Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Screenrecorder not working anymore... it's producing 1Kb file only..
MojoTojo [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 24, 2016 02:55 Messages: 16 Offline
[Post New]

All captures are like the above, 1KB files.
no errors, no warnings, as if all was normal

I have Screen recorder packaged w/ my premium PowerDirector suite
PD Version: 15.0.2026.0
SR Number: VDE160919-04

It's been working fine last time i used it.

1. I've tried to turn off all security measures (firewall, av, windows defender)

2. i've tried rebooting pc

3. i've tried playing with the output formats and settings

4. i've tried setting save directory to another drive

5. i've tried to update in application manager but no new updates suggested.

I give up........

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 27. 2020 00:27

optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
You didn't mention which PD version you have, or what version of SR you're running. If you have the original installer for PD, you may want to run that again to freshen the installation. I don't think you'd need to uninstall PD first.

I have the original SR installed from PD14. It's dated 1/20/2016 and is at version #1.0.0.1320. I also have the newer SR2 that comes with PD365. It's dated 11/27/2019 and is version #2.1.0.7615

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
MojoTojo [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote You didn't mention which PD version you have, or what version of SR you're running. If you have the original installer for PD, you may want to run that again to freshen the installation. I don't think you'd need to uninstall PD first.

I have the original SR installed from PD14. It's dated 1/20/2016 and is at version #1.0.0.1320. I also have the newer SR2 that comes with PD365. It's dated 11/27/2019 and is version #2.1.0.7615

Oh i forgot to, thanks. Updated my thread.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Knowing your PD version helps. There have been 5 updates that you haven't applied, so please select PowerDirector 15 from this page and download and install the latest patch (3929), which includes all of the previous updates.

Please let us know if that solves the issue.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 27. 2020 00:42

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

MojoTojo [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Knowing your PD version helps. There have been 5 updates that you haven't applied, so please select PowerDirector 15 from this page and download and install the latest patch (3929), which includes all of the previous updates.

Please let us know if that solves the issue.

I thought the application manager will take care of the updates or at least remind me of such.

anyway i tried it and i can confirm i am on the latest patch

However, the problem prevails
optodata
[Post New]
I can't tell from your last post if you had to update to get to 3929 (via the App Manager), or if you were already at that version and accidentally posted an older version number in your revised OP. Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling PD?

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jan 27. 2020 12:32

YouTube/optodata

MojoTojo [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote I can't tell from your last post if you had to update to get to 3929 (via the App Manager), or if you were already at that version and accidentally posted an older version number in your revised OP. Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling PD?

I updated the application as you suggested, hence the latest post (version)
i rebooted the PC and tried again for good measure, it's the same thing... screenrecorder is producing 1kb files only
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
MojoTojo, if you have a Nvidia GPU make sure shadowplay is not active, (or do a clean Nvidia driver install and install just the driver) I believe this may conflict with CL Screen Recorder at PD15 when using hardware encoding in Screen Recorder Settings > Advanced.

Jeff
MojoTojo [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote MojoTojo, if you have a Nvidia GPU make sure shadowplay is not active, (or do a clean Nvidia driver install and install just the driver) I believe this may conflict with CL Screen Recorder at PD15 when using hardware encoding in Screen Recorder Settings > Advanced.

Jeff

Yes i do hav nvidia card.. but is this applicable if im not using hardware encoding? Because i did notice that setting in the Screen Recorder but it's unchecked, and the check box is disabled (i can't check it) - so i assume in using software encoding only

anyway i tried full clean reinstall of nvidia drivers.. same issue , im still getting 1kb mp4 files

i openned the file in notepad and this is what it said.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jan 28. 2020 05:30

MojoTojo [Avatar]
[Post New]
Got tired and went and bought 365 , did complete reinstall, and viola. all is well now.
thanks guys
joeyapa [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 16, 2020 03:13 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Any resolution on this? I am using PD16?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 16. 2020 03:48

optodata
[Post New]
Before we can help you'll need to provide the same details we asked OP for. You have a different PD version and we'll need to know the exact version you're using and also get a DxDiag report as described in the Read Me Before Posting guide.
Esseff [Avatar]
Member Location: Germany Joined: Oct 10, 2020 16:47 Messages: 69 Offline
[Post New]
My Screen Recorder stopped working too. Very annoying.

SR 4.2.410672
PD 19.0.2521.0
 Filename
Esseff DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
99 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
252 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 07. 2021 17:53

optodata
[Post New]
SR4 is now at 4.2.6.13448 and you can download the latest patch from here.

Your DxDiag results show that your nVidia RTX2070 driver is several releases behind.

Try downloading and installing v461.72 from this page and then run the installer. Choose the NVIDIA Graphics Driver option then Custom (Advanced). Next, select only the Graphics Driver then click NEXT to start the installation.
Esseff [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote SR4 is now at 4.2.6.13448 and you can download the latest patch from here.

Your DxDiag results show that your nVidia RTX2070 driver is several releases behind.

Try downloading and installing v461.72 from this page and then run the installer. Choose the NVIDIA Graphics Driver option then Custom (Advanced). Next, select only the Graphics Driver then click NEXT to start the installation.

Sorry no change.

And to be honest it worked before, now it doesn't. Not sure how the updates would have fixed anything...
optodata
[Post New]
There are many reasons why updating the software could have solved the issue, but since that isn't the case can you confirm that you're seeing the exact same problem as the OP on this discussion - that you get a useless 1kB MP4 file (and matching .mrk file if you have mouse click capture enabled) when you click the Record button?

If so, have you turned off nVidia Shadowplay/performaed a clean driver installation as suggested by JL_JL?

Or are you seeing something different when you say it's stopped working?
Esseff [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote There are many reasons why updating the software could have solved the issue, but since that isn't the case can you confirm that you're seeing the exact same problem as the OP on this discussion - that you get a useless 1kB MP4 file (and matching .mrk file if you have mouse click capture enabled) when you click the Record button?

If so, have you turned off nVidia Shadowplay/performaed a clean driver installation as suggested by JL_JL?

Or are you seeing something different when you say it's stopped working?

Its a zero byte file

Shadowplay is not enabled. And again, none of these things have been changed. Yes driver has been updated.
optodata
[Post New]
Sounds like your best bet is to contact CL tech support from here. Be sure to paste a link to this discussion so they can see everything that's happened here already.
Esseff [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Sounds like your best bet is to contact CL tech support from here. Be sure to paste a link to this discussion so they can see everything that's happened here already.

Already have. No response
Esseff [Avatar]
[Post New]

Already have. No response

FWIW I installed a free screen recorder (Bandicam) and that also did not work. Same result as with the Cyberlink screen recorder. Still no response from Cyberlink support which is a bit disappointing. Ended up using the built-in Windows 10 screen recorder.