Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
GPU HW support for render of videos bigger than 4K still not solved? VERY SLOW RENDER
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote What does it mean - "OP" pls in this case?

"Original Poster" which means you in this thread

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hm, otherwise I am not sure, but I have RTX2080 and it should have the NVENC support, ther previous GTX1070 on my predator15 had it as well.

Sonic67's concern is that most laptops with nVidia GPUs aren't built to allow PD to access the NVENC hardware and that might be why you're seeing reduced performance. To be certain which GPU is being used:

1. Confirm the words on the produce page (Hardware video encoder = NVENC; Intel Quick Sync Video = iGPU)

2. Confirm activity as shown in Task Manager's Performance tab

[

Quote If I understand correctly, optodata has NVIDIA RTX 2070 and is satisfied or not? I am just expecting similar maybe up to -25% loweered performace results because of fact it is a laptop, not the -95% difference whatit shows now

I'm happy with the card, but I'm using a desktop PC with mutliple monitors so I can easily change which GPU PD will use when producing.

In other threads, JL_JL says that PD isn't using the full capabilities of the Turing hardware so the performance could potentially be higher if Cyberlink developed the proper interface. I have no idea if they'll do that or not.

I'd still like to see at least a sample clip from your project, and ideally a smaller version of your project with the same edits you've made but limited to a single source clip. That's the only way to compare producing times to see if anything is limited by your hardware.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote 2) Do I have to enable the openCL in PD18 settings (I've got it enabled)?

That's only for previewing. It doesn't make any difference when producing.

That statement is totally false for anyone reading in the future. OpenCL in pref setting can be very effective at reducing time during "Produce" operations, it just depends what one has done on the timeline. CL even annotates it applies to render in description. Especially helpful for those cases when one needs to blur part of an entire video, with such one can easily see a very significant reduction in "Produce" time, up to 2X faster is my experience, of course benefit is hardware dependent.

For what it appears MFoist timeline may look like, likely OpenCL will have no benefit, still no reason to state it's only for previewing.

Totally agree, the only way to understand MFoist long encode potential issue, if any, is to get a sample. Appears expectations maybe for Nvidia RTX 2080 GPU (only active GPU in DxDiag) to help significantly on timeline encode with LUT, not a chance in PD18 as was mentioned prior.

Concerning SVRT, the prior clip that was linked had variable framerate. Applicability of SVRT will be hit and miss as it really depends how much framerate variability the exact clip has. If variable and little change, SVRT will work, if variable and large changes because of captured scenes, SVRT will not work.

Lot of potential items at play, sharing a partial timeline of real edits and associated clips the only real way to provide any realistic assistance.

Jeff
MFoist [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 11, 2019 15:13 Messages: 45 Offline
[Post New]
OK, thanks guys ... I will ask for this in the acer community as well.

Anyway, here is it ... enjoy if you want https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=no-y3xVI9QE https://www.youtube.com/user/MrMadmajkl
https://soundcloud.com/michal-foist

Win 10 Pro 64 b, Acer Predator 15, Nvidia GF GTX 1070 8 G
Gear: Sony FDR-X3000, Gopro fusion, Canon 60D, Huawei mate 10, DJI Phantom 4 Pro
optodata
[Post New]
Looks like a fun flight, and I'm glad you finally got it produced. Personally I'd prefer to see a shorter video showing some highlights. That would also be much quicker to produce even though it would take a little longer to edit.

We still need your short project with 1 source clip if you'd like us to see if the very long produce times are common, or if they might be caused by something with your laptop. Send me a private message if you want a link to a folder on my OneDrive account.

YouTube/optodata

[Post New]
Quote OK, thanks guys ... I will ask for this in the acer community as well.

You still didn't open task manager and see what GPU (if any) is used during rendering?

Also as I have stated before, if your laptop doesn't have a BIOS option to turn off the Intel GPU, then it will not pass trough the nvidia NVENC encoder, and will use Intel's version of hardware acceleration (QuickSync).

