Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
lagging
kenn G [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 27, 2014 02:04 Messages: 7 Offline
[Post New]
Here's a YouTube link to a very short screen capture video that illustrates the problem.
https://youtu.be/cn_f00b3Rfk

In the editing window, all works well until an element is added.
Then there is a serious lagging issue.
This issue began last week. Before then, it worked fine.

Attached is a screen shot with device specs

I performed a disk clean-up.
[Thumb - device specs.jpg]
 Filename
device specs.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
125 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
3 time(s)
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
According to the YT video at 28 seconds, you have the Preview quality set to full hd and the title lags. You then set the preview quality to high and it works fine. Your preview screen is less than ¼ of the area of the desktop so you don’t need full hd in that area. Full Hd(1920 x 1080) is not going to show any better in that confined space.
skifast4.2 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 19, 2019 12:10 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Kenn - I have the exact same issue, just started in the last week. My setup with PD 16 has been very smooth for several years with previews at HD quality, and suddenly it's barely crawling when previewing a clip when there is an element added to the timeline. If I open a new project with only a video clip, it's fine.

The only thing I can think of is that there was a Windows upgrade pushed out in the last couple of weeks; possibly some unexpected issue there?
kenn G [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote According to the YT video at 28 seconds, you have the Preview quality set to full hd and the title lags. You then set the preview quality to high and it works fine. Your preview screen is less than ¼ of the area of the desktop so you don’t need full hd in that area. Full Hd(1920 x 1080) is not going to show any better in that confined space.

Thanks for your observation.

It worked perfectly before last week. So, I'll keep searching for a solution.
kenn G [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Kenn - I have the exact same issue, just started in the last week. My setup with PD 16 has been very smooth for several years with previews at HD quality, and suddenly it's barely crawling when previewing a clip when there is an element added to the timeline. If I open a new project with only a video clip, it's fine.

The only thing I can think of is that there was a Windows upgrade pushed out in the last couple of weeks; possibly some unexpected issue there?

I think you are on to something.

I found two windows updates on December 12.
One I uninstalled, the other will not uninstall.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 19. 2019 16:12

Fenman
Senior Contributor Location: Cambridge, UK Joined: Nov 24, 2011 04:44 Messages: 731 Offline
[Post New]
You could try System Restore. Regards,
Mike

Home-build system:
Intel Core i5 Quad Core 3.3GHz, 2 x 4GB DDR3 1333MHz,
Asus Nvidia GT440 1GB, 2 x Western Digital WD10EARS 1TB, 1 x Seagate ST1000DM010 1TB,
Windows 7 Prof 64-bit, PD 9 Ultra 64, PD 13 Ultimate 64
kenn G [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote You could try System Restore.

First thing I tried, only to discover the Dec 12 Windows updates erased my restore point.
keykent [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 19, 2020 13:56 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Did you find a solution to this? I had not used the program since early Dec and I am now experienceing the same thing.
kenn G [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Did you find a solution to this? I had not used the program since early Dec and I am now experienceing the same thing.

No, I've not found the solution.

However, it seems to be related to a Windows 10 update back in November, 2019.
More recent updates may have the same effect.

Assuming the Windows update is the cause of lagging, the solution would have been to remove the update within 10 days,
which I did not do.

I'm hoping Cyberlink will release a patch. That's not likely, considering PD16 is an old version.
keykent [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 19, 2020 13:56 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]

No, I've not found the solution.

However, it seems to be related to a Windows 10 update back in November, 2019.
More recent updates may have the same effect.

Assuming the Windows update is the cause of lagging, the solution would have been to remove the update within 10 days,
which I did not do.

I'm hoping Cyberlink will release a patch. That's not likely, considering PD16 is an old version.

Thanks for the response. I'm runnng PD 15. I just found a fix. I have an Nvidia GTX 1080 graphics card and updated the driver from their website, and that cured it. Windows said there was no new driver but there was on the Nvidia website.
kenn G [Avatar]
[Post New]

Thanks for the response. I'm runnng PD 15. I just found a fix. I have an Nvidia GTX 1080 graphics card and updated the driver from their website, and that cured it. Windows said there was no new driver but there was on the Nvidia website.

thanks. I will try updating my graphics card.
prevaljo [Avatar]
Member Joined: Oct 01, 2017 22:19 Messages: 105 Offline
[Post New]

I got exactly the same problem, I am using PD14.
So I used my other laptop and bought PD18 and it went smoothly.
Maybe it's like Apple, giving lagging to old versions.undecided

I signed up to this forum for the 1st time especially to complain about this issue.....cool

I'm runnng PD 18 on Win 10, I can't say I noticed lag in the preview window prior to this week (which would have been after a Windows update). I have an issue with an intro text title over 12 tracks of video and JPGs. I put it down to load on the system. But as usual it's not that simple.

To break down and try to identify the cause:

I started a new project, a simple text title 10 sec long, with "Football Team Z" in 36 pt Impact, Orange text, with a 2pixel black border.

I set keyframes for position and size at 2 secs. I then set keyframes at the 10 sec point and expanded the image/text size using the Obect Settings scale width and height to 10. I then put a 2 sec fade out at the end of the text. The intention being in the final video the text would appear to grow over the video behind and then fade. Simple concept but I'm a noobie.

With the preview window set to HD the clip plays OK up until the last 25% at which time it I would say it stutters to the end of the clip. - Not something I would have expected with such a simple video. If I remove the Border around the text the clip plays perfectly.

