Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
clip/movie tabs missing
Ashelle [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 15, 2019 12:35 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hi folk,

The clip/movie mode button has been removed, we understand that CL found that most users enabled the "movie mode" most of the time.

With some brief testing, we can't confirm that the previous configuration alters the behaviour post update but others may test that where possible.

The Preferences>Return to beginning switch makes the scubber return to the start, or stop, after preview reaches the last item on the timeline.

So, taking a new look at what is required in this context, we might review a wider approach?

We can always use the spacebar or pause to halt the scubber wherever we want, rather than using stop.

We can utilise the range selection tool to preview single clips, but that is a bit cumbersome - however, how often do we want to just review a single clip, more often we might want to review a series or part of a series, including transitions and audio to see what our edits look and sound like?

So we can use the range selection to cover the edits we want and, depending on how the Preferences switch is configured, the range is treated as a "mini-movie" and the scubber will stop at the end of the range or return to the start of the range.

The range is reset by clicking anywhere outside the range.

Whilst it is different, it is a more versatile and flexible tool than just clip or movie mode. Yes, it's not quite as "simple" but considerably more useful?

Also, used in conjunction with the one click render preview button, it can make editing more flexible and easier?

Cheers
PowerDirector Moderator

I'm having a very hard time determining WHY this is more versatile and flexible than being able to choose clip or movie mode. Moreover, this was implemented without any announcement. I've wasted plenty of time trying to figure out what the secret combination is to be able to get the cursor to behave the way I want it...and have yet to discover it. What I DO know is that before the update, I selected one of two buttons. Surely more versatile and flexible.
Dan DuPort [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 25, 2020 08:50 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hi folk,

The clip/movie mode button has been removed, we understand that CL found that most users enabled the "movie mode" most of the time.

With some brief testing, we can't confirm that the previous configuration alters the behaviour post update but others may test that where possible.

The Preferences>Return to beginning switch makes the scubber return to the start, or stop, after preview reaches the last item on the timeline.

So, taking a new look at what is required in this context, we might review a wider approach?

We can always use the spacebar or pause to halt the scubber wherever we want, rather than using stop.

We can utilise the range selection tool to preview single clips, but that is a bit cumbersome - however, how often do we want to just review a single clip, more often we might want to review a series or part of a series, including transitions and audio to see what our edits look and sound like?

So we can use the range selection to cover the edits we want and, depending on how the Preferences switch is configured, the range is treated as a "mini-movie" and the scubber will stop at the end of the range or return to the start of the range.

Whilst it is different, it is a more versatile and flexible tool than just clip or movie mode. Yes, it's not quite as "simple" but considerably more useful?

Also, used in conjunction with the one click render preview button, it can make editing more flexible and easier?

Cheers
PowerDirector Moderator

This confirms my suspicion that the folk at CL have a poor view of what video editing involves and how to accommodate those that do it. In general, the Powerdirector is a combersome attempt at a video editor. Many of the ways of working with it are hidden in user discovery -- or visible only by watching corny CL university videos, which often omit important key actions. As for me, I'm completely turned of by the awkwardness of it, and seek alternatives. Powerdirector goes hand in hand with this frightening, crappy forum software.
palancas7 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 28, 2017 08:15 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hi folk,

Cheers
PowerDirector Moderator

I just upgraded to the new PD version and thought I just couldn't find the options, so came looking for help. Can't believe this was actually deliberately removed.

Something really simple and helpful to some was removed, because the majority did not use? Was it actually bothering them? What happened to having options?
"how often do we want to just review a single clip"
Every time I work on compilations, which is most of the time.

This is actually a downgrade if features are actually being removed.
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Yes, really botched the release of this "feature".

As far as the time code goes, one can still use the "Page Up" and "Page Down" keys to toggle Movie and Clip mode as far as the time code goes at current scrubber position, well until it's improved too!

Would sure be nice to understand source and background to PDM's comment about "we understand that CL found that most users enabled the "movie mode" most of the time" comment so users inputs become more valuable.

Jeff

Although PDM nor CL would never clarify comment concerning statements made about this feature removal, the latest patch has reversed some of the effect. Obviously, a basic flub.

"Turn Off Movie Mode
The option to turn off automatically switching to movie mode during playback has been added back to Editing Preferences. See Project Preview Window for more information about selecting clip and movie mode."

Jeff

BadWolf [Avatar]
Member Joined: Sep 10, 2015 09:45 Messages: 126 Offline
[Post New]

Although PDM nor CL would never clarify comment concerning statements made about this feature removal, the latest patch has reversed some of the effect. Obviously, a basic flub.

"Turn Off Movie Mode
The option to turn off automatically switching to movie mode during playback has been added back to Editing Preferences. See Project Preview Window for more information about selecting clip and movie mode."

Jeff

After March update I do not see "Turn of movie mode" in editing preferences. All I have is "Switch to movie mode automatically during playback". However, whether it is checked or not it doesn't seem to have any effect on my timeline.
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote After March update I do not see "Turn of movie mode" in editing preferences. All I have is "Switch to movie mode automatically during playback". However, whether it is checked or not it doesn't seem to have any effect on my timeline.

The "Turn Off Movie Mode......." quote I provided was from CL release propaganda at the time. The "Turn Off Movie Mode" by itself was not a option with those words in pref > Editing. The feature that shows in pref > Editing was "Switch to movie mode automatically during playback", which was added back after total removal to give the user some control.

I don't know if the March subscription update made a change to this or not, I have perpetual key and no update.

Jeff
ShanesPlanet [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 18, 2021 23:44 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
After paying for discs and an update (took months to get discs), I am horrified to find out that my workflow has been altered by these tabs missing. I don't want to waste my time with a long post about WHY. I do know that adding features is nice, removing features is horrible. My internet is so costly, I paid extra and waited for disks. Now Im updating to an april patch (600mb) and it fails at the end. I'll have to retry much later, as 600mb is a LOT for my monthly totals. At any rate, this 'upgrade' has left me wasting more time and money. I must admit that I havent been overly pleased at how the program crashes and its clunky ui. Sadly, I am looking at other options. In the end, I will take the loss and change edittors, or simply try to downgrade back to pd18. I am very disappointed, as I dont ask much of an editor, and it just got harder to use..
Paul999 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 02, 2019 10:10 Messages: 28 Offline
[Post New]
I have these macros setup on my mouse and with them I don't really see a disadvantage to the change:

Clip Stop: page up + ctrl /
Clip End: page up + end

Movie Stop: page down + ctrl /
Timeline End: page down + end

Previous Clip: page up + ctrl left
Next Clip: page up + ctrl right

The only thing that confused me was that I couldn't click "Movie" to see what time I'm at in the movie instead of the clip. But now I figured out I can just click on an empty space next to the clip to return to "Movie" mode timestamp.