Just a few "gaming laptops" have that option, probably because it's saving $12 on their hardware costs. Multiplexer circuit that is.

For the 100th time, in my oppinion laptops are worthless for video editing (especially the "gaming" ones), but, for some reason, people keep buying them for video editing.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Jun 02. 2020 02:14

MFoist [Avatar]
[Post New]

You still didn't open task manager and see what GPU (if any) is used during rendering?

Also as I have stated before, if your laptop doesn't have a BIOS option to turn off the Intel GPU, then it will not pass trough the nvidia NVENC encoder, and will use Intel's version of hardware acceleration (QuickSync).

Just a few "gaming laptops" have that option, probably because it's saving $12 on their hardware costs. Multiplexer circuit that is.

For the 100th time, in my oppinion laptops are worthless for video editing (especially the "gaming" ones), but, for some reason, people keep buying them for video editing.

GPU usage 3% - 9% during render I wrote it somewhere above or not?

Understood, might be, but why is then in cyberlink registry entries in Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\CyberLink\CES_FunctionLogger value NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080_26.21.14.3190 ?

I am now collecting some data for cyberlink's support, I will let you know then here. https://www.youtube.com/user/MrMadmajkl

Gear: Sony FDR-X3000, Gopro fusion, Canon 60D, Huawei mate 10, DJI Phantom 4 Pro
TDK1044 [Avatar]
Member Joined: Apr 11, 2019 12:27 Messages: 130 Offline
[Post New]

In fairness, some people like myself own laptops because video editing is only one of the things that I do on the laptop. My gaming laptop handles PD 18 very well, and the duration of my project render time is about 40 to 45 percent of the duration of the project being rendered. Yesterday I rendered a 30 minute project in just under 14 minutes. I don't know whether that's good or bad in the grand scheme of things, but I'm happy with it, and the end result is perfect. The laptop uses a combination of my i7 CPU and my GTX1060 GPU when rendering. cool
vn800rider
Senior Contributor Location: Darwen, UK Joined: May 15, 2008 04:32 Messages: 1949 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
Whilst I agree that a laptop configuration is rarely as good as a desktop configuration, it doesn't mean that video editing isn't possible on a laptop, it just means you have to be aware of those limitations and shoot and edit with that in mind.

In addition, laptops are obviously used all over the world to edit on location. Whilst I did pay extra to have my full dive and camera gear shipped to the Philippines for a few months trip, I wouldn't ship my desktop system out! So my little Asus 13", 19mm thick, 10hr battery, 1.66kg has done sterling service over the years - on dive boats, beaches, bars and hotels in many countries - for both general use and for video editing.

Obviously it isn't as good as my desktop system but it is perfectly useable for my purposes and some folk just don't have the choice between a desktop and a laptop and, as always, compromise is required!

Cheers
Adrian Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. (see below)
Confucius
AMD Phenom IIX6 1055T, win10, 5 internal drives, 7 usb drives, struggling power supply.
MFoist [Avatar]
[Post New]

I fully agree with vn800rider and TDK1044 - I usualy produce everything including my music https://soundcloud.com/michal-foist and videos https://www.youtube.com/user/MrMadmajkl on my laptops already for years (from 2007 or so). It has of course limitations - up to 25% less performace in same configuration than desktops, sometimes problems with cooling - but on the other side adequate to power consumption which is definitely much lower than on desktops, so environment friendly and bringing the mobility, thats where desktops can not compete ... especialy the gaming laptops are usualy very good at requirements for doing such things like videos and musc and ... .as a sideeffect you can play beautifull games as well ...

TBH before I am buying any of my new laptops I am always responsibly reconsidering the possibility of buying a desktop. But excepting the year of 2012, where I needed to buy crossfire or SLI machine because I went crazy into crypto mining ... always on the comparison sheet was clear winner the laptop.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 04. 2020 04:30

https://www.youtube.com/user/MrMadmajkl

MFoist [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Looks like a fun flight, and I'm glad you finally got it produced. Personally I'd prefer to see a shorter video showing some highlights. That would also be much quicker to produce even though it would take a little longer to edit.

We still need your short project with 1 source clip if you'd like us to see if the very long produce times are common, or if they might be caused by something with your laptop. Send me a private message if you want a link to a folder on my OneDrive account.

Yes, I accept/share your opinion regarding lenght, but keep in mind this should be the substitute of whole flight for persons who are unable to take off at all fro any reasons.

Sorry it took that long ... here we go https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ng0pawfPnF05ffk7JvN6jWcYKKTKJIYW/view?usp=sharing

Let me know when I can delete it. https://www.youtube.com/user/MrMadmajkl

optodata
[Post New]
I wasn't sure if we'd ever get to test the source file, so thanks very much for sharing the project.

The source clips is MagicYUV and I'm not able to use QuickSync (because the pixel size is too high for my UHD 630) or my RTX 2070 for unknown reasons. My CPU producing time is around 2:30 for both 50Mbps & 150Mbps with the LUT, and around 27 seconds without the LUT for both profiles.

Can you share the original stitched source clip in MP4 format so we can test that?

YouTube/optodata

optodata
[Post New]
For fun, I created a custom H.265 100Mbps profile (attached) and I was able to use the RTX 2070.

Just like with the H.264 profiles, it took about 2:30 to produce with the LUT and the GPU load was constant at 25%. With no LUT, it only took 0:18, so about 1.2x longer than the clip duration compared to roughly 10x the duration when processing the LUT.
 Filename
MFoist 5.7K H.265 Profile.ini
[Disk]
 Description
H.265 profile
 Filesize
1 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
153 time(s)

YouTube/optodata

JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote The source clips is MagicYUV and I'm not able to use QuickSync (because the pixel size is too high for my UHD 630) or my RTX 2070 for unknown reasons.

Probably the same reason, pixel count too high. As mentioned in his prior thread, try H.265 (8192) vs H.264 (4096) max for NVENC.

Jeff
optodata
[Post New]
Quote Probably the same reason, pixel count too high. As mentioned in his prior thread, try H.265 (8192) vs H.264 (4096) max for NVENC.

Jeff

OK. I didn't realize the Turing ASICs had that same limitation. Do you know if it's because they aren't AVC Level 6 compliant?

YouTube/optodata

JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote OK. I didn't realize the Turing ASICs had that same limitation. Do you know if it's because they aren't AVC Level 6 compliant?

Pascal, Volta, Turing, max 5.1 AVC, 6.2 HEVC.
A few unique GPU models violate to a lower level but above is the norm.

Jeff
MFoist [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote I
Can you share the original stitched source clip in MP4 format so we can test that?

Sorry, no more from this project, I already did backup of the final export only since those projects are huge as hell ...

I will do in next one https://www.youtube.com/user/MrMadmajkl

optodata
[Post New]
Quote I will do in next one

There's no need because we already have the answer. To solve the issue in your first post you'll neeed to do both of the following steps:

1. Avoid using LUTs. If possible, adjust the recording settings in your camera to provide better color saturation upfront so you don't have to do it in PD

2. Produce to the custom 5.7K H.265 profile I shared

You'll then be able to produce using your RTX 2080 at about 1.2 seconds for each second of your timeline, If you can't do both steps, you're going to have to produce using your CPU which will take 34 hours.

Another option for step 2 would be to see if you can get SVRT to work like I was able to do using your 5.2K sample clip. You can make a 10 second clip right now and try it on your system or share it here. That would let you produce the same project in only a few minutes, but it will only work when you don't convert your original clip to MagicYUV.

YouTube/optodata

MFoist [Avatar]
[Post New]

There's no need because we already have the answer.

Thank you very much https://www.youtube.com/user/MrMadmajkl