and the end portions. To make this easier, the timeline should show the time into the clip during preview, not the time into the movie. And the preview should stop when it reaches the end of the clip. Yes, there are workarounds, but I do not understand why these very logical options were removed and I am sorry that I upgraded from 18 to 19.

Yes, really botched the release of this "feature".

As far as the time code goes, one can still use the "Page Up" and "Page Down" keys to toggle Movie and Clip mode as far as the time code goes at current scrubber position, well until it's improved too!

Would sure be nice to understand source and background to PDM's comment about "we understand that CL found that most users enabled the "movie mode" most of the time" comment so users inputs become more valuable.

Jeff
Snorky [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 13, 2011 15:57 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Would sure be nice to understand source and background to PDM's comment about "we understand that CL found that most users enabled the "movie mode" most of the time" comment so users inputs become more valuable.

Jeff

Agreed, taking away peferctly good/working functionlity is not good.
AVPlayVideo
Senior Contributor Location: Home Joined: Apr 06, 2016 19:03 Messages: 703 Offline
[Post New]
I also preferred that the timeline at the end of the video did not return to the beginning, I even deselected it in the settings as shown by optodata.
It turns out that it also changes that for Pip Designer etc ... it was not good for me

As for the clip or movie mode, I never used those buttons.

when selecting a clip automatically clip is selected, clicking on the void. is in movie mode, simple as that.

Keyboard shortcuts

PgUp - changes to Clip

PgDn - changes to Movie

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Dec 28. 2020 09:38

XEON-E5-2680 v4 / Mem. 16GB DDR4
M.2 NVME 512Gb / 2-SSD Sata3 1TB
AMD RX570 / Display Philips 272V8
Windows 11_64Pro / PD22/365
ElleB [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 16, 2020 17:45 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hi folk,

The clip/movie mode button has been removed, we understand that CL found that most users enabled the "movie mode" most of the time.

We can utilise the range selection tool to preview single clips, but that is a bit cumbersome - however, how often do we want to just review a single clip, more often we might want to review a series or part of a series, including transitions and audio to see what our edits look and sound like?

I'm sorry to say, but that along with other UI changes makes me regret not having cancelled my subscription. Just because most users enable movie mode, does not mean, that there are no users switching between both. Why take away that option? Why take away the bin and hide the delete button in a menue? It adds nothing to UI and complicates usability.
Dan DuPort [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 25, 2020 08:50 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]

I'm sorry to say, but that along with other UI changes makes me regret not having cancelled my subscription. Just because most users enable movie mode, does not mean, that there are no users switching between both. Why take away that option? Why take away the bin and hide the delete button in a menue? It adds nothing to UI and complicates usability.

Totally agree, why take away options that are legit! They say CL takes them away becasue 'most' users perfer one way to the other -- that's just poor thinking.

Personally, when I edit a clip, I'm editing the clip, not the whole time line -- even though I do the editing in the timeline. In the preview window, one is placed in a very local view of the timeline, they are placed on the current clip. One generally gets there because they are working on a clip. To have a button - a scrub button - that jets you out of the local mode and into the start of the timeline is WRONG! Bad design -- a DESIGN FAULT, period.

Why CL wants to change to a bad design makes one want to reconsider alternative packages!
Snorky [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 13, 2011 15:57 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]

Totally agree, why take away options that are legit! They say CL takes them away becasue 'most' users perfer one way to the other -- that's just poor thinking.

Personally, when I edit a clip, I'm editing the clip, not the whole time line -- even though I do the editing in the timeline. In the preview window, one is placed in a very local view of the timeline, they are placed on the current clip. One generally gets there because they are working on a clip. To have a button - a scrub button - that jets you out of the local mode and into the start of the timeline is WRONG! Bad design -- a DESIGN FAULT, period.

Why CL wants to change to a bad design makes one want to reconsider alternative packages!

Agreed! CL, why break something that's not broken. What's the old saying, 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it'. '

CL need to give PD users options (in regards to the clip/movie tabs)

Edit: spelling.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 23. 2020 07:03

AVPlayVideo
Senior Contributor Location: Home Joined: Apr 06, 2016 19:03 Messages: 703 Offline
[Post New]

Concordo! CL, por que quebrar algo que não está quebrado. Qual é o velho ditado, 'se não está quebrado, não conserte'. '

CL precisa dar opções aos usuários PD (em relação às guias de clipe / filme)

Edit: spelling.

There's no mystery.

when selecting a clip automatically is in clip mode, clicking on the void. is in movie mode, simple as that.

Keyboard shortcuts

PgUp - changes to Clip

PgDn - changes to Movie

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Jan 03. 2021 05:28

Ashelle [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 15, 2019 12:35 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hi folk,

With some brief testing, we can't confirm that the previous configuration alters the behaviour post update but others may test that where possible.

The Preferences>Return to beginning switch makes the scubber return to the start, or stop, after preview reaches the last item on the timeline.

So, taking a new look at what is required in this context, we might review a wider approach?

We can always use the spacebar or pause to halt the scubber wherever we want, rather than using stop.

So we can use the range selection to cover the edits we want and, depending on how the Preferences switch is configured, the range is treated as a "mini-movie" and the scubber will stop at the end of the range or return to the start of the range.

The range is reset by clicking anywhere outside the range.

Whilst it is different, it is a more versatile and flexible tool than just clip or movie mode. Yes, it's not quite as "simple" but considerably more useful?

Also, used in conjunction with the one click render preview button, it can make editing more flexible and easier?

Cheers
PowerDirector Moderator

I'm having a very hard time determining WHY this is more versatile and flexible than being able to choose clip or movie mode. Moreover, this was implemented without any announcement. I've wasted plenty of time trying to figure out what the secret combination is to be able to get the cursor to behave the way I want it...and have yet to discover it. What I DO know is that before the update, I selected one of two buttons. Surely more versatile and flexible.