If I set the Preview Quality to High the clip with the black border plays without issue.

I would have expected PD18 and my desktop (less than 3mnths old) to have handled a simple task like this without any issue.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
There have been cases when PD had difficulty with titles (including one just a couple days ago), and usually there was (or will be) a patch issued to address the problem. There was also at least one problem with titles that slowed down my brand new i9-9900K to a crawl that didn't ever get resolved...

Since you have a test project ready, could you please use Pack Project Materials under PD's File menu and upload the project to a folder on OneDrive or Google Drive and paste a shareable link to it here?

Getting OP's project in the first linked post was crucial in replicating and understanding the problem, and having your project will help determine what the issue is.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
prevaljo [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote There have been cases when PD had difficulty with titles (including one just a couple days ago), and usually there was (or will be) a patch issued to address the problem. There was also at least one problem with titles that slowed down my brand new i9-9900K to a crawl that didn't ever get resolved...

Since you have a test project ready, could you please use Pack Project Materials under PD's File menu and upload the project to a folder on OneDrive or Google Drive and paste a shareable link to it here?

Getting OP's project in the first linked post was crucial in replicating and understanding the problem, and having your project will help determine what the issue is.

Here is my very small project https://www.dropbox.com/s/h6cfervrsvpat2s/Zoom%20Stutter.pds?dl=0 .

It would be interesting to know if it exhibits the same issues.

Cheers
 Filename
DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
80 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
148 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 28. 2020 03:47

optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote It would be interesting to know if it exhibits the same issues.

Yes, it shows the same problem on my system, but the slowdown only starts at the end where the fade transition is. Removing the fade helped as did reducing the preview resolution, but the biggest improvement came when I unchecked the Border setting in Title Designer.

Can you confirm that unchecking that box gives you a full speed preview?

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

prevaljo [Avatar]
[Post New]

Yes, it shows the same problem on my system, but the slowdown only starts at the end where the fade transition is. Removing the fade helped as did reducing the preview resolution, but the biggest improvement came when I unchecked the Border setting in Title Designer.

Can you confirm that unchecking that box gives you a full speed preview?

Removing the text border does infact get rid of the stutter/lag. But it shouldn't have this effect on a simple piece of video.
optodata
[Post New]
Quote Removing the text border does infact get rid of the stutter/lag. But it shouldn't have this effect on a simple piece of video.

I agree that the video is extremely simple, but in reality what you're asking PD to do requires more computational power than your system can work through in real-time.

Even though you're "only" enlarging a title, PD has to create every pixel of that title, smooth the edges (use anti-aliasing) and then enlarge the entire text block by a certain percentage each frame, When the title becomes larger than the screen, it still has to process the entire block of text and it also has calculate where the visible content is and smooth all the edges and try to do all of those steps 25 times each second to give you a smooth preview.

When you add a border, I imagine that would at least double the work that needs to be done for each frame since the borders (with their additional shadowing and ant-ialiasing needs) are more complicated than simple block characters.

I'm not saying there isn't an issue here, only that appreciating how much work is involved may help with managing expectations. One interesting thing is that if I bring up Task Manager to check the CPU and GPU loads, neither gets above 50% even when the preview is stalled, so there may be another issue involved that's causing more of a slowdown.

I will add this to my open support ticket.

One last thing - your DxDiag results show lots of crashes of your radeon software, so you may want to do some troubleshooting to see what's going on. Maybe try uninstalling and reinstalling, or get someone from tech support to diagnose it as it's such a new machine.

YouTube/optodata

prevaljo [Avatar]
[Post New]

I agree that the video is extremely simple, but in reality what you're asking PD to do requires more computational power than your system can work through in real-time.

Even though you're "only" enlarging a title, PD has to create every pixel of that title, smooth the edges (use anti-aliasing) and then enlarge the entire text block by a certain percentage each frame, When the title becomes larger than the screen, it still has to process the entire block of text and it also has calculate where the visible content is and smooth all the edges and try to do all of those steps 25 times each second to give you a smooth preview.

When you add a border, I imagine that would at least double the work that needs to be done for each frame since the borders (with their additional shadowing and ant-ialiasing needs) are more complicated than simple block characters.

I'm not saying there isn't an issue here, only that appreciating how much work is involved may help with managing expectations. One interesting thing is that if I bring up Task Manager to check the CPU and GPU loads, neither gets above 50% even when the preview is stalled, so there may be another issue involved that's causing more of a slowdown.

I will add this to my open support ticket.

One last thing - your DxDiag results show lots of crashes of your radeon software, so you may want to do some troubleshooting to see what's going on. Maybe try uninstalling and reinstalling, or get someone from tech support to diagnose it as it's such a new machine.

Thanks for this, but because a produced video doesn't exhibit the issue and because by reducing the preview quality (not by much I agree) the preview doesn't exhibit the issue, I raised it more out of interest than an "Oh my god it doesn't work" moment.

I am not hugely happy with the Radeon graphics card in my system but it hasn't/doesn't show any signs of distress, but I will take a look.

Cheers
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
prevaljo's title can run okay on a different computer. See the attached.
 Filename
prevaljo title test.wmv
[Disk]
 Description
prevaljo's title in use.
 Filesize
3435 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
139 time(s)
prevaljo [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote prevaljo's title can run okay on a different computer. See the attached.

It runs but if you look closely you can see the slight stutter in your clip. Which is all I was pointing out. The produced video doesn't have the stutter/lag issue so it's not a major issue but something you may notice and not understand as you put together a